Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4K UI Support: Part 2

[DE]Danielle

Heads up - we're making this its own thread since the previous Dev Workshop was before release. Now that we're days into the release of Update 20, we're starting a post-release thread on the topic. 

U20 brought 4K support to our Menus & UI as per the original 4K UI Support Dev Workshop thread, and while we’re excited to have Warframe looking good in 4K, we realize that for those using different resolutions these changes have had a magnifying effect.

Our work is not quite done. 

To save your eyes and restore Menu utility to its former glory, we are working on adding a Menu Scaling Slider in the HUD settings. It will take us some time to touch on all Menus (as there are many), but this will give you the freedom to chose super-sized to kids meal menu UI and anything in between regardless of your resolution. Once we have more solid progress on this, we'll let you know (with examples). 

We still have the nut to crack of text rendering across the board - we'll get to this when we can! 

Thank you for your patience as continue to work on improving UI across resolutions! 

Just now, DepravedKnight said:

Thank you for the update. Will this work include the FOV changes that hit with update 20?

Looking forward to playing more Warframe once this has been fixed! 

Did they change FoV? I noticed something weird but I attributed it to the kingsize UI...

6 minutes ago, [DE]Danielle said:

To save your eyes and restore Menu utility to its former glory, we are working on adding a Menu Scaling Slider in the HUD settings. It will take us some time to touch on all Menus (as there are many), but this will give you the freedom to chose super-sized to kids meal menu UI and anything in between regardless of your resolution. Once we have more solid progress on this, we'll let you know (with examples). 

That solves all of the problems and I'm definitely looking forwards to seeing it in action.

One thing to stress though is that for changes like this you should be releasing more images and such to the community as you develop this so that we can give you feedback on things before they hit live.  Do some comparison shots and such so that people can see whats coming and whats going to happen.  It'll save you guys a lot of heartache and stress.

4 minutes ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Heads up - we're making this its own thread since the previous Dev Workshop was before release. Now that we're days into the release of Update 20, we're starting a post-release thread on the topic. 

U20 brought 4K support to our Menus & UI as per the original 4K UI Support Dev Workshop thread, and while we’re excited to have Warframe looking good in 4K, we realize that for those using different resolutions these changes have had a magnifying effect.

We still have the nut to crack of text rendering across the board - we'll get to this when we can! 

Thank you for your patience as continue to work on improving UI across resolutions! 

Thank you for the update!

I was hoping with the technical issues this caused, that a UI-scaler would be the best solution. I'm hopeful and eager for the implementation due to a friend of mine;
My friend suffers of some visual impairments and he was thrilled back when I introduced him some years back that he could still make sense and see features of the game. Unfortunately as the UI overhaul rolled out, this wasn't the case anymore due to the transparencies and fixed aspects of the UI layer and he's had to give the game a miss since.

Hopefully with some eventual full-UI scaling he'll be able to pick it up once more.

My best wishes for this opportunity's success!

6 minutes ago, DepravedKnight said:

It certainly feels that way. Since update 20 the screen feels zoomed in closer to my warframe, and I find myself wanting to "zoom out". A handful of people mentioned it on the original thread, but I don't recall DE mentioning it - which I might have missed. 

Huh I felt that way too, but like the other person said I put it down to jumbo UI. Interesting.

It would be great to have the option to control the size ourselves.  Ever since the update, I feel like I'm playing in 1920*1080 again, and feel that the scale is just too large for 4k resolutions.  I would have been ok with just decreasing the overall size of the UI by 5-10% (maybe 15% for focus tree).  I know the custom sliders will take a while to put in game and I look forward to playing with the options in the near future.

Edited by AgentJ386

I have to wonder why 4k support was so darned important that it came first before making sure the change didn't adversely affect the rest of us.  I mean, surely the 4k people could have waited?

I'm sure 4k is great and all but do the monitors that support it not have the ability to downgrade their dpi to allow for easier viewing in lower resolutions?  I don't know, I just think these changes are coming in the absolute wrong order.

Slider should have come first, now those affected have to suffer with oversized UI waiting for this to come when 4k users could have simply waited.  It really felt like it was a luxury they wanted not something they needed desperately.  Now everyone else is in desperate need of the slider.

Anyway, yay, progress.

