Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested Rhino Skin WIP (Sculpt + Alt Helmet Included)

Hello fellow creators!

I've made a sculpt of a infested rhino skin and rendered it (through substance painter). Looking for some advice and criticism on what i could change so its more infested in terms of style. And what I could do with the alt helmet.

Keep in mind I used a lot of themes off of Nidus, since he is the only infested frame, and I wanted Rhino to retain some hard bone and chitin plates (like a natural plated infested armor) so it would resemble some of his original design. Since the infested engulfs and warps materials. 

I know theres no tint mask yet so may be harder to see what i'm going for, but i do plan on following a similar way in which Nidus is colored, Primary being bone and chitin plates, Secondary being more gnarled chitin and flesh, Third being dark and inner flesh, and Fourth, being the large pink veins and areas that glow with a scrolling alpha mask.  However another idea would be more colorful using red and oranges as the veins, and and greens and blues for the rest?

In terms of color, should i go for more tans then white on the primary and secondary?

Here's a link to new sculpt model on Sketchfab

https://sketchfab.com/models/830f85564b00419980e2dcc18ab114ba

Old helmet low poly

Edited by Darealslenderman
New Helmet Sculpt

3 minutes ago, redeyedtreefrog said:

Nidus IS infested rhino. He looks the same, he's even got some similar abilities: a stomp ability, a roar(ravenous), his stacks(I find them to be something similar to iron skin)...

Nidus looks nothing like Rhino. Although the helmet for this Infested Rhino looks like it's based off of Nidus.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

6 hours ago, redeyedtreefrog said:

Nidus IS infested rhino. He looks the same, he's even got some similar abilities: a stomp ability, a roar(ravenous), his stacks(I find them to be something similar to iron skin)...

why are you comparing lord nidus to....eh rhino Q_Q

Thank you for the feedback!

Update:

I created a new low poly helmet, looks a bit more mutated, the sculpt is in progress, i will post it when it is complete! There's also some asymmetrical parts on it to follow the infested art theme. And i will add some asymmetrical details to the body sculpt too. 

Check out the new helmet here 

https://sketchfab.com/models/96c2c38296fd460da3e99135814f4312

I just thought of a name for your skin: Lucanus, it's a name of beetles family know for their impressive horns and tough armor. I think it suits infested rhinno theme quite well, it also sounds really nice (at least in my opinion)!

46 minutes ago, LogaMC1995 said:

It's like rejecting Graxx series skins because Grineer can't make Grineer patterned Warframes. It's TennoGen, no lore complications.

We already have infested mirage skin so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be acceptable to make other infested skins 

2 hours ago, LogaMC1995 said:

It's like rejecting Graxx series skins because Grineer can't make Grineer patterned Warframes. It's TennoGen, no lore complications.

To quote Cap. Vor from his boss fights, "You will join us, one way or another." The Grineer wouldn't have made the Graxx frames, they would have commandeered normal frames and taken control of them by means of the Ascaris device. Try again.

6 hours ago, Bravely_Casual said:

To quote Cap. Vor from his boss fights, "You will join us, one way or another." The Grineer wouldn't have made the Graxx frames, they would have commandeered normal frames and taken control of them by means of the Ascaris device. Try again.

The devs themselves said TennoGen are not related to in game lore. Try again.

Edited by LogaMC1995

12 hours ago, Bravely_Casual said:

No. No we do not. Try again.

If that isn't infested to you, I don't know what is. I'm not saying it's canon, I'm just saying that tennogen stuff doesn't have to be lore friendly 

Edited by Jochcio

1 hour ago, Jochcio said:

If that isn't infested to you, I don't know what is. I'm not saying it's canon, I'm just saying that tennogen stuff doesn't have to be lore friendly 

No, it's not infested at all.

It look irregular like infestation but it's not infestation.

Infested skins are fine thematically, but the style is deceptively difficult. Try to use the lumpy lowpoly geometry to your advantage and add infested details that stick out in the same areas the default lowpoly mesh sticks out. Use as much asymmetry in the model as possible (IE the chest and back, maybe even the helmet if you feel adventurous). 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the detailed feedback. 

Update:

-I've sculpted a new asymmetrical helmet and added some what materials for testing reasons 

-In addition too i've done a few changes to the body including some more asymmetrical details.

-Keep in mind of course still WIP, i will add more drastic asymmetrical details to the body and some changes to the arms details. 

Here's the link to new changes

https://sketchfab.com/models/830f85564b00419980e2dcc18ab114ba

Not sure if its the best helmet, tell me what you think, the old low poly i had planned had so many rendering issues, but i could potentially remake something similar. Currently at the moment  I am still experimenting with sculpts to see what fits best. I don't want to final content lacking on the infested theme nor details :)