Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon Revisited: Prime Time Surprise and Next Steps!

[DE]Megan

5 hours ago, IceColdHawk said:

Err... Why would you....

...yeah good idea.

Allies. 5 AM while my eye hurt like a little... Hyekka, don't ask much from me :P

12 minutes ago, Naith said:

Yet that still doesn't mean it can't be flowers either or something to that degree.

Purifying flames or something as nightmare said? Maybe, but I agree that vegetation would be a nice addition and show off some of the work from the new remaster.

It still would not make much sense.

Oberon is some sort of purifying Paladin that is thematically linked to Earth (thus why DE said he had some druidy stuff going on), but he's supposed to be based on a white stag that appears on the Arturian legend as well as a knight (you can totally see that one by his distribution. He has armor pieces, he has helmet looking helms, he has the general outline of a knight).

Spoiler

cnjedFNl.jpg

The "roots" design wise are there because he was intertwined to Earth (he released on 11.5 alongside the new tileset, let us not forget), but he's always been advertised as a Paladin that is all about, how to encapsule it, duty?

Equally adept at healing friends or striking down the enemy, Oberon embodies the balance Tenno are sworn to uphold.

That's why I say they shouldn't add the vegetation thing there. He's all about purifying fire (that's how Hallowed Ground is right now), justice -- the Orokin's law enforcer.

Ever since they changed Vay Hek to contain Hydroid and he was gone from Earth though... Man, DE should totally recheck that.

Edited by NightmareT12

28 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

Allies. 5 AM while my eye hurt like a little... Hyekka, don't ask much from me :P

Oberon is some sort of purifying Paladin that is thematically linked to Earth (thus why DE said he had some druidy stuff going on), but he's supposed to be based on a white stag that appears on the Arturian legend as well as a knight (you can totally see that one by his distribution. He has armor pieces, he has helmet looking helms, he has the general outline of a knight).

Reveal hidden contents

cnjedFNl.jpg

The "roots" design wise are there because he was intertwined to Earth (he released on 11.5 alongside the new tileset, let us not forget), but he's always been advertised as a Paladin that is all about, how to encapsule it, duty?

That's why I say they shouldn't add the vegetation thing there. He's all about purifying fire (that's how Hallowed Ground is right now), justice -- the Orokin's law enforcer.

Ever since they changed Vay Hek to contain Hydroid and he was gone from Earth though... Man, DE should totally recheck that.

Thankyou!  I'm really hoping that DE takes the knight-paladin and white stag motifs to the next level on his prime design.  People have been blinded by the feyarch skin and his dumb passive into thinking we've got a freakin Cenarius in Warframe.  But, the paladin concept is really where it's at and where DE should be aiming with this rework.

58 minutes ago, TheDefenestrater said:

The prime time demo had a roughly 210 degree arc for HG with only 145% range.  That means the base arc was about 145 degrees.  Max out your range and you'll have a full circle with a HUGE radius.

I see, that's nice. I should check the gameplay when I get back home, thx

1 hour ago, NightmareT12 said:

Reveal hidden contents

cnjedFNl.jpg

Funnily enough it would, simply due to the point(s) you yourself have raised.

Irrespective of what his description is or what part of his role is as a Paladin.

There's clearly still ties to Earth and nature, as such, again it would make some sense opposed to 'little'. 

Edit: However, on the flipside as a matter of balance, they could just add the Hallowed Ground as a feature when using the Feyarch deluxe instead. I just think that ever since someone has mentioned the visuals with HG it's reminded me of how I've always felt that the visuals for that ability and Smite were sort of lacking. I'd certainly never seen the HG effect as flames at all. It also looks slightly dated/opaque. So maybe it just needs to be improved upon.

I'd also say the same for Ember/fire effects too, some appear rather pixelated and/or poor in quality now.

Edited by Naith

I still don't know why you insist on giving Oberon a passive connected to pets. Yes, it is a lot better than the previous one, but useless for people who don't run with pets but rather with sentinels. Why not give him something connected to radiation procs? Like leaving a radiation cloud after bullet jump? Or alternatively something connected to his healing, like for example having a shield when reviving. I bet there are plenty of ideas better than pet buffs.

12 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

The most prominent feedback:

• Renewal expires before the duration is up.

With this largely suggested feedback in mind, the team has made further tweaks to Oberon’s Renewal. As of right now, Oberon’s Renewal rework now also includes:

• Renewal doesn’t stop healing when the target ally is at full Health. It will continue to heal as long as it is active.

Good.  This was one of the big things that hurt Renewal's effectiveness.

Smite: 

• Damage from projectiles emitted from the enemy scales based on enemy level.

Using level for this feels a bit odd, but scaling damage is very nice.

Hallowed Ground: 

• Hallowed Ground is now more of an 'arc' shape (Range Mods create a wider/longer arc).
  • Added a Status Chance that is affected by Strength Mods.
  • Adjusted damage and ranges.

Not sure on arc vs line.  I'll agree with others that having it be a circle centered on Oberon feels more fitting.

I don't know if adding a 3rd source of radiation procs (I assume that's the status being referred to?) to Oberon's kit is really useful.  As fun as causing Rad procs is, once you get a decent chunk of your enemies confused, there's limited benefit to having more of them.  One idea that comes to mind as a potentially interesting alternative to more rad procs is to have Hallowed Ground store the status effects it removes and prevents for allies, and inflict those on enemies.  (Will, obviously, need some care with balancing).

