Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 20] Octavia Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

Compose Octavia's song and then conduct the mighty Mandachord, turning bass, beat and melody into an anthem of devastation.

Please use this megathread to discuss the new Warframe - Octavia (and her Mandachord)!

Passive: Briefly replenish energy for Octavia and nearby allies when abilities are activated. 

Mallet (Percussion)
Rhythmically beats damage into nearby enemies and draws their fire. Damage inflicted on the Mallet increases its lethality.

Resonator (Bass) 
Launches rollerball that charms foes to follow it. When it vanishes, charmed enemies stagger. Combines with the Mallet to create a roving ball of musical devastation.

Metronome (Melody) 
Grants buffs to those who consistently perform actions in time to Octavia’s music. Timed jumps offer the Vivace speed buff. Crouching on the beat grants cloaking with the Nocturne buff. Firing rhythmically bestows Opera a multishot buff. Timed melee swings gives the Forte damage buff.  
*Please note: In missions with multiple Octavias present, the UI will indicate buffs for every active Octavia, but you'll only benefit from the strongest of those buffs. 

Amp 
Draws power from the decibel level of sound in the area and uses it to amplify a damage buff for Octavia and her allies. It also doubles the damage and range of nearby Mallets.

Please note that we will be closely monitoring your practical feedback - feel free to share videos and discussions after playing with Octavia. Non-constructive feedback, dev-bashing, and any other content that violates the Guidelines will be removed.

If you have any bugs to report please post them here: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/776647-update-20-bug-report-megathread/

Share your Mandachord songs here: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/776649-update-20-share-your-mandachord-songs/

Thank you! We hope you enjoy the Update :)

This isn't really an Octavia criticism but i think it still applies here. Not only does Octavia have the Mandachord that creates different effects depending on how it's built, she also has an actual passive. People have complained about this in the past, but I think Octavia's "double passive" can bring this to light again: Chroma. I think it's somewhat unfair to Chroma that his passive is only being able to change his energy color, while Octavia gets the Mandachord and an actual passive.

I builded my Octavia with full duration and strength, no efficiency, flow, and normal range.

She seems to be a lot of fun to play with. Lots of buffs to deal with, not very clear about what her 3 gives you.

One thing boring is that her 3 buffs on allies show like 2 billion decimals. 

Interaction between all her spells is really, really nice. I like her.

Ah, and I love her stance !

Edited by Chewarette

Please give us the option to display the "beat indicator" around our aiming reticle, because that thing on the ground is completely unusable when not playing with melee weapons and even then it is hard to see exactly when to press the buttons. And the beat is too quiet to try and play it by ear.

So question for clarification, but are those "sound" waves during her Metronome an indicator of the beat / rhythm Octavia made that people can follow, or is it just flashy lights?

If its the latter I think it should be changed to the former to make it easier for teammates to receive the special effects from the ability.

And regarding what someone stated up above, I think the interaction between her 1 and 2 should be changed this way - instead of her Resonator always grabbing Mallet it instead should ignore the Mallet until Octavia marks it (like how you mark Cephalon Fragments or Mods or Enemies), thus allowing her to be able to use both abilities at the same time in different areas as opposed to being stuck in the same interaction should she use both.

So i just come out a game with 2 of these new frames octavia and i now know why the nerfed weapons got nerfed. They Ruin the graphics of her ability's and possibly also the sound.

Which brings me to my feedback.

Please for the love of all that is tenno please enable us to enable or disable hearing the music from that frame, i find all the lighting effects also very annoying.

As I planned, her 3rd power (Metronome) is incredibly difficult and annoying to use. We really have to follow the rythm to keep the bonuses up, and focusing on both the rythm, the movement and the enemies is not easy at all. Even worse, the rythm is based on the melody, who has a lot of chances to be rather irregular. In my opinion, a rework must be done : the idea of forcing users to follow the rythm in order to be buffed is something to scrap. It's just not practical at all. The buff should probably come by itself everytime a melody tune hits Octavia.

