Oberon Revisited: Prime Time Surprise and Next Steps!

The changes to Oberon's kit look very good so far, but I'm really concerned about Renewal's "infinite range" being yanked in favor of an expanding wave. This will effectively remove Oberon's ability to extend bleedout and heal any and all players, regardless of where they are on the map. Granted, the ability to continue regenerating health even if the target's health is completely restored is much appreciated - as is the change to when energy is actually consumed - but yanking infinite range is a massive nerf.

Also, is there any talk about buffing Oberon's base stats? Being a Paladin and all, I feel he could benefit from an armor buff to say 225.

2 hours ago, El_Chino said:

Would be cool if hallowed ground was a circular area following the player, and maybe leaving a trail of itself that last for a certain time.

No it wouldn't be cool, because that would completely remove Oberon's ability to turn choke points into DOT / kill zones by laying strategically-placed carpets - a feature that at least some of us Oberon players find rather useful. It's not just a status-removal / armour buff zone for friendlies you know.

56 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

No it wouldn't be cool, because that would completely remove Oberon's ability to turn choke points into DOT / kill zones by laying strategically-placed carpets - a feature that at least some of us Oberon players find rather useful. It's not just a status-removal / armour buff zone for friendlies you know.

dude almost noone finds that useful. Because if it's a choke point in most cases or basically all cases there's a frame that can easily do that job better. All I am saying is it sounds like you're scared of change of your warframe which is okay. But statistically and from experience the whole choke point argument is completely invalid. Also a 20% damage reduction at high content still = one shot so lets try and figure out something that works more appropriately for his game play or future game play. 

Lets all think outside of the box for idea's but also realize this frames lore and take it into account. For one I would DIE to see his hallowed ground get a visual update that is very fairy esque with stuff that grows out of the ground like forest esque stuff? maybe slowing the enemies down at a set rate while still giving them a radiation proc of some sort.

His renew just needs to be reworked in general because HOTS (heal over times) are a very very specific niche in healing in which in any game they usually aren't the main healers unless scaled properly to fit situations as a whole. This game is all about movement. Maybe a healing Aura for a certain amount of area/range where it emits out from him?  ORRRRR here's an idea?

When you use renewal while in hallowed ground you gain a bonus to heal over time while in hallowed ground. Oberon smashes his staff into the ground tethering himself to his hallowed ground emitting "pulses" of healing waves over a decent range Anyone outside that aura gets healed for less. That way you get the paladin bulwark rough defender while keeping his healing a synergy.

He needs better armor if he's gonna be a paladin esque frame though.

Edited by OxideNation

I love what is to come for Deerframe-I mean Oberon! Though, as most others, I would like to say what else I would like to see:

1. I would really like to see more health orbs popping up from him, perhaps something like 50% chance, unaffected by mods, for every enemy hit by Oberon's 1st or 4th ability to drop a health orb would be lovely. Perhaps even 25% chance would be ok if you do feel like the 50% would cause balancing issues.

2. I would love to see that Renewal wave be faster than Nova's or Mag's, and at the same time, if I am not asking for too much, to have quite a decent range on it, at least bigger than Trinity's.

3. This third thing isn't really an idea of mine, but more of a plug. I would really love if you, the developers, would check out Brozime's video (On Youtube) if you didn't already, he has some great suggestions on there.

Other that these things, I am already melting for our dear deer! Can't wait to see it! I trust ya'll that you'll do a good job!

DE, thank you for listening! This latest change you are adding to the Renewal rework is that final piece in the puzzle, it was one of the most important things Oberon was missing, and the most important thing Renewal was missing, for a long time. The rework looks amazing! With this final change to Renewal, I think Oberon is going to see a lot more play, and is going to be much better at fulfilling his support/hybrid role. I am really looking forward to playing the new Oberon! He sounds way cool. 

As others have said, the only other thing I could possibly suggest is to make it easier for him to make health orbs appear. Right now it is only when Reckoning gets kills, and then it is only a possibility. Perhaps some way he could make health orbs appear by getting assists with certain abilities, or enemies he irradiates with his abilities, or something similar? 

