Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4K UI Support: Part 2

[DE]Danielle

The only issue i have is lets say i want to have a bigger menu and so on, will it just have a zoomed effect or will it keep its sharpness and clarity

7 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:

we'll get to this when we can! 

.... i put my trust in DE.....

5 hours ago, Khunvyel said:

Duly appreciated! While I do not suffer from giant font sizes, my issues are on the exact opposite. Since I'm playing on a non-widescreen monitor I can finally see correctly proportioned icons which are no longer squished horizontally, but in turn I have lost some of that vertical depth. The game treats my monitor now as a widescreen as if only the height counts, and thus makes it less readable. Effectively, I have a font size too small for convenient view, but the rest of the scaling and placement is fine.

Furthermore I'd like to ask more of the "Why" questions. Was the issue with the supersize hud happening in QA on non-4k sized screens, and if so, why did you decide to ship it anyhow instead of delaying it until it worked?
What is the underlying issue to have the text not as vector-scalable as the rest of the UI? All icons I see are super crisp. Why is there an issue with the font in the first place? Is it the engine which doesn't play well with truetype fonts aka "not every vector is born alike?"
Is the UI affected by anti-aliasing in the video settings, and if so, why? Because if they're vectors to begin with, no anti-aliasing is needed and maybe would safe some UI artefacts and retain better readability (this is just pure speculation, but I also said "if so")
Why does it feel that the UI is only designed for one aspect ratio and one specific size? Is it too much development time lost to have a more modular design approach that would fit more resolutions and aspect ratios with less scaling issues?

Thanks for keeping it up.

I just wish they had a button to revert back to the HUD/UI pre U20. This new UI brought more problems than fixes.

Edited by SLIMJIMMONSTER

Don't forget to do something about that undocumented FoV change introduced with the same update as the UI and which is most likely related !

10 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

Did they change FoV? I noticed something weird but I attributed it to the kingsize UI...

Edited by lukaself

11 hours ago, Xekrin said:

I have to wonder why 4k support was so darned important that it came first before making sure the change didn't adversely affect the rest of us.  I mean, surely the 4k people could have waited?

Fear not, we're not getting any special treatment. It looks just as bad on a decently sized 4K monitor as any other 1080p/1440p monitor.

DE's "4K UI support" is a complete misnomer, as the only thing it fixes, is the size of the UI on a small display with a high resolution. Anyone with decent eyesight, and a >24" monitor would likely agree that the UI on 4K looks completely absurd right now.

Right now, on 4K, I can't even read the text comfortably without moving another meter away from the screen.

2 hours ago, Primed_Noob said:

-Snip-

DE won’t admit it but I fear that the changes were made to please Microsoft/Sony and DE didn't get much say in it.

Microsoft in particular have a habit of enforcing a rule that their console games must look the same on every screen, this ends up with UI’s being designed for the minimum required resolution and getting scaled up to look the same on every device.

It seems harsh to hope that someone gets fired as a result of these problems as they likely weren’t given a choice, UI is very hard to get right with the wide range of resolution/screen combinations and the oh so fun restrictions placed upon them by 3rd parties.

It is also impossible to test every hardware combination for bugs which are likely only affecting a small percentage of users (let’s be honest if they were affecting everyone there would be a lot more people complaining as it is literally impossible to start missions for some people).

I have to admit that I expected DE to leave the PC version as it was until they could get a scaling system that worked better and made better use of whitespace on higher resolutions however this mistake has been made and we can only hope they fix it quickly.

DE have stated that the blurriness, scrolling, overlapping and hitbox bugs will be fixed asap so hopefully we can all play again soon :D.

"To save your eyes and restore Menu utility to its former glory, we are working on adding a Menu Scaling Slider in the HUD settings."

Hopefully there will be option to set Menu scaling smaller than pre-U20 and not only pre-U20 >>> higher

18 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Heads up - we're making this its own thread since the previous Dev Workshop was before release. Now that we're days into the release of Update 20, we're starting a post-release thread on the topic. 

U20 brought 4K support to our Menus & UI as per the original 4K UI Support Dev Workshop thread, and while we’re excited to have Warframe looking good in 4K, we realize that for those using different resolutions these changes have had a magnifying effect.

Our work is not quite done. 

To save your eyes and restore Menu utility to its former glory, we are working on adding a Menu Scaling Slider in the HUD settings. It will take us some time to touch on all Menus (as there are many), but this will give you the freedom to chose super-sized to kids meal menu UI and anything in between regardless of your resolution. Once we have more solid progress on this, we'll let you know (with examples). 

