Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Low GPU Usage (<%10), FPS Stuttering, FPS Drops

DeaLyDeviL

Hello,

I back after 1 years. I downloaded the game. New features, extensions etc. are awesome! I love it. But unfortunately, GPU usage is dropping to under <%5-10. As normal I always take higher than 60FPS+ on max settings. I played today and tried it. My GPU usage is very very abnormal. FPS and Sounds are stuttering always. Game is unplayable. (Analyzed with MSI After Burner.)
When FPS drop down to under 10FPS, sounds & musics are sizzling, game is unplayable.

-I know, Warframe is pretty well designed. It uses GPU only %50 and easy to get 60 FPS with normal level GPU card.

-I tested, Warframe uses of all cores optimal. There's nothing wrong.

-Tested with vSync on/off, nothing changed.

-Tested with default graphic settings, nothing changed.

In short, I've been running with every settings combinations and permutation.

-Download cache optimized
-Shift Mode: Sport
-Power Level: Performance
-GPU Clock MHZ, RAM usage stable
-There is no
bottleneck.
-Temperatures stable

Drivers :
-All drivers all up to date. (nVidia, Realtek, DirectX, etc.)
nVidia options optimized. Everything set to performance.

System :

(MSI GE72 2QF Apache Pro)
GTX 970M
i7 4720HQ

Can someone help me, please ? (: Thanks...

Edited by DeaLyDeviL
correct title

Are you sure Nvidia Optimus isn't messing anything up? I use to have a gaming laptop that would sometimes swap to the integrated GPU when playing warframe. I'd try going into the Nvidia control panel and check under the "Manage 3D Settings" > "Programs Settings" > And select evolutionengine.exe as a program, it should show up in the list. Then there should be a drop down menu for preferred graphics processor, if not scroll down a bit to "CUDA GPUs" and make sure that only your 970m is selected.

Try it out see if it helps the next time you launch warframe

On 4/25/2017 at 10:16 PM, Zenviscerator said:

Are you sure Nvidia Optimus isn't messing anything up? I use to have a gaming laptop that would sometimes swap to the integrated GPU when playing warframe. I'd try going into the Nvidia control panel and check under the "Manage 3D Settings" > "Programs Settings" > And select evolutionengine.exe as a program, it should show up in the list. Then there should be a drop down menu for preferred graphics processor, if not scroll down a bit to "CUDA GPUs" and make sure that only your 970m is selected.

Try it out see if it helps the next time you launch warframe

Nothing changed, All settings are good. I can't figure it why its happen. We are talking about GTX970M

2 hours ago, DeaLyDeviL said:

Nothing changed, All settings are good. I can't figure it why its happen. We are talking about GTX970M

Hi DeaLyDeviL,

Have you tried shutting down any unnecessary background processes that you might have running? It's possible that an application could be conflicting with Warframe and causing it to perform this way. If we could rule that out then it should help us determine the cause moving forward.

If this does not help, then could you please set aside a copy of your EE.log + DxDiag after you've had these performance problems occur? Once you have done that, you can then send us the file in a support ticket so we can see if there is anything going on with the engine that we can improve.

Thanks!

Had the same thing happen to me during Jordas Verdict. FPS dropped, until it reached 15-20 on Stage 3. Meanwhile, the game only consumed 30% CPU and 10-15% GPU. After the raid was over, I still had 20 FPS in the Orbiter and the game froze. After restarting it FPS seemed normal, but I can't check what it's like in JV.

For me CPU usage hovers at around 90% on one core, despite multithreading being enabled whilst GPU stays at around 10-20%.

Using the latest drivers from NVidia, but will try turning off everything extraneous and see if it makes a difference.

Edited by Hououza

Same problem as OP. I noticed the FPS drop occurs when the CPU usage of Warframe drops to around 10ish %. I have tried almost everything; lowering settings, disabled AA, messed with options in launcher. It happens in almost any mission unless I'm in my ship.

AMD FX-8350

XFX RX480 8GB

Had this issue for quite some time now and I feel it shouldn't be dropping as much as it is. Also, tried completely reinstalling the game which didn't really solve anything.

Just logged in again today for the first time in a few days.  Met very bad performance.  Was playing a corpus raid mission on ceres. Normally I get 60 fps flat on almost every tileset, with high settings across the board (minus a few like motion-blur, and color correction), and maxed AA.  Playing today, my FPS hovered in the 50s when no npcs were on screen, and dropped to the 40s as soon as enemies or allies appeared.  Lots of stuttering as well.  I tried turning every setting to it's lowest and turned every feature off to no avail, in fact it almost seemed to make the performance drop by a few frames on average.  Only thing i did not do was lower game resolution or fov (call me a snob, that's fair, but when i have to lower these i consider the game unplayable in it's state).

Seems that something in one of the latest patches might need optimizing?  Unless  there happens to be a  tweak in the AMD/Nvidia driver settings that can help?

Secsy specs:

Windows10
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280x (fully updated drivers)
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
8gb RAM

Ok, done some more testing now, only things enabled were:

• Logitech Gaming Framework
  • MSI Afterburner

Slight increase in usage, now went up to 35%, but still getting bad framerates and significant drops in performance.

