Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Endgame things to do

Eidolon_Slayer

Instead of running and gunning, could we have activities or things we can invest in? Like mass-scale faction wars between syndicates wtih grineer, corpus, and corrupted mixed in. Or investing in a robotic/normal/infested strike team that we could create, customize, and send out to missions (or bring them with us). 

Getting somewhat bored already with the grinding and shooting.

Edited by RetiredEdgeLord

3 minutes ago, Heckzu said:

How would those be endgame things?

Compared to what we have, mass-scaled faction wars are something worth investing in for whatever greater cause [decisions on which relays that are built/destroyed, faction influence affecting normal missions (something new yet to be posted), NPC factions on planets (i.e Corpus on Earth), etc.]. Strike teams would be a tankier yet more useful companion that could be brought in (thinking about adjustable AI behavior).

So you want more EVE onlineish, data driven things to do?  It wouldn't be a bad addition, if kept completely optional.  Maybe I'm rare but I think for WF the true endgame will be more RPG than shooter.  And your idea fits into that, people could become actual warlords or money men more so than now. 

2 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Compared to what we have, mass-scaled faction wars are something worth investing in for whatever greater cause [decisions on which relays that are built/destroyed, faction influence affecting normal missions (something new yet to be posted), NPC factions on planets (i.e Corpus on Earth), etc.]. Strike teams would be a tankier yet more useful companion that could be brought in (thinking about adjustable AI behavior).

It seems like you're describing Invasions... There is a mass scale faction war, it's just currently in the background. Ever notice how the Corpus and Grineer are always fighting each other? It's because they're at war. Notice how the more invasions we do, the faster the Razorback or the Fomorian gets built? That's the "world threat" that each faction have created. Razorback is a nearly invincible threat and the Fomorian was built to destroy Relays. Hell, we even have the option to team up with one faction to fight the opposing faction that normally have no business being in a certain part of the star chart.

11 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ATLongshot said:

So you want more EVE onlineish, data driven things to do?  It wouldn't be a bad addition, if kept completely optional.  Maybe I'm rare but I think for WF the true endgame will be more RPG than shooter.  And your idea fits into that, people could become actual warlords or money men more so than now. 

Yeah. In order to lengthen player retention, Warframe needs to be more than a grindy shooter. Instead of combat, I was thinking more about how players/factions could conquer parts of the game, not just certain missions [Dark Sector]. 

9 minutes ago, Xionyde134 said:

It seems like you're describing Invasions... There is a mass scale faction war, it's just currently in the background. Ever notice how the Corpus and Grineer are always fighting each other? It's because they're at war. Notice how the more invasions we do, the faster the Razorback or the Fomorian gets built? That's the "world threat" that each faction have created. Razorback is a nearly invincible threat and the Fomorian was built to destroy Relays. Hell, we even have the option to team up with one faction to fight the opposing faction that normally have no business being in a certain part of the star chart.

The invasions don't feel large-scale at all, and they don't include syndicates, corrupted, and clans. When invasions are won, we don't even see anything as significant as factions appearing where they shouldn't or even Clans/or Players controlling planets. Razorbacks and Fomorian are grand, but saving/destroying relays feels tiny, simply because we aren't constantly under their threat (they should always have Razorbacks and Fomorians threatening our relays, and consequences to our combat game-play (i.e. certain missions locked because our Liset can't safely land us there, or have a chance our Liset could be shot down - prompting a quest to repair our shuttle to escape). Syndicates are simply micro-wars, where the only methods of fighting enemy syndicates are defeating assassination attempts. There's no significant WAR that's noticeable during our gameplay between Syndicates fighting each other and the Grineer, Corpus, Corrupted, Infested, and Sentients.

