Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DISABLE/REMOVE limbo rift plane in cc

--ULTRON--

ever since limbo got reworked he has ability to cast rift plane and rift portal whenever he rolls which makes himself invulnerable to people outside of the rift unless he banished you or you used  warframe skills , even worse he can spam rolls to create multiple rift portals without any energy cost and cool down, he can still replenish his shield while in the rift plane. 

If a Limbo has had time to hide his portal effectively, he's not engaged in an active fire-fight and there's no reason not to just ignore him and go after other players, unless you particularly feel like using a warframe power to wipe the smug grin off his face. This only becomes a problem in 1v1s.

More often, a Limbo will pop out of the rift, engage, and then enter the rift again while escaping if he finds himself on the back-foot. At that point, when you have him in your sights, there's no way for him to enter the rift without you knowing where he left his portal, making it relatively easy to pursue him into the rift.

Since Limbo was reworked I've played as Limbo and/or against Limbo at various times, and whilst I can see how it could be rather bewildering to newer players – there's already a lot to keep track of, after all – I personally find it adds an interesting extra layer to cat-and-mouse encounters.

1 hour ago, TheJadrimian said:

If a Limbo has had time to hide his portal effectively, he's not engaged in an active fire-fight and there's no reason not to just ignore him and go after other players, unless you particularly feel like using a warframe power to wipe the smug grin off his face. This only becomes a problem in 1v1s.

More often, a Limbo will pop out of the rift, engage, and then enter the rift again while escaping if he finds himself on the back-foot. At that point, when you have him in your sights, there's no way for him to enter the rift without you knowing where he left his portal, making it relatively easy to pursue him into the rift.

Since Limbo was reworked I've played as Limbo and/or against Limbo at various times, and whilst I can see how it could be rather bewildering to newer players – there's already a lot to keep track of, after all – I personally find it adds an interesting extra layer to cat-and-mouse encounters.

I have seen quite some Limbos that stay in Rift 95% of the time, only popping out to pick on the weakest or most unaware/busy player - this becomes extremely frustrating especially in TDM games.

A lot of Limbos enter Rift in a way so that the chaser has extra steps to enter the portal, at this time the Limbo could already be around a corner or have exited the Rift, while the chaser has to first intentionally roll to get out again.

Cat&mouse fun only goes so long, after a certain time it just becomes tedious, boring and frustrating.

Also, Energy free "invincibility" is imbalanced in Conclave.

Edited by Sneazle

OH, you want some CONCLAVE BALANCE?

Right, I see, how about this, BASKETBALL! 

Limbo is kicked back into the fight after staying in the rift for 3 second.

Or just ban Limbo form Conclave because you can't headshot no scope like a boss.

2 hours ago, TheJadrimian said:

ignore him?
he can still use his skills to banish you in the least expected situation, collecting energies like a boss and then booom casting catacalysm to the crowds while in the rift. i wouldn't ignore that

4 minutes ago, DesFrSpace said:

OH, you want some CONCLAVE BALANCE?

Right, I see, how about this, BASKETBALL! 

Limbo is kicked back into the fight after staying in the rift for 3 second.

Or just ban Limbo form Conclave because you can't headshot no scope like a boss.

lol idk what do u mean by ''BASKETBALL!'' using rift is is very easy af just double tapping shift ,while in the other hand you need to 1 shoot kill him(only a few weapons are capable of doing that) otherwise he will re enter his rift and spam that over and over again whenever his health is low

3 hours ago, --ULTRON-- said:

lol idk what do u mean by ''BASKETBALL!'' using rift is is very easy af just double tapping shift ,while in the other hand you need to 1 shoot kill him(only a few weapons are capable of doing that) otherwise he will re enter his rift and spam that over and over again whenever his health is low

Was thinking of the rule in Basketball of no carrying the ball without dribbling.

So Yeah, even if Limbo is rifted, you can shoot when popped in 3 second. And you can shoot again when Limbo is exposed.

1 hour ago, Sneazle said:

I have seen quite some Limbos that stay in Rift 95% of the time, only popping out to pick on the weakest or most unaware/busy player - this becomes extremely frustrating especially in TDM games.

A lot of Limbos enter Rift in a way so that the chaser has extra steps to enter the portal, at this time the Limbo could already be around a corner or have exited the Rift, while the chaser has to first intentionally roll to get out again.

Cat&mouse fun only goes so long, after a certain time it just becomes tedious, boring and frustrating.

Also, Energy free "invincibility" is imbalanced in Conclave.

Interesting; I can't say I've ever noticed anyone cherry-picking targets in the manner you describe, and whilst it does sound somewhat irritating it doesn't sound like it'd net more kills than an equally skilled player spending 95% more time dealing damage. If someone manages to win a match whilst engaging for only 5% of it, more power to them.

