Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm so sick of screen shake

AdunSaveMe

Everything is screen shake. Explosions, gunfire, melee, jumping. You go to the moon and have to endure what feels like a full minute of it whenever something collapses. There's constant passive screen shake. There's screen shake every other moment of gameplay. Even recoil is screen shake. It is genuinely sickening to experience, but there remains an absurd amount of it at all times.

Screen shake is like jump cuts in movies; just having more doesn't make it more exciting. It makes it annoying to deal with and painful to watch.

We do not need this much screen shake.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

+1

Too many fun guns give me a headache to use because they just shake my screen around too much to be reasonable. Staticor, as an example. Just doesn't feel necessary for a lot of the stuff it's on. 

I get that it does add an effect of feeling like you're actually hitting something (which is why I can kind of excuse the presence on hammers and the like), but it can be way too much. 

One of the DE Devs has claimed what seems to be an unwholesome love of screen shake. 

Screen shake is how they do recoil. It's omnipresent when the Simulor is in town. It's such a primitive way to make the player feel like something big is happening; I would love it if they ditched it. 

11 hours ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

Screen shake is how they do recoil. It's omnipresent when the Simulor is in town. It's such a primitive way to make the player feel like something big is happening; I would love it if they ditched it. 

Recoil needs to be updated anyway. What better time to make it its own thing instead of being screen shake?

11 hours ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

One of the DE Devs has claimed what seems to be an unwholesome love of screen shake. 

I know. It's somewhat upsetting. Even J.J. Abrams realised his love of lens flares was too much.

+1 been complaining about this forever and yet it has only gotten worse.

so many a abilities cause screen shake,  your own or your ally's.  I can't stand having vauban in my group anymore because bastille causes insane screen shake when you're near it.

EV,  screen shake,  vortex,  screen shake,  screen shake everywhere,  please stop for the love of humanity.

8 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Recoil needs to be updated anyway. What better time to make it its own thing instead of being screen shake?

Definitely at least recoil - I can't think of another game where recoil is accomplished by screen shake as opposed to crosshair movement and bloom.

@TaylorsContraction I was thinking about the other sources of shake, and think maybe a "turn off ability screen shake" option would be good too. It's kind of like some shooters that have a "turn off HUD sway while moving" option. 

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack