Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Low GPU Usage (<%10), FPS Stuttering, FPS Drops

DeaLyDeviL

The problem is still going on, I can not play the game. :(

Today, I clean-reinstalled Windows 10. I only installed newest DirectX, Nvidia drivers, some vc++ drivers and Warframe. I have to say, unfortunately, the problem is not from me. Sorry Warframe devs, please check again.

@[DE]Dmitri 

I already sent bug report a few months ago. I guess it was not a solution. :(

Thanks...

I checked everything again from the beginning. There is not bottleneck between GPU / CPU (and all cores, threads). I do not know what the problem is. When the environment is empty, FPS and Usage is very stable. It starts when the entities (mobs, creatures, and what you say) comes. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I reinstalled/updated the Warframe after 3 months. Suddenly GPU usage drops has improved a bit but is still going on. No problem on main-base/ship. According to the mob count, there is an increase in the right ratio. Like %30 to -> %5 after %10 .. .It only happens in this game. :(

@[DE]Dmitri 

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah warframe is honestly a joke. A mixed bag. A lottery for performance.

My mate with a GTX 760 ran 60fps+ all day every day with maxish settings including in 4 member squads in late infested missions.
Guy with a 560m gets 60fps on medium, Mate with a 950m get's 30fps on low.
Yet here i am with TWO.... yes... TWO GTX 1080s' and it still pulls me under 60 in those missions, 400 in liset, 40 in psycho missions. i look at my GPU usage and the main one is at 30 percent and the second one barely gets used at all even when in SLI, even when dedicated to PHYSX.
One thread on my 4770k is pinned while the rest are at like 20. So this points to warframe not having a @(*()&#036; clue what to do with a CPU even with multithreaded rendering enabled. So a giant CPU bottleneck on a still modestly powerful overclocked albeit old CPU.

Why is it that i can run Doom 4 on nightmare settings on both OpenGL and Vulkan (AMD optimised) at 2560x1080p at 200fps all day every day but warframe goes under 40 in a squad of 4?
Why does playing in a squad have such a totally performance to playing solo?
It never even used to be this way, it happened since like UB9 or something.

They're never getting around to it. If they can play at it 30fps on a S#&amp;&#036; laptop, that's good enough for them.

Y'know, some of us have high refresh rate monitors. To me... 60fps isn't as good as it once was. I desire a consistent 120hz+.... But warframe does not deliver.
P.S. Lowering settings doesn't do jack diddly.

I have over a thousand logged hours in this game never have I had fps problems I have always ran this game at 60fps on all of the high settings, but now I get these random fps drops, for example i'll just be idling in the game and 5 minutes in my framerate slowly begins to drop to 40 at which case it stays at 40fps until I restart the game. The weirdest thing about it is it happens no matter what am doing ingame. My theory is it has something to do with the servers regarding the upcoming PoE.

Bumping as well. I have almost 2k hours logged in Warframe. My PC, although it's a couple years old now, is able to run Warframe at high graphic settings at 60 FPS at almost all times.

Today, I try to log on and the most I'm getting is 20 and I'm just in my ship! There haven't been any updates to the game for a while because DE is working on Plains of Eidolon for this week, so I'm failing to see what could be the problem on their end.

SPECS:

MANUFACTURER: CyberPowerPC

PROCESSOR: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor @ 4.00Ghz

RAM: 16.0 GB

GRAPHICS CARD: AMD Radeon R7 370 Series (2GB VRAM)

EDIT: inb4 "have you tried turning it on and off again" jokes. I restarted my PC and I'm back to 60FPS HD glory. I'm still interested in why this happens though. Is it possible for certain firmware to boot up improperly or something?

Edited by Teksorbkyva
Issue Resolved, but still curious

Just chiming in to say I got a similar issue during the last few days.

The performance used to be decent (constant ~120fps which is what I aim at), but now, it drops down to 50 or even less sometimes during missions.

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.8GHz

RAM: DDR3 16GB, 1600MHz

Disk: M.2 250GB drive

EDIT: Solved it shortly after by loading "default" "High" profile for display options.

EDIT2: Now it's back again with full force in Cetus. Hitting 40-50 FPS with low utilization (both GPU and CPU). The game is unplayable like that and I won't even bother spoiling it with this experience. As I come back to the ship, the framerate goes to 300+ and utilization jumps (I start hearing fans in my machine as well, as it should be). As soon as I go back to cetus - BOOM, the game no longer using hardware, all fans go quiet and framerate dips.
I don't know what to do about it, else than waiting for a fix.

