Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Concept : Railgun with alternative firing mode (rough sketch added)

Noioiy

Hello,

I'd like to suggest an idea for a new weapon type. A rail gun which would have an alternative fire mode. I can't provide any illustrations cause I'm not good with drawing at all but I'd like to describe it's mechanics.

• The gun would have a long barrel, longer than the average sniper rifles we see in game, and the longer barrel would help propel the projectile at high speeds. But when we switch to alternate firing more using the middle mouse button, an animation would play where the frame will fold the barrel to 1/3rd of its original size and it can be used as a short range gun that'd shoot plasma (something like the zarr does).
  • The rail gun would have a charge mechanic, the longer we hold the charge the more damaging the projectile would be and the longer it would travel, Charging the shot to a 100% will grant the gun innate punch through that could take down multiple enemies in a line (something Dread does already). But we wouldn't be able to hold the charge to 100% forever (like the daikyu) and the gun will discharge the electricity (either discharge or just shoot the projectile)
  • Spoiler

Now the alternate firing mode (where the barrel folds down) will shoot heated plasma (which generates the electricity for the electromagnet for the railgun) like the zarr shoots its pellets. Short range and wide spread, so it would only be effective in short range encounters.

Ditching the alt fire for now cause this one does seem lacking

Aesthetics?

• I haven't really come up with any ideas about the looks of the gun. I was hoping maybe we could have signs like these >>>> along both sides of the barrel which would light up as we charge the gun from 0 to a 100% It could also indicate the moment when it's about to discharge so we can release the trigger. The color of the signs will change based on the energy color chosen for the gun.
  •  
Spoiler

• The barrel can be folded down while changing the fire mode of the weapon where the signs on the barrel would be something like this

>>>>

<<<<

>>>> (I really wish I could give better examples, I do)

Alt fire details and mechanics will be added later (feedback and ideas are welcome!)

Adding a sketch rough rushed sketch for a basic idea

Spoiler

2s0bm74.jpg

(This makes me so anxious) If you have any ideas or questions, please let me know!

Edited by Noioiy
removed alt fire

8 hours ago, Noioiy said:

Hello,

I'd like to suggest an idea for a new weapon type. A rail gun which would have an alternative fire mode. I can't provide any illustrations cause I'm not good with drawing at all but I'd like to describe it's mechanics.

• The gun would have a long barrel, longer than the average sniper rifles we see in game, and the longer barrel would help propel the projectile at high speeds. But when we switch to alternate firing more using the middle mouse button, an animation would play where the frame will fold the barrel to 1/3rd of its original size and it can be used as a short range gun that'd shoot plasma (something like the zarr does).
  • The rail gun would have a charge mechanic, the longer we hold the charge the more damaging the projectile would be and the longer it would travel, Charging the shot to a 100% will grant the gun innate punch through that could take down multiple enemies in a line (something Dread does already). But we wouldn't be able to hold the charge to 100% forever (like the daikyu) and the gun will discharge the electricity (either discharge or just shoot the projectile)
  • Now the alternate firing mode (where the barrel folds down) will shoot heated plasma (which generates the electricity for the electromagnet for the railgun) like the zarr shoots its pellets. Short range and wide spread, so it would only be effective in short range encounters.

Aesthetics?

• I haven't really come up with any ideas about the looks of the gun. I was hoping maybe we could have signs like these >>>> along both sides of the barrel which would light up as we charge the gun from 0 to a 100% It could also indicate the moment when it's about to discharge so we can release the trigger. The color of the signs will change based on the energy color chosen for the gun.
  • The barrel can be folded down while changing the fire mode of the weapon where the signs on the barrel would be something like this

>>>>

<<<<

>>>> (I really wish I could give better examples, I do)

(This makes me so anxious) If you have any ideas or questions, please let me know!

I drew a concept for a Railgun a while ago. 

This was my drawing.

1 hour ago, BlueLTO said:

Hey thank you for sharing your art! The design I have in mind will have a closed barrel so we won't be able to see the electric arcs. Also with the closed barrel we can place the >>>>>>>> pattern on both sides that'd light up. I really like your design and appreciate the effort you put into it! But I was going for a more sleeker but longer barrel so it'd fold down for the secondary attacks. I'll try to find a reference image for it~!

3 hours ago, (PS4)ssekame said:

It basically sounds like the Opticor with a secondary fire mechanic. I hope you keep improving on the idea as it is a pretty creative idea! Maybe change the plasma mechanic, IDK.

