Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 20] Octavia Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

I like her kit in general, but I have a few problems with it. Her 2 resonator, makes it to where the mallet becomes useless since it makes all enemies nearby passive so they won't shoot at the mallet making it stronger, the only way I see using it is to have the mallet out for a while so it gains damage and then throw the resonator out, but since they have the same duration the mallet will disappear before the resonator and you'll have to wait till the resonator goes away before you can put a useful mallet down. And her 3 metronome, is tricky when your trying to go in rhythm with it, I noticed sometimes when i do go on beat with it, I start losing the buff I was trying to get.

11 hours ago, Ennokk said:

Mallet needs to be hit in order to start doing damage. However, Resonator forces enemies to stop attacking and mindlessly follow it. Because of this, the Mallet will not soak in any damage and becomes useless. Throwing out a fresh Mallet won't help because the Resonator will spin back around and pick it up, so you won't be able to use your Mallet at all until Resonator runs out. These skills just do not work together. 

1st skill is longer than 2nd skill. I always summon 1st, let it soak, then boom! 2nd skill.Also, can you share your song? ;3

I love the warframe and their abilities even if I think they eat energy like a hog, but a few things can be changed, some essential for the future of this warframe:

1: Please give us more Mandachord options, like being able to hold a note for a few squares. Also 16 is very limited when in it's current state layering sounds is practically required to make some things sound like they're not made in FL Studio as a first project.

2: I know it just came out, but we NEED more instrument packs. I'll fork over the plat for them, fine. We just need more. None of the samples sound bassy enough to do most kinds of cool EDM type stuff.

3: Triple or more the amount of song save slots that we have now. Only having 5 slots for music means that over the lifespan of Octavia people are going to make a bunch of cool stuff... that you'll have to overwrite frequently, making some compositions lost to time, and that is really, really bad.

Edit: As long as getting more soundpacks continues to give you more slots, this is pretty much fixed with Update 20.0.6

4: Seperate volume sliders for in game music and Octavia music. I often play with the in game music off due to putting my own on often but I wanna hear people's beats.

5: The ability to change key more precisely on an individual note basis. You're worried about players making tracks that don't sound good or sound annoying? Well the creative limits we have now are causing exactly that.

6: Some way to select which track you wanna follow if there is more than one Octavia. Think of it like crossfading with a weapon shot or something.

tl;dr Please more Mandachord options, this is a very creative community and the things that will come from expansion of this feature will be legendary. There will be trolls, but there are always going to be trolls, just look at how everyone is making Sandstorm, one of the reasons for that is because of how limited this system is. At least if we have more creative freedom, you'll see people make stuff that is really high quality.

Edited by WMan22

25 minutes ago, Ruin_Uranor-er-nelde said:

1st skill is longer than 2nd skill. I always summon 1st, let it soak, then boom! 2nd skill.Also, can you share your song? ;3

The problem with this is if you want to build duration the damage falls down to almost nothing. Imo duration is better because spamming the abilities can be micro-management heavy and letting Mallet soak up more damage is better. 

33 minutes ago, Ruin_Uranor-er-nelde said:

Same duration. The only time they differ is if you're leveling her and her #1 is a rank higher than her #2.

On topic: Yes, whilst they do work counter to each other I've noticed that your own bullets can buff the damage just like Absorb so it's not all bad.

Well, I assume they do. I throw down a fresh Mallet and Roller in an infested mission, spam it with Pandero shots and suddenly it's ticking 3k damage.

13 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Same duration. The only time they differ is if you're leveling her and her #1 is a rank higher than her #2.

On topic: Yes, whilst they do work counter to each other I've noticed that your own bullets can buff the damage just like Absorb so it's not all bad.

Well, I assume they do. I throw down a fresh Mallet and Roller in an infested mission, spam it with Pandero shots and suddenly it's ticking 3k damage.

I've just tried to shoot the mallet + roller but it didn't increase the damage. I'm assuming things like toxic eximus', swarm moas etc are increasing the damage.

Came here to add on to the problem other people have with Metronome. While the Mallet and AMP do pretty good together (Resonator is a bit unreliable) and as individuals, metronome is horrendous to use. I get what DE was trying to go for, but effectively using the ability is extremely situational and relies on having a good song (In what world am I going to get a speed buff by jumping to the beat if its a fast pace song?). Also, the multishot buff by shooting enemies on time with the song is a cripple for a lot of the weapons I want to use, especially considering I can't even get the buff using the new primary weapon. The ability feels too situational on other sources such as the weapon you use and my team would hardly benefit from it since I would have to be standing still and hugging them for them to even match the tempo. The only reliable buff is the cloak which happens because you can spam crouch reliably.

I think Octavia needs a rework. I just feel like her abilities all feel very useless when I use them, her 1 and 2 interaction feels very uninspiring and her 3 is very difficult to get the buffs timed right, and her damage multiplier on her 4 just isn't clear enough at indicating what I am even getting from it so I cannot even comment on that. 

She's overall an amazing frame mechanically, but her music and mechanic don't go that well together. EDIT: and apparently the loop is broken public games and it's causing timing issues. I only noticed when I set the whole song to click track and played a few missions.

