The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it worth upgrading shield mods

BuckDeFrame

Like most people here, it depends on the type of frames.

If shield is not a lot, go for both Health and Armor. Bring Health regens, Health restore or Health stealing weapon and you're good to go.

Vice Versa, go for the highest Redirection you can get and try not to get shot at.

Personally, utility is the most important and helpful. Considering there's Loki going Invisible and Radial Disarm. Nyx to cause Chaos against each other. Nova with the slowest Molecular Prime. Hyroid with the ever abusive tentacles. Trinity with tanking abilities that can give Rhino a run for his money. Valkyr because she's unkillable. and so on and so forth. Nowadays, I hardly use my Rhino Prime for anything other than Solo when I can do things much faster and more efficient with my other frames. I have presets set for all kinds of situations(Be it Rescue, Survival, Defense, etc)

Edited by RaiuLyn

I always run Vitality, because health is affected by armour values while shields are not, and Shields can't protect from Toxin or Slash Procs, which are heavily used by Infested and Grineer respectively. Armour mods scale off of base Armour, so they're only useful on frames that already have high armour, such as Valkyr/Prime and Atlas.

I find that just running a Taxon Sentinel gives me more than enough shields anyway.

Shield mods are good if you are a new player but if you go for example in a long endless mission they are pretty useless. Overall it worth investing on them you dont need to max it out half should be fine. Look at your warframe stats and see if the shield increase is worth it or not.

20 hours ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

I really hope DE doesn't implement shield gating. The shot that broke your shields doesn't just disappear once it's broken your shields, the rest of that damage is gonna carry through.

As far as the OP's question, yes, it is. People tend to exaggerate on these Forums. There are things that can by-pass your shields, yes, but they don't happen that often with a proper mod set-up and combat awareness. There are even mods to make sure things that attack health directly don't outright kill you. Toxin damage for example can pass shields, but armor can reduce the damage taken, unless it's a Toxic Ancient, then you're just dead. Sometimes Slash damage can be proc'd on you by enemies, a good mod to have is Rapid Resilience, because it reduces how long procs last on you.

We're talking about a video game. If I have an energy shield that negates damage but has a level of damage it takes before it needs to recharge, that bullet will have bounced off by the time it breaks. Or the laser has dissipated, whatever.

Besides, I'll throw logic to the wind if it makes a gameplay mechanic more viable.

9 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

We're talking about a video game. If I have an energy shield that negates damage but has a level of damage it takes before it needs to recharge, that bullet will have bounced off by the time it breaks. Or the laser has dissipated, whatever.

Besides, I'll throw logic to the wind if it makes a gameplay mechanic more viable.

What I'm more concerned about is if the Corpus will get shield-gating as well, and if they do, if it will make bows and snipers less viable for them (since you can't one-shot them anymore).

Yes, it is worth upgrading Shield mods. Survivability is key and should always be on your Warframe unless you have something better. Usually, most Warframes have better things to mod for when a player's mod collection grows (at MR17 I only have a few frames I still mod for shields), but until a collection becomes pretty diverse, having that free survivability is recommended.

In the case of Rhino, modded Shields are pretty decent, but not wholly necessary thanks to his considerable Health and Armor, as well as his Iron Skin. Rhino is best modded, in my experience, with Armor first, Health next and Shields last.

1 hour ago, Beggining said:

What I'm more concerned about is if the Corpus will get shield-gating as well, and if they do, if it will make bows and snipers less viable for them (since you can't one-shot them anymore).

Eh, I mean, as long as Toxin damage continues to work the way it does, we'll just ignore the Shields anyways.

Edited by (XB1)Graysmog

This really belongs in Players Helping Other Players and not General Discussion.  

Now with that out out of the way it really depends on the frame.  Volt really benefits if you're using one of his syndicate mods.  Other frames also benefit from it.  The reason you don't see a lot of youtubers put shields on is because one they're experienced and can do better by using the slot for something else, or they're doing something else with the frame that mitigates their dependence on survivability.  

1 hour ago, Beggining said:

That's the thing. I surely hope that Shield-gating only applied to us and not to the enemies.

6 minutes ago, Gamma745 said:

That's the thing. I surely hope that Shield-gating only applied to us and not to the enemies.

Well that could be changed easily I guess. They just have to change Warframe shields to a special warframe only variety and have gating as feature of it and the other ones are untouched. IIRC we're currently using the basic corpus shield tech.

