Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Performance and the Future of PhysX Effects

Jengerer

I remember how awesome the PhysX effects were in 2013, I really wish you guy could Redo some of that with FleX in the future. Also a Particle option should exist, such as Borderlands PhysX where you can lower the amount of particles or increase them, the current implementation is TBH an On or OFF and I'm being serious.  

2 hours ago, Mukade said:

Well, now we're even, Nvidia and AMD. The recent TAA method made some physx particles look freaky, for example the infested blood that usually looks like orange goop now looked like glitter. Performance and stability are important, alright.

Remember how stupid and over-the-top and intrusive the original physx was?

Be still your heathen tongue! Those were the good ol' days.

Speaking of effects, do you think we could get them toned down a little the more allies we have?  On their own, ability effects are striking and visually attractive (for the most part), but when you have multiple Warframes all putting out their abilities at once it becomes harder and harder to see anything.

As an example, just today I was playing Mesa and using her 4 while a Limbo, Octavia and Nova all had out their abilities about as often as they possibly could, and I couldn't even see my own reticle, let alone any of the enemies outside of the Molecular Cataclysm Metronome-Amp I was surrounded by.

If something could be done to make our own effects more striking (and enemies more visible) while toning down allies' abilities a bit to better be able to see, that'd be great.

Hello

Im not happy with your decision to disable it completely.Some people hadnt that big problems with that and they are losing this visual feature now.

People who had the problem could easily disable it by entering the option and do it.So why are all people are affected by this now?

I think Physx is important for alot of people who use it since years and without it we miss alot of nice effects...

So why the decision to disable it for everybody and dont leave it as an option?

3 hours ago, Mcl_BlueMadness said:

Eh, it's not like PhysX was doing anything anyway. I miss the old PhysX effects, those were awesome. What we have now is embarrassing compared to that.

I'm honestly happy to see it go, because the sooner it does, the sooner we'll get its replacement.

Don't mind that provided it's equal or even better than what we have now.

In agreement though, the old effects were definitely much better. Current ones often seem so opaque.

@[DE]Jengerer

That is quite interested to read for me. I'm haven't worked with PhysX so far, but done some program on the CUDA.
That being said it's also the first time I'm hearing of an inherent bug in the engine that is likely to not be fixed (but I'm also not keeping up to date on these things). I also don't seem to notice similar problems in other games.

If you find the time, keep us updated which way the team decides to go and what changes it will involve. It's always interesting to follow how such problems are getting tackled.

To me it seems there aren't that many options around anyway, with the most notable option to Physx being Havok or in-house solutions like Valves Rubikon (if that's still a thing).

2 minutes ago, Omegaboot said:

I'm just wondering how NVidia dropping PhysX will affect older games that don't have dev teams still working on them. Single-player games especially.

PhysX is always a non-dependent feature in game, so those games will still be playable without it. It's very likely however that NVidia is looking into a solution that provides backwards compatibility (which might mean just including an old PhysX version into newer drivers for some time).

Sadly I wasn't able to find news/dev talk about these specific problems with PhysX, with the Warframe forum being on top of every google search regarding it.

8 hours ago, [DE]Jengerer said:

Unfortunately, Flex is more of a spiritual successor than a direct replacement, so we can't just plug our existing effects into it and have it work auto-magically (or even recreate all of the effects the same way they are now). We've considered it as a possibility for the future, but it's not an immediate solution for these issues we're currently facing.

Yeah that's a real shame man. I really wish we could get some open standards for this stuff and let the hardware prove itself. I really liked that with like TressFX, the AMD hair tech, it CAN work on Nvidia because they let it, but Nvidia's always gotta be so closed up about everything :\

4 hours ago, Mukade said:

Well, now we're even, Nvidia and AMD. The recent TAA method made some physx particles look freaky, for example the infested blood that usually looks like orange goop now looked like glitter. Performance and stability are important, alright.

lol ,that was my perfect time .. This was the perfect PhysX for me. And i am not the only one who thinks that

3 hours ago, Alex9-3-9 said:

I remember how awesome the PhysX effects were in 2013, I really wish you guy could Redo some of that with FleX in the future. Also a Particle option should exist, such as Borderlands PhysX where you can lower the amount of particles or increase them, the current implementation is TBH an On or OFF and I'm being serious.  

^ This!

finally got an Nvidia gtx 1080 not too long ago and was finally able to use phsX in warframe, loved it, game doesn't seem the same with it off, guess ill try rolling back the drivers i need my sparkles!

7 hours ago, Mukade said:

Christ, that looks freaking gorgeous.

What's the difference between off and on, now? I've only just recently gotten an Nvidia graphics card.

As an AMD user, I gotta say I'm not really all that upset over this... Maybe a little excited at the prospect of getting my card supported by the game in the future, though.

I'd like to second that request for DE to keep us posted on what they do with this, it's certainly an interesting topic (to me at least) outside of the direct in-game impact it has on players. Some of us tech-heads are quite happy to soak up these things!

25 minutes ago, WingedCrusade said:

Christ, that looks freaking gorgeous.

What's the difference between off and on, now? I've only just recently gotten an Nvidia graphics card.

Those effect from PhysX demo video are now non-existant, replaced by engines particles

15 hours ago, [DE]Jengerer said:

As an immediate remedy for the sake of performance and stability, an upcoming hotfix will be disabling PhysX Effects on drivers newer than 373.06 until the issue is resolved. We remain hopeful that NVIDIA will continue to support PhysX Effects and are eager to work with them to find a way to work around the problems we're having.

Any chance an additional check can be implemented that bypasses the disabling of PhysX (on newer drivers) if it detects a dedicated PhysX card?

I posted my runs in Glen's thread with, and without, a dedicated card and on the latest drivers. There was no memory leaks with a dedicated card (or at least nothing perceptible with the tools available), but when run on the main card there were issues straight away - Granted, im fully aware im asking as a far outlier as hardware composition goes, but it don't hurt to ask either way :)

Archived