Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Requiem [Fan-Fiction]

Rakawan

Chapter 1.

"Pay her no heed." Margulis said as the Achimedean stared at Felicity. 

The young Orokin turned her head, examining a panel as the tram began to move. The craftwork was impeccable, but beneath the glass she could see the systems and gears. The power cell led to the console and to the....

Margulis chuckled. Felicity suddenly perked up, and looked around. Had she missed some joke? She should have paid more attention to her mentor. Her father was right, she did tend to lose herself in....

"Not so obviously." The elder Orokin gently chided her, staring out the window of the tram. "She still deserves respect."

"It would be easier if she showed some respect to us." Felicity snapped.

Margulis turned from the window to stare at her.

"Forgive me ma'am." Felicity said. "I spoke out of turn."

"It one's actions that earn or lose respect." Margulis said, after a long pause. "Not one's blood."

Felicity braced herself for another lecture on proper etiquette, but Margulis simply turned to the window again.

"I will not always be here to guide you, young one." She said. "I can only hope you will remember my lessons. 

Their first stop was always the worst. The unstable ones. Felicity recoiled as the child threw itself against the glass. Fingers with nails sharpened to claws scraped the shielded glass.

"You did this!" The girl screamed. "Are you happy? Is this the monster you wanted?"

She scraped and pounded on the glass.

"Why has she not been tended to?" Margulis asked.

"What?" The worker asked.

"Her arms are still bleeding." Margulis said. "Why has she not been treated?"

"She destroyed the last drone we sent in there." The worker said. "It took two Dax to restrain her after she used the core to cut open the locks."

"Then sedate her." The Orokin replied.

"She has resisted the sedatives." The worker said. "Last time she played dead until we got close. She's a..."

"She is your patient." Margulis said. "It is your job to treat her. See to it that her wounds are tended to or I will find someone who can.
If you need a stronger sedative then requisition one."

Margulis handed Felicity a datapad as she unlocked the next set of doors. This section was her favorite. This patient was her favorite, but first.

She unlocked the door and stepped inside.

"Here." She said. She held out a spare datapad. "But you have to promise not to make a shiv out of this one."

She heard a laugh from the next room.

"Fine." The boy said, snatching the tablet from her grasp. "I wasn't going to use it anyways."

She locked the room after her, after checking his vitals, and proceeded to the next door.

As she entered a butterfly, made of a vibrant golden light circled around her head once and then came to rest in the young lad's hand. 

"If you keep doing that they will sedate you." She said. 

Ryoko shrugged.

"Then the voices will stop." He said. "Besides it was worth it."

She brushed a stray hair behind her ear and tapped on the data pad. 

"So how have you been sleeping?" She asked. "Any more nightmares."

"Not since the new treatment." He said. "How are you adjusting? I heard you were promoted."

She leaned against the wall.

"I did not know there where so many of you." She says. "If not for Margulis I would be overwhelmed."

Ryoko laughed. 

"I am certain she says the same of you." He replied, before knocking on the wall.

"Anything good?" He asked.

"Sentient gained ground near the Outer Terminus." Dirge said. "They think Eris may be next."

"It's a good staging point." Ryoko said. "Remote, defensible."

Felicity felt her eyes droop as he talked. It had been a long day.

There was a rush of air and suddenly he was standing before her, offering her a chair. 

"Sit, rest." He said. "You must be tired."

She shook her head.

"I should rejoin Margulis." She said. "She probably needs my help with the tests."

Ryoko nodded.

"Well then fare thee well, my lady." He said, as the doors hissed shut between them.

Felicity let her mind wander as she walked down the halls of the facility. She wonders how long the Zariman children would be kept there. 

She laughed as she imagined walking in on an elderly Ryoko.

Margulis was in the labs, looking at a vial with a strange face.

"Sorry I am late." Felicity said. "Shall we begin?"

"No tests today." Margulis said. "You may head home."

Felicity stopped.

"Margulis?" She asked. "Is everything okay?"

Margulis was silent a moment before answering.

"No." She said finally. "But it will be. Go home child. I have asked much of you, and you deserve rest."

Felicity wanted to ask her about it, but the thought of hot food and a warm bed drew her from the lab. 

As she landed at her families tower she saw her father and uncle speaking. They fell silent as she approached. 

"Father, Executor." She said, bowing.

"You have grown." The Executor said. 

"She has made us both proud." Her father said. "She has been working at the facilities on Lua."

The Executor turned his full attention in her.

"With Margulis correct?" He asked suddenly.

"Yes." Felicity said. "She is..."

"Just as an assistant." Her father corrected. "She is very dedicated to the empire."

"What a strange thing to say." Felicity thought.

Her father turned to her and smiled.

"Your mother wishes to speak with you inside." She said. "You should not keep her waiting."

The Executor's eyes did not leave her as she walked off the platform and inside the tower.

Edited by Rakawan