39 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

mass-scaled faction wars are something worth investing in for whatever greater cause [decisions on which relays that are built/destroyed

22 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Razorbacks and Fomorian are grand, but saving/destroying relays feels tiny, simply because we aren't constantly under their threat (they should always have Razorbacks and Fomorians threatening our relays,

We actually do have a decision on which relays get destroyed. If we, as the entire community, don't fight the Fomorians, then the relay will get destroyed. In a recent Devstream, Sheldon mentioned giving us the ability to donate our extra resources towards the rebuilding of certain relays. Also, we can't always have a Fomorian threatening our relays because sooner or later, no one would bother destroying it and all of our relays would eventually get destroyed. 

22 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

There's no significant WAR that's noticeable during our gameplay between Syndicates fighting each other and the Grineer, Corpus, Corrupted, Infested, and Sentients.

You're right, the syndicate wars aren't noticeable, but that's because they're not the most important things to us as Tenno. However, DE is currently improving on the Syndicates with their quests. We have quests for Loka, Perrin, and Suda (and an upcoming RV) that show us fighting other factions. Hell, even the Meridian quest gave us a glimpse at the inner turmoil within the Grineer faction.

I'm not trying to say that everything you're saying is wrong. In fact, I do agree, to an extent, on having certain missions locked because of the danger, but there are dangers to that. With how the star chart is currently and how it's sort of like a road map, if you lock down one single node, you risk completely stopping a player's progression through the game.

EDIT: Reading through it again, I sound quite condescending. That was not my intention and I apologize.

Edited by Xionyde134

12 minutes ago, Xionyde134 said:

We actually do have a decision on which relays get destroyed. If we, as the entire community, don't fight the Fomorians, then the relay will get destroyed. In a recent Devstream, Sheldon mentioned giving us the ability to donate our extra resources towards the rebuilding of certain relays. Also, we can't always have a Fomorian threatening our relays because sooner or later, no one would bother destroying it and all of our relays would eventually get destroyed.

Rather than the entire community, I'm thinking of R&D features, super-weapons, strike teams, that lets multiple large clans [perhaps a combined population of 1000+] single handedly defend a relay, rather than rely on individual Tenno. We can afford to have Formorian/Razorbacks constantly threatening our relays the previous ideas mentioned. Those features cost resources, and would be an excellent sink and incentive to grind for more resources. Clans responsible for successfully defending relays would be given permissions to modify certain features of relays [set trade taxes, limit MR ranks, lock certain players out, decorate the relay, etc.] Unfortunately, other clans would want these permissions, thus they'd be at war with other clans, so relays would constantly be under attack by Players (Clans), Razorbacks, Fomorians, and potentially sentient & infested warships.

You're right, the syndicate wars aren't noticeable, but that's because they're not the most important things to us as Tenno. However, DE is currently improving on the Syndicates with their quests. We have quests for Loka, Perrin, and Suda (and an upcoming RV) that show us fighting other factions. Hell, even the Meridian quest gave us a glimpse at the inner turmoil within the Grineer faction.

Syndicates fighting another Syndicate is micro-war. I'd like to see a macro-war between Syndicates, Corpus, Grineer, Infested, and Corrupted. Benefits and consequences of the macro-war as well. 

I'm not trying to say that everything you're saying is wrong. In fact, I do agree, to an extent, on having certain missions locked because of the danger, but there are dangers to that. With how the star chart is currently and how it's sort of like a road map, if you lock down one single node, you risk completely stopping a player's progression through the game.

EDIT: Reading through it again, I sound quite condescending. That was not my intention and I apologize.

Missions being locked is only one idea that was posted without regards to the current map system (we'll have a new map eventually)

21 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

The invasions don't feel large-scale at all

Modern wars aren't fought on a large scale confrontation like the World Wars were.

26 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

When invasions are won, we don't even see anything as significant as factions appearing where they shouldn't

If a faction successfully invades, they control the node for a set amount of time, which leads to scenarios such as Grineer galleons full of Corpus.

28 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Clans/or Players controlling planets.

The Tenno are limited in number. How do you expect them to control a planet?

