Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Not so) Small Scale Changes to Chroma to Make Him Consistent

Sajochi

1 hour ago, Sajochi said:

About the 70m range, that's more taking into account using max range on mods.

Ah, gotcha. That might be worth clarifying. 

As for regen on fire, the previous suggestions about adding sustain to Spectral Scream would mean that practically any element would be somewhat appealing. I'm a bit hesitant but your idea might actually be a more balanced way to go.

That's fair. I'll be honest, I actually missed the lifesteal portion of Spectral Scream when I read your OP. xP

At any rate, if you want to give Fire a healing-based identity, then it might be a good idea to omit the healing component of SS and give Fire Ward health regeneration. SS will still be worth using with its 100% status chance. Which reminds me...

Can you elaborate on your passive idea?

[Exact values are negotiable, as are the ideas themselves. I'm kinda just brainstorming here.]

Status effects inflicted by Chroma have additional effects based on Chroma's chosen element.

• Fire: Every time a Fire proc inflicted by Chroma damages an enemy, Chroma restores 2-5 HP.  
  • Ice: Ice procs on enemies reduce their damage by 5-10%.
  • Lightning: Every enemy inflicted with a Lightning proc within 15 meters of Chroma increases his Power Strength by 1-2%, capped at 10-15%. 
  • Toxin: Every existing Toxin proc on an enemy increases the damage of the next Toxin proc applied to the target by 1%, capped at 15%. For example, if an enemy is already suffering from 5 Toxin procs, then the sixth Toxin proc inflicted on the target will deal 5% more damage, then the seventh will deal 6% more damage, and so on and so forth. 

This would even give SS its healing component back, but only when using Fire, since inflicting Fire procs could give Chroma a pretty substantial amount of health regeneration. 

Edited by Gurpgork

4 hours ago, (PS4)CommanderC2121 said:

I may have not seen this, but do you mention a part of an ability that lets chroma change mid mission? I feel this, among all other changes is most needed

I respectfully disagree. The difference between Elemental Ward and an ability like Quiver is that none of Quiver's abilities merit their own ability slot, whereas every Elemental Ward does deserve its own slot. So while it sounds great on paper, it would make Chroma stand head and shoulders above everyone else, since he would have three more abilities than everyone else, without having to pay the price of having his extra abilities being significantly weaker. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my Chroma, but there's no reason to make him blatantly overpowered. 

On Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 11:54 PM, Gurpgork said:

[Exact values are negotiable, as are the ideas themselves. I'm kinda just brainstorming here.]

Status effects inflicted by Chroma have additional effects based on Chroma's chosen element.

• Fire: Every time a Fire proc inflicted by Chroma damages an enemy, Chroma restores 2-5 HP.  
  • Ice: Ice procs on enemies reduce their damage by 5-10%.
  • Lightning: Every enemy inflicted with a Lightning proc within 15 meters of Chroma increases his Power Strength by 1-2%, capped at 10-15%. 
  • Toxin: Every existing Toxin proc on an enemy increases the damage of the next Toxin proc applied to the target by 1%, capped at 15%. For example, if an enemy is already suffering from 5 Toxin procs, then the sixth Toxin proc inflicted on the target will deal 5% more damage, then the seventh will deal 6% more damage, and so on and so forth. 

This would even give SS its healing component back, but only when using Fire, since inflicting Fire procs could give Chroma a pretty substantial amount of health regeneration. 

These, I like. I'll edit the op when I'm back on pc. 

11 hours ago, (PS4)CommanderC2121 said:

I may have not seen this, but do you mention a part of an ability that lets chroma change mid mission? I feel this, among all other changes is most needed

As @Gurpgork stated, on paper it seems like a good idea.  In reality, it adds unnecessary power due to how elements work in Chroma's kit, currently. The idea is to make each element unique enough that it feels like Chroma is four separate warframe with different play styles, as well as make them all appealing. 

On 5/5/2017 at 11:44 PM, Gurpgork said:

I respectfully disagree. The difference between Elemental Ward and an ability like Quiver is that none of Quiver's abilities merit their own ability slot, whereas every Elemental Ward does deserve its own slot. So while it sounds great on paper, it would make Chroma stand head and shoulders above everyone else, since he would have three more abilities than everyone else, without having to pay the price of having his extra abilities being significantly weaker. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my Chroma, but there's no reason to make him blatantly overpowered. 

