Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Syndicate Death Squad/Companion addition- the Adversary

Serinexxa

So, I recently came up with a little idea on how to both rework Syndicate death squads and diversify ground companions.

The "Adversary", Your very own sidekick! Or your own personal nightmare...

We're out of weapon types and I feel this is a reasonable next step in their arsenal.

Essentially, Allies would be themed "pets" more or less, able to follow the player like a specter, hostage, or operative. Unlike pets they would not require DNA stabilizers, but instead that you are upstanding in their syndicate. Giving them a syndicate medallion would boost their morale. These units could be coloured to suit the player's taste in the same matter as frames and weapons, and would replace the current death squads. Since they are intended to be balanced, Meridian's attack should be just as dangerous as Loka's.

Here's the rough ideas for the current Ally/Adversary units;

Perrin Sequence: Secura Fusion Moa (Balance)

My first idea for a "dream companion" a while back was a Moa in the energy lab, but I've contemplated something more useful. The Secura Fusion Moa would be a tactical unit that could use it's primary beam to weaken it's target, gradually lowering armor at the cost of it's low damage. This would mean if your Moa pins down a heavy unit, take the oppertunity and finish it off while it is weakened. It's secondary attack would involve laying mines in a similar manner to a Mine Osprey, very slowly making the landscape a hazard for your enemy and being it's primary direct damage output. When downed, the Osprey "backpack" will be released, providing shields to it's master so it may be revived. When it gets up, the Osprey re-connects. If the downed Moa "dies" the Osprey would enter "Oxium Osprey Kamikaze Mode" and become a vicious but short lived glass cannon. Corpus security systems will not immediately recognize it as an enemy.

When in a death squad, four Moas would be deployed, and their Ospreys would immediately enter attack mode upon release.

Cephalon Suda: Hunter Fragment (Attack)

A semi-sentient Cephalon Fragment that was once possibly a part of Suda. This unit is unique in that it can hover but keep it's distance from the player, but provide long distance support. It would be an amorphous and geometric mass of physical data, in a similar matter to the inanimate Cephalon Fragments and Datums, possibly with three "Limbs" in the style of the Gammacor. It's special abilities aside from hovering would be a quick and erratic movement alongside long-range beams, what it lacks in defense it makes up for in evasion. The fragment will dart about, seeking the highest threat target to attempt to headshot with it's beam. If your Hunter Fragment discovers a synthesis target, it will deploy a kinetic siphon with Suda's aesthetic. If close to death, it will start to cower and teleport about to avoid damage. If it dies mid-air, it will crumble to dust and drift to the nearest solid ground to be revived. Side effects may include Ordis being slightly jealous of your new companion getting all the attention.

It's death squad would consist of four Fragments, while defensibly weak their attack power would be dangerous to ignore. Best to take them out quick with your best AoE!

Red Veil: Rakta Shogun (Defense)

This hulking armored monstrosity is an Ancient Disruptor cut from the hivemind and tamed by the Veil to be clad in samurai-style armour plating. It's "extending" limb holds a big and brutal metal claw. It's rather slow in both body and mind, but more than happy to take a beating in your name. The Shogun is more of a tank even though it lacks shields, it's high armour is coupled with pinning down your enemies and leeching their health to replenish it's own. If attacked a little too much, the Shogun will violently lash out it's extending claw in a large clockwise rotation, knocking down the opponents and giving you a window to attack. If your health drops too low, your Shogun will become enraged, jumping to your side and re-directing enemy attention to it instead. When your Shogun is near you, you will gain a passive defense bonus.

The death squad consists of only three Shoguns, they're tougher than an Eximus and "New Loka 2.0" would not be pretty. Those auras...