We still have the nut to crack of text rendering across the board - we'll get to this when we can! 

Thank you for your patience as continue to work on improving UI across resolutions! 

Cool, I'm not too worried about the size of the menus just the quality. The current "bugged" menu size is ok with me, but the low res menus are murder for my eye focus. Going from a high res gameplay situation to pulling up your gear tab and suddenly my eyes are like "Where do I focus?!"

21 hours ago, egregiousRac said:

Quality question: Why does the UI render and then get scaled up instead of scaling up and then rendering? I can understand icons looking awful and low resolution, but the text is absolutely terrible, as are many basic shapes. You are using bloody Flash, it's supposed to be vector!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the update didnt help anyone. 4k players do complain about it being ugly. you habe still to rework text rendering as stated in the post.

anyway, kinda ty for at least saying that you're not done with it and lest HOPE YOU DO actually work on it to have it done right asap; instead of leaving it in a corner as with many other stuff...

Is there any chance you can include the expanded map in this scaling?

A few months ago you changed the expanded map to make that HUGE, and I really never used it because things were too small to make out, I expand the map to see more area, the minimap is simply too.. tiny.

Ever since the expanded map.. zoom in, my game map options have been:

#1, minimap, seeing perhaps 20m away from you at most, I cant find a thing here and just get lost.

#2, expanded map, more area, though still not far enough, and now takes up most of the screen when it's open, when there's no reason to, this way the useful range map is in the way of the game.

We really need a middle road here.

Or just the old map back.. The current one may look better if I were playing from a couch.. but I'm not.. I'm sitting in a desk chair, at a regular PC, and for PC it's just too much.

So yeah, please include the map in that scale slider :)

Edited by enizer

YES! A slider! I love sliders! Especially ones that have numbers attached to them!

while you're at sliders, can you attach a FOV value to FOV slider? And even make it go a bit further (120ish would be nice)? AND make it work in Realys? FOV never worked in relays :(

Slider hype!
0-vow.gif.1f2f771e6599536d677e15aa2aba5a

1jcJYMAD_400x400.png

Edited by Error989

I'm not entirely sure if saying "thank you" is the right thing to do here.
Let's be honest here, DE did their job bringing us U20 and they messed up. If I mess up at work, I have to correct my mistakes. Nobody is saying "thank you" to me, because I have to do my job the right way.
It's nice to see DE is fixing the problems. But why do they even have to fix things like this in the first place? How did nobody see the issues while testing this new feature? Who said "This looks fine, let's bring it live"?

11 minutes ago, Tzunny said:

Just reverse it to the state it was 1 week ago until figure it out how to do it properly...

They cannot simply "reverse" the changes since reversing the changes would likely break a lot of the QoL UI improvements they added this patch. Also, the UI upgrades for those running 4k resolution(I wish this was me:sadcry:), would also get reversed.

Instead, the devs seem to have their minds set on taking this as a learning experience, where they can figure out how to properly size their menus to allow scalability, and also how to implement and present options to the user which would allow us to customize our UIs as we see fit. Rather than rushing things, we should just give DE time so that they can give us something better than what we previously had(even if most people are oblivious of the scale of these changes). Who knows, maybe we will see more UI customization in the future due to this.

20 hours ago, adlez231 said:

I still struggle to understand how people think this update in any way "helped" 4K users and broke things for lower resolutions. We're having the exact same issues lower resolutions are having. It fixed nothing yet broke everything. I had very little issue with the UI in the first place, and I play on a relatively small (28") 4K monitor, but I fully admit this could be personal preference and not indicative of everyone else who plays at 4K. All I know for certain is that I'm not the only one who can't play now without getting headaches from all of the UI issues and the FoV change. This isn't just a UI change that we should adapt to and move on, it actively ruins the game for quite a lot of people. I love this game. I've been playing for a long time. I just went on a hiatus for about a year and came back and was having a blast for the past 3 weeks or so, and then this happened. It doesn't kill my desire to play the game, it doesn't make me not want to play at all, it just makes trying to play frustrating and painful. I understand it's not so easy to just revert the changes, but if possible please try to change it back to the way it was in some capacity until you can work all the kinks out with the system you're trying to implement. 

What "FOV change"? all that's altered are the non HUD UI, that is barely shown while playing.

If you truly "Struggle to understand" then I'm afraid it's just ignorance on your part, seemingly willfully as it's been explained quite reasonably. You may not like this in-between state, but the level of hyperbole here is just... it's pretty sad.

Edited by SilentMobius