Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Default Controls should be changed

Witchydragon

Yes, I know that you can change the controls, but there are many people that don't, and the default control scheme is problematic.

Of course, the new default control scheme should only be applied to new accounts and not overwrite any existing controls, for obvious reasons (confusion). Now with that out of the way:

• The default mouse sensitivity is extremely high. This leads to many new players thinking a mouse sensitivity like that is normal and playable. It's not, especially when many common mice default at over 1000 DPI, it leads to shaky aim and ugly aim. Default sensitivity should be at around 5 rather than 50, which at max FoV, is close 4 inches per 360, which is a fairly 'normal' sensitivity, if a little high.
  • 'Context Action Includes Reload' should be disabled by default.
  • Sprint/Roll on Shift leads to people double tapping with their pinky finger, which is awkward and becomes painful. Compounded with the next point:
  • Control key for 'Hold to Crouch' leads to long term nerve/joint damage, or usually just significant discomfort when trying to make fancy, repeated maneuvers (bullet jump spam). Bullet jump into double jump into roll is an extremely common maneuver, however the pinky has to press 3 button in quick succession and move, and will be doing this constantly. I would propose that Hold to crouch be moved to C, Roll being moved to V, and Sprint should stay on Shift. Alternatively, Hold to Crouch could be on Shift, Roll on a Mouse button/C, and Sprint not being bound by default with implementation of auto-sprint by default.
  • Quick melee on E is fine, but I think that Equipped Melee Attack should be moved to Mouse button 1, channeling a toggle by default and bound to E instead. It just seems weird for the typical 'press to kill' key to be a modifier rather than the actual attack. It would also reduce the burden on the left hand, which already uses each of it's fingers excessively.
  • It would be neat for the Gear Hotkey buttons to be bound to the number pad keys be default, as they perfectly align with each gear slot (8 slots fr 8 buttons in a circle).

I think this is the least problematic control scheme that will fit many more players without being too alien, and improve the new player experience for those that tend to stick to default controls. 

40 minutes ago, Witchydragon said:

Yes, I know that you can change the controls, but there are many people that don't, and the default control scheme is problematic.

While I cannot speak for everyone, personally the first thing I do when I start a new game I intend to play longer than 20 minutes is adjust mouse movement, and change up the keys.  Most games' default settings are atrocious.  I feel bad for anyone who doesn't immediately change at least a few things right off the bat.

Can't disagree with anything said here, though, it would not hurt to get an updated set of default settings for new players.

The buttons they use are standard in fps games

even CS, call of duty etc

wasd is always movement,

r is reload,

shift is always spint

and crouch is always left ctrl.

space is to jump.

Regarding sensitivity, msot games will always put the sensitivity to the center.

I use ESDF rather than WASD because its better and makes more sense in my opinion. Because of this setup I rebind my sprint key in all my games to A because its more comfortable than holding my pinky on shift.

Well today I come back to this...game and one of the updates reset all my settings. Frustrating but oh well, so I go to rebind my keys and this game REFUSES to let me rebind sprint to A when it has never had this problem since the release in 2012! In fact I tried it on the rest of the controls and I cannot rebind A to more than half of the other keys?!?!

I cannot enjoy this game without being able to rebind my keys so someone let me know if they ever fix this crap and maybe I'll come back.

Alrighty then nevermind... I reset all settings to default and now I am able to rebind shift to A.

EDIT: Nevermind... I was able to reproduce this problem. I found out that as soon as I bound Numpad Enter to the secondary key binding for Chat it would unbind A from sprint/roll and not allow me to rebind it until I unbound Numpad Enter... That's just wild...

Edited by Synikal