If he's being used as a harasser or mopper in TDM, that actually sounds like a pretty valid team synergy. Since it's so rare for players to actually take on distinct roles and complement each-others' playstyles, I can see why it might be frustrating to come up against, but I would rather see more synergy than less.

Limbo also has to intentionally roll to get out of the rift, having to do the same to follow him hardly strikes me as an onerous task – on the contrary, I more often have to stop myself rolling where I usually would. Before the rework, Limbo had a timer on Rift Walk, now instead he leaves rift portals that allow you to follow him – he's always been a good frame for escaping sticky situations, and imo the rework hasn't really made him that much better at it, just different.

32 minutes ago, --ULTRON-- said:

ignore him?
he can still use his skills to banish you in the least expected situation, collecting energies like a boss and then booom casting catacalysm to the crowds while in the rift. i wouldn't ignore that

Limbo can't banish you from within the rift – and even if he could it'd hardly be a big deal; given what any other frame can accomplish with 25 energy, stopping you from attacking anyone outside the rift for 8 seconds is hardly OP.

People running around the map collecting energy and only engaging to use their ults is always irritating, regardless of the frame in question, but in the long run it's a rather poor strategy. Cataclysm is good for a cheap kill or two each time, three if you're especially lucky, but even if you always score a hit, you're only going to be able to use the ability a few times within the space of a match, which sharply limits how many kills you can get. Being able to cast it from within the rift, I'll concede, is a bit silly – making it only castable from outside the rift would be a valid change.

34 minutes ago, TheJadrimian said:

Interesting; I can't say I've ever noticed anyone cherry-picking targets in the manner you describe, and whilst it does sound somewhat irritating it doesn't sound like it'd net more kills than an equally skilled player spending 95% more time dealing damage. If someone manages to win a match whilst engaging for only 5% of it, more power to them.

If he's being used as a harasser or mopper in TDM, that actually sounds like a pretty valid team synergy. Since it's so rare for players to actually take on distinct roles and complement each-others' playstyles, I can see why it might be frustrating to come up against, but I would rather see more synergy than less.

Limbo also has to intentionally roll to get out of the rift, having to do the same to follow him hardly strikes me as an onerous task – on the contrary, I more often have to stop myself rolling where I usually would. Before the rework, Limbo had a timer on Rift Walk, now instead he leaves rift portals that allow you to follow him – he's always been a good frame for escaping sticky situations, and imo the rework hasn't really made him that much better at it, just different.

Limbo can't banish you from within the rift – and even if he could it'd hardly be a big deal; given what any other frame can accomplish with 25 energy, stopping you from attacking anyone outside the rift for 8 seconds is hardly OP.

People running around the map collecting energy and only engaging to use their ults is always irritating, regardless of the frame in question, but in the long run it's a rather poor strategy. Cataclysm is good for a cheap kill or two each time, three if you're especially lucky, but even if you always score a hit, you're only going to be able to use the ability a few times within the space of a match, which sharply limits how many kills you can get. Being able to cast it from within the rift, I'll concede, is a bit silly – making it only castable from outside the rift would be a valid change.

i didnt mean he can cast banish while in the rift but catacalysm and yes he is able to cast it while in the rift, catacalysm is not the main problem, it is rift plane whenever he rolls with infinity duration, no cooldown, or energy cost 

8 minutes ago, --ULTRON-- said:

i didnt mean he can cast banish while in the rift but catacalysm and yes he is able to cast it while in the rift, catacalysm is not the main problem, it is rift plane whenever he rolls with infinity duration, no cooldown, or energy cost 

Down at the bottom of my last post I addressed Cataclysm being castable from the rift:

53 minutes ago, TheJadrimian said:

Being able to cast it from within the rift, I'll concede, is a bit silly – making it only castable from outside the rift would be a valid change.

10 hours ago, -Mandachordian-Tenno- said:

isnt it so that warframe abilities can get through the rift?

Only a select few ultimate abilities can bring an enemy from 100% health to 0% in Conclave, which means that for a majority of the time, a Limbo in the rift is unkillable.

1 hour ago, Heckzu said:

Only a select few ultimate abilities can bring an enemy from 100% health to 0% in Conclave, which means that for a majority of the time, a Limbo in the rift is unkillable.

An ult or the repeated application of a less damaging power, perhaps. :P Still, rifted Limbos are certainly difficult to kill, at full health. However, unless you're in a 1v1 there's very little reason not to simply ignore a rifted Limbo at full health, because the likelihood is they're not engaged in combat. Most often you'll be after a rifted Limbo when they're retreating after taking damage – which is where all those non-1HKO damage-dealing abilities become viable finishers (and also, generally, when it'll be that much easier to follow him into the rift, as an alternative).

