Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

UI: Fading Items [DE Reply]

Monolake

Must only affect people who own toasters.

Unnecessary UI animations are a pet hate of mine.  It's bad enough when you accidentally hit Navigation instead of Equipment, and have to wait out that zoom-in onto a planet and back out, because you can't cancel it by spamming escape.

Edited by polarity

Im on a brand new SSD and this crap is annoying AF. not just all the item images fading in in the foundry, each stupid time one goes in, but also once you scroll bast over an item it then reloads it again. super annoying for finding stuff in the arsenal swell sine one have to always wait the half or full sec for it to load the damn image of the wewapon/frame

i think it actually looks good, a nice effect for a User Interface to look simulated.
i don't find it impacts my navigation of the Arsenal/Foundry and Et Cetera, i'm probably reading the text rather than using relying on the pictures.

but, more importantly, the 'fading' seems to have made a huge impact on Spot Load Hitches, that have been around for a bit, affecting lots of systems that shouldn't be having these issues in the first place (and for years, weren't).

are those being significantly affected according to their descriptions, have Warframe on very slow local storage (or something else that could make loading of data be very slow)?
because i recorded a couple clips and Frame Stepped them, and the time from the initial fade to solid isn't particularly long, in many situations it takes atleast this long for that UI item to come fully into view anyways, before this was even a thing.
case studies:
XNp16tk.png
7U6tW71.png

Edit:

one more extreme one - going to All in Foundry, scrolling extremely fast, then seeing how long a picture takes to load then.
ArAVi4O.png

Edited by taiiat

22 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i think it actually looks good, a nice effect for a User Interface to look simulated.
i don't find it impacts my navigation of the Arsenal/Foundry and Et Cetera, i'm probably reading the text rather than using the pictures.

but, more importantly, the 'fading' seems to have made a huge impact on Spot Load Hitches, that have been around for a bit, affecting lots of systems that shouldn't be having these issues in the first place (and for years, weren't).

are those being significantly affected according to their descriptions, have Warframe on very slow local storage (or something else that could make loading of data be very slow)?
because i recorded a couple clips and Frame Stepped them, and the time from the initial fade to solid isn't particularly long, in many situations it takes atleast this long for that UI item to come fully into view anyways, before this was even a thing.
case studies:
XNp16tk.png
7U6tW71.png

it is horrible. if you just scroll down you dont see anything but a blank space all the time. feels CHEAP.

Hey Tenno!

Item list fading was added in Update 20.2.0 as a means of improving performance for older or less powerful machines. This was not a UI design decision, but rather a necessary change to help prevent fellow Tenno from experiencing crashes caused by texture overloading. We understand visual changes may be a bit jarring at first, so we thank you for your understanding in light of performance improvements for others. 

can some one please post a video of this? i trully dont see the problem. plz, post a video. perhaps there is some driver specific delay BS? IDK!!
im running a semi toaster actually. FX 6300 base, 8gb ram, gtx 750ti (mild factory oc). and on an HDD, an old one... that i haven't defrag'd in over a year, on a 3 mb connection.

2 hours ago, locojuan said:

can some one please post a video of this? i trully dont see the problem. plz, post a video. perhaps there is some driver specific delay BS? IDK!!
im running a semi toaster actually. FX 6300 base, 8gb ram, gtx 750ti (mild factory oc). and on an HDD, an old one... that i haven't defrag'd in over a year, on a 3 mb connection.

LoL you call that a toaster? 

My specs: Running warframe at 5-20 FPS (lowest settings), the only reason i still play at that is because i enjoy the game  

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II x4 940 Processor 3.00 GHz

Ram: 4GB DDR2

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5450  

the computer i have is about 9 years old

Edited by riedok

The mods on the left side of the slider are partly covered by the warframe, while the mods on the right side dont show up. It would look way better if that was just reversed.

D5OTM4B.jpg

zfJDHh5.jpg

As of now, it looks kinda janky.

Edited by AutoPhox

5 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Hey Tenno!

Item list fading was added in Update 20.2.0 as a means of improving performance for older or less powerful machines. This was not a UI design decision, but rather a necessary change to help prevent fellow Tenno from experiencing crashes caused by texture overloading. We understand visual changes may be a bit jarring at first, so we thank you for your understanding in light of performance improvements for others. 

What sort of machines are we talking about? I've been playing this game on a laptop with pentium, 4gb ram, geforce 920 and I never experienced any crashes. Yeah I can barely run the game on the lowest settings, but it doesn't crash. 

VulnRyp.gif

This is seriously bugging me too.. I mean if they're trying to optimise it, then why not just remove mods from view when it goes to the left?
Why the hell would they remove them from the right, where they're scrolling from?
Absolutely hideous UI design imho.