The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 20] Octavia Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

22 hours ago, Sakatchi said:

A side note, is the spawn rate on point A of intercepts supposed to be huge? Cause it seemed stupid high tonight.

one point always gets the biggest spawns/attacks, usually I believe the first point that's captured gets the most, pretty much always.

Hey there Tenno,

As a person who loves creating fun pieces of music for Octavia, I am really bothered by the fact that you can not extent a note over one box to make a continuous note over 2 or more boxes. I really don't think it would be that hard to introduce since most sounds are loop-able and the possibility for more fluid sound in songs would be absolutely amazing.

Thoughts?

I'm gonna toss in my two cents here about Octavia.
First off, I like her but I would LOVE her if certain things about her got fixed.

Tying her buffs to doing actions in rhythm with the "melody" track is neat, but not viable with certain songs, specifically now it's basically "Mute Melody and just have it constantly playing" just so we can do these buffs while in combat. It really does limit our choice of music when playing her, instead just make it so "Doing X while active gives Y buff".

Her power 1 and 2 do not synergize....like, at all...it's amazing at how badly they don't synergize so I'm assuming it's a bug of some kind, but the issue is you have one power that in order to do damage has to be SHOT, and then we have another power that pacifies enemies AND it picks up and carries around the thing that has to be shot, that....just doesn't work, the enemies are pacified and thus not going to shoot the mallet, thus making Mallet + Resonator useless, and yes I know it's supposed to do damage based on the number of enemies charmed, but...I honestly haven't seen it do any damage, the enemies just huddle around resonator and scream "GET CLEM!" while the only damage they take is from me shooting them.

But I have a few suggestions on how to fix this, first is to change resonator to not pacify enemies, but to make enemies ignore warframes and focus on shooting the mallet on resonator, not exactly my prefered option. Secondly, Mallet could simply function like Nyx's absorb, where it forcefully pulls enemy shots too it and/or allows the players to shoot it to boost it's damage, as mentioned above resonator pacifies the enemies, making them not shoot, so they don't shoot the mallet and thus mallet does no damage. So allowing players to shoot at the mallet to make it do damage is an alternative, or having Mallet do damage based on the sound, much like how Amp buffs based on sound, would also be very interesting to see, it also helps with the issue of resonator doing the whole "pacify" enemies thing.

Now onto my last issue with Octavia...redeploying her first 2 powers. With Mallet, it's a matter of "I don't wanna lose that sweet damage it's pumping out" and with Resonator its a matter of "I don't want those guys to become uncharmed..." Or in the magical case where you manage to get mallet to do damage while on resonator its "I don't wanna have to do this again.." Simply put, recasting 1 and 2 shouldn't forcefully "redeploy" the power, but simply refresh the duration, much like we do with Nekros and his shadow's of the dead.

Is it possible to have an option that makes adjacent melody notes play a single, longer sound, instead of playing their respective sound many times?

I'm trying to recreate the beginning of this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rSVpgT6rEI

But the vocals just don't sound right, it's like the same voice spams it's note through out the song, instead of having one sound that lasts for a while :c

2 hours ago, Hixlysss said:

Her power 1 and 2 do not synergize....like, at all...it's amazing at how badly they don't synergize so I'm assuming it's a bug of some kind, but the issue is you have one power that in order to do damage has to be SHOT, and then we have another power that pacifies enemies AND it picks up and carries around the thing that has to be shot, that....just doesn't work, the enemies are pacified and thus not going to shoot the mallet, thus making Mallet + Resonator useless, and yes I know it's supposed to do damage based on the number of enemies charmed, but...I honestly haven't seen it do any damage, the enemies just huddle around resonator and scream "GET CLEM!" while the only damage they take is from me shooting them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Metronome with melodies may give u a hard time so sync with the waves, but a mono note covering the whole ring ( a wave every 0.5/1 sec like someone said already ), all u have to do is turn it on, shoot & crouch or melee to get perma buff very quickly lol.

90 mins of perma invis in my last kuva survival is something that i'm afraid will be nerfed soon.

didn't use much the speed boost but invis & multishot were constantly refreshing pretty for 85 mins out of 90 give or take.

the others abilities are simple yet very effective, in her simplicity ( and invisibility cheese ) she's a beast and a bad &#! damage dealer.

i run her mute anyway so i don't bother the team cus i ain't really playing melodies but mono note noises...hence she's been silenced so nobody hears her, oh and dark energy so the eyes are safe too

Edited by arm4geddon-117

4 minutes ago, arm4geddon-117 said:

Metronome with melodies may give u a hard time so sync with the waves, but a mono note covering the whole ring ( a wave every 0.5/1 sec like someone said already ), all u have to do is turn it on, shoot & crouch or melee to get perma buff very quickly lol.