I'd be much more interested in having shield be a much better damage mitigation or resistance tool with only certain types of damage being able to strip it quickly. Or have it go the other way around. Shield actually deflect the shots like a lightsabre does to a blaster bolt. With certain damage types inflicting damage to the shields integrity while it just takes base drain deflecting everything else.

Edited by Andaius

11 hours ago, JSharpie said:

Shields are already viable as is because they are the difference between you being dead on the floor in 1 second compared to being dead on the floor in 2 seconds or not at all. Of course that's just exaggeration on my part, but shields make all the difference. And I've already thought about that, the whole "It's a video game" logic doesn't work on something that's mostly feasible IRL, the only thing we don't have yet is the technology for it. Simply said, your shield draws energy to be kept up and repel all manner of projectiles by burning them away. Shields recharging is those capacitors or emitters or whatever simply filling up what was lost from an impact, which in this case is the damage of the nullified projectile, which since it's a game is a number. Shields completely breaking would not nullify incoming projectiles anymore and the shields have to recharge to become full, thus damage to health occurs

8 hours ago, 1tsyB1tsyN1nj4 said:

Shields are already viable as is because they are the difference between you being dead on the floor in 1 second compared to being dead on the floor in 2 seconds or not at all. Of course that's just exaggeration on my part, but shields make all the difference. And I've already thought about that, the whole "It's a video game" logic doesn't work on something that's mostly feasible IRL, the only thing we don't have yet is the technology for it. Simply said, your shield draws energy to be kept up and repel all manner of projectiles by burning them away. Shields recharging is those capacitors or emitters or whatever simply filling up what was lost from an impact, which in this case is the damage of the nullified projectile, which since it's a game is a number. Shields completely breaking would not nullify incoming projectiles anymore and the shields have to recharge to become full, thus damage to health occurs

Ever played any modern shooter ever? Yeah? Every time you even get shot you should go down.

Video games should not be real life, also, we control metalflesh puppets with mind control gained from another dimension. I think ti's safe to say Shield Gating is okay to add to the game.

12 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

Video games should not be real life, also, we control metalflesh puppets with mind control gained from another dimension. I think ti's safe to say Shield Gating is okay to add to the game.

I still say no because it would make the base game boring. Shield recharge mods pretty much mean that ducking out of combat for a second means you get all your shields back and pretty much never run the risk of dying or even feeling that tension of being on low health while shields are down. The levels at which everyone pretends to play, the thing everyone calls "endgame", shield gating won't matter then because then two shots kill you instead of one. Plus Toxin procs and Slash procs are a thing

It matters on the Warframe and Enemy Type.

For Example High Level Infested - can bypass shields easily and do direct health damage. Making Shields almost useless ( Keyword being almost ). 
High level grineer can cause bleeding proc - but shields are pretty effective against them inmost part.

Corpus is probably the best to have shields against - with the exception of Sapping Ospreys which can wreck you easily on high level missions.

As for Warframes - The warframe that benefits most from Shield is Frost - as his Orb gains health based on a percentage of max shield health. 
Trinity also makes great use of shields - especially in highjack missions and having Energy Vampire Augment.
Volt is also a great shield barer - whose abilities and augments benefit shields such as overcharge.
Rhino with Iron Skin makes great use of the extra boost to defense. 

Low Health warframes though you are better off using Vigor intaead- so you get shield + health. 

It generally comes down to your chosen Frames stats, and what they're good for. Frames with low hp but decent to great shields would benefit, while Frames with the reverse would not. Some Frames, like Valkyr, rely on armor instead, so you would spec into that. Now, you should also take into account what your Frame is for. 

Shields will always give less EHP than same amount of health because they aren't affected by armor. But it doesn't mean they are useless, unless we are talking about Infested or toxin elemental enhancement sorties.

Shields' main advantage is sentinel mod Guardian, which fully restores shields when they reach 0.

Formula for damage reduction is armor/(armor +300). I generally don't mod for survivability if frame has less than 100 base health and/or shields and I ignore armor on frames with 100 or more shields and armor lower than 100.

Most medium armor (150-300 is medium armor for me) frames benefit from shields to some extent because their EHP usually isn't impressive. Extra shields can give precious split second to finish casting. Still, health+armor should be prioritised if you want to mod for survivabilty.

High armor (300+) frames usually don't benefit from shields. Notable exception is Frost Prime with his massive 175 shields.

Edited by Slaviar