Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

33 Warframes soon time to maybe increase default amount of warframe slots?

RustGear

As a long time player I have been able to keep on top of the warframe collecting and as a result am well aware that you simply cannot just have an insanely small selection of frames for constant use as each has their uses and are suitable for different playstyles. With such a large selection of warframes (can also include weapons in this if you so wish) which is ever growing my suggestion is instead of practially forcing new players to cram all their startup plat and maybe more into slots is maybe increase the starting slots allowing more people to enjoy the game and reduce the need to sophie's choice their frames(/weapons).

Edit: since some people seem to be miss understanding me i'm only suggesting maybe increasing default slots to around 4-5, this is neglegable on a devs need money basis as i believe player retention is important and only having 2 default slots for warframes when there are going to be 33 warframes on offer will hurt this.

P.S. feel free to re-locate this thread if in wrong section, i thought it would be appropriate here.

Edited by RustGear

Well, starting plat is a little nudge and you can't trade it anyway, so why not use it how you like on slots. Sounds good to me :)

There isn't really a need for more starter slots since you're supposed to advance and amass gradually as you learn more about the game. It's a process I've greatly enjoyed and what kept me going for a good while.

agreed. when i first started i definitely felt like i needed more options in warframes at my disposal depending on my mission type. i think 4 would do it. one for tank, one for stealth, one for cc/support and one for dps. then players should at least be able to prepare for all mission types. also when i started i was not wise and spent my plat on not warframe slots.

Edited by Wrum

1 minute ago, Acersecomic said:

Well, starting plat is a little nudge and you can't trade it anyway, so why not use it how you like on slots. Sounds good to me :)

There isn't really a need for more starter slots since you're supposed to advance and amass gradually as you learn more about the game. It's a process I've greatly enjoyed and what kept me going for a good while.

i don't deny this i'm simply asking for a few more slots, newbies can pour those plat into even more if they so wish or maybe a few potatos

1 minute ago, DiosGX said:

When you are attempting to "balance" out a game like this, if you are not including the fact this game needs money to survive then you are working with half a deck.

just FYI OP

did you read it like GIVE US ALL THE SLOTS! i'm well aware that devs need money but i dearly think that the pitiful default amount of slots compared to whats on offer has become ridiculus and feel that it would put off new players

12 minutes ago, RustGear said:

did you read it like GIVE US ALL THE SLOTS! i'm well aware that devs need money but i dearly think that the pitiful default amount of slots compared to whats on offer has become ridiculus and feel that it would put off new players

You should be thankful you even get one bonus free slot tbh. You get an inch and ask for a meter. 

4 minutes ago, DiosGX said:

You should be thankful you even get one bonus free slot tbh. You get an inch and ask for a meter. 

I'm not asking for myself I'm concerned about the health of the game and wish new players stick around.

6 minutes ago, DiosGX said:

This mindset is toxic. 

As for the OP I agree, 4 or 5 sounds much more reasonable than 2 even with the starter plat. Most players arent even aware that they have to buy slots and have spent their starter plat on whatever because they just simply didnt know. The less buyer's remorse a noob has, the more likely they are to stick around, me thinks. 

2 minutes ago, armedpoop said:

This mindset is toxic. 

Agreed.

Also agree with OP, there are alot more frames now and it makes since to have more slots than before. It doesn't really hurt anyone, it will encourage new players to continue play and not worry about plat grinding right at the start of it, let's face it, they will have alot diferent type of grinds to to through already any relief on that would be good.

14 minutes ago, RustGear said:

I'm not asking for myself I'm concerned about the health of the game and wish new players stick around.

I'm aware you're talking about other players but let's spell this out since you don't seem to want to think this through fully.

Over 10,000,000 new accounts were created during 2016 alone. On a low estimate, you're looking at let's say 10% of those players who stick around longterm, permanently, and about 50% who play for a few months and drop a few bucks on plat. We're looking at, let's just super low ball this and say 3,000,000 even, who eventually buy only ten bucks worth of platinum when/if they get a coupon in those months.

Oh look that's thirty million dollars right there but let's cut that down even further for the sake of posterity. Let's say only 500,000 of those players actually put money into this game, and again, at the minimum ten dollar average ratio. We're still looking at five million dollars from a six month window, but hey, again, let's lower that guesstimate even further.