90 mins of perma invis in my last kuva survival is something that i'm afraid will be nerfed soon.

didn't use much the speed boost but invis & multishot were constantly refreshing pretty for 85 mins out of 90 give or take.

the others abilities are simple yet very effective, in her simplicity ( and invisibility cheese ) she's a beast and a bad &#! damage dealer.

i run her mute anyway so i don't bother the team cus i ain't really playing melodies but mono note noises...hence she's been silenced so nobody hears her, oh and dark energy so the eyes are safe too

1zmknyq.jpg

You mean something like this?

yeah all the cells filled, but i filled mine with the notes in the same spot , but something like this. tap crouch a sec or 2, refrsh when the buff is about to expire and u can maintain it up for pretty much all the time you want. with more empty spaces, i found out i wasn't getting the buffs as fast cus i had to sync better so i went for a note for every cell in the mandachord...

Ps: i noticed the allies near me were getting invisibility quite of often too cus it was easier for them as well.

2uzf4uf.jpg

Edited by arm4geddon-117

My only real issue with Octavia is that she doesn't feel all that interactive so far. I mean, making songs is cool, and Metronome requires a little interaction sort of, but most of her abilities are just duration based use and forget abilities. You use them and then just refresh them when duration ends. Metronome doesn't really require that much work to utilize once you get used to it and get the right song, too. And the rollerball thing kinda sucks. 

She's still cool though, but I gotta admit she feels kinda boring to play. 

Honestly, I've found her to be amazing in solo due to her mallet and metronome invisibility. Stick the mallet in a room with lots of doors, maintain invisibility and you can spend most of the mission watching enemies kill themselves while occasionally melee stealth damaging heavier targets.

My issue with her is that you have to be invisible in order for enemies to target and feed the mallet which is almost impossible to do when playing with pubs. The aggro on that thing is abysmal.

On 3/28/2017 at 11:51 PM, LuckyCharm said:

She's lacking that gameplay element that other frames all have in their kits. She doesn't offer you that fun that titania does zipping about in archwing, she doesn't offer you the thrill of a short time of almost invincibility like iron skin does. Doesn't have the Aoe boom ulti like oberon even. Even the frame shes similar to.. vauban, has his vortexes and other displacement abilities to make him feel useful.

I can't help but agree with you. I started leveling her yesterday and, while I am having fun and the music element is really entertaining, she does feel very detached from combat. I think it's a combination of having all her powers be fairly set-and-forget, and that none of her powers form a direct interaction between Octavia and either her allies or her enemies. Granted, it's not uncommon for Bard-class characters to do this, but sometimes it can come off as a little off-putting when it comes to action games.

It's interesting the comparisons you drew in your OP. I drew similar ones to the end of overall theming of Warframes in gameplay. Equinox has quite a few set-and-forget buffs and debuffs, but also has a number of specific actions to suit a variety of situations: the story is "adapt to the situation to ensure victory". Titania can feel pretty passive with her abundance of soft CC, but adding in her ult turns her gameplay into something like: "set the enemies into disarray, then establish my aerial domain and wreak utter havoc". Vauban I feel is the most similar to our dear Bard with all of his indirect powers, but he has so many unique CC options in his utility belt as to make how, where, when and why to set up particular kinds of CC a game in itself. Booben says, "I structure the battlefield itself to our favor".

But with Octavia, I'm not sure what the story is beyond "check out this cool song". She's still very new, so this is bound to change and develop (especially after I learn her better), but she's not really holding my interest as a combatant. I was very surprised, for example, when I learned she could only have one Mallet at a time. I'm hoping for an Augment in the future which lets her have up to 4 Mallets that rotate inflicting a beat of damage across a wider space. Additions like this might help her fill a more meaningful role. She's very simple, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm hoping to see more ways to make the player engage with the mission (or at least with the music a little more) to make her successful.

Edited by SenorClipClop

1BO0gAR.jpg

it even prevent me from playing her :( usual fps in normal play are 48-60fps

now it's down to 15-22 fps if 'just' enable METRONOME
before the latest patch, playing with her is fun, i think this is due to latest patch?

changing 'energy' color don't yield desired result :(

Edited by SamuarJoe

5 hours ago, SamuarJoe said:

1BO0gAR.jpg

it even prevent me from playing her :( usual fps in normal play are 48-60fps

now it's down to 15-22 fps if 'just' enable METRONOME
before the latest patch, playing with her is fun, i think this is due to latest patch?

changing 'energy' color don't yield desired result :(

Thats some horrible drop there, i lose approx 6-7 fps only.

On 3/28/2017 at 11:22 PM, ebya said:

This is what is wrong with her metronome....what's the point of making a song if the best way to play the frame at a fast path is too make the simpliest melody ever...

Player should be rewarded for creating a song instead of being punished to try to make something good.

You are saying imperial march is bad?  I am able to play a very decent rendition on the mandachord

8 minutes ago, achromos said:

You are saying imperial march is bad?  I am able to play a very decent rendition on the mandachord

No.

Im saying that having your creativity cripple by the mechanic of the ability is bad.

Im saying that the amount of timed action to get the buff shouldn't be link to the song itself.

But w/e float your boat

Just now, ebya said:

No.

Im saying that having your creativity cripple by the mechanic of the ability is bad.