7 minutes ago, Jeahanne said:

Huh I felt that way too, but like the other person said I put it down to jumbo UI. Interesting.

Same for me, right after the update I felt the FoV had changed, then realised the UI was off and figured the FoV was probably fine. My wife still feels like the FoV has changed though, so I dunno.

24 minutes ago, [DE]Danielle said:

....we are working on adding a Menu Scaling Slider in the HUD settings...

Didn't I say something about how it would have been better to do that over in the previous topic?

:P

28 minutes ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Thanks you so so so so much!

Duly appreciated! While I do not suffer from giant font sizes, my issues are on the exact opposite. Since I'm playing on a non-widescreen monitor I can finally see correctly proportioned icons which are no longer squished horizontally, but in turn I have lost some of that vertical depth. The game treats my monitor now as a widescreen as if only the height counts, and thus makes it less readable. Effectively, I have a font size too small for convenient view, but the rest of the scaling and placement is fine.

Furthermore I'd like to ask more of the "Why" questions. Was the issue with the supersize hud happening in QA on non-4k sized screens, and if so, why did you decide to ship it anyhow instead of delaying it until it worked?
What is the underlying issue to have the text not as vector-scalable as the rest of the UI? All icons I see are super crisp. Why is there an issue with the font in the first place? Is it the engine which doesn't play well with truetype fonts aka "not every vector is born alike?"
Is the UI affected by anti-aliasing in the video settings, and if so, why? Because if they're vectors to begin with, no anti-aliasing is needed and maybe would safe some UI artefacts and retain better readability (this is just pure speculation, but I also said "if so")
Why does it feel that the UI is only designed for one aspect ratio and one specific size? Is it too much development time lost to have a more modular design approach that would fit more resolutions and aspect ratios with less scaling issues?

Thanks for keeping it up.

Quality question: Why does the UI render and then get scaled up instead of scaling up and then rendering? I can understand icons looking awful and low resolution, but the text is absolutely terrible, as are many basic shapes. You are using bloody Flash, it's supposed to be vector!

3 hours ago, Xekrin said:

I have to wonder why 4k support was so darned important that it came first before making sure the change didn't adversely affect the rest of us.  I mean, surely the 4k people could have waited?

I'm sure 4k is great and all but do the monitors that support it not have the ability to downgrade their dpi to allow for easier viewing in lower resolutions?  I don't know, I just think these changes are coming in the absolute wrong order.

Slider should have come first, now those affected have to suffer with oversized UI waiting for this to come when 4k users could have simply waited.  It really felt like it was a luxury they wanted not something they needed desperately.  Now everyone else is in desperate need of the slider.

Anyway, yay, progress.

+1

Thank you!

Until then, could you.. revert the changes done in U20? Please!!??

It feels horrible playing like this. I cant see my mouse, many time when using the gear menu, the mouse is always at the top left, and playing with such a high resolution, selecting items from the wheel takes 2-3x the time it used to.. 

4 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:

While its great to see this path being gone down, wouldn't it be better to revert it until the slider is competed. As it stands the majority of players aren't going to be using 4K, thus the UI is going to look quite poor quality.

This will impact any new players coming into the game seeing the really poor UI and them possibly writing the game off completely because of it. Having given them the impression of a terrible quality game.

Edited by Loswaith

I still struggle to understand how people think this update in any way "helped" 4K users and broke things for lower resolutions. We're having the exact same issues lower resolutions are having. It fixed nothing yet broke everything. I had very little issue with the UI in the first place, and I play on a relatively small (28") 4K monitor, but I fully admit this could be personal preference and not indicative of everyone else who plays at 4K. All I know for certain is that I'm not the only one who can't play now without getting headaches from all of the UI issues and the FoV change. This isn't just a UI change that we should adapt to and move on, it actively ruins the game for quite a lot of people. I love this game. I've been playing for a long time. I just went on a hiatus for about a year and came back and was having a blast for the past 3 weeks or so, and then this happened. It doesn't kill my desire to play the game, it doesn't make me not want to play at all, it just makes trying to play frustrating and painful. I understand it's not so easy to just revert the changes, but if possible please try to change it back to the way it was in some capacity until you can work all the kinks out with the system you're trying to implement. 

Edited by adlez231