Then may i show you exhibit A, equinox. She has easily one of the best damage dealing abilities (main) in the game, capable of nukes up to 2 billion damage, she can heal quite efficiently, can CC a whole room with her 2, and can change between her forms at will.

therefore, why not chroma? Make it so the act of switching will change elements, and therefore remove any current buffs so you can have a fire EW and an ice EW buff set. 

The biggest problem with chroma is that he doesnt fit his tag line. Hes known for his adaptation in lore, but then gets stuck for a full mission on one element? Furthermore, if he could switch mid mission, he could support teammates a bit better. Going from ice to fire would allow for some helpful heals, or if your bunkering down, help teamates with increased reload stats. 

Either way, I see massive potential lost when chroma is stuck to one element. You may disagree, and your free to do that, but ive given some of my reasons for why i think he should be able to switch, and i hope you can understand my point of view.

thank you for reading 

On 5/6/2017 at 7:15 AM, Sajochi said:

These, I like. I'll edit the op when I'm back on pc. 

As @Gurpgork stated, on paper it seems like a good idea.  In reality, it adds unnecessary power due to how elements work in Chroma's kit, currently. The idea is to make each element unique enough that it feels like Chroma is four separate warframe with different play styles, as well as make them all appealing. 

Id argue that chromas uniqueness is rather obselete when we cant switch mid mission. Currently, there is 0 reasons to not use ice chroma. Facts are facts, and facts show ice is the best. While granted, buffing the other elements might help with this, but i do know personally that if i could switch mid mission, i would use electricity and toxin a lot more. Also allow for nice fashion framing then. 

On Sunday, May 07, 2017 at 7:49 PM, (PS4)CommanderC2121 said:

Id argue that chromas uniqueness is rather obselete when we cant switch mid mission. Currently, there is 0 reasons to not use ice chroma. Facts are facts, and facts show ice is the best. While granted, buffing the other elements might help with this, but i do know personally that if i could switch mid mission, i would use electricity and toxin a lot more. Also allow for nice fashion framing then. 

Read the op again.  The reason I, and a few others,  are going for unique buffs with each element is because each element does play differently in the current iteration.  By removing flat stay gains,  and having the passive gain a bonus depending on elemental proc would not only make each element appealing,  but allow different play styles to bloom.

Fire is your sustain element, giving you passive healing on inflicting fire procs,  and a defensive fire aura that scales with power strength. A melee oriented Chroma would enjoy this.

Ice loses the reflect and armor buff for a slowing circle. Ice procs on enemies reduce their damage output.  This works well with ranges attacks and melee charge attacks.

Electric stays mostly the same,  with the reflect damage based off incoming damage, and gaining more power strength per electrified enemy. Melee and Range benefit.

Toxin is your utility and damage buff causing increasing poison damage on enemies inflicted by toxin procs, while making your actions quicker and adding toxin damage to weapons

Each element gets a niche,  and it's up to the player. Adding a switching mechanic is just too strong.

As for fashion frame,  simply having an element button in the arsenal for Chroma would fix that.  Then you can have whatever energy colour you want. 

Edited by Sajochi

I like the idea but I would honestly give another effect to Toxin element just becouse it looks and could be so awesome. Maybe give toxin Chroma a speed buff with some armor-melting effects? Cuz honestly, WHO EVEN PLAYS CHROMA WITH A RIFLE OR A SECONDARY? He is and should be a melee frame and all of his 4 elements should be available to play with a weapon of choice, not just guns, but melee too. (talking about toxin and electricity)

23 minutes ago, ToXico96 said:

I like the idea but I would honestly give another effect to Toxin element just becouse it looks and could be so awesome. Maybe give toxin Chroma a speed buff with some armor-melting effects? Cuz honestly, WHO EVEN PLAYS CHROMA WITH A RIFLE OR A SECONDARY? He is and should be a melee frame and all of his 4 elements should be available to play with a weapon of choice, not just guns, but melee too. (talking about toxin and electricity)

Interesting. I never considered melee since toxin already came with weapon swap speed, and thought maybe that would creep too much into Volt's turf, but you make a valid point. Maybe just action speed increase like reload,  weapon swap, and melee attack speed. Might throw things such as roll and aim glide in as well.

As for electric, I believe our approach is to make all elements work with range mods,  so high range builds can be a more viable option. I personally play with rifles and launchers on Chroma, but I also know how good a melee build on him is. 

• 1 month later...