1. The Mallet and Resonator don't play any role into beat matching. Putting any music on them is purely "cosmetic." This would be fine, however...

2. We're beat matching to Metronome! The ability allows for some of the most melodic and expressive sound musically (including a wub-wub sample set without discernible rhythm), but using it to the full extent makes beat matching a lot more difficult, effectively handicapping yourself.

What I ended up doing was setting the Metronome to... well, an actual Metronome. I was able to gain buffs very reliably, but my teammates tend to find the sound tedious.

The solution I would like the most would be to put the treble/melody on Amplify, and give Metronome either a click track, or the same sound as the Mallet. That will allow us to do something interesting (like using the wub wub on the Delta instrument) without jeopardizing the gameplay.

Alternatively, reducing the penalty on imprecise beat matching would do the trick as well. It'll also give burst fire guns a chance to gain buff.

EDIT: After more testing with click tracks as the Metronome, it's apparent that in public games the song would play an extra ~7/8 of the first bar before starting to loop again. This means if you're trying to beat match towards the end of a loop you'll have to pause and try to pick up the new rhythm... I have a feeling playing with Octavia a lot is going to mess up my internal rhythms eventually.

Edited by Witzel5ucht

I could use some help. This is all I see of the UI. The buttons still work (I can hear things changing), but I can't see anything. I've optimized, verified, relogged, relaunched, restarted my computer, and resized my resolution. Nothing works.

EDIT: I figured out the problem after changing my color scheme, the picture I hung above my arsenal has higher priority than some of the UI elements, and not others: http://imgur.com/UGy6st0

Edited by Pigshark27
edit: problem solved

It seems really random actually, I've seen it do 3s and 4s while its running around, then i turn around and i get a wave of dead things. But I kinda like the raw cc the ball has, and I find it silly it can pick up a mallet and run around with it.

I feel the same way about the not having octaves thing and not being able to set your own tempo. Yeah it would sound really bad if you had two octavias that were using different keys/tempos or even just one octavia that didn't know how to write music or was trolling, but I always thought, "that's why they have pre-made songs: for people that don't want to bother writing their own compositions." The primary reason is probably balance and such like you said. 

But it does seem odd that each ability has it's own duration rather than just having them be togglable. It makes sense for the fourth ability to have a duration. But with the synergy of the first three why not just make them all toggle abilities and then have the passive follow your suggestion: allies get power regeneration based on how many of your abilities are active.

I wasn't expecting an orchestra worth of options.  But I was expecting instruments.  Not synth, synth and more synth.  All the compositions I've heard thus far, have all been synthesized instruments.  Either recorded instrument sounds that were put through a digital mixer or just digitally created sounds.  Maybe...MAYBE two or three of the individual instruments aren't as bad, but still.

The problem with this, for me personally at least.  Is that, I hear past the average frequency range.  So I am picking up a bunch of additional junk reverb and other noise that should not be there and that you will not get with a physical instrument, unless it is horribly out of tune or damaged in some serious way (like a flute with a dent or holes made by damage making the air flow get screwed up).  In short I, A)  Get a headache, because my hearing is tracking all these additional noises.  And B) Subsequently cannot enjoy any of the pieces.

Edited by Gwevare
Bloop

5 hours ago, Rhino said:

I also would want to ability to change octave of the specific key. For example, DE could make it like D1 as the default octave and D2 is the same note but an octave higher. 

Oooooh, that's a good idea. Not making it an octave scale over a pentatonic, but having the ability to change the octave of individual notes would open up so many more possibilities in song writing without making it sound super bad if you had more than one in a mission. Possibly making the notes change color slightly if they are an octave higher or some such.

5 hours ago, SkyCakeLight said:

Edit: I would like the ability to link notes together into half or whole notes. 

This too would also be a nice addition. Making notes held for more beats instead of having multiple of the same not follow each other. Maybe dragging your curser 'links' notes together so it's a sustained sound and individual clicks makes separate notes.

All in all, I'm happy with Octavia. She's good, she's fun, and she has a really unique and fun gimmick. Her mandachord, it's great, it's fun. I think It's a really great idea, but I also think it's far too limited. There are so many things you can't do with it.

So, it's been said that the Mandachord tempo won't be changed to prevent Octavia's becoming a mess of sound. That's fine, although it happens anyway but that's beside the point. So here's another idea, let people make songs at different BPMs, and when a game starts with multiple Octavia's, either pick a BPM randomly, or if players have songs in common with the same BPM, let them choose out of those.

For example, I join a game, another Octavia is there. We both have a song at 150bpm and 180bpm, we can then vote, essentially, on which one we want. We'll still be keeping the same BPM, but we'll have more freedom in the songs we can make, because to be honest, you can't do much with 120bpm. Any cool references are usually in higher bpms.

A larger size would just be great. The whole loop is only 64 notes, and you're very limited in what you can do there. Even being able to loop each section together in a different order would be much better, or layer them in different ways. i.e you have section 1 looping constantly, then the other three sections going 2, 3, 3, 4, or something. I think it'd just be better if it was just larger though. 

The ability to use an octave scale rather than the pentatonic scale, for more freedom in sounds.