EDIT3: Power usage graph https://imgur.com/kLSMFDV

Edited by Vragg_

So
I have an I7 6700 + gtx 1070 + 16GB RAM and I never noticed my gpu not going above 50% load (with some fps drop under 60fps), until I bought a Lenovo Legion with i5 7300HQ + gtx 1050ti + 8GB RAM and I noticed it never reach even 50%, running the game like crap (I disabled the intel gpu).
I thought it was a general optimization problem then I tried the game with my friend's i5 6something + gtx 1070 + 16 GB RAM. Fps to the roof and 90+% gpu load.
So, does anyone know what could be the problem here?
DE seems to completely ignore the issue, and I bought a lot of plat all these years I played. I'm a litte disappointed.

ps... All the pcs are running Windows 10.

Edited by Fedaykyn

Same problem here, this is ongoing. Random whether it occurs on launch, but if it launches fine then I get maybe 1, 2 missions tops before the game dips below 20 fps. Up until now I've been resetting every time this happened to the dismay of my friends, although they understood, however now since it's happening on launch as well, it feels pointless to try. Rolling with a GTX1070, 16gb ram like many others in this thread, and I've tried all these suggestions. I hope you guys get around to fixing this eventually, I'm dying to play and this is just straight up bumming me out.

Same here, is weird when i play alone it works perfectly using cpu and gpu but when i am in a relay, cetus or play online with other people the cpu dont pass over 50% in intense moments and the gpu dont pass 30%.

I play in Windows 10 with a  i5 3570k and a gtx 1070.

Edited by Mfreak

Same problem here, been trying to figure out what is causing this issue, i thought it was on my end...rocking a ryzen 7 1700 gtx 1070 and 16 gigs of ram, fresh install of windows..i start with 250+ fps then it drops and it drops until it reaches 40-50 fps, sometimes as low as 20, with gpu usage being around 10%

• 2 weeks later...

I'm cheap. My i3 2120 4gb ram 750ti over clocked runs the game fine. However I play it on my big screen TV so I have v sync (60fps) on now because after 2 updates ago the screen tearing is getting worse. My GPU usage goes from 50 to 99% constantly but I don't get fps drops. I play max settings with blur weapon trails and something else off. So if you have a 1080ti and a i7 7700k and can't play it just buy a old piece of junk like mine and I bet it will work 👌

Started seeing these same issues a few weeks before PoE dropped: frame rates below 50fps and sometimes dropping into the 20s randomly and bad frame pacing causing the game to stutter while playing. I'm running an i7-6700HQ and a 1070GTX with all the performance options set in the drivers on a gaming laptop. I could previously set v-sync off and basically select any max frame rate I wanted and the game would stay there, but now doing that results in the game running maybe in the 70s or lower, and I've never had problems like this before.

it's something to do with the updates. My GPU usage used to be 99% all the time. And my fps used to be 180 but then it was jumping around then it got worse and now I have it locked at 60 but the GPU usage is from 50-100 constantly. Maybe a new nvidia driver update would solve this

• 1 month later...

In my case, I discovered my laptop's CPU was thermal throttling, so I opened it up and took off the CPU's heat pipe setup and found that the thermal paste on the CPU was completely dried out, and this is a laptop less than a year old, so utterly cheap thermal paste. Talk about an absurd cost cutting move. After I added some better thermal paste, the constant low FPS issue has been resolved, but I still see the low FPS later in missions that go on for a while, like survival.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, greedo_10 said:

This is still happening, I have it on my GTX 1080 i7 4700k and it is awful no fix has worked yet sadly.

I posted this on reddit and they told me to make sure I only have 1 directx turned on. So I left DX11 only on.  I pretty sure if you have nvidia physx on it may also be a cause but I left it on.  I also turned off nvidia overlay background thingy for games, dont know if that makes a difference.  

But ever since I turned off DX10 I havent seen this problem so far.

Edited by sneakatone
added nvidia overlay

So I just upgraded my gpu from the gt 720 to the gtx 1060 3gb and it seems to have made a huge difference. However I still get unexplainable performance drops. The frame rate will usually start at around 200-300 frames and a couple of minutes later its hovering around 70 to 90 frames. (Not to mention the hint of micro stuttering) Other then that its very much playable, but am still left with a lot of unanswered questions. My sympathy goes out to everyone else who is having this issue and I hope this issue is resolved for everyone's sake 

Hardware specs:

CPU: i5 4460

GPU: GTX 1060 3gb

RAM: 8gbs ddr3