Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to Mandachord: Lesson 1: The best case scenario

Buff00n

Question

This guide assumes you're able to read standard treble clef/bass clef music notation and are comfortable with key signatures.

Basics

Step one with doing a Mandachord transcription of a song is to figure out how to play the song, in its original key, on a "general" musical instrument.  

If the only musical instrument you have is the Mandachord itself then you're really working blind.  You might be able to make something happen, but it's going to be a struggle most of the time.  You really need something handy that you can play in any key signature, and be proficient enough with it to play basic melodies.  I highly recommend some kind of piano/keyboard, but you do you.

I can usually just listen to a piece of music (over and over again) and figure out notes by ear.  But if you don't have a good ear then there are other options to try.  Often just Googling the name of your song plus "synthesia" will give you a link to someone who's already figured out the notes and made "piano hero" style video showing how to play it.  If the part you're interested in is a guitar or bass guitar part, and you know how to read guitar tablature, then you might have more luck searching for the name of your song plus "tab".

You can only put eight seconds of music into the Mandachord, so you typically don't want to sit down and figure out how to play an entire song just to find one small section.  With enough practice you can tell just by listening if a section is likely to fit into the Mandachord's scale, but it takes a lot of practice.  I try to focus on the chorus of a song, some other section that repeats, or any section with a strong, clear melody.

About the Mandachord

The meter of the Mandachord is fixed at four measures of 4/4 at 120 beats per minute, with each measure separated into sixteenth notes.  In my experience the meter is a problem more often than tempo is.  But by far the biggest hurdle is the limited note choices.

The notes available on the Mandachord are the first five notes of the D Minor pentatonic scale.  Both melody and bass have the same five notes.  In order from bottom to top, they are:

GmHeqN6.png

Most songs are not in D Minor (or the relative key of F Major), so you should get comfortable with determining what key a song is in, and picking out the above pentatonic scale in that key, whatever it is.  I've found it's much easier to work in the song's original key as long as possible.

Dealing with percussion is typically much easier than the melody or bass, but you should still be familiar with what's available on the Mandachord.  For all instruments except Adau, the three percussions notes are basically:

Top: bass drum
Middle: snare drum
Bottom: hi-hat

Adau percussion is it's own separate thing.  Ironically, the default percussion is probably the hardest to work with and make it sound good.

Now that we have the basics, let's get down to lesson one.

The best case scenario

The best case scenario is when a song's melody fits exactly into the Mandachord's range, scale, and meter.  Melody is the most important part; your ear tends to focus on it.  It's the first thing I try to figure out when I'm looking at putting a song into the Mandachord.  If it fits perfectly then it's a winner, even if the bass and percussion aren't quite as perfect.

Here are three case studies provided by @NisuTHUG.  The first one is the mythical best case scenario.  The other two have some minor issues that we'll have to work through, but nothing major.

Case 1: Maria/I Like it Loud (Scooter) @1:46

Spoiler

Listening through this, the part at 1:46 immediately jumps out at me.  The melody goes like this:

nrUqc8r.png

It's in G# Minor, which is a pretty gnarly key to work with.  Here's what the pentatonic scale looks like in that key:

ZRpEkKK.png

All the notes in the melody are present, and in the same octave.  And the melody fits nicely into four bars of 4/4.  That's a home run!  

We're already pretty much set, but let's take a look at the bass line as well.  It goes like this:

V5IaGQk.png

This definitely does not fit on a Mandachord.  However, you generally have a lot more leeway with the bass.  This one is just a simple, alternating octave pattern.  With a bass line like that, the notes in the upper octave tend to stand out more, so we can just omit the lower ones and still get the same feel.  With that change, it reduces to two notes.  They easily fit within the first two notes of the G# Minor pentatonic scale:

Nrv6nc3.png

With the melody and bass figured out in the original key, this is usually the point where I open the Mandachord screen.  The Mandachord is not in the same key as this song, so the individual notes will sound different.  I usually enter the notes with the game sound off to avoid confusing my ear.  As long as I keep in mind where each note is in that key's pentatonic scale, then I know which note it is on the Mandachord.

If that's a little too much then you can first transpose it yourself into D Minor before going to the Mandachord.  Here's our melody and bass, transposed from G#m to Dm:

s7BJAzG.png

NTBlHgh.png

This is also where I start thinking about which instruments to use.  I don't have any firm rules on this; I usually just go with what feels right.  In this case, the melody is on the slow side and has some reverb in the original song, so I'll go with with Alpha.  For the bass I'll use Beta, mostly because I'm trying to get out of the habit of using Druk bass for everything.