Im saying that the amount of timed action to get the buff shouldn't be link to the song itself.

But w/e float your boat

Eeeh, I personally disagree but feel free to feel differently or as you say "w/e floats your boat."

As far as creativity being crippled...  Well, let's be honest here, the Mandachord ISN'T Beethoven piano.  It's fun, and interesting but it is not nearly half as indepth as the more musically inclined would prefer.

12 minutes ago, achromos said:

Eeeh, I personally disagree but feel free to feel differently or as you say "w/e floats your boat."

As far as creativity being crippled...  Well, let's be honest here, the Mandachord ISN'T Beethoven piano.  It's fun, and interesting but it is not nearly half as indepth as the more musically inclined would prefer.

You can make some nice song/loop with it, sure its not a music studio like, but its nice.

Just listen to the average octavia's song, its lame its a song made for her abilities, and only for that.

Just get a loop on percussion with fast part followed by void to allow a nice damage and damage build-up by her 1.

Get something with one or 2 notes per bracket so you will have a nice pacifying setup.

Then put 3 notes per bracket at the begining of each bracket.

Its the most efficient song, easy to time even under lag (as the notes come by 3 in a short tnterval), needs two actions/buff.
Its awfull to hear, and I've cross so many version of this garbage - probably due to youtubers using this on mega bait clic videos-. Sure it will vanish as the same time as the hype,
but still.

So, yes, I wish it wasn't linked to the song.

Edited by ebya

"Octavia's lacking gameplay."

"Remove Metronome."

That makes no sense. It's the most interactive and only unique mechanic she has. It's the only thing that makes her feel like she actually has anything to do with music. I am very much against removing it. If anything, I'd expand on the concept, and reward players for continually playing to the music in complex combinations of actions. Not just any action on any note.

my current feedback is that octavia is mostly great, but her desperately3 needs a fix MECHANICALLY as well as visually.

her other asbilitiess could do with tweaks too

presently, trying to gain buffs by doing stuff in time with the music is a chore, you cant just passively gain said buffs at a decent rate while rushing through a mission, you have to stop, stand dtill, and focus on the rings, and if you are .0000000001 of a second too early or late, there goes your passive buff buildup progress.

not to mention it straight up doesnt match with the audio itself, that really needs a fix, the offset audio makes the ability damn near useless.

her 2 could also do with some range, speed and damage improvements, at the moment its equivalent to a level 5 roller with unlimited health, i would have an easier time just sending out roller spectres, because then the mallet would actually be dealing damage by staying where its placed and attracting fire.

Amp should really move with the frame. its near pointless to cast because Octavia is optimized very well for mobility (augmented by the vivace buff) amp just forces Octavia to stand in one (very small even with max radius) spot.

Edited by Mbgunsling

37 minutes ago, DreamsmithJane said:

"Octavia's lacking gameplay."

"Remove Metronome."

That makes no sense. It's the most interactive and only unique mechanic she has. It's the only thing that makes her feel like she actually has anything to do with music. I am very much against removing it. If anything, I'd expand on the concept, and reward players for continually playing to the music in complex combinations of actions. Not just any action on any note.

Do people even use it? I don't think I've had a single person attempt to get a buff off mine and I don't blame them, because it's way too much work for an insignificant buff and even I have trouble getting anything out of my songs. And trying to do anything other than crouching for invis is doomed to fail. It's a game about space ninjas, everyone's constantly running around killing enemies, nobody bothers to stay in one place and crouch for half a minute to gamble at getting a small buff.

Octavia's abilities are conceptually flawed and have to be reimagined. She's just no fun to play. I have barely touched her since mastering, because I have frames that do things she does, but better, and I get to have fun as well.

On 3/31/2017 at 2:10 AM, Fallen_Echo said:

I dont know when the beats come. you can shot at almost any time and the buffs will go up. I too see when i make a mistake in the notes but they are too close to each other it barely happens. To get buffs from me you just have to mash m1 and you will get buffs.

it is based on your metronome's note

i did was 1 note for every start of the section or whatever is that called 

so if you put 4 consecutive notes in 1 section then you would neep to tap 4 times in quick succession for it to give you 25% buff each (50% for crouch)

X = notes placed 

/ / / / /| / / / /| / / / /|x/ / / /| / / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /|

/ / / / /| / / / /|x/ / / /| / / / /| /x/ / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /|

/ / / / /|x/ / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / / /|x/ / / /| / / / /|x/ / / /|

/x/ / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / /| / / / / /| / / / /|x/ / / /| / / / /|

or this

so if you use metronome, its like about 0.8 sec per click/crouch/melee to get a 25% buff (50% for crouch) and once it reach 100% it will give you the buffs depending on the action you did.

so yeah, just use that kind of notes placement if you focus on buffs. if you want to enjoy music without using their buffs then go whatever notes you create or copy 

so if you do the notes that i just show and hear it, most likely you can do the beat easily and get the buffs not unless you have a slow melee weapon or if possible a reload per shot weapon like vectis i think?