Steel Meridian: Meridian Elite Lancer (Balance)

This former Grineer soldier vows to fight at your side, so long as you stand with them. No shields but high armor, this strategic Lancer would use a Vakor Hek at medium range, Vakor Marelok at long range, and the Vakor Sydon at close range, making it an quite adaptable ally. The Lancer can deploy Latchers to seek out your opponents, scaling with the target it attaches to, and Roller Sentries to seek out your foes. The Lancer's deployed blunts would provide a slight defense bonus to any ally to duck behind it. Capable of rigging Grineer traps to turn against them, you'll make them rue the day they invented the pesky Arc Trap. They are also capable of manning Ramparts, and increasing their damage when used by them.

The death squad consists of four Lancers, along with four Roller Sentries.

New Loka: Sancti Watchman (Attack)

This silent cloaked hunter wears a thick cloak that hides their identity, though Watchmen resemble normal Loka operatives underneath. They prefer to hide from plain sight, crouching in the distance and picking off their targets one by one until there are none left to oppose them. They have a nasty habit of baiting their foes with Threshcones covered in their own Sancti Castanas, but nobody told the Grineer shooting it was a bad idea. If spotted, the Watchman will cloak itself and dart to a new location, ready to resume their arrow-hurling competition as soon as the hostiles let their guard down. If the enemy gets too close, the Watchman will throw out a ring of these dastardly "Threshcone Grenades", pull out a Sancti Tigris, and get the heck out of there. If no "Sniper sweet spots" exist in the area, the Watchman will deploy a ring that cloaks itself and allies that stand within. They will eagerly alert you of samples of nearby plant species. The Watchman isn't super confident in it's abilities, and will not enter spy vaults unless you get pushy.

Squads consist of four Watchmen, who will peskily attempt to pick off the one who didn't want to join their cult syndicate. They are physically weak, but will be a constant and stealthy threat until you can eliminate all of them.

Arbiters of Hexis: Telos Warden (Defense)

The Warden, a towering "cyber knight" who either carries the trusty Telos Boltor, or Galantine. A tank alternative to the Shogun, who has the shields it does not, but also lacks it's life steal. The Warden's shield pool would replenish much faster than other companion types, but would inherit the Shogun's plauge of slow movement. While seemingly not the most formidable opponent on it's own it can take a beating and shrug it off. The slow and steady paladin will do it's best to defend hostages and cryopods alike, trying a little too hard to deflect incoming fire for "knightly reasons". Unlike other allies, the Warden has a little bit of Tenno tech up it's sleeve and can revive your friends faster than you can shout "Deus Vult!"

Like the Shogun, again, it's death squad consists of only three due to their defensive nature. It won't be able to revive it's comrades this time though... It's just that mad at you.

If you have further ideas, constructive criticism, general feedback or whatever feel free to leave them. I want these units to be useful but not overpowered, and I do not want one to overshadow the other. I've sort of wanted my own Moa since I joined the game, to reverse engineer it and keep it aboard my ship. It felt a little selfish, so I concepted a few more for the other syndicates that might better fit the desires of a diverse playerbase. Thank you for surviving my wall of text!

Edited by Serinexxa
Whoops, error

Very cool.

Was thinking maybe they'd have a different unit at each Rank,
and you'd be able to get a specter of them at that rank.
But if you're an enemy of the group they'd send a mix of them after you

Like,
at rank -1,
thay'd send,
5 rank 1 guys.
4 rank 2 guys,
3 rank 3 guys,
2 rank 4 guy,
and 1 Rank 5 guy,

At rank -2 thay'd send,
6 rank 1 guys
5 rank 2 guys.
4 rank 3 guys,
3 rank 4 guys,
2 rank 5 guy,
and 1 Rank 6 guy.

The rank 6 guy would be named, and have their very own unique weapon you can farm parts from.
They each have their own special double effect mod that they can drop.
The ones with melee weapons could drop their stance.
As well as something special and unique other than a weapon,
like one would have a sentinel, which would drop parts for it.
one would have a genetically modified Kubrow, which could drop imprints for it.
One would drop blueprints to a placeable trap, gear item.

The possibilities are endless.