Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe not using system resources

Era_

My System

Intel i7 6700k 4.6 ghz

Nvidia GTX 1080 FE at ~ 2Ghz

32 gb Ram

Its all watercooled

Whenever i  play warframe, i get tons of fps (200-300) in the ship, but if i get into hectic missions it will drop really low into the  20s and 30s

This would all seem normal for low end hardware, but on these missions my CPU is only at ~ 20% and my GPU at ~ 15%

So my PC is just not using what it has if it was a cpu bottleneck the cpu would be pinned at 100%

I dont know what to do

Warframe is pretty well optimized (Also not in some aspect) and as you got decent hardware did you optimize the game?

Also do you have your PC running in Performance mode? Like the windows power setting and nvidia setting.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

• 2 weeks later...

With how CPUs are so multi-threaded, you can't just look at total CPU usage any more. Even the best games will only be able to make use of so many cores. Most monitors let you see each core's usage. If you are having some of your cores maxed at 100%, you can check what's running on that core and manually assign either WF or the other background stuff to run on a core that's more open.

If you're watching some third party resource monitor while playing and everything looks all green, there's not much we have to go on to be able to help.

The last time I had a mystery frame rate issue was on my laptop. Any time the CPU/GPU would reach a rather low temperature, it would throttle the crap out of WF and I'd get 10-20fps on the lowest settings. The problem was that the throttle temp was the same point at which the fans would actually get going, so even with my heatsink stand I have, the temp inside was still too high. I ended up having to install something to let me overwrite the fan temp settings and make them kick in way earlier. Noisy as hell, but it's not like there was much choice. 

That thermal trigger was the only time I've ever seen such a sharp and dramatic fps drop like that, totally fine 60 for a few minutes until quick and immediate drop that would never recover.

Note that because the throttling was actually capping the hardware usage, when I'd check the monitors it'd look like the game wasn't even using all available resources. I only thought to look outside of the game when I watched the monitor before the throttling kicked in, as while the fps was still high the hardware usage was near max while still heating up.

Edited by Hydal
clarity / sp