Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Stalker: Explaining Lore By A Quest

Ana-Inc

I was thinking about how a couple of players were explaining that Hunhow was somewhat of an unexplored character and I thought about the Stalker being unexplored as well. His lore is isn't quite explained except by the Second Dream and the codex entry. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Stalker's history isn't shown like your Operator's during War Within. We are only shown the time frame where he accepts Hunhow's guidance via the first cinematic to The Second Dream, not the direct reason he hunts the Tenno. The codex entry seldom explains why he does, but that doesn't answer questions such as why he was there, why he accepted Hunhow's help, or why he went against the Lotus.

With the Stalker being a Tenno, he operates a warframe. That would mean he have to have an operator, and control the warframe by transference on Lua like yourself or by transference from the ship. Hunhow also questions Shadow, "was he one of these wretched things" implying that he is or was a Tenno. This quest would explain his lore in two parts: part one would cast some light on who he is, what happened in the time before Hunhow, and would lead up to the Second Dream. Part two would be after completing War Within, further explaining who he was during the time of the Orokin but with your operator and him working as a team. The quest as a whole would let you play as the Stalker, seeing in his eyes of who the Tenno are and who he is. If you'd like to hear the details of both parts of the quest, I have some material ready to post.

7 minutes ago, Ana-Inc said:

quest as a whole would let you play as the Stalker, seeing in his eyes of who the Tenno are and who he is. If you'd like to hear the details of both parts of the quest, I have some material ready to post.

would be really cool to play as stalker as he is only of my favorite NPC ingame and if that made it so we could play as him? iam ready to purge all my ammo drums to do so

Edited by ShadowStalker

1 hour ago, Ana-Inc said:

With the Stalker being a Tenno

This has not been confirmed and nor is it the only option. There are other beings capable of engaging in Transference with a Warframe, such as Archimedian Silvana controlling Titania. There's speculation surrounding the old War Within script that some of the Dax may have been among the first to engage in Transference while attempting to explore avenues besides the Tenno, whom they could not control.

The Lotus refers to the Stalker as "having been driven insane" by the same secret which we discovered in the Second Dream, but that does not imply the Stalker is a Tenno. It simply means the Stalker was confronted with the fact that, if the Stalker is indeed a Warframe and not something else, then he has an Operator who is himself, and simultaneously a stranger. Imagine confronting an entity which looks nothing alike you, yet you know in the depths of your being that entity is you. The paradox could very likely drive you mad.

We know why he went against the Lotus - she, as Natah, was fully responsible for orchestrating the fall of the Orokin Empire at the Terminus. She was the one who effectively controlled, ordered, and orchestrated the Tenno to slaughter the Orokin - the Stalker will never forgive her nor us for that. It's possible that the Stalker allied with Hunhow for the sole purpose of destroying the Tenno and the Lotus - with the Orokin Empire gone, this is the only way Hunhow can continue the Old War. At the same time, Hunhow's help was a seemingly perfect vehicle for the Stalker to finally exact his revenge.

Furthermore, the Stalker himself disproves that he could be a Tenno through his Codex entry. He refers to himself as a "low guardian" - considered beneath the Tenno, yet similar in the fact that they were both defenders of the Orokin Empire at that time. The Dax also fall under this category, per Teshin's explanation in the War Within. Unless DE proves otherwise, the Stalker is not a Tenno.

Edited by InfinitySnail
typos

VoidWraith,

I would imagine that you have to solo the first mission simply because it's only the Stalker you control, the second part you may enlist a squad but the host would be the one who controls the mission.

InfinitySnail

I like how you explained the lore on paper so to speak, however, I feel it needs to expand on that in-game with the reason being that Warframe could use more content than just side quests and new frames as well as some players could be somewhat confused on the lore because they didn't quite pay attention to the story or since it may have been too cryptic to understand while the Stalker was exalting you. Obviously I have made some conflict in lore with my general description above.

7 minutes ago, Ana-Inc said:

I like how you explained the lore on paper so to speak, however, I feel it needs to expand on that in-game with the reason being that Warframe could use more content than just side quests and new frames as well as some players could be somewhat confused on the lore because they didn't quite pay attention to the story or since it may have been too cryptic to understand while the Stalker was exalting you. Obviously I have made some conflict in lore with my general description above.

I do agree that the delivery of the story is vague and all over the place - there isn't one centralized avenue to explain the M.O. of the Stalker, Hunhow, or the nature of either. Seriously, a Codex entry on Hunhow would be fantastic.

In this regard, a quest would help - though I disagree that playing the Stalker would be the way to make this happen. Instead, I would propose a series of flashbacks (a la The War Within) showing the Tenno's relationship to the low guardians, Stalker included. Replaying through the events that happened at the Terminus would be fantastic. We could get answers as to the fates of other notable figures such as Executor Ballas from that.

Edited by InfinitySnail

InfinitySnail

Yes, I can agree with that as well. My thoughts on playing as the Stalker meant you envisioned yourself as the Stalker, having flashbacks and what not. I did not explain it at the get go since I expected my thoughts on the quest idea to not go very far, that's why I never posted anything on the actual game play content of the quest itself.