The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So about Steve's multicrew cruiseships

arch111

4 hours ago, Unus said:

It just hit me like a ton of bricks. You don't think that the one ship prototype that they showed in the art demo will be the ONLY breed of Tennoship, do you? Because, theoretically speaking, It wouldn't be to far-fetched to have different kinds of vessel for varying crew allotments. I'd imagine we have the big 6 manners (a driver, four turreteers, and one border-repelled that can all rotate), scaleing alllllll the way down to single-man fighters that could be hired-on by crews as point-defense craft that occasionally dock with the "mothership" to resupply every so often. 

A tiny bit of a bone for us lone-wolves to have while everyone else jumps on the party-bomber and fills the sky with beams.

What if they handle it like Dark Sectors.  The clans build the ships but others can use them for a price.

14 minutes ago, Unus said:

It just hit me like a ton of bricks. You don't think that the one ship prototype that they showed in the art demo will be the ONLY breed of Tennoship, do you? Because, theoretically speaking, It wouldn't be to far-fetched to have different kinds of vessel for varying crew allotments. I'd imagine we have the big 6 manners (a driver, four turreteers, and one border-repelled that can all rotate), scaleing alllllll the way down to single-man fighters that could be hired-on by crews as point-defense craft that occasionally dock with the "mothership" to resupply every so often. 

A tiny bit of a bone for us lone-wolves to have while everyone else jumps on the party-bomber and fills the sky with beams.

Imagine an Archwing Space-scape. Where you FLY outside an enemy ship, then board it and enter the tileset. 

This looks utterly amazing and is something I always hoped Warframe would get, however...

FINISH ARCHWING FIRST, then add new space stuff.

I get that fixing Archwing isn't really Steve's job, but I wasn't talking to him specifically with that statement. I'm saying that DE needs to finish Archwing before they throw more space stuff at us. Archwing is barely in it's Beta stage, and any new space combat-like stuff should be put on the back burner until that changes. So good job Steve, now tell your co-workers to step it up so we can see your concept become a reality some time in the next 5 years.

Edited by Silvus-Sol

5 hours ago, arch111 said:

What if they handle it like Dark Sectors.  The clans build the ships but others can use them for a price.

Hmmmm. . . I'm kinda torn on that piece. On the one hand, a ship isn't nearly as finicky about design as a rail. On the other hand, given how a significant portion of the vessel is taken up by a rail-punch drive that most small vessels lack, I could be grievously wrong.

4 hours ago, BetaNoire said:

Imagine an Archwing Space-scape. Where you FLY outside an enemy ship, then board it and enter the tileset. 

I think that would be the goal of the "boarding defender" as it were, or if a crew volunteers to sacrifice a few turret-men to engage a ship in parallel with an outside gunner circling. Pre-prep upcoming areas by ravaging them accordingly with gunfire, but risk blowing your fellow Tenno into a million bits by having a stray shot strike an important power unit of some kind or fully space a deck when they lack clearance for Arch.

With enough guile and steel nerves though, the prize might be disassembling the ship Old-X-Com style into tasty spread-out resource chunk allotments.

30 minutes ago, Shoelip said:

It'd be nice if alignment served any purpose whatsoever first.

BUT THEN -people will make choices not based on what their characters would "do" -but based on what they can get.

It's an RP thing. 

I just want more characters/NPCs to remark on it or react differently.

34 minutes ago, BetaNoire said:

BUT THEN -people will make choices not based on what their characters would "do" -but based on what they can get.

It's an RP thing. 

I just want more characters/NPCs to remark on it or react differently.

It's not an RP thing.  It's a linear sliding scale based on five choices in two quests, and they haven't even had any more since Nidus.  The RP was the choices, but it doesn't keep track of the choices, just an abstract number determined by summing up the point values assigned to those choices.  I know what choices I made, and if I forget this won't tell me...  All it does is boil down complex choices into a simple number, and the only use for that is a gameplay mechanic.  If they want players to make choices based on what they'd actually do then there shouldn't be a linear alignment system at all.

