The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it worth upgrading shield mods

BuckDeFrame

I'm pretty new to Warframe so have been learning while playing and watching youtube video's ;cos warframe it self doesn't hold hands with a new player. Any way while I was watching videos I saw lot of people don't invest in upgrading their shield mods some doesn't even use them.

So I would like to ask from the community is it worth investing time in upgrading mods which are effecting shields or is it better to upgrade health and armor mods along with power mods ?

Why I ask this is I currently use Excalibur and Rhino ( <-- Love this warframe ) I made mistake while upgrading and upgraded my Redirection mod to 8 now my rhino has 990 shield capacity I'm ok with that but want to hear from the veterans of the game what should I do in the long run should I waste time upgrading shield base modes or concentrate more on health and armor.

27 minutes ago, CyB0RGp4NTTH3R said:

So I would like to ask from the community is it worth investing time in upgrading mods which are affecting shields or is it better to upgrade health and armor mods along with power mods?

Most people invest in health mods because shields does not protect you from Damage Over Time procs, such as slash and toxinHealth is also easier to replenish with certain mods (Life Strike, Medi-Ray, etc.)

The only advantage shield has is that it regenerate on its own over time. It's also useful on some frames with high shields such as Mag, Trinity, etc. but you're better off with health mods and a lot of bulletjumping later on in the game.

Armor is also very circumstancial and only useful for frames with a lot of them in the first place. 120% for Nyx's 15 armor isn't going to save her :v

Edited by Beggining
Woop da Woop

Regarding Warframes with low Armor, Redirection is still a good choice. Tanky frames will prefer Steel Fiber/Vitality over Redirection, but for frames with less than 100 armor, everything will still OS you at some point.

Keep in mind that the shields are regenerating by themselves. Not life.

After that, Vitality or Redirection is up to your personal preference. There are a few cases where Redirection is forbidden (obviously Inaros and Nidus, but also Chroma built for Vex Armor or any Warframe you will build with Rage), but in general, equip what you prefer.

Edit : Anyway, if your Redirection is Rank 8 right now, keep it like that. In a general matter, I wouldn't recommend you to upgrade Mods further than R8, it costs way too much for little benefit right now. You can upgrade those later.

Edited by Chewarette

17 minutes ago, CyB0RGp4NTTH3R said:

I'm pretty new to Warframe so have been learning while playing and watching youtube video's ;cos warframe it self doesn't hold hands with a new player. Any way while I was watching videos I saw lot of people don't invest in upgrading their shield mods some doesn't even use them.

So I would like to ask from the community is it worth investing time in upgrading mods which are effecting shields or is it better to upgrade health and armor mods along with power mods ?

Why I ask this is I currently use Excalibur and Rhino ( <-- Love this warframe ) I made mistake while upgrading and upgraded my Redirection mod to 8 now my rhino has 990 shield capacity I'm ok with that but want to hear from the veterans of the game what should I do in the long run should I waste time upgrading shield base modes or concentrate more on health and armor.

Upgrade them all

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)Oussii said:

I have been playing warframe since 2 years

Never i used armor mod except for frost, as you need it to make a stronger bubble

So you mean to say drop armor keep Shield and Health at full ?

I currently use Rhino a lot as my Tank and Excalibur as my long range blade guy I use armor on both think armor mos is at 7 on both according to you it's beat to drop armor on Excalibur and Rhino upgrade health and shield instead ?

Edited by CyB0RGp4NTTH3R

Generally, I rarely use them. This game does not have shield gating, so say I have 0 armor, 250 shields, and 250 health. If I take 500 damage, I'm dead.

However, they are working on adding shield gating, which means instead of that extra 250 damage going to my health after my shields are gone, it disappears completely.

Better to use the mods that best affect the frame you are using. Some frames have nothing for shields, or even use their shields as part of their skillset, so buffing them isnt optimal. Armor on the other hand on some frames is pretty much useless. Its entirely based on which frame for if the mod will be useful.

So from all your replies what I understand is see what is the biggest values out of 3 on the frame then buff them ignore the lower one.

EX: some wf have Armor:50, Shield: 150, and Health: 100 (I buff Shield and Health) another Armor: 200 Shield: 100 Health: 150 (I buff Armor and Health) another Armor: 150, Shieid: 150 health: 100 (I buff  Armor and Shield also little bit of health)

Am I correct in my above example assessment.

It depends heavily on what frame you're using.

Personally, I have a rank 9 (never bothered with that last rank) redirection, which I use on a couple of the lower-armored frames, but for a number of warframes, I don't run with redirection on, and on many of the frames that I've built so they're centered on rage, I will intentionally run missions with a decaying dragon key to reduce my shields to 25%.

But otherwise, here's an explanation of why many people will forgo shield mods: on almost every frame, shields are inferior to health. While shields CAN regenerate, they aren't affected by any sort of armor, meaning that they'll go down incredibly quickly. Health, on the other hand, can receive heavy damage mitigation from armor values, and in team play, there's a large number of ways to gain that health back. So, if forced to decide between vitality or redirection, most will choose the former.