Also observed, CPU usage staying at 100% on CPU1 almost constantly, with little to no usage on other cores. Does this match with anyone else's experience?

On 01.05.2017 at 10:53 PM, [DE]Dmitri said:

Hi DeaLyDeviL,

Have you tried shutting down any unnecessary background processes that you might have running? It's possible that an application could be conflicting with Warframe and causing it to perform this way. If we could rule that out then it should help us determine the cause moving forward.

If this does not help, then could you please set aside a copy of your EE.log + DxDiag after you've had these performance problems occur? Once you have done that, you can then send us the file in a support ticket so we can see if there is anything going on with the engine that we can improve.

Thanks!

Hi, 

Thank you for your interest first of all. I sent a "support ticket" that should be required log and dxdiag files 2-3 days ago. But unfortunately I did not get a feed-back mail. Would you please check the support ticket ?

Thanks...

Hello, someone who was having the same issue here. I actually cleaned up my CPU because it's been a while. Now, trust me I'm shocked as you probably are but the temps lowered and fps hasn't dropped in a while since I've done it. I was always worried about "bottleneck" which I know is still there, but it's much better on performance after a good clean. Just wanted to update because I thought it would give some improvement and it definitely has.

While we are investigating this issue, could everyone please try switching to "Prefer maximum performance" in the Nvidia Control Panel? This can be found under "Manage 3D settings". We would just like to rule it out as a potential culprit.

NvidiaPower011.png.390d39264d4f88a9ca1c1312d143634f.png

Thanks!

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

1 hour ago, Hououza said:

Glad to know some one is investigating, will test this out over the weekend.

[DE]Dmitri, can I confirm are you asking us to do this for all settings or just Warframe?

Just Warframe is fine, however if you would prefer to do it for all settings then feel free to. Either works.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

6 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

While we are investigating this issue, could everyone please try switching to "Prefer maximum performance" in the Nvidia Control Panel? This can be found under "Manage 3D settings". We would just like to rule it out as a potential culprit.

Thanks!

Thanks, But everything is set to "maximum performance". Everythings is OK. All the frequencies are stable(except for GPU usage) :sadcry:

@[DE]Dmitri

Following your instructions I amended the settings, also disabled the battery boost option in GeForce Experience. I did notice some improvement initially, with GPU usage ticking up higher than previously, however the frame rates were still highly variable and the usage percentage changed frequently. As before, changes to the graphics settings do not appear to make any improvement to performance.

In comparison, Rainbow Six Siege stays at around 70% usage constantly.

Would DXDiag, etc. still be useful at this stage (if I can find them)?

On 5/11/2017 at 8:53 AM, [DE]Dmitri said:

Thanks!

I don't really have the issue as much as I did when I posted about it. Sadly though I do not have Nvidia (I have Radeon/AMD RX 480)

Ok, made some headway with this issue finally.

Updated the Intel Graphics driver to the latest version, leaving the NVIDIA settings as is, performance seemed to be smoother this time although still not quite as good as expected.

I think this might be an engine issue, seems to have manifested since the issues with PhysX, so might be related.

What can we do to aid with any further diagnosis?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, same issue here, 

submitted a ticket but support suggests the usual stuff, not knowing where to help me. Can't blame them. 

Did a clean O/S Install (Win 10x64) on a brand new SSD, with upd drivers and all that. Went to OC mode using afterburner, ryzen master and AI suite:

Ryzen 5 1600x @ 4.0 Ghz / DDR4 RAM @ 2633 Mhz / MSI GTX 970 SLI

Used to perform perfectly @144 fps in 1440p (no bloom), right now 50-120 fps in missions and 300 fps uncapped inside space ship. 

Tried tweaking power modes, NVidia settings, dropping services, etc, launching DX10/11, optimizing, running x32 mode etc etc.

Does not help. The game refuses to use more than 40% GPU and 20% CPU keeping it cool and quiet, though. 

Disabled SLI, same issue but on much lower settings or worse FPS. 

I guess this is a broad problem with 2k resolution in the engine after patch. Have to wait and see I guess once the Devs get down to this issue after the dust after Oberon prime release settles.

Cheers.

PS

Other games run flawlessly, like Witcher III on Ultra, hairworks off, 80 FPS when staring at a forest @ 1440p. 

Edited by Dostaff

1680@1050/120hz
Fx6300
GTX680
SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 
win7 sp1 up2date incl drivers

CPU doesnt bother going past 35%, GPU cant even reach 30% 
FPS fluctuations between 40-120 /locked max via RTSS/

"It is not background tasks" or "Handles" or w/e u may think it is.

The problem can be solved only by the Developers by removing the poor optimization restrictions. In other words , deal with it guys :) 

Hey I just wanted to chime in and say I'm getting this issue too with my brand new PC. Not running anything in the background, getting 60+ fps consistently but the stuttering makes it basically unplayable. I've messed around with every setting, still nothing.

CPU: AMD FX 4300, 4cpus ~3.8GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1050
RAM: 8gb