Renewal:

• Increased casting animation speed.
  • Changed to an expanding wave of healing instead of a projectile. 
  • Energy drain starts once wave hits allies, not leading up to it.
  • Allies on Hallowed Ground get an Armor buff for the entire heal process. Once heal is finished the Armor buff is on a timer (affected by Duration).

Not sure what, if anything, the change from projectiles to a wave will do, or if it's just visual.  The change from draining before hitting allies to after seems reasonable.  How does the armor buff from this interact with the armor buff from being on Hallowed Ground?  Also, is this keeping the inverse duration thing?

Reckoning:

• Enemies with a Radiation Status Chance will now take bonus damage from Reckoning.
  • Enemies standing on Hallowed Ground will receive Armor debuffs (affected by Strength).

I like making this play off of Oberon's other abilities.  However, depending on the area of Hallowed Ground, and the strength of the armor debuff, I'm not sure it's going to do enough. (Ash, Frost, and Banshee can all completely remove armor with a single cast, possibly other frames as well).  Though, most people seem to have the least problem with this ability as it currently stands, so it probably doesn't need as much.

14 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

We asked for your feedback and you delivered!

After compiling and discussing the prominent feedback, it was clear that our proposed Renewal rework was not enough to bring Oberon fresh justice.

The most prominent feedback:

• Renewal expires before the duration is up.

With this largely suggested feedback in mind, the team has made further tweaks to Oberon’s Renewal. As of right now, Oberon’s Renewal rework now also includes:

• Renewal doesn’t stop healing when the target ally is at full Health. It will continue to heal as long as it is active.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Thank you!!

Along with the flat armour buffs/percentage debuffs, the Hallowed Ground Aura effect, and Hallowed Ground being a full circle around Oberon, I think that Smite should also be an AoE attack with the splash damage being based on the initial target damage, and that perhaps his Passive should be that enemies with Radiation Procs won't attack him.

14 hours ago, Naizuri said:

What does Rad procs have to do with paladins...

Paladins tend to work with Holy Light, Radiation is connected to Light, Holy Light tends to cleanse/purify things, Radiation can also do this.

9 hours ago, Trickst3rGawd said:

SOMEONE SPITBALL IDEAS FOR BUFFS TO RECKONING BEFORE DIS IS OVER BECAUSE IT NEEDS SOMETHING TO MAKE IT FEEL LIKE A REAL ULTIMATE NOT UNDERPOWERED THANK YOU ALL

Enemies hit by reckoning have their capslock disabled permanently.

Tap and hold mechanics for hallowed ground please.

Tap: as it is now

Hold: convert into a long lasting personal aura

Turn the current exploding hallowed ground into the base ability and allow its damage to scale with duration - more duration gives more damage.

Give hallowed ground a new augment please

Love the smite change.

I feel like hallowed ground would be more useful if it had some defensive utility aside from the armor buff. Why not make it a sortve area denial ability, with a chance at fearing enemies that come inside? It'd fit with the paladin theme, as a Turn Evil/Undead ability. Definitely would like to change hallowed ground to a radial ability, instead of a cone. 

If the inverse scaling on renewal was fixed, I'll love this ability now.

I still feel like reckoning is just lacking... something. It never felt like it fit with the rest of the kit for me, though it did feel awesome pancaking enemies to the ground. Not sure what to do with it.

Considering how long Limbo's Cataclysm scaling got to stay, I doubt Oberon's Smite will either scale well or stay that way long if it initially launches so. I think one of the biggest criticisms of Hallowed Ground, outside its low damage, not currently being able to status, low armor bonus, and radiation damage, is the fact that while it is effected by range currently, its a stationary and thin strip of radiation damage. that in a game with most players running around like headless chickens or bouncing around like Daedalus enhanced monkey acrobats is not effective. Making Hallowed Ground a radial aura like effect similar to Elemental Ward but with more range has been suggested before as this would allow a more mobile enhancement and would work well into both Oberon's Paladin theme and the proposed reworks.

I must reiterate the question posted earlier about whether or not Reckoning will keep its current secondary effects in addition to its proposed rework buffs; particularly radiation status as the move has proposed to be changed to care about whether the effected enemy is irradiated or not. This proposed rework seems to have a heavy focus on duration and taking away from range's value. Will Reckoning and co that retain their normal range boosts be keeping their normal low range values or be buffed a little more like the last rework where Oberon got his armor boosted to 150 and Reckoning boosted from 8 meters?

honestly not impressed by this DE. Yes, you've acknowledged player feedback on this but this is probably the Most obvious and asked for change to Oberon and should have been included in the first draft. 

This is Very much still a WIP revisit. Other issues still exist with renewal that have been stated multiple times in this thread, the suggested passive is also utter trash. 

The changes to smite, reckoning and hallowed ground are all good - but we still need questions answered pertaining to each. 

The changes to Oberon's kit look very good so far, but I'm really concerned about Renewal's "infinite range" being yanked in favor of an expanding wave. This will effectively remove Oberon's ability to extend bleedout and heal any and all players, regardless of where they are on the map. Granted, the ability to continue regenerating health even if the target's health is completely restored is much appreciated - as is the change to when energy is actually consumed - but yanking infinite range is a massive nerf.

Also, is there any talk about buffing Oberon's base stats? Being a Paladin and all, I feel he could benefit from an armor buff to say 225.

2 hours ago, El_Chino said:

Would be cool if hallowed ground was a circular area following the player, and maybe leaving a trail of itself that last for a certain time.

No it wouldn't be cool, because that would completely remove Oberon's ability to turn choke points into DOT / kill zones by laying strategically-placed carpets - a feature that at least some of us Oberon players find rather useful. It's not just a status-removal / armour buff zone for friendlies you know.