Another thing to keep in mind is, with warframe's current damage scaling, at higher levels, especially on squishier frames, no amount of survivability mods are going to save you, and the best strategy is to not get hit. In classic horde shooter mentality, the enemy can't hit you if they're dead, so many people will sacrifice survivability mods with extra duration, range, or strength.

if you're going to use Shield Mods on this or that Warframe, then ofcourse you want to upgrade them.
obviously on a Warframe with increased Health/Armor but reduced Shields, probably won't use Shield Mods, but....

all you need to know objectively, is that their uses cases vary.
and that if someone tells you that Health/Armor/Shield isn't useful, that they're lying to you with some underhanded agenda. whether you desire this or that in some certain circumstance will vary. actually Skilled Players will not be telling you these things aren't effective and shouldn't be used.
there is but one exception, of if there is a preface of facing Enemies of multiple hundreds of Levels, where for most Warframes one hit by anything is death regardless of survivability Mods. and therefore more CC or more Damage Reduction Et Cetera is preferred.

37 minutes ago, CyB0RGp4NTTH3R said:

So from all your replies what I understand is see what is the biggest values out of 3 on the frame then buff them ignore the lower one.

EX: some wf have Armor:50, Shield: 150, and Health: 100 (I buff Shield and Health) another Armor: 200 Shield: 100 Health: 150 (I buff Armor and Health) another Armor: 150, Shieid: 150 health: 100 (I buff  Armor and Shield also little bit of health)

generally, yes since we're talking in broad strokes.
there is an exception, of that there is absolutely no Warframe that gains more EHP from an Armor Mod than a Health Mod(Valkyr is close). so Armor only if you already have Health Equipped. Armor alone is inferior.
with a second exception, being if your Abilities interface with Shields/Health/Armor, as that can change preferences.

Edited by taiiat

34 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

Generally, I rarely use them. This game does not have shield gating, so say I have 0 armor, 250 shields, and 250 health. If I take 500 damage, I'm dead.

However, they are working on adding shield gating, which means instead of that extra 250 damage going to my health after my shields are gone, it disappears completely.

I really hope DE doesn't implement shield gating. The shot that broke your shields doesn't just disappear once it's broken your shields, the rest of that damage is gonna carry through.

As far as the OP's question, yes, it is. People tend to exaggerate on these Forums. There are things that can by-pass your shields, yes, but they don't happen that often with a proper mod set-up and combat awareness. There are even mods to make sure things that attack health directly don't outright kill you. Toxin damage for example can pass shields, but armor can reduce the damage taken, unless it's a Toxic Ancient, then you're just dead. Sometimes Slash damage can be proc'd on you by enemies, a good mod to have is Rapid Resilience, because it reduces how long procs last on you.

32 minutes ago, CyB0RGp4NTTH3R said:

Buffing Armor and Shield is borderline useless. Damage done on your Shield doesn't take into account your Armor, only your Health does.

For me that's the following :

- Squishy frame (that is not supposed to take damage) : Shield. Applies for frames like Mag, Trinity, Loki... All those frames that will die on the first bullet they take in the face

- Tanky frames : Vitality always, Steel Fiber depends on the usage and on the frame. For example, both on Chroma. I only use Vitality on Nidus, not Steel Fiber because in my opinion he is tanky enough without it. I always differentiate "Facetanking Warframes" and "Tanky Warframes that can eventually sustain or avoid damage". Chroma is here to be in the middle of the battlefield so he will have to be built with Armor and Health. Nidus, even if he has the ability to tank everything, has enough skills to avoid damage (his 2, 3 and 4 control, + the 3 also gives 90% flat damage reduction anyway). Same goes for Melee warframes that I will use with Naramon, I keep Vitality for safeness but I won't waste one slot for Steel Fiber.

Edited by Chewarette

13 minutes ago, CyB0RGp4NTTH3R said:

So it's best to play the frame get an idea what it can do then buff it's strengths to over shadow it's weaknesses.

Pretty much. Take Loki as an example. He has low health and shields but he has invisibility and can disarm enemies. Why mod for health or shields when you can maximize invisibility duration or disarm range? Having extra health or shield is nice to have but it becomes useless if enemies can 1 hit you.

1 hour ago, CyB0RGp4NTTH3R said:

So you mean to say drop armor keep Shield and Health at full ?

I currently use Rhino a lot as my Tank and Excalibur as my long range blade guy I use armor on both think armor mos is at 7 on both according to you it's beat to drop armor on Excalibur and Rhino upgrade health and shield instead ?

That's my style of playing, but you don't have to play like me

Each has his style, i am just telling you my point of view

some characters of mine don't even have health nor armor nor shield. Zip.. nothing

Edited by (XB1)Oussii

1 hour ago, CyB0RGp4NTTH3R said:

lot of people don't invest in upgrading their shield mods some doesn't even use them

Because shields are pretty much useless if you go against enemies that deal damage high enough to one-shot you. Same goes for hp mods and armor.

Once you are going for an endurance run and there will be enemies capable of one-shotting you, there's no point in hp/shields/armor. And if you can do without that nonsese on high levels, you can do without it on mid-low as well, so they are useless.

Edited by SeaUrchins

Shields are basically health without armor tat regenerates. If a warframe has low armor and high shields, like Mag, then you are better off putting redirection since it is multiplicative and no additive.Some Warframes are special, like Rhino because their abilities also use the armor so you'd put more armor on those. For now you are good at R8.

Later you'll find more special mods that let you bend the rules, like life strike, but later.

1 hour ago, JSharpie said:

However, they are working on adding shield gating

Are they though? This idea has been thown arownd here on forums for more than eternity, but I thought it was stuck forever in suggestion limbo.

At least I don't remember DE mentioning anything about it. And I haven't missed a devstream for more than a year.

Unless something just slipped my attention. Would be great if they indeed are working on it.