The last thing I worry about is the percussion, because it's typically the easiest.  In this case it's almost trivial.  There's just a bass drum on the beats and hi-hat in between each one.  The Alpha percussion is a pretty good match for the sound of the original song.  In the original you can hear a little bit of snare-like sound at the end of each measure, but doing that with the Alpha snare is too overpowering, so I just doubled up the hi-hat.  All four measures are identical; percussion is almost always where I use the Mandachord screen's 'Copy Notes' function.

The original is a bit faster than 120bpm, so the Mandachord version sounds slower but is still easily recognizable.

The finished product:

Spoiler

Between the slower temp, different instruments sounds, and different key, nobody's going to mistake this for the original version of the song.  But it's a close partial match, and your brain is very good at turning a partial match into recognition.

Someone who's familiar with the original song should be able to recognize this without having to be told what it's supposed to be, which is the only criteria for success that matters.

Case 2: Deep Blue (K-391) @2:00

Spoiler

I listened through the song and found something promising at 2:00.  Here it is:

JJW1LwO.png

It looks complicated, but it's mostly just repeating the same note several times, then moving to a different note and repeating that.  You don't need to actually write a rhythm like this in standard Treble Clef notation in order to put it into the Mandachord, but you do need to figure out the rhythm in enough detail that you could if you wanted to.

Anyway, the key is in E Minor.  Here is the corresponding pentatonic scale in that key:

auNNr1D.png

Now we have a little bit of a problem.  Here's the melody again, but with notes that are not in the pentatonic scale marked in red:

NOVAP5b.png

That C is the sixth note in the E Natural Minor scale.  However, it's not there in the E Minor pentatonic scale.  We can't do this melody perfectly.  It's a shame, since it's just that one little section that's off.

Here's where you have to make a judgement call; either decide it's unworkable or find a way to work around it.  In this case, I figure the rest of it is good a enough match that I can just replace it with the nearest note and still get decent recognition.  The nearest available note would be the B, the fourth note on the Em pentatonic scale.  Here is the updated melody with that change:

lnxnHb5.png

Here's where being able to actually play a musical instrument helps, because I can try out this change out immediately.  It's noticeable, but not that bad. 

On to the bass line.  Here it is:

A6wIg9S.png

Uh-oh.  For comparison, here's the nearest Em pentatonic scale:

GvVA7i8.png

And here's the bass line again.  Notes missing from the pentatonic scale are marked in red, and notes that aren't missing but are in the wrong octave are marked in orange:

Lg9zPLS.png

The red notes are the C again, just like we saw with the melody.  Let's just do the same thing we did before and replace it with a B.  

The orange notes are the E, an octave higher than where the Mandachord has it.  We usually have more leeway with the bass line, so let's just move those down an octave.  

Here's the result:

DYDaNUZ.png

It's different, clearly.  But it still sounds close, has the right rhythm, and with the melody already a decent match I don't think it hurts recognizability. 

Now to start entering it into the Mandachord and picking some instruments.  

The melody has a lot of notes, which usually means you need either Beta or Gamma so they don't run together.  In this case I think Gamma sounds closer.

The bass has a fair number of notes, too, and in the original each note is pretty short, so I can't avoid Druk in this case.  A busy Druk bass line tends to overpower a Gamma melody, so I'll back off the volume on it a little bit.

The percussion doesn't seem to have any audible hi-hat, just a slightly syncopated snare and a bass on each beat.  The snare sound is pretty short, so I'll go with Delta, which has a nice, sharp snare.  After putting that into the Mandachord and listening to it, I noticed the Delta bass drum gets kind of lost, so I added in the hi-hat on the beat to emphasize it.  All four measures of percussion are identical, so I used 'Copy Notes' again.

The finished product:

Spoiler

This would be pretty difficult to get Metronome buffs with.  But the point of this exercise is to get something that's recognizable, not easy.

Case 3: The Fallen (Franz Ferdinand) @0:11

Spoiler

I listened through the whole thing before finally settling on the opening riff.  I actually looked up the guitar tablature to make sure I had it right.  It's a little hard to convert to piano because it's a guitar part and it includes a slide.  This is really something you have to experiment with until you find something that sounds right.  If you can't play it on a piano then you won't be able to play it on a Mandachord.  Anyway, this is what I ended up with:

1RtaIYH.png

It's in C Minor.  Here's the C Minor pentatonic:

vjimWzj.png

And here's the melody again, with problems highlighted:

9kDE2qi.png

Ab is the sixth note on the C Natural Minor scale, but it's not there in the pentatonic.  The missing sixth comes up a lot.  In this case, it goes by pretty fast so we can probably get away with replacing it with its nearest pentatonic neighbor, the G:

gpvbQGH.png

On to the bass line.  Again, I consulted the tablature to make sure I had it right.  There are two slides here, so it's another challenge to get it working on a piano.  Here's what I got:

hFsh7Uo.png

This time there are no problem notes.  It all fits perfect into the first five notes of the C Minor pentatonic.