Well yeah, somewhat I think. I mean the opticor apparently shoots plasma (even though the weapon is hitscan). But this one's supposed to shoot conductive metal slugs / projectiles. I do want to explore more ideas about the alt fire mechanics cause the current one seems kinda lacking. I only added it cause DE's been releasing new weapons with alt fire, and folding the guns barrel would look pretty cool too (at least in my mind it does). Also I picked plasma shots cause conductive plasma can be used to generate electricity, which we'll need for the electromagnets. Forgot to mention that the Optior can't hold the charge, but this one can for a little while (like daikyu)

I am open to suggestions though!

Edited by Noioiy

2 hours ago, Noioiy said:

Hey thank you for sharing your art! The design I have in mind will have a closed barrel so we won't be able to see the electric arcs. Also with the closed barrel we can place the >>>>>>>> pattern on both sides that'd light up. I really like your design and appreciate the effort you put into it! But I was going for a more sleeker but longer barrel so it'd fold down for the secondary attacks. I'll try to find a reference image for it~!

Well yeah, somewhat I think. I mean the opticor apparently shoots plasma (even though the weapon is hitscan). But this one's supposed to shoot conductive metal slugs / projectiles. I do want to explore more ideas about the alt fire mechanics cause the current one seems kinda lacking. I only added it cause DE's been releasing new weapons with alt fire, and folding the guns barrel would look pretty cool too (at least in my mind it does). Also I picked plasma shots cause conductive plasma can be used to generate electricity, which we'll need for the electromagnets. Forgot to mention that the Optior can't hold the charge, but this one can for a little while (like daikyu)

I am open to suggestions though!

How is this?

On 4/28/2017 at 0:45 AM, BlueLTO said:

How is this?

Hey, thank you for your reply! The design looks pretty nice but it looks more like a harpoon gun-ish to me?

I made a rough sketch with pen and paper so it's not gonna be anything amazing, just a rough idea of how it might look. Gonna ditch the idea of alt fire for now until a design can be finalized.

Try not to laugh too much at the drawings, it takes a lot of courage to upload poopy concept arts to a global community.

Spoiler

2s0bm74.jpg

Edited by Noioiy

11 hours ago, Noioiy said:

Hey, thank you for your reply! The design looks pretty nice but it looks more like a harpoon gun-ish to me?

I made a rough sketch with pen and paper so it's not gonna be anything amazing, just a rough idea of how it might look. Gonna ditch the idea of alt fire for now until a design can be finalized.

Try not to laugh too much at the drawings, it takes a lot of courage to upload poopy concept arts to a global community.

Reveal hidden contents

2s0bm74.jpg

I can see you want a Railgun Sniper. 

I will tell you that there isn't any Harpoon quality to my drawing, that is just a metal slug that is highly charged from exiting a high powered electromagnetic coil. 

Now I want a Railgun Sniper.... 

1 hour ago, BlueLTO said:

I can see you want a Railgun Sniper. 

I will tell you that there isn't any Harpoon quality to my drawing, that is just a metal slug that is highly charged from exiting a high powered electromagnetic coil. 

Now I want a Railgun Sniper.... 

well yes, a real rail gun can shoot a projectile at the the speed of Mach 7 which can penetrate a few half inch metal sheets (punch through yay). They can go up to around 2.4 km/s and can cover a lot of distance before hitting the ground. Using a rail gun for long range sniping would be more practical.

maybe we can incorporate an alternative fire where we switch ammo to plasma rounds. shorter range but deals aoe damage like opticor. secondary fire would deal heat damage (cause plasma) while primary would deal puncture damage.

maybe you can come up with a design? if you have the time of course. I'm just bad with drawing if you couldn't tell lol. your designs are quite nice.

Edited by Noioiy

8 minutes ago, Noioiy said:

well yes, a real rail gun can shoot a projectile at the the speed of Mach 7 which can penetrate a few half inch metal sheets (punch through yay). They can go up to around 2.4 km/s and can cover a lot of distance before hitting the ground. Using a rail gun for long range sniping would be more practical.

maybe we can incorporate an alternative fire where we switch ammo to plasma rounds. shorter range but deals aoe damage like opticor. secondary fire would deal heat damage (cause plasma) while primary would deal puncture damage.

maybe you can come up with a design? if you have the time of course. I'm just bad with drawing if you couldn't tell lol. your designs are quite nice.

I already think the design I drew looks like a Railgun Sniper. And as for secondary fire, why not fire a bolt of lightning?