How about awarding a buff based on a four movement sequence Octavia did rather than awarding a buff for following the rythm ? Basically a bit like dancing. The moves are shoot, melee, jump and crouch. We hit 3 to start registering the moves and the power awards buffs depending of what you performed :

• You and allies get x seconds invisibility for each time you crouched.
  • You and allies get +x% speed for each time you jumped.
  • You and allies get +x% multishot for each time you shot.
  • You and allies get +x% melee damage for each time you used melee

Basically it's like a "pick your own buffs" menu. It's much less intrusive for players and much easier to perform mid fight. And shouldn't annoy players that much.

5 minutes ago, Insane-Mana said:

So i just come out a game with 2 of these new frames octavia and i now know why the nerfed weapons got nerfed. They Ruin the graphics of her ability's and possibly also the sound.

Which brings me to my feedback.

Please for the love of all that is tenno please enable us to enable or disable hearing the music from that frame, i find all the lighting effects also very annoying.

How does it comes that you connect two things into one, first of all all those nerfs meant to balance weapons in-game, and octavia was announced way before the weapon balance patch. Yes, it's quite annoying but the music in the same length as other frames sound when they do their skills. and yes, they gotta use less light effects due to people with epileptic seizures.

Having 16 notes per section irks me some as I'm a sound engineer and studio musician. I'm personally used to working with a lot more options. I was sad to see no bundle for the music packs as well, but that's not really frame feedback.

Her Metronome is also incredibly clunky to use and I find myself not being able to maintain buffs for very long.

While the servers are down I have a moment to get out my thoughts. First impression of Octavia are pretty positive.

• Her 1 ability is awesome, does awesome damage since it stores damage done, and has nice base range. The ability to attact enemies to it is a great bonus and it just feels like a decent ability all around.
  • Her 2 is also pretty fun to use. I dont know if it has health, I haven't seen any enemies strike at it or try and shoot it, but if it does, its a pretty resilient little bugger. I'd imagine it'd be annoying for use in tight defenses when it leads enemies off somewhere. And lastly its just fun seeing a Conga line of enemies chasing the roller around.
  • Her 3 is where I have an issue, and its because its very hard to beat match with her rhythm, since you have to be looking at Octavia to see it, and slow weapons are incredibly difficult to beat match with, and charge weapons are just screwed it seems. Jumping to the beat slows you down when trying to match the sporadic rhythms. Crouching is okay, and I enjoy the buff duration. I haven't actually gotten melee to work yet, so there's that.
  • Her 4 is a damage buff, and a pretty good one. Large range too, and to reach the max sound isn't hard in the slightest. I enjoy the interaction with the 1 as well.

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the effort put into Octavia, however, I would just like to point out the extreme limitations of the Mandachord system. As someone who is versed in classical music, chords, analysis, and whatnot, I find this system to be overly limiting. The D Minor Pentatonic Scale, while easy to compose with and generally harmonious with itself, is extremely limited. It cannot even compose simple songs such as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, not to mention tracks such as Warframe's own Second Dream focus song. I acknowledge that the system should be somewhat limited to avoid absolute dissonance between players, however, I think that the current restrictions are overboard. I would propose, at least a full scale of some sort, as a full major scale in any key also provides notes to compose in minor keys as well. I know that I probably sound nitpicky and pedantic, and I have no idea of the work required for a system like this, and I am also grateful that DE even thought to create a system like this. I simply wanted to voice my opinion. Thank you.

EDIT: Spending more time with this system, I have come to the realization that I cannot even compose Mary Had a Little Lamb at an appropriate tempo using this system.

EDIT AGAIN: I am just now realizing the irony that her name is Octavia but the Mandachord doesn't even have an octave 

Edited by lailaichu

I've experienced 2 problems so far, first off, I made 1/4th of a song, saved it as "Petals" and went to listen to some premade songs for the different sound packs, when i tried to load back up Petals, i realized that it wasn't saved.