Edited by Tesseract7777

The changes look nice, but I fear they won't really change Oberon from his current status in game... a subpar support.  He needs something that makes him stand out. 

I always wanted Reckoning to synergize with hallowed ground by slamming all enemies he picks up down onto his carpet.  This would make him a much better support and control frame, give HG some bigger damage potential, and make him more than a garbage heal bot. 

Changes are always nice, but none of the new changes look like they fix his problems. 

The changes look nice, but I fear they won't really change Oberon from his current status in game... a subpar support.  He needs something that makes him stand out. 

I always wanted Reckoning to synergize with hallowed ground by slamming all enemies he picks up down onto his carpet.  This would make him a much better support and control frame, give HG some bigger damage potential, and make him more than a garbage heal bot. 

Changes are always nice, but none of the new changes look like they fix his problems. 

3 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

move into the chokepoint ... cast hallowed ground ... walk away ... profit? With enough range it wouldn't matter if it was a circle or a rectangle.

Considering how Hallowed Ground and ability synergy will be core to this rework, I hope there will be adjustments to Oberon's stats to reflect his need for casting multiple instances and ability combos, as well as some way to regain energy.

For example:

• Power stat is increased from 150 to 225.
  • Enemies killed by Smite projectiles grant Oberon 5 energy each (complementing the new scaling damage).
  • Reckoning also has a chance to spawn Energy Orbs.

Oh thanks a lot. I do use Oberón quite a bit so I am happy to see this small rework. I believe it will be much stronger and cooler, I love the modifications to Renewal and the Reckoning spam will be cooler now, that's amazing! Thanks! 

2 hours ago, main_antagonist said:

move into the chokepoint ... cast hallowed ground ... walk away ... profit? With enough range it wouldn't matter if it was a circle or a rectangle.

Except that at present I can lay down multiple carpets in different areas quite distant from each other and walk away. I can cover multiple entrances and routes into a given area. With a single HG centered around Oberon...players won't be able to do that anymore.

Congrats. You're supporting a change that would actually REDUCE the effectiveness and usefulness of an ability.

4 hours ago, OxideNation said:

dude almost noone finds that useful.

You mean all the people you know, right? I find it useful and there are fans of Oberon that find that feature useful as well. That's a fact. What you said is merely your biased opinion.

Yes it's a fact that HG currently doesn't scale well and that its armor buff doesn't help low armour Frames all that much. I'm very much in favor of having that fixed. I also like the fact that HG will be covering a much larger area by the looks of it -making each HG set down more efficient - and that its fx are changing to something less cheesy.

All I am saying is it sounds like you're scared of change of your warframe which is okay

That's awfully presumptuous and condescending. I'm in favor of changes that make sense, that benefit players, not changes that would rob an ability or Frame of its effectiveness and uniqueness. You know what? Limbo is one of my fave Frames...and I thought the changes they made to him recently were MOST welcome.

Looks great! I'm glad that there seems to be nothing that negatively affects the already good Oberon users, except for one thing, being Renewal's spread speed. Renewal's orbs are currently affected by Natural Talent, and I hope the new wave is affected the same way. One other thing though. Is it true that Reckoning will no longer drop health orbs? It would be sad to have to get rid of my Health Conversion build. Either way though, the rework is looking great overall, and I think all of my 7 Oberons will benefit from it.

Also, I'm loving the proposed passive idea. As mainly a kavat user myself it'll benefit me quite a lot, but I think it's also nice as a way to get more people to see the usefulness some pets have.

Love it.

Smite no longer falling off quite so hard when you're in a sortie sounds great, and the fact that it scales with the target solidifies its position as a "giant slayer", a tool for dealing with the most dangerous enemies.

Hallowed Ground gaining status chance promises to let Oberon players spend less time pressing 4, overall, which lately has proven to be a good thing.

