Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

33 Warframes soon time to maybe increase default amount of warframe slots?

RustGear

I have an idea. How about everyone starts with 85 starter plat. Then the first time you arrive on your ship, Ordis says that the ship doesn't have enough space to store the Warframe and weapons. You are forced to spend 35 of the plat on a Warframe slot and weapon slot. Maybe even say that you bought it from Darvo so you get an extra warframe slot. Now new players know that plat is needed for slots.

1 hour ago, stormsasuke180 said:

I have an idea. How about everyone starts with 85 starter plat. Then the first time you arrive on your ship, Ordis says that the ship doesn't have enough space to store the Warframe and weapons. You are forced to spend 35 of the plat on a Warframe slot and weapon slot. Maybe even say that you bought it from Darvo so you get an extra warframe slot. Now new players know that plat is needed for slots.

Careful or he'll make it a fire sale... and if you fail to act......

5 hours ago, stormsasuke180 said:

This is a great idea. I support any tutorials in this game. 

Edited by armedpoop

I don't really see why they should, regardless of us having 33 Frames or 100 Frames.

The free to play scenario is there to allow people to see the game, and their game is not going to be crippled by only having access to 3 free Frame slots instead of say, 10 free Frames slot, the defaults slots allow you to understand the game, then do research, and decide on a main, and a couple of extras to cover alternative play styles. Extra slots would only be a "buffer" towards new Frames anyway.

On my secondary non-plat account I have Excalibur as main, Loki secondary, and a the third slot as buffer for Frames that catch my interest as they come out.

I fully understand the OP argument, and yes, It would be nice if the default was higher, but I don't see it as a problem.

6 hours ago, stormsasuke180 said:

I think something along these lines would actually be better, as my new mate that comes over to play Warframe has already asked me "what the heck do I do with the Plat?" and my immediate response was "Leave it the hell alone till I explain it!" as he already said he will not be playing the game enough to spend cash on it and does NOT want me to donate Plat to him either, so he will currently play within the given limitations.

Maybe they could add in slots as part of the login rewards or maybe as rewards from the design council challenge....

Ideally though I think they could increase the slots a little, maybe an extra 1 or 2 because lets be honest here, unless a newbie comes to the forum or uses chat the odds they will use the starter plat for slots is pretty slim.

I agree with this, given the amount of frames in the game, primes included, having 4 or 5 warframe slots when you start the game should be a thing.

Also people have no clue what to spend starting plat on. Hardly any of 'em realize they even can buy slots, I've lost count of MR0s having the Excal Immortal skin.

On 5/1/2017 at 4:06 PM, Phatose said:

What if we were to give players 5 slots to start out with - but with the caveat starter slots cannot be used for Prime frames?

I really like this idea, actually. "Damaged warframe slots" so to speak.

Wut about dis? Ok we have good amount of warframes and some of them can blow to infinite waves of hardcore survival, do we need more? I want to see new planets, new tiles, new story missions, new NPCs, the full orbiter promised 3 years ago, finally the sentients, Lotus throne. What is happening they showed so much on devstreams long time ago where these stuff got? Why spending resources on developing mediocre warframes when we dont actually need them .... we need new and fresh content not warframes. 

On 5/1/2017 at 4:06 PM, Phatose said:

What if we were to give players 5 slots to start out with - but with the caveat starter slots cannot be used for Prime frames?

1 hour ago, DiosGX said:

I really like this idea, actually. "Damaged warframe slots" so to speak.

I disagree completely. "Damaged" items only create more confusion for new players, we are trying to move away from confusing players and changes like this will make this game even more of a "wiki" game. Something as important as slots does not need caveats. 

Edited by armedpoop

It would be extremely easy to spell out that restriction.  Wouldn't call them damaged, rather I'd call the regular, paid-for slots Prime slots and the free slots just call slots.

Has the added benefit of keeping Newbies from rushing directly to Prime frames and skipping the game's content.  That can cut down confusion that already exists - particularly regarding why you'd get a regular frame when primes are available.

At any rate, if extra slots are given at zero charge, there need to be considerable hoops to jump through.  That way players will still feel they want to buy slots, even if they don't strictly have to - simply to avoid inconvenience.  That is the fundamental mechanic of a Free to play, after all.  Something along the lines of slots needing to be crafted, sequentially, for a total crafting time of 3 days or so.

Seems most naysayers are forgetting we have Seven, frames that you can only ever get once (outside of buying them).  Yes, Seven (Atlas, Chroma, Inaros, Limbo, Mirage, Octavia, and Titania, with more likely to be added to quests in the future).  This implies that players are meant to keep them.

