Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

HELP PLEASE: Warframe Freezing Screen(game still plays in the background)

HoBoxX7Xx

As the title to this topic states is that when ever I'm doing any mission about half way through said mission my screen will freeze and warframe will continue to play like normal in the background. I can jump, use my attacks, hear the enemy, etc. 

When I played Warframe a few years ago I never had this bug until middle of last year(i think) when I downloaded it on my PC again finally. This freezing keeps me from progressing at all in the game and it just bums me out because I enjoy playing Warframe a lot...But having to lose all that experience, loot, etc. because I have to close out of the game mid mission just ruins it entirely :(

My FPS in the game is completely fine with everything maxed out at 1080p on a 144hz screen. I usually stay above 144 FPS while only really going lower than 144 to about 20 during the loading flight screen. 

My temps are completely fine as well as they never go above 60 from what I have seen. Average in Warframe is about 55.

Things I have tried that have not worked:

1. Disabling DX10 with DX11 on.

2. Disabling DX11 with DX10 on.

3. Disabling both DX10 and DX11.

4. Disabling Fullscreen(having windowless border fullscreen in settings too).

5. Disabling Fullscreen and DX10 with DX11 on.

6. Disabling Fullscreen and DX11 with DX10 on.

7. Disabling Fullscreen, DX10, and DX11.

8. Deleting that dx9 cache file and having the warframe launcher reinstall it.

9. Verifying through Warframe &/or Optimizing through Warframe.

10. Disabling PhysX.

11. Underclocking my GPU

12. Tried reinstalling Warframe onto my SSD.(Didn't work so I reverted back, I save my SSD for games and programs that need it most)

13. Using 60hz on my 144hz monitor instead and even tried capping the frames at 60(at 60hz) and 144(at 144hz).

Numbers 8-10 I have tried using on 1-7 with no fix to be seen. Only wanted to underclock my GPU once to see if it would help, but since it did not I reset it to stock clocks.

My Laptop is a 2015 MSI GE72 2QF Apache Pro.

Specs:

CPU- Core I7 5700HQ which has a boost clock of 3.4ghz while the stock is 2.7ghz. (It is a quad core but my laptop says it has 8 cores? I think that is because the hyperthreading?)

GPU- Nvidia GTX970M 3GB

RAM- 16GB (not sure on the frequency)

I don't think the other specs are completely necessary? If so I can pull whatever is needed up.

Edited by HoBoxX7Xx

Bump!

Still nothing yet it seems :/ I tried running the game again last night with bordered windowed mode and only DX10 enabled. It worked for the first mission. I actually got through the mission and got really excited. Went to my next mission and it froze....This is really so damn irritating...

So I thought I had fixed it after reinstalling my GPU drivers completely. I was wrong....I would still get weird freezes but not as frequent. Then, the freezes that I reported earlier ,where the game would still run in the background, had started to happen yet again. I almost thought it was from enabling some enhancement settings with my logitech headset because I noticed they sorta started happening after I re-enabled them(had them disabled as streaming on twitch with it enabled makes the sound very very awful). Tried it, didn't get a freeze but then I did. I then thought it was for how fast my battery would drain with warframe. I made the output stable and then tried it. Froze regardless.This is seriously getting ridiculous and I have not gotten a single reply from any DE support nor any person on these forums. This is a serious issue that I really would appreciate some help and assistance with.

• 1 month later...

Same issue here, sometimes i can get an hour of play in before the white screen hits, sometimes its only a few mins, ive tried every setting combination i can think of and it still happens. But the game is so fun and addictive that ive struggled through it for a week now, its getting old tho.

Edited by Grimlord8311

• 2 weeks later...

i am having the same issue but its with the last mission of stolen dream quest in which u have to retrieve that machine on mars.... every other mission and alerts work just fine.....i have tried everything but nothing works....i cant progress through the story...help please...i use intel hd graphic card and even set the graphic setting to lowest and windowed the game... but still no use

Edited by muhaddas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

bump, same issue here. 

i7 4790k 
16GB RAM
GTX 1080TI with G-SYNC (Card is factory OC´ed)

(I removed all overclocking, driver DDU reinstall)

I found some advice on a general Nvidia Driver Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6vrcs6/driver_38541_discussion_thread/

"If your driver still crashes after DDU reinstall, try going to Go to Nvidia Control Panel -> Managed 3D Settings -> Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance."
Worth a try, as it seems it has something to do with clockspeed, power target etc from what I found in several threads.

I adjusted the setting as mentioned above, its better now. I had Warframe run for about 7 hours without crash, BUT at a certain point, always in 4 player missions, it crashed again.

I read in another post, a guy increased his power-target on the gpu, and underclocked the card. I did so as well to give it a try. Interesting outcome, the game got out of sync from time to time. My mates said my char was constantly sliding and jiggling and I could move around, but I could not shoot or loot. Like a massive lag. After going into the settings I was able to somehow get the game in sync again, but another time this happened it did not work, and I had to restart.

I will try and DDU the drivers again, and install without Nvidia Geforce Experience, and maybe reinstall Windows.

My card is at normal temps, and in all other games rock solid.

Update from my end. After remove the driver with DDU, and re-installing it withtout G-Force Expirience I had no problems, but I also did not had to long sessions.

I noticed that it only crashed in party play, single player was fine always. Last option would be a windows - reinstall. Maybe somebody at DE could share some things I could do or log to contribute to this issue.

edit: this is so frustrating... wave 20 and it crashed, could not rejoin because it was over. -.-

Edited by n0aimatall

Did all the steps mentioned above, including the one from @HoBoxX7Xx.
I also re-installed my system, newest everything, changed ports and PCI-E Slot, reset bios, still the same issue.

This makes Warframe not playable for me atm.

Edited by n0aimatall

When I tried fixing mine, I looked at all of the available suggestions and read thread after thread and paid attention to the issues that others tried, and took note if there were any issues that arose from others' suggestions. I decided to try the simplest out first, that I thought would not completely break the game. I tried the whole Verifying through Warframe &/or Optimizing through Warframe first. That didn't completely fix it. Second, I did what I said in my previous post. Additionally, I fiddled with the in game graphics settings, and ended up shutting off motion blur. Whichever one of those three that I tried worked and I didn't experience any more issues.

It may be possible that one of the fixes that you tried was one of those that people were claiming made matters worse. Other than that, I should probably add that I have a fairly new computer (bought at tax return time). I also configured my FireFox under performance to NOT use hardware acceleration.

This is not meant to be a solution to anyone's specific problem, but rather an account of what I personally did when I had this problem. Good luck.

9 hours ago, Unfix said:

I use to have this issue when I was using the TAA feature for Anti-Aliasing.

Thats exactly what I found out today... after really testing a lot of settings, I switched of everything and enabled every single setting one bye one after each mission until it started to crash and TAA was the reason.

I just had my first 4h session since ages... holy crap!

5 hours ago, n0aimatall said:

Thats exactly what I found out today... after really testing a lot of settings, I switched of everything and enabled every single setting one bye one after each mission until it started to crash and TAA was the reason.

I just had my first 4h session since ages... holy crap!

Glad you figured it out. I was able to fix it by upgrading to a 1070. ;)