I then continued to make another song, which i labeled "Electric Flow", i played in a mission or 2 with it, great, but i just started the Octavia's Anthum quest and in the first mission i play i realized it defaulted the song, idk if my song is still saved or not, i'll update you next time i'm in my ship

EDIT: It was still saved, just not selected, it may have been my fault, but i would double check everything anyway

EDIT2: I discovered the problem, the set song in the Mandachord is tied to your appearance loadout! It would be appreciated if this was made more clear.

Edited by TennoHack

14 minutes ago, lailaichu said:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the effort put into Octavia, however, I would just like to point out the extreme limitations of the Mandachord system. As someone who is versed in classical music, chords, analysis, and whatnot, I find this system to be overly limiting. The D Minor Pentatonic Scale, while easy to compose with and generally harmonious with itself, is extremely limited. It cannot even compose simple songs such as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, not to mention tracks such as Warframe's own Second Dream focus song. I acknowledge that the system should be somewhat limited to avoid absolute dissonance between players, however, I think that the current restrictions are overboard. I would propose, at least a full scale of some sort, as a full major scale in any key also provides notes to compose in minor keys as well. I know that I probably sound nitpicky and pedantic, and I have no idea of the work required for a system like this, and I am also grateful that DE even thought to create a system like this. I simply wanted to voice my opinion. Thank you.

EDIT: Spending more time with this system, I have come to the realization that I cannot even compose Mary Had a Little Lamb at an appropriate tempo using this system.

Came here to comment this. I've been using FL Studio for almost 5 years now, and I would BEG that if nothing else, add more than just quarter note lengths, and a full octave, not just D F G A C. It's KILLING me that I can't even remake some of my own songs with the Mandachord.

Metronome in its current implementation has no place in this game.

Trying to time your actions to match with music will most likely result in death. There are several weapons which make it impossible to shoot on time. On top of that the timing doesn't actually match with the music. Besides the buffs are too short and mostly insignificant to even bother.

Also, it would be great if the instrument preview played the currently equipped song.

Edit

I played a little bit with different song structures and came to a bunch of conclusions regarding Metronome.

First of all, I'll say that contrary to my initial impression, this ability could potentially work well without a heavy rework. However the timing required to gain buffs is either too strict or completely off. Warframe is too fast-paced to require such precise timing on top of your usual gameplay, just to get a buff. Furthermore, it appears that the multishot buff requires more on-time actions than the other buffs, which shouldn't really be that way. Weapons are limited by their fire rate which gets in the way of metronome's timing.

Edited by VentiGlondi

Octavia's abilities are way too big and bright they are an eyesore.

It is difficult to see what's going on with a players abilities flashing on your screen. And not in the same way any of the other frames do this. It's like standing front stage at a concert except I'm playing a video game about killing. Not at a concert. :(

Please tone down Octavia's visual abilities some how. Specifically number 1 & Number 3. Number 1 abilitity pops way too much and is horrible on any missions where you stay in place for an extended period of time. Number 3 when the player jumps it covers up the entire screen of surrounding players and blocks their view. both of these combined with the fact that the colors are bright neon tinted.

Edited by Baoler

23 minutes ago, VentiGlondi said:

Metronome in its current implementation has no place in this game.

Trying to time your actions to match with music will most likely result in death. There are several weapons which make it impossible to shoot on time. On top of that the timing doesn't actually match with the music. Besides the buffs are too short and mostly insignificant to even bother.

Also, it would be great if the instrument preview played the currently equipped song.

Absolutely this. My roommate plays without sound, and I can't carry a tune in a bucket. The 3 is just absolutely painful. Melee in time. That's fine, till you actually attack an enemy and lose the buff. The multi shot buff as well. I was barely able to activate them, then they kept resetting themselves when I actually tried to melee or shoot my gun.