18 hours ago, Heckzu said:

Though even then the one wasting 100 energy to kill a rift walking Limbo are putting themselves at risk of getting killed by someone else. Not to mention the fact that even if a lesser ability/melee weapon can keep a Limbo grounded with 'impaired' all the Limbo has to do is roll, roll, roll to keep away from their opponent. God I'm dreading seeing Limbo spam when console gets this update...

Edited by (PS4)Benjamin_Draco

On 4/9/2017 at 4:11 PM, TheJadrimian said:

One one hand, there is winning. But on the other hand there is also "joy from playing". Limbo is anti-fun for me, I don't want to be forced by the Limbo player to play their cat&mouse, simply because there is no other way to fight him. I don't want to hoard Energy either, just to have an ult ready to drop onto him every now and then.

I also would love to see more team synergies in Conclave - Limbo is not one of them, not in his current state.

Just today I had one Limbo, in Rift, standing in the middle of the map and doing nothing (after nobody wanted to play their cat&mouse anymore). I mean, what is this? This is not arena shooter gameplay, this is a bad joke. And no, just because i could ignore him, doesn't make him any more bearable.

Sorry if this sounds "salty", probably I'm getting old. :P

Edited by Sneazle

This does become excessively annoying to play against, especially when Limbo users are constantly phasing in and out of the rift rather than just sitting in it where you can kill them after stepping into the portal. Limbo's dodge rift mechanic would be neat in hardcore 1v1 matches, but for public play it becomes unfun and horrendously unfair. Someone using Limbo can literally be invincible to all non-ability damage for an entire match. While they may not win, they become and nuisance and it allows unhealthy gameplay playstyles to go unpunished (Never engaging/only popping in to use an ult).

Chasing a decent Limbo is far harder than chasing any other decent player. Instead of being limited by your entire line of sight and your weapons range, you now have to pop through a small portal without rolling, thereby limiting your mobility options, and decipher between rifted and non-rifted opponents. The Limbo user also has complete control over the situation due to being the only one to enter and exist the rift at will. Any player that wants to chase a Limbo will be at the mercy of his portals, and his rift status. If he rifts out, then the non limbo has to roll after the Limbo has already exited the rift, giving the Limbo user first shot advantage. Since Limbo also controls where the portals go, he can reasonably expect where all damage will come from, save for abilities (which by themselves don't do that much damage), or another Limbo. The portals either disappear too early to chase a low health Limbo, or too late to avoid getting rifted and forcing a roll.  

Whether or not I should be chasing Limbos is not the problem. The rift mechanic, being locked to Limbo, is problematic. While a Limbo player who never engages the enemy may not win, he certainly makes the game significantly more aggravating to all other players in the match. 

If the rift mechanics cannot be reasonably changed, Limbo should at least have an insanely low health pool to compensate for having so much control over where damage can be received. Perhaps just remove his shields entirely.

On 4/9/2017 at 2:43 PM, --ULTRON-- said:

you cannot banish or collect energy while in rift

18 hours ago, Witchydragon said:

This does become excessively annoying to play against, especially when Limbo users are constantly phasing in and out of the rift rather than just sitting in it where you can kill them after stepping into the portal. Limbo's dodge rift mechanic would be neat in hardcore 1v1 matches, but for public play it becomes unfun and horrendously unfair. Someone using Limbo can literally be invincible to all non-ability damage for an entire match. While they may not win, they become and nuisance and it allows unhealthy gameplay playstyles to go unpunished (Never engaging/only popping in to use an ult).

Chasing a decent Limbo is far harder than chasing any other decent player. Instead of being limited by your entire line of sight and your weapons range, you now have to pop through a small portal without rolling, thereby limiting your mobility options, and decipher between rifted and non-rifted opponents. The Limbo user also has complete control over the situation due to being the only one to enter and exist the rift at will. Any player that wants to chase a Limbo will be at the mercy of his portals, and his rift status. If he rifts out, then the non limbo has to roll after the Limbo has already exited the rift, giving the Limbo user first shot advantage. Since Limbo also controls where the portals go, he can reasonably expect where all damage will come from, save for abilities (which by themselves don't do that much damage), or another Limbo. The portals either disappear too early to chase a low health Limbo, or too late to avoid getting rifted and forcing a roll.  

Whether or not I should be chasing Limbos is not the problem. The rift mechanic, being locked to Limbo, is problematic. While a Limbo player who never engages the enemy may not win, he certainly makes the game significantly more aggravating to all other players in the match. 

If the rift mechanics cannot be reasonably changed, Limbo should at least have an insanely low health pool to compensate for having so much control over where damage can be received. Perhaps just remove his shields entirely.

Finally someone comes up with a good idea. that's agreeable to make limbo more squishy

• 2 weeks later...