Now to start entering it into the Mandachord.  For a rock instrumental, instrument choice is a no brainer: Druk across the board.

The percussion is basically a repeated drum break.  This can get annoying in practice, but I just went with it.

After listening, I dialed back the volume on the bass and percussion so you can hear the melody a little better.  The Druk melody is a little mushy with fast notes, but I still think it's more appropriate here than then any of the other ones.  I also removed the last note in each measure from the bass; trying to simulate that particular slide from the bass tablature didn't sound right.

The finished product:

Spoiler

I'm a little less happy with this one.  If I were to use it myself then I'd probably make the percussion part a little less busy, and probably lose a few notes in the melody to make it easier to get metronome buffs.

Other cases

Here are some other ones I've done that fall into the 'Best Case Scenario' category:

Thanks!

Thanks to @NisuTHUG for requesting a tutorial and giving me three good case studies!

If you made it this far, then thank you for reading!  If you would like to see more of these then let me know.  This one is just scratching the surface.

(If you want to request a song then please do it on my other thread)

Edited by Buff00n
formatting
  • Like 8

16 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Buff00n said:

With my current go-to song, I just have squat twice and I'm invisible.

Sounds like something I have to try, but tbh I completely lost interest in her as soon as I noticed how annoying a 10 second loop can be(and how limiting that is). And when I mute her she's just another cc/stealth frame... we have enough of that :/

Edited by O.O_

3 hours ago, Buff00n said:

381 Counterpoints

When it is that fun for you, good for you. For me it's pretty limiting and disappointing... No matter how good the loop is, listening to the same 10 seconds over and over again gets really annoying and (in my opinion) is not worth any effort. I rather play a real instrument instead of wasting (again, no offense, just explaining my point) my time with something I hate after a minute.

And on the jack of many trades part... that doesn't change the fact that we already have enough cc/buffs/stealth, it's nothing new... not even a best of.

That all said, 381 points say you have a lot of fun with that... go on, have fun.

First of all thanks for all the songs. Do you find yourself liking some of the songs requested that you would add them to your personal playlist or perhaps they help you rediscover some old forgotten songs? (English is not my first language, I could not have phrased that question any better, sorry)

27 minutes ago, Neofatum said:

First of all thanks for all the songs. Do you find yourself liking some of the songs requested that you would add them to your personal playlist or perhaps they help you rediscover some old forgotten songs? (English is not my first language, I could not have phrased that question any better, sorry)

Yeah, I like quite a lot of them.  Only a small number are so annoying I never want to hear them again ;)

I'm not really rediscovering many forgotten songs, but I'm definitely hearing a lot of stuff I've never heard before.

Here's what's in my playlist right now:

For use in game because they're cool and easy to trigger Metronome with:

For when I'm hanging out in a relay and want to annoy impress people:

Slot 10 is where I temporarily save works in progress.  I could really use about 400 more slots...

• Like 2

On 2017-05-12 at 8:21 PM, Buff00n said:

If the only musical instrument you have is the Mandachord itself then you're really working blind.  You might be able to make something happen, but it's going to be a struggle most of the time.

My background:
Music Tracking (Scream Tracker 3.21) sparked my interest in music when i was a kid, it tought me the core idea of music composing and arrangements in general, how the keys are grouped in families and fit together in chords, major/minor, #-nodes and so on. My main instrument is drums and I also play some piano and guitar. I never learned how to read actual musical nodes though. I cant sit down at a piano and play something as I read it from a node sheet. I understand the basics of them and how to see what key they are in but thats pretty much it.

Now to the point:

Im not sure what to think about the Mandachord. Its basically a 3 channel tracker (🤮) where you can only put one type of instrument in each channel (🤮🤮) rendering it very limited. Limits isnt a good thing when you are suppose to compose in it. I do understand that the game/engine isnt tuned for stuff like this but I feel that the Mandachord could have been much more dynamic still.

As reference, this is running on a 40 year old computer:

Sure, the sound quality is very poor. But if somethings gotta go, it must be the sound quality, we can live with that. Its about the content and the musicial idea.

Edited by horked

Impressive, almost 5-year necro!

1SDC66l.gif

That out of the way...

11 hours ago, horked said:

My background:
Music Tracking (Scream Tracker 3.21) sparked my interest in music when i was a kid, it tought me the core idea of music composing and arrangements in general, how the keys are grouped in families and fit together in chords, major/minor, #-nodes and so on. My main instrument is drums and I also play some piano and guitar. I never learned how to read actual musical nodes though. I cant sit down at a piano and play something as I read it from a node sheet. I understand the basics of them and how to see what key they are in but thats pretty much it.

