Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thank you for fixing Archwing Camera

xxswatelitexx

I didn't notice it in the patch notes, but finally Archwing Camera is back to Normal ( at least for the tight space areas ).

I can finally zoom around the maze network and feel like a pro driver, not the hot mess that it was before. 
The "New" Camera was like Drunken Circus Bear driving a monster trunk blind folded.  

Now that things are back the way it should be.

Edited by xxswatelitexx

Seconded. Archwing feels like a proper sub-game now. It seems they fixed most of the stuff I found to be dragging AW: the 360 rotation, vacuum speed and range, the movement speed of normal speed. It's easy to navigate now and grabbing items is also no hassle.

Now we just need proper and fun mission types that make us dogfight and move around instead of defending points.

2 hours ago, xxswatelitexx said:

Ya now it is just a question of making those missions and tying them all in properly.
Right now Archwing mostly on gives you archwing rewards - so there is little to no reason to play it.

Inb4 archwing sorties.

They did say an issue that they have is to decide if they want archwing to be a close quarter space combat thing or an open space battle thing then refine it from there. Right now it feels like a bad mix of the 2 imo.

Rewards I don't think they should or will tie non archwing rewards to them though.

I had 4 unranked things the day the new controls hit, and I just found them in my inventory when I booted back archwing for the first time, plus build the last two wings I didnt have. I liked it a bit befor but the new style controls where so bad I never bothered with it.

Edited by Fluff-E-Kitty

Yes, definitely a wonderful thing that we have on by default the old intuitive and smooth control method with a sensible camera, and maybe a speed buff as well, I feel less sluggish when flying around in archwing now than I remember, also the vacuum buff was appreciated.
Hopefully we'll get more missions soon, plenty of planets around the solar map could still have one optional offshoot node, or with the newly designed solar map maybe be daring and place a few archwing nodes outside the planets, around asteroid belts or something, and maybe add an archwing invasion system or at least a crossfire type mission.
I've campaigned for something similar before, an invasion with two massive corpus and grineer ships locked in battle, with their respective smaller fighters, frigates, corvettes, ogmas and Gox's dogfighting inbetween, and if it were an invasion type mission, maybe have three stages to the fights, with first coming in and doing a quick mobile defense, defending a weakened point like a shield projector on your allied ship for a bit until they repair it, then after that clearing out some of the defensive turrets and shields on the enemy ship and fighting some of the fighters, then once the way is clear, fly into the enemy hangar, and do an onfoot invasion reactor sabotage mission, and get back to the hangar to fly out with your archwing and see the ship explode from the outside, fighters scattering around, mission completed.

Edited by SnuggleBuckets

On 28.03.2017 at 6:09 AM, JalakBali said:

Seconded. Archwing feels like a proper sub-game now. It seems they fixed most of the stuff I found to be dragging AW: the 360 rotation, vacuum speed and range, the movement speed of normal speed. It's easy to navigate now and grabbing items is also no hassle.

Now we just need proper and fun mission types that make us dogfight and move around instead of defending points.

Thats just it archwing cant really have space dogfights in old movement, for space dogfights you need 6DoF, reason for that is that every time enemy would fly above you or below you, you would be unable to follow him and that would annoy player.

Reason why so many people(new thread asking for it showed up on forums every week) asked for 6DoF movement in the first place was that we wanted space dog fights and for that we need 6DoF.

This is how space dog fights are supposed to look:

(beginning of video)

space dog fights means that that we can pursuit enemy in any direction or be pursuit from any direction, current model of archwing combat has nothing to do with space dog fights since enemies just fly toward you instead flying around you.

2 hours ago, Culaio said:

Thats just it archwing cant really have space dogfights in old movement, for space dogfights you need 6DoF, reason for that is that every time enemy would fly above you or below you, you would be unable to follow him and that would annoy player.

Reason why so many people(new thread asking for it showed up on forums every week) asked for 6DoF movement in the first place was that we wanted space dog fights and for that we need 6DoF.

This is how space dog fights are supposed to look:

(beginning of video)

space dog fights means that that we can pursuit enemy in any direction or be pursuit from any direction, current model of archwing combat has nothing to do with space dog fights since enemies just fly toward you instead flying around you.

I disagree on "you need 360 movement for dogfights". We got plenty of flight games that's not set in space that have dogfights. The problem right now is the small arena, where fast movement will only get you bouncing from edge to edge. To get dogfighting a reality, there must be a need for constant movement. I would propose the enemies use mostly homing missiles where the missiles are set to follow you just half a second behind and explode. So if you stood still, you'd get hit by these missiles. If you keep moving, you won't. So you would shoot at enemies while moving.

Also, on the AI of the enemies, they already fly around you. There's just little reason for us to move if we could just tank them all and shoot or use melee. So the enemies don't pursue you at this point.

On 30.03.2017 at 2:10 PM, JalakBali said:

I disagree on "you need 360 movement for dogfights". We got plenty of flight games that's not set in space that have dogfights. The problem right now is the small arena, where fast movement will only get you bouncing from edge to edge. To get dogfighting a reality, there must be a need for constant movement. I would propose the enemies use mostly homing missiles where the missiles are set to follow you just half a second behind and explode. So if you stood still, you'd get hit by these missiles. If you keep moving, you won't. So you would shoot at enemies while moving.

Also, on the AI of the enemies, they already fly around you. There's just little reason for us to move if we could just tank them all and shoot or use melee. So the enemies don't pursue you at this point.

Technically yes you are right you can have dogfight without 6DoF, but lack of it would eventually come back to bite you in the &#! if you did long endless mission, imagine situation where enemy fly-by(I am sorry if I used incorrect word, english isnt my native language) directly above you, you aim at him you are about to shot and then suddenly you lose target because you reached limit of your rotation, now you have to waste time(and possibly risk your life in game) to either rotate chacter or reposition yourself to be able to target enemy again.

Situation can get even worse, in space dogfights enemy can fly from any direction including from above or below in those cases your ability to aim at the could be problematic, yes its unlikely to happen but it eventually will happen to someone maybe not you but someone will be affected.

I wouldnt call what enemies do flying around you, at least not in dogfight sense, in dogfights enemy is supposed to either: fly toward you while shooting, then pass you, turn around and once again fly toward while shooting. or be able to chase you while shooting regardless of direction you are moving in, like we see in this video: