The Remote Observer: Vol 1

[DE]Taylor

X0FDRFI.jpg

Introducing: The Remote Observer!

Sometimes our patch notes end up more like patch novellas, which means important changes don't always get the highlight they deserve. If you want a TL;DR of what happened in Warframe's development during the week (or two, for this first edition), The Remote Observer is for you! For those rare weeks where our hotfixes are sparse, we'll discuss some QOL changes at are coming in the pipeline, but aren't ready to be released. Any feedback on this new segment is appreciated to ensure it fits our community's needs.

Read Volume 1 of The Remote Observer here.

=== 

The world of Warframe is huge with plenty of nooks and crannies for bugs to hide in - we simply can't see them all! If a feature or a mechanic isn't working the way it is intended, use this thread to let us know and include links to your own threads if you got 'em. We are also always looking for potential QOL changes from UI upgrades to mechanic tweaks. Be sure to share your ideas with us below - even if it's a question about intent!

Spoiler

P.S. Awesome header art by @[DE]Aidan! Yes, it's not a Remote Observer but compiling this list is an act of both watching and listening. (plus this looks cooler)

Edited by [DE]Taylor
bolded the title because I can

5 minutes ago, (PS4)RyanRFC12345 said:

Is this thread specifically for game breaking bugs or also minor bugs? 

I would say bugs that have persisted for quite a while or ones that affect quality of life features (or both). Ospreys' behaviour not working properly when under Nyx's Mind Control is an example. Not being able to scroll in your Friend's List is another.

If you look at what is included in this volume, that should give you an idea of what we're looking for.

Hopefully this cleared things up a bit! 

1 hour ago, [DE]Taylor said:

We are also always looking for potential QOL changes from UI upgrades to mechanic tweaks. Be sure to share your ideas with us below - even if it's a question about intent!

I have a few QoL changes I would love to see added to Warframe. 
1. When a player clicks a linked item in chat, they can see the amount of that item they have in their inventory.
This has already been added to a few items, but not all items. If this was added to all items, including mods, trading would be much more convenient.

2. When the expanded map is opened, the player can re-position it.
The default location of the expanded map ends up covering the cross hair(see 4:25) on most tile sets. The option to re-position or resize the map separately from the rest of the HUD would allow us to see our cross-hair while navigating through tile sets.

3. True toggle sprint.
When the player toggles sprint on, performing a maneuver will break toggle sprint. Instead, toggle sprint should act the same way as holding down the normal sprint key. Toggling sprint again should act the same way as releasing the sprint key.

4. Better flashlight/ dedicated flashlight keybinding.
Having the flashlight automatically turn on means the player has no control over whether or not they can see where they are walking. The flashlight is also positioned awkwardly towards the players feet, leaving the player with not much control of choosing where they want to shine their flashlight.

5. When changing a keybinding, tell the player what keys were unbound in the process, or allow them to bind multiple keys to the same key.
When configuring keybindings, the allotted keybinding:key ratio is one to one. When the player binds a keybinding to a key already in use, that key is removed from the old keybinding without the player's knowledge. 

6. Adding an energy cost indicator next to the ability power wheel on the HUD. Letting the player know what their current buffs do.
It is hard to tell how much energy your powers cost. Also, seeing buffs icons with no descriptions is hard to interpret. If the 'show player list' keybinding and the 'quick progress view' keybindings had a child, it would act as a hold to view overlay screen that displays all your current buffs and what stat they are buffing, with in depth descriptions/ the name of the player who provided the buff. 

Edited by XIceBladeX
I accidentally pressed submit.

57 minutes ago, [DE]Taylor said:

If a feature or a mechanic isn't working the way it is intended, use this thread to let us know and include links to your own threads if you got 'em

How about changing the minimum requirements for Warframe on Steam?

For instance, Warframe takes up 21ish Gb of space. On steam, it says 10 is required.

Bug: When playing on your own (solo, Invite Only, Friends only) on Corpus Excavation missions After 3-4 Excavators the spawn rates of Power Cell Carrier mobs declines to the point that only on is spawning every few minutes. This makes it pointless to actually play endlessly.

Worse it makes Sortie excavation missions extremely painful, where the only viable way to complete them is let the extractors get destroyed for the 20 Cryotic a time

UI Change Suggestion: Being Able to hover over a relic in the Mission rewards screen and a tooltip shows what can drop from it, as well as a count of how many of that relic you currently own.

15 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

Sorry for posting again, but now that I actually read this -- twice you guys forgot to mention Banshee did receive a nice and beautiful PBR update! I know her Prime just released but baby deserves some love too!

... although it has some issues >_>

This is more focused towards changes you might have missed or not see unless you know to look for them. Everyone can see Banshee in her radiant PBR glory! :heart:

2 minutes ago, [DE]Taylor said:

This is more focused towards changes you might have missed or not see unless you know to look for them. Everyone can see Banshee in her radiant PBR glory! :heart:

Unfortunately, I think most people don't because they've been blinded by gold...

Spoiler

Banshee's 4th tint is metallic now, and it used to be yellow. BEHOLD THE ONLY GOLD NON-PRIME WARFRAME.

On the other hand, and a bit more on the other side of things, do you think we could get at some point full patch notes on PDF or something? I'd love to see that madness, even if it's only once LOL

Edited by NightmareT12

This is a very neat format to showcase some of the changes. When Uptade 20 fell, I had a hard time skim reading through all the patchnotes while testing out Limbo and starting the new research and quest.

I have conflicted feelings about the whole "use this thread to share bugs you know" because I sometimes use the bug reports section of the forums and both places of bug reporting can leave us wondering if it was worth it most the time since we do not know what bugs or issues you are (or become) aware of. This lack of feedback is understandable, at least for me, since I don't see what you could gain by saying "oh yeah we know X is doing Y but don't have time for it atm" and responding to all the bug reports is not productive. I'm not asking for anything from the dev team, but just saying, it leaves a nagging thought.

Regardless, I have a little question/bug report of my own that has been bothering me and other players for quite a while now:

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but why can we not use the flashlight if a room is pitch black, if we have abilities on? My Ember's WOF is not enough to light up the room(http://imgur.com/ZgM39XF), and the same can obviously be said for Loki's invisibility. Even after turning on reflective lights, a lot of dark tunnels force me to move around blindly, and the minimap doesn't show you if you're running into a rock or crate.

Edited by AzoreanEve

7 hours ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

Bug#1 : Friendly fire should be removed entirely from Nyx absorb and assimilate. Friendly fire is not needed and can intentionally or untentionally results in griefing or trolling. Thank you

• Radiation proc cannot be self-inflicted even with a self-damage weapon (unique among all procs AFAIK), because it allows friendly fire and thus has grieving potential
  • Nyx Absorb/Assimilate take friendly fire, draining its entire energy reserve in seconds and rendering Nyx utterly vulnerable

If this isn't a bug, I don't know what is.

Edited by Mattoropael

While DE has done a great job in providing options for Warframe cosmetic customization there is one aspect that seems to have been overlooked. For frames such as Banshee and others that have asymmetric cosmetic armor (typically on the shoulders) the "None" option is not available for the default cosmetic piece. If for example, the frame has a default armor on the left shoulder but not right shoulder, the left shoulder armor can only be changed to a different piece of armor. However, on the right shoulder the player can either add an armor piece or choose "None" for no armor. The "None" option should be available to allow the left shoulder armor to be removed so there is no armor. Please consider looking at this apparent bug. Thanks.

45 minutes ago, TheLostBeast said:

Fix to Nyx's Assimilate, "friendly fire draining energy in 3 secs"

Warframe Sponsors on Youtube made videos showcasing the "Nyx’s Assimilate Augment not allowing teammates to charge you up by fire absorption" bug days after the mod's release. This is clearly a nerf, and is not a bug fix. If it really was a bug, it would have been fixed 6 months ago along with the other Assimilate bug fixes

Spoiler

August 2016 - Nyx: Absorb: Assimilate released:

• Within days of release, Warframe Sponsors on Youtube shared Assimilate builds centered around the fact that allies CANNOT drain Nyx's energy during Absorb. 

September 2016 - Assimilate bugs fixed:

• Fixed being able to roll with Nyx’s Assimilate Augment active by binding a dedicated roll key (not sprint/roll).
  • Fixed getting stuck in Nyx’s Absorb bubble while the ability is deactivated.

March 2017 - Assimilate nerf:

• Fixed Nyx’s Assimilate Augment not allowing teammates to charge you up by fire absorption.

I hope you understand.

Edited by XIceBladeX

1 hour ago, XIceBladeX said:

Warframe Sponsors on Youtube made videos showcasing the "Nyx’s Assimilate Augment not allowing teammates to charge you up by fire absorption" bug days after the mod's release. This is clearly a nerf, and is not a bug fix. If it really was a bug, it would have been fixed 6 months ago along with the other Assimilate bug fixes

Reveal hidden contents

August 2016 - Nyx: Absorb: Assimilate released:

• Within days of release, Warframe Sponsors on Youtube shared Assimilate builds centered around the fact that allies CANNOT drain Nyx's energy during Absorb. 

September 2016 - Assimilate bugs fixed:

• Fixed being able to roll with Nyx’s Assimilate Augment active by binding a dedicated roll key (not sprint/roll).
  • Fixed getting stuck in Nyx’s Absorb bubble while the ability is deactivated.

March 2017 - Assimilate nerf:

• Fixed Nyx’s Assimilate Augment not allowing teammates to charge you up by fire absorption.

I hope you understand.

Nerf=balance. The friendly fire change offers 0 balance 

22 hours ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

Bug#1 : Friendly fire should be removed entirely from Nyx absorb and assimilate. Friendly fire is not needed and can intentionally or untentionally results in griefing or trolling. Thank you

The "friendly fire charging fix" only allows griefing when assimilate/absorb  is used. Griefing = Bug and serves no logical purpose in game. And should be fixed by removing friendly fire altogether. 

14 hours ago, Mattoropael said:

• Radiation proc cannot be self-inflicted even with a self-damage weapon (unique among all procs AFAIK), because it allows friendly fire and thus has grieving potential
  • Nyx Absorb/Assimilate take friendly fire, draining its entire energy reserve in seconds and rendering Nyx utterly vulnerable

If this isn't a bug, I don't know what is.

I hope you understand. Thank you

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74

Regardless if Nyx´s fix is a bug or not. It renders the augment pretty much useless on high levels. Since it is that bad it shouldn´t really be that way. An augment is meant to improve/ change the ability. However, it reduces the bubble range and only allows meele attacks but since it lasts only 5 seconds in high levels you won´t be able to even complete 3 full combos with it before being fully drained. 

It is still useful in solo but the performance is so vastly different that the grade goes from 10 to 0 in multiplayer. It is worse than Valkyr´s nerf because you can´t control the "drain ammount". In fact, as people say in the forum you might take a look at your map and realize you´re out of energy before having the time to even turn off the skill.

But I guess it was a bit overpowered. Maybe they should change it to be be like Valkyr´s hysteria but like this:

There´s still an increase of energy drain but not as time goes on but with damage with max energy drain of 5 per second. Sounds reasonable, right?

Edited by HolySeraphin
Forgot to add something