Ideally new players don't need those slots from the very start, so could earn them via progressing in the game (along with a few weapon ones wouldn't hurt either).  Gaining additional slots through opening up rails as they progress through the game would achieve this.  This does two things, it keeps their slots scarce (typically earning frames faster than they will be gaining slots), thus adding an incentive to buy slots along the way, and secondly it helps out newer players with the extra slots, letting them actually hold onto those frames that can only be built once.

Edited by Loswaith

It's a distinction between how strict and tough starting out in the game is versus how much players should have access to when they begin. DE is running the game off a free-to-play model, and they need to be able to make a profit. Changes have been made to support players towards a more relaxed game but they still need to be able to make a profit. The current business model is a nice balance between the two. Long term players will have more avenues towards making a profit while newer players are going to have a tough time making a grand amount of shiny platinum. This can scare many new members away though.

New players between Ranks 0 and 4 are not going to have access to the majority of the games content and by extension the majority of methods to acquire goods to trade. Even much older players of two years might agree that trading in Warframe can be extremely tedious and monotonous.

I don't think any change necessarily needs to be made for new player accounts, but I think the new chat filtering feature to be released is a nice step towards a more streamlined trading environment that new players could definitely benefit from.

Edited by (XB1)RPColten

Instead of extra warframe slots for new players, it's better to give them out for anniversary (free weapons are already part of free slots) or certain events. Or give them out as a reward for certain quests, like say, Second Dream or something earlier. Simply because I don't find the new players need extra slots right away but they would when they played a bit more. Just set a number of warframe slots a player could have without spending plat. I would say the proper number is 5 (starter frame, Rhino, Frost, Ember, Loki) so you'd have enough frames for starmap content without having the fancier frames. By this time you should be able to earn enough plat or know the game well enough to gauge whether you should spend money for plat or not.

23 hours ago, armedpoop said:

I disagree completely. "Damaged" items only create more confusion for new players, we are trying to move away from confusing players and changes like this will make this game even more of a "wiki" game. Something as important as slots does not need caveats. 

Because looking things up is so difficult. Researching information is for plebs, right? Bunch of silly people with their information and knowledge. So ridiculous that people have to LOOK THINGS UP. It should be like real life's tutorial. It makes so much sense.

On 5/2/2017 at 8:38 AM, DrBorris said:

Warframe slots cost 20p...

Deluxe skins cost 150+... 

I think DE could spare a few Plat and make the new player experience considerably better. Two slots was fine for 8 total Warframe, not 33. You should WANT to buy Plat, not feel forced to. 

Hmmmm, see what you're saying, but for all the game warframe offers, $10 isn't too much to ask, of any player.

4 hours ago, DiosGX said:

Because looking things up is so difficult. Researching information is for plebs, right? Bunch of silly people with their information and knowledge. So ridiculous that people have to LOOK THINGS UP. It should be like real life's tutorial. It makes so much sense.

I dont think you understand why new players not having things explained to them is a bad thing. So instead of derailing this thread with the (what I thought was obvious) explanation, ill respond to you one last time and reiterate what I said earlier: This mindset is toxic and does nothing to help with player retention which is the lifeblood of this game. Anything that can help new players stick around deserves to be looked at. 

Players should NOT have to go to outside sources to understand something as basic and as important as slots. (or for the knowledge that they NEED slots)

1 hour ago, Troll_Logic said:

1)  This is how DE makes their money.

2)  20p for a WF slot is trivially easy to generate.  Trivially easy.

3)  This is how DE makes their money.

DE makes their money off of many other things in the market, like nice deluxe skins, or even tennogen. Nobody is saying that 20p is too much for a slot. 

Edited by armedpoop

9 minutes ago, StabbyTentacles said:

Hmmmm, see what you're saying, but for all the game warframe offers, $10 isn't too much to ask, of any player.

The problem I see is that the game is asking for money BEFORE it shows what it truly has to offer. Two Warframe slots (Let's be honest, if a player does not do their research they will probably not spend starter plat on slots) is not enough to show off the greatest attribute of Warframe, the diversity. Just 5 slots, that is plenty of time for someone to see what Warframe has to offer. Think about it, 3 more slots, so 60 plat. Now if you want to get half of the Warframes you'll still need 12 more slots, so 240 plat. "DE needs their money", BS. 60 plat is an insignificant drop in the bucket.

Personally, quest 'frames should come with their own slots.  IIRC, that puts the player with 5 slots total.  2 starter slots plus 3 quest 'frames that require you to build the Warframe to proceed.  (I may be wrong on the numbers, it's been a long time since I did those quests)

1 hour ago, DrBorris said:

60 plat is an insignificant drop in the bucket.

Not really.  To someone walking around with several thousand plat, sure.

To the millions of new guys that drop that first $5 each "just to buy a little plat to expand their inventory a bit", that significant coinage.