Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Replacing Rolls with "Limbo-dashes" when using melee weapons.

tnccs215

With the upcoming small changes of melee gameplay, shown on the last two (?) devstreams, I believe it is a good time to ask for what could be a small, though pleasent change: to replace the current roll, for somethin akin to Limbo's "rift-dash". 

Be it for purely visual reasons or not, the quick slide performed by Limbo appears to make the frames more... agile than the somewhat cumbersome roll, much better suited for dodging and countering enemy attacks than the usual roll -- which is much more important while using melee than when gunning around. I am aware that this is mostly a very subjective issue, but we are subjective creatures, and I believe that giving more use to the fenomenally fluid dashing animations, specially employing all frames, would make many people happy, while adding an additional layer of "agile confort" to this game.

Plus, it would make the creation of said animations much more worthwhile, since they'd be employed in more than just one specific case.

I hope this idea has already crossed the mind of whoever is responsible for the changes, and I hope they agree that this could be quite nice.

Edited by tnccs215

I actually prefer the roll. Not only does it reduce damage, but it is much more effective when trying to gain momentum while parkouring. I roll a *lot* and would miss it if it were replaced. Also the ability to reduce damage while moving forward quickly is important while in melee-only mode, since you have to close with enemies before you can do anything about them.

5 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I actually prefer the roll. Not only does it reduce damage, but it is much more effective when trying to gain momentum while parkouring. I roll a *lot* and would miss it if it were replaced. Also the ability to reduce damage while moving forward quickly is important while in melee-only mode, since you have to close with enemies before you can do anything about them.

I think it was implied that the damage reduction and even the momentum stayed, for obvious reasons: the objective is to streamline the dodge and make it more fluid, not to gimp it. No point in assuming otherwise.

Edited by tnccs215

15 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

I think it was implied that the damage reduction and even the momentum stayed, for obvious reasons: the objective is to streamline the dodge and make it more fluid, not to gimp it. No point in assuming otherwise.

But doesn't Limbo's dodge not do these things? For one thing, it doesn't work with "bullet jump -> double jump -> roll" combos, meaning that the momentum gain during big parkour maneuvers is far less. I think that's an animation problem as much as a momentum problem, I'm not sure they could change the dodge to make it work that way. And as far as I know, it doesn't come with DR.

1 hour ago, tnccs215 said:

Sadly, dodge was more fluid. They gimped it for Lunaro.

They made it so you dodge in perspective to your character instead of your camera and they added a small cooldown period after you dodge where you cannot perform other actions. To this day I still shoot too early when I come out of a dodge at times.

11 hours ago, Xzorn said:

Sadly, dodge was more fluid. They gimped it for Lunaro.

They made it so you dodge in perspective to your character instead of your camera and they added a small cooldown period after you dodge where you cannot perform other actions. To this day I still shoot too early when I come out of a dodge at times.

I think dodge according to character direction instead of camera makes perfect sense: You have, after all, to dodge sideways.

Is the rest still applied to Limbo, though? I haven't noticed. Specially taking into account how rolling itself also has a moment before you can perform any action. If that is true, however, I agree it would be best if it that moment was removed or reduced -- there is no point in applying Lunaro rules to pve, after all.

3 hours ago, tnccs215 said:

I think dodge according to character direction instead of camera makes perfect sense: You have, after all, to dodge sideways.

Is the rest still applied to Limbo, though? I haven't noticed. Specially taking into account how rolling itself also has a moment before you can perform any action. If that is true, however, I agree it would be best if it that moment was removed or reduced -- there is no point in applying Lunaro rules to pve, after all.

Well, the really big issue with Limbo (at least for me) is the way that dodge interacts with bullet jump. Roll cancels the animation and builds more momentum, and still allows further parkour. This means that you can build up big amounts of speed midair and go farther, both by rolling and sliding/aimgliding. Dodge just doesn't work well with other parkour moves midair.

Furthermore, I have no trouble rolling and then shooting or rolling again right after, so I'm not sure if there's a period where you can't take any action but if there is it's very small. While I can dodge and then shoot just fine, doing slide->dodge or dodge->slide doesn't work so well.

It's been a bit since I messed with dodge since I don't really limbo often, I suppose I could mess with it again. Right now it's hard to be specific because I don't really use it.