Renewal granting a flat armor bonus to allies on Hallowed Ground fixes one of the problems HG struggles with now: percent armor boosts are useless for protecting allies with very low base armor, and those are the ones you most want to protect. The armor buff scaling positively with duration after the heal ends means you can build for duration to get a faster (thus, stronger) heal without sacrificing actual duration on the buff. Finally, the heal remaining for its full duration also allows it to be used proactively, in contrast with Trinity's reactive Blessing. It's this last change that takes the sting out of potentially losing the infinite range, but truth be told, I think it's appropriate for us to fight together, anyway. Question: will this wave also heal rescue targets and other non-Tenno allies?

Reckoning's new armor debuff adds some welcome utility to one of the game's less potent support frames. His heal is slower than others, and his CC still leaves bullets flying around, so the armor buffs and debuffs definitely give him a niche within the category.

Finally, the thing you didn't mention, the proposed passive. It's honestly a great idea. Kubrow and kavat abilities are very useful, and I feel like the only people who would object to having access to them more often are those who have already decided they don't want to use pets at all. Most of them appear to be people who can't let go of Vacuum, which is fine. Ironically, they're the same people who decry Mag's passive because "everyone has Vacuum on their sentinel", even though there are plenty of people who prefer to bring pets. It seems like a small thing, but I'm actually excited to see this new passive in action. I hope you don't shy away from it because of a few vocal people who seem to hate pets. In fact, I'd like to see a Prime kavat collar (like Kavasa for kubrows) released alongside Oberon Prime. Just saying...

First off, big thanks to the developers for taking player opinion into consideration. You've just fixed one of the two biggest problems with the renewal ability. However, I believe I speak for many of us oberon players when I say that I'm not entirely satisfied. While you've now made it POSSIBLE to build for renewal's regeneration and phoenix renewal, but you still haven't addressed the inverse duration scaling caused by ever making renewal a channeled ability in the first place. This causes building for renewal's bleedout reduction, regeneration, or phoenix renewal to gimp hallowed ground, as well as lose out on the marginal CC caused by reckoning's blind. It also means you can't cast renewal repetitively(you must first cancel the active renewal buff), which, considering the fact that renewal can reach different allies at different times, is pretty bad. Not to mention oberon is a frame that relies heavily on repetitive casting of powers.

You also seem to want to keep the changes you made to renewal (nerfing its range from infinite to what sounds like maybe less range than trinity, unless you mod for MAXIMUM duration), and from what little footage of the oberon rework I saw, it even seems to move SLOWER than the previous renewal's orbs. This destroys almost all of renewal's potential as a bleedout reducer (it will only work if you're already near the downed player, at which point you would likely be able to revive them anyway, and the time spent casting renewal would be a net loss of time). 

I'm pleased to see that you seem to be keeping reckoning's 100% radiation proc chance (I would have been fine with losing it, until I found out that hallowed ground's radiation proc is a strength-based chance. In that situation, I thank you for keeping reckoning's rad procs untouched.)

And I think I speak for all of us when I say that the changes to hallowed ground's shape are a step in the right direction. I don't think I'll ever give up on the idea that it should be a radial ability, but the arc is a welcome change nonetheless.

Now, question time!

Is hallowed ground's shape able to reach full 360 degree coverage(making it effectively radial)? If so, does that require fully maxed power range? If not, what is the maximum angle we can achieve? Is there a hard cap to the angle we can achieve, after which point more range doesn't affect the angle? Is there a soft cap, where the amount of range required to reach angle x approaches infinity(an asymptotic function)?

What is the base status chance for hallowed ground's radiation procs? Can you get it to achieve 100% status chance? If so, how much strength does that require?

Reckoning: Do we actually get to keep the 100% rad proc chance(just to make sure that didn't escape the changenotes)? Is the hallowed reckoning augment staying as-is? If so, will hallowed reckoning count in terms of the armor-stripping synergy? Is the armor-stripping flat or a percentage? Does it stack? If so, will we experience diminishing returns? Is the armor strip permanent or duration based?