Edited by Shoelip

Let's think practical.

We know that Archwing and boarding a ship have been looked at, has it been implemented yet?

At any rate the code and systems seem to be in place.

So as an introduction, they give us reversed chase-mode where we have to defend our ship against attackers.

This would combine a pilot Gunners and/or archwings. The only difference here is that the "tile" we are on can be steered around.

Expand on that and you get a space assault mode that is ship to ship battle. The objective then becomes capture the ship with sabotage/exterminate inside the ship and ship-guns to potentially destroy the hull.

Combine archwing, persuit, defence, sabotage, submersible, manned turrets and you get the new mode.

7 minutes ago, arch111 said:

Let's think practical.

We know that Archwing and boarding a ship have been looked at, has it been implemented yet?

At any rate the code and systems seem to be in place.

So as an introduction, they give us reversed chase-mode where we have to defend our ship against attackers.

This would combine a pilot Gunners and/or archwings. The only difference here is that the "tile" we are on can be steered around.

Expand on that and you get a space assault mode that is ship to ship battle. The objective then becomes capture the ship with sabotage/exterminate inside the ship and ship-guns to potentially destroy the hull.

Combine archwing, persuit, defence, sabotage, submersible, manned turrets and you get the new mode.

The only fault I see in this reasoning is that lone operatives and low active clan pops will be forced out of the entire game mechanics since the ship can't be manned alone. Or they need to create a specific position that opens the system to solo fighters. 

My clan for example is relatively small, 7 members with 3 actives most of the time and the 4 others playing in and out depending on times. I don't see those ships being manned by so few people... Which would honestly kill me as I WANT to pilot my ship. 

2 minutes ago, Cyriann said:

The only fault I see in this reasoning is that lone operatives and low active clan pops will be forced out of the entire game mechanics since the ship can't be manned alone. Or they need to create a specific position that opens the system to solo fighters. 

My clan for example is relatively small, 7 members with 3 actives most of the time and the 4 others playing in and out depending on times. I don't see those ships being manned by so few people... Which would honestly kill me as I WANT to pilot my ship. 

You could always just invite others... DE is trying their best to get people to work together, not play lone wolf.

53 minutes ago, Cyriann said:

49 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

You could always just invite others... DE is trying their best to get people to work together, not play lone wolf.

I think lone missions would just defeat the purpose of the concept of Crew-ships.

invite would work.

5 hours ago, Shoelip said:

Exactly.  They just keep adding new features without finishing old ones.  This is the main thing I worry about with PoE.

I see often that DE should finish things, but not often enough how - in a realistic way - how they should do it.

I think Warframe does its job well, but it has areas that needs more development.

In fairness, I think that DE ARE working to make things right. I just think we don't see that because it takes time and they work on so many things. 

Edited by arch111

52 minutes ago, arch111 said:

I see often that DE should finish things, but not often enough how - in a realistic way - how they should do it.

I think Warframe does its job well, but it has areas that needs more development.

In fairness, I think that DE ARE working to make things right. I just think we don't see that because it takes time and they work on so many things. 

Well, it's not really our job to tell DE how to do their job, but "Finish" probably isn't the right word because it implies a kind of finality.  What I mean is that there are many features that have been added that are glaringly incomplete, lacking, or just gimmicky.  Archwing is a big one everyone talks about, but that's actually a fairly mild example imo.  It's fully functional, it's just people hate Archwing because it's different and therefore confusing.  It is lacking in content though.  But their willingness to include it in future content mends that to an extent.  In other words, Archwing needs more content to "finish" it.  That trailer where Excal landed on a Balor Fomorian?  That was awesome.  Why can't we do that kind of thing in normal missions?  We can land in War Within.  We can transfer between on foot and submersible in normal Grineer sealab missions.  There are tons of things features that are sorely lacking in content that they planned to add on to but have yet to do so.  The Alignment system is supposed to get a new mechanic involving protecting or assassinating syndicate targets, which would also expand the syndicates.  The orbiters have been barely developed since their introduction.  War Within added the transference room and two other doors, that didn't open for a year, and when one finally did it turned out to be just a tiny room full of more new unanswered story questions, and a new Kubrow breed with a really annoying way of acquiring it.  Dark Sectors... well... I mean...  You've got over 10k posts so I imagine you've been around long enough to know about what happened with Dark Sectors.

Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not by any stretch suggesting that they haven't improved anything.  There have been several small improvements at a constant pace.  The change to revives alone made the game just so so so much more user friendly.  Starmap 3.0 is a great improvement, even if it was mostly just fixing the problems created by Starmap 2.0 The updates to bosses and warframe reworks are all great, except for how Ambulas is now a giant grind against an RNG nested inside another giant grind against an RNG just to get to it.  The introduction of the relays and the Balor Fomorian event were really cool, and then the relays have basically stayed exactly the same ever since despite several announced plans to change them. The few improvements and additions to Archwing have been enjoyable, and well, I mean there are tons of little things one could go on about.  It's just, DE seems to always be pushing towards "The Next Big Thing" while all sorts of previous big things are left relatively unloved.

6 hours ago, Shoelip said:

Well, it's not really our job to tell DE how to do their job, but "Finish" probably isn't the right word because it implies a kind of finality.  What I mean is that there are many features that have been added that are glaringly incomplete, lacking, or just gimmicky.  Archwing is a big one everyone talks about, but that's actually a fairly mild example imo.  It's fully functional, it's just people hate Archwing because it's different and therefore confusing.  It is lacking in content though.  But their willingness to include it in future content mends that to an extent.  In other words, Archwing needs more content to "finish" it.  That trailer where Excal landed on a Balor Fomorian?  That was awesome.  Why can't we do that kind of thing in normal missions?  We can land in War Within.  We can transfer between on foot and submersible in normal Grineer sealab missions.  There are tons of things features that are sorely lacking in content that they planned to add on to but have yet to do so.  The Alignment system is supposed to get a new mechanic involving protecting or assassinating syndicate targets, which would also expand the syndicates.  The orbiters have been barely developed since their introduction.  War Within added the transference room and two other doors, that didn't open for a year, and when one finally did it turned out to be just a tiny room full of more new unanswered story questions, and a new Kubrow breed with a really annoying way of acquiring it.  Dark Sectors... well... I mean...  You've got over 10k posts so I imagine you've been around long enough to know about what happened with Dark Sectors.

Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not by any stretch suggesting that they haven't improved anything.  There have been several small improvements at a constant pace.  The change to revives alone made the game just so so so much more user friendly.  Starmap 3.0 is a great improvement, even if it was mostly just fixing the problems created by Starmap 2.0 The updates to bosses and warframe reworks are all great, except for how Ambulas is now a giant grind against an RNG nested inside another giant grind against an RNG just to get to it.  The introduction of the relays and the Balor Fomorian event were really cool, and then the relays have basically stayed exactly the same ever since despite several announced plans to change them. The few improvements and additions to Archwing have been enjoyable, and well, I mean there are tons of little things one could go on about.  It's just, DE seems to always be pushing towards "The Next Big Thing" while all sorts of previous big things are left relatively unloved.

I mean plans for RELAYS are even in the code. Many have made videos of glitching through Relay walls to FALL through the FLOOR to reveal....................about 12 or so more floors along with an elevator shaft. It's all there, it's just not opened, and it's been speculated what it's for.

2 minutes ago, BetaNoire said:

I mean plans for RELAYS are even in the code. Many have made videos of glitching through Relay walls to FALL through the FLOOR to reveal....................about 12 or so more floors along with an elevator shaft. It's all there, it's just not opened, and it's been speculated what it's for.

I mean, that's basically my point.  There's all this stuff that they start on and then don't really do much with.

Edited by Shoelip

25 minutes ago, Shoelip said:

I don't remember that, though it's kinda confusing if true.  We've had dojos since long before the relays.

No, the point is to "rent" the space to alliances. 

At least thats what some have said.

Edited by BetaNoire