Let's say only 100,000 of those players pay $2.50 for plat cuz they got a nice discount coupon in a six month period. That's $250,000 from plat purchases. Then you include the prime access that people buy. The $50 here-and-there for people who only want the accessories and would rather farm the rest. Do you see the problem here now? In your mind it's "only one slot" but the buy-in having a minimum cost for even a single extra slot is what generates a lot of money from this game. You think it's "just one slot" but you aren't multiplying that by the literal millions upon millions of people that play this game. You are being short-sighted.

Source: https://www.warframe.com/news/celebrate-warframe-s-4th-anniversary

3 minutes ago, DiosGX said:

-snip-

yes i understand what you are getting at, it is a suggestion and not an order I have no direct control over what DE may or may not decide, if they decide to take the hit or not is up to them.

I'm all for making things more accessible for new players but the way you're suggesting it here would be a real dire blow to the game's profit stream.

I don't have a problem with your idea and I didn't mean to attack it so rudely. But the angle of approach is what would be an issue.

How about, instead, a limited-time discount available to newer players, say for the first month they're playing. Wherein if they buy slots, they get extras for free? It can't be a permanently accessible thing, but if the intent is to allow new players a larger slot array, maybe that would work?

Warframe slots cost 20p...

Deluxe skins cost 150+... 

I think DE could spare a few Plat and make the new player experience considerably better. Two slots was fine for 8 total Warframe, not 33. You should WANT to buy Plat, not feel forced to. 

Edited by DrBorris

Think its fine as it is.    If a player decides to play and go past the initial slots, they have the choice to either replace their current frames with new ones or buy slots and expand.   DE already provides everything needed to play the game for free.   Including a considerable amount of cosmetics not needed to play, but they do improve the experience somewhat.  There is simply no need to expand the slots.

Eh, I wouldn't mind another free slot as the best compromise is to give players a choice of one of the two remaining starter frames - and give them a free slot for the additional frame.  That could be something rolled out to all of us, and the vets would probably just vendor the extra frame just to free up the slot, although they may need to give us a free warframe slot as well as I don't know how many of us have free slots >.>

On a somewhat related note, I would be interested to know what percentage of players that choose Mag don't stick around, as Mag takes a lot of effort to become usable when compared to both Volt and Excalibur.  I wonder if there is a correlation between how long someone keeps playing and their initial frame choice....

24 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

On a somewhat related note, I would be interested to know what percentage of players that choose Mag don't stick around, as Mag takes a lot of effort to become usable when compared to both Volt and Excalibur.  I wonder if there is a correlation between how long someone keeps playing and their initial frame choice....

i started on mag :P

1 hour ago, Almagnus1 said:

I started with Mag and 2+ years later I'm still here and play daily. I remember I spammed her Pull and Shield Polarize all the time because I was lousy using weapons. I don't use her as much as before but I still use her, Excal, and Volt regularly in high level stuff.

I agree with OP that it would be nice to have a couple more free default frame slots for new players. People keep saying "oh, you can make plats soooooo easily" but they don't remember the new player experience and the steep learning curve especially if they don't have veterans helping the them out.  I find with the new relic system, it should be easier than before to sell prime junk, but if I am a new player, I rather learn and play the game instead of wading through that toxic mess of trade chat and worrying if others will take advantage of my inexperience.   I know DE makes money by selling plats but, like someone said, the game should make you feel wanting to spend money instead of forcing you to spend money. This is one of the reasons why I have stuck to this game so far and have bought plats to show my support to the developers. By having incentives to stay with the game longer, the player might be more tempted to spend money.  If new player quits immediately due to bad experience or whatever, then it is very likely they won't come back again because there are so many choices out there, and the developer loses that potential customer.

Plus we all know the common trap new players fall for with starter plats is they buy shinies (cosmetics) instead of slots and then they get annoyed that they run out of the slots. Having two more default slots will slightly alleviate that angst and maybe tempt them to stay longer and therefore maybe open their wallets.

I think OP's suggestion is quite reasonable and it is not like they want DE make all the slots free.

Edited by xiaodenden

It is a good idea except for the mindset of today's players. They are too MINEMINEMINE mentality. If They get additional slots, then they will ask for more slots for free. And if DE does not give in to giving them more, they will crymoan that this game is not worth the effort because DE does not listen to the players.

As for the game itself, it would be much more appropriate for ORDIS to inform during the Tutorial that "This is your WARFRAME. I can currently hold 2 of them yet as you grow in power and experience, you may want to increase my holding capacity to suit your style. This can be done by the wonderous metal called Platinum. Use it wisely and well." That, I believe would give a better intro to the game play and slots area. 

Or not.....