The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Exactly Is The Sobek An Auto-Shotgun?!

TheAlfax

I started calling it the Grineer Super Soaker on the wiki page.

This shotgun looks like a double-barreled shotgun, yet has the size of a braton for some reason. Turning it into an automatic peashooter is as logical as making a scythe that launches unicorns with each swing.

Come on DE. Just turn it into a double barreled shotgun with HUGE damage. 2 shells that deal insane damage each, with good fire rate and a decent reload speed. That would save this shotgun from the hell it is in. I was shown a double barreled shotgun, and I heard Rebecca say ''click click boom''. Why would you turn it into a crappy Boar? Hell, the Boar already lacks punch when compared to the Strun and Hek (its not really designed to be a nuke launcher, either, but rather a DPS monster). This is a Grineer Super Soaker. The kind that grineer soldiers buy for their kids on christmas so they can shoot water at each other, or nerf darts, whatever fits. Im sticking with water.

From what I can see, the grineer have two categories of weapons, low damage in exchange for high fire rate and clip (grakata) or high damage and fire rate with low clip (dual vipers). Presently, it seems to fall into the former (like the grakata of shotguns) except that its fire rate is actually slower than the boar, making it a slower, weaker, boar with only a better clip size.

The way I see it, they can go two ways with this: either go with the more popular suggestion of making it a one shot, mega powerful shotgun (preferably one that fires solid slugs) OR raise the base damage to say 60-65 and make it a "fires as fast as you pull the trigger" type gun, so it's still a shotgun equivalent of the Grakata, and can still deliver very high DPS despite being weaker than the boar.

Honestly, 40 damage? the Latron does 40 damage, and there's no pellet spread on that.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

That could work, too (and would be very curious... damn it), but a big-&#! one-shot wonder feels a bit better in your hands.

This. I just want to hear a huge blast with every shot, so I FEEL like I'm shooting a big-&#! shotgun. My idea? 2 really powerful blasts per magazine. Maybe make both barrels shoot out pellets with every shot.

That could work, too (and would be very curious... damn it), but a big-&#! one-shot wonder feels a bit better in your hands.

In terms of balancing, even though the damage is still low, it would improve the ammo efficiency enough to make it worth it. Agreed on the one shot wonder thing. My double barrel is an absolute beast(In real life).

I would go as far as to say, leave the size alone(Mag looks ridiculous with a Gorgon). The accuracy and range should stay the same as well. Just give it a damage buff and two shots per round expended. The rest is negotiable.

EDIT: typographical error

Edited by DCypherThis13

Just increase its crit damage to 2.0 and crit chance to 15% - 20% and there, this weapon will be like its rifle counterpart, the Grakata.

Except on shotgun ammo pool. Duh. 

In terms of balancing, even though the damage is still low, it would improve the ammo efficiency enough to make it worth it. Agreed on the one shot wonder thing. My double barrel is an absolute beast(In real life).

I would go as far as to say, leave the size alone(Mag looks ridiculous with a Gorgon). The accuracy and range should stay the same as well. Just give it a damage buff and two shots per round expended. The rest is negotiable.

EDIT: typographical error

Yeah, that would be very curious, in terms that you'd have an ability to use the ammo more wisely against weak mobs, and concentrate on the tougher mobs, however annoying it would become later in the game.

Only reason for it not to be one-shot mag is that it's model has a drum on it, and it's very easy to see that drum to be the mag. So, it would benefit from being sort of hek-oh-steroids, with slow rate of fire, and four loads in the drum (two shells for each). And, maybe, half-damage mechanic for the extra shells the mods will invariantly bring.

Scythe that launches unicorns! DO IT DE!

But yeah, a double-barreled shotty would be nice to have indeed. Maybe finallly have a gun consume two bullets at once, even?

exactly what i think Sobek could be to make it good. as it is now it's ooookay. it's the only shotgun i like, both in design, and function. but it's 4 pellets per shot is ridiculous and i use up tons of ammo not really killing anything. it's not a Hek, that's for sure. 

if we increased the pellets per shot to say, 12, but it consumed two shells per shot (being double barrel), it would be a very unique shotgun. 

in it's current state, it's more novelty than use. but i love that this shotgun has decent accuracy at medium range, and a very stable rate of fire. it also looks really cool, i think. 

on a side note, based on the stats of this shotgun, i expected this to have good crit chance. but after sticking crit chance on it, i was still almost never critting. still needs more pellets - 4 pellets is pathetic for a shotgun. 

Edited by taiiat

exactly what i think Sobek could be to make it good. as it is now it's ooookay. it's the only shotgun i like, both in design, and function. but it's 4 pellets per shot is ridiculous and i use up tons of ammo not really killing anything. it's not a Hek, that's for sure. 

if we increased the pellets per shot to say, 12, but it consumed two shells per shot (being double barrel), it would be a very unique shotgun. 

in it's current state, it's more novelty than use. but i love that this shotgun has decent accuracy at medium range, and a very stable rate of fire. it also looks really cool, i think. 

on a side note, based on the stats of this shotgun, i expected this to have good crit chance. but after sticking crit chance on it, i was still almost never critting. still needs more pellets - 4 pellets is pathetic for a shotgun. 

As things stand right now, the Sobek is like the Cronus: A fantastic trophy weapon.

Only the Cronus can actually kill stuff instead of tickling it.

Speaking of tickling, this reminds me about a certain weapon in Halo Reach which used to completely blow at launch. The Focus Rifle or ''Tickle Beam''. Good times. Good times.

Edited by TheAlfax

This shotgun looks like a double-barreled shotgun, yet has the size of a braton for some reason. Turning it into an automatic peashooter is as logical as making a scythe that launches unicorns with each swing.

Come on DE. Just turn it into a double barreled shotgun with HUGE damage. 2 shells that deal insane damage each, with good fire rate and a decent reload speed. That would save this shotgun from the hell it is in. I was shown a double barreled shotgun, and I heard Rebecca say ''click click boom''. Why would you turn it into a crappy Boar? Hell, the Boar already lacks punch when compared to the Strun and Hek (its not really designed to be a nuke launcher, either, but rather a DPS monster). This is a Grineer Super Soaker. The kind that grineer soldiers buy for their kids on christmas so they can shoot water at each other, or nerf darts, whatever fits. Im sticking with water.

We have such shotgun , its huge and has FOUR barrels and does 140 dmg even more with mods.Honestly you guys are just upset over the Sobek because its a iconic double barrel not doing insane dmg and it shoots nerf darts.

We have such shotgun , its huge and has FOUR barrels and does 140 dmg even more with mods.Honestly you guys are just upset over the Sobek because its a iconic double barrel not doing insane dmg and it shoots nerf darts.

Here, have some bloody stats

Hek = 148.61 DPS

Strun = 119.45 DPS 

Boar = 171.43 DPS

Sobek = exactly 80 DPS

I think we have the right to complain. Not only because the design doesn't fit its purpose, but because it's completely bloody useless.

Edited by TheAlfax

It's fully automatic so the Boar users can point at the Sobek and laugh at how much it sucks.