29 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Razorbacks and Fomorian are grand, but saving/destroying relays feels tiny, simply because we aren't constantly under their threat (they should always have Razorbacks and Fomorians threatening our relays, and consequences to our combat game-play (i.e. certain missions locked because our Liset can't safely land us there, or have a chance our Liset could be shot down - prompting a quest to repair our shuttle to escape).

So, you want Baro Ki'teer to stop coming altogether because it's too dangerous, or because he would actually get killed trying to get to the Relays?

33 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Syndicates are simply micro-wars, where the only methods of fighting enemy syndicates are defeating assassination attempts.

That's what small groups do during war: guerrilla warfare and asymmetric warfare. Do you think a faction can win by charging head on against a group that severely outnumbered them?

37 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

There's no significant WAR that's noticeable during our gameplay between Syndicates fighting each other and the Grineer, Corpus, Corrupted, Infested, and Sentients.

Because the Tenno aren't directly involved, and number too few to directly participate in a large scale battle without being completely annihilated.

8 minutes ago, Heckzu said:

Modern wars aren't fought on a large scale confrontation like the World Wars were.

If a faction successfully invades, they control the node for a set amount of time, which leads to scenarios such as Grineer galleons full of Corpus.

The Tenno are limited in number. How do you expect them to control a planet?

So, you want Baro Ki'teer to stop coming altogether because it's too dangerous, or because he would actually get killed trying to get to the Relays?

That's what small groups do during war: guerrilla warfare and asymmetric warfare. Do you think a faction can win by charging head on against a group that severely outnumbered them?

Because the Tenno aren't directly involved, and number too few to directly participate in a large scale battle without being completely annihilated.

This is a fantasy war. The Tenno are countless [lore & actual gameplay don't correlate in this case], and controlling a planet would require cooperation between multiple clans. What do you think controlling a planet means? I certainly don't mean that it's entirely conquering a planet. Think of a larger and complicated Dark Sector with many more features.

Baro Ki'Teer would still come anyways. He's in no danger since he can't be harmed [he magically appears into the relay].

Fantasy =/= Reality, in my defense I could argue that it's where tactics and superior technology defeats larger numbers.

6 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

This is a fantasy war.

That's not a reason to throw all coherence and integrity away and introducing endless plot holes. 

9 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Baro Ki'Teer would still come anyways. He's in no danger since he can't be harmed [he magically appears into the relay].

Keep your headcanon in the Fan Zone where it belongs.

"Endgame things to do" - tell people how it was back in the day :P

"Back in my day, we had to go pick up purple orbs to get blueprints, now you young whippersnapper's get them automatically at the end of the mission"

Being serious though, the clan ship idea that Steve has (you can see his concept idea for it on his Sunday Streams) might be something cool for end-game players to do, his idea is for us to be "space pirates" and go attack enemy ships, damage them, board them etc.

3 minutes ago, Heckzu said:

That's not a reason to throw all coherence and integrity away and introducing endless plot holes. 

Nor is trying to relate 2017's war behavior to something thousands of years into the future in a fantasy video game.

3 minutes ago, NovusNova said:

"Endgame things to do" - tell people how it was back in the day :P

"Back in my day, we had to go pick up purple orbs to get blueprints, now you young whippersnapper's get them automatically at the end of the mission"

Being serious though, the clan ship idea that Steve has (you can see his concept idea for it on his Sunday Streams) might be something cool for end-game players to do, his idea is for us to be "space pirates" and go attack enemy ships, damage them, board them etc.

That would a nice. But I doubt we'd see that within this year. WF needs to be more than just grinding and shooting to compete with other MMO's in the future.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

You could always try to fill in the codex. Every mod, every scan.

I could, but doing so seems more like a player-created endgame activity that's present in all games [collecting every item-ingame]. We need something that the developers gave us instead of making challenges [100% codex completion] for ourselves. 

3 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

I could, but doing so seems more like a player-created endgame activity that's present in all games [collecting every item-ingame]. We need something that the developers gave us instead of making challenges [100% codex completion] for ourselves. 

A bounty board would be nice. Various games have them and it's a wonder why Warframe doesn't.