Now to the point:

Im not sure what to think about the Mandachord. Its basically a 3 channel tracker (🤮) where you can only put one type of instrument in each channel (🤮🤮) rendering it very limited. Limits isnt a good thing when you are suppose to compose in it. I do understand that the game/engine isnt tuned for stuff like this but I feel that the Mandachord could have been much more dynamic still.

As reference, this is running on a 40 year old computer:

I remember when the best you could do on an IBM PC was rapidly alternating tones on the built-in speaker to simulate polyphony.

The Mandachord is an optional part of one out of 44 playable characters in a video game about space ninjas.  It's a toy, not a DAW, intended for people who don't know anything about music.  For that job it works pretty well.  It's quite easy for someone to come in with no experience and make something that sounds okay.  And you are prevented from the the more egregious ear-destroying dissonances, so the possibilities for trolling are somewhat limited.

That being said, I now have almost 4000 counterpoints that it's not as limiting as it seems.  I also wrote an app that lets me do full length songs with the same setup.

11 hours ago, horked said:

Sure, the sound quality is very poor. But if somethings gotta go, it must be the sound quality, we can live with that. Its about the content and the musicial idea.

To be perfectly frank, these days it feels like more emphasis is placed on sound quality than actual musical content, at least for music that's "popular".  Underneath all the production values, at least 75% of the requests I get turn out to be depressingly simple.

• Like 1

On 2022-03-02 at 9:33 PM, Buff00n said:

Impressive, almost 5-year necro!

1SDC66l.gif

That out of the way...

I remember when the best you could do on an IBM PC was rapidly alternating tones on the built-in speaker to simulate polyphony.

The Mandachord is an optional part of one out of 44 playable characters in a video game about space ninjas.  It's a toy, not a DAW, intended for people who don't know anything about music.  For that job it works pretty well.  It's quite easy for someone to come in with no experience and make something that sounds okay.  And you are prevented from the the more egregious ear-destroying dissonances, so the possibilities for trolling are somewhat limited.

That being said, I now have almost 4000 counterpoints that it's not as limiting as it seems.  I also wrote an app that lets me do full length songs with the same setup.

To be perfectly frank, these days it feels like more emphasis is placed on sound quality than actual musical content, at least for music that's "popular".  Underneath all the production values, at least 75% of the requests I get turn out to be depressingly simple.

Yeah, Warframe forum isnt exactly super active, which is a good thing indeed! 5 years on Warframe forum is 5 days in Minecraft fora (I assume)

Haha, "simulate polyphony" I know what you mean and yet it sounds weird :D

"It's a toy, not a DAW, intended for people who don't know anything about music." Well, yeah, I understand that, music is a toy! Or should be anyway... Its the DUPLO Lego vs. normal Lego, or normal Lego vs. Lego Technics debate. I dont believe in "dumping down" (in lack of better term) things to make it easier for newbies. People may get the idea that music is just that, simple and ez and just a DUPLO toy, while in truth its way beyond their comprehention, its a toy all-right but a complex toy. Just like chess is a game, but a complex one. Mandachord is abit like making a chess game where 3/4 of the pieces is taken away and the board is 3 squares.

I was like 13 years old when I first started to use Scream Tracker 3.21, I didnt know anything about music and I only used DOS at a very basic level, didnt know code or anyone else who used the program. We didnt have internet. For reference:

Not sure a kid in 2022 would be able to comprehend this... :/

My point is basically that I think people should be encouraged to use their brains! Its in the depth that it start to become interesting. Imagine if Mandachord was an actual mini workstation with 4 tracks, sampled actual instruments would drop in zones, planets or events. Players can record their own voice (lol, we would need an option to mute Mandachord in the games optionst too) and do some very basic simple DSP on it, heck, I dont think a vocoder will take a lot of resources even.

17 hours ago, Worbane said:

Been playing guitar and making music for 40 years (as best I can), and this post is way over my head, but props to Buf00n for all that. 😆 I wanted to put the main riff from my own song (below, I wrote it and I could not even tell you what key it's in) on it but could not find a way to do justice.

I've found with the mandachord, it's best to just make up some catchy, random melody of your own rather than try to do a real song on it with 5 sterile notes and 2+1 drum hits.

Hey not bad! Personally I would increase the tempo just a tad, but thats just me :D I really like the sound, crisp and dry.  Im not a guitarist but I know you guys are messing about with a ton of odd wired pedals, you too? Or the sound is done in the post edit? I dont like when people cut the bass almost entirely from the guitar-sound, nuts. Your sound is nicely meaty

10 hours ago, horked said:

I dont believe in "dumping down" (in lack of better term) things to make it easier for newbies. People may get the idea that music is just that, simple and ez and just a DUPLO toy, while in truth its way beyond their comprehention, its a toy all-right but a complex toy. Just like chess is a game, but a complex one. Mandachord is abit like making a chess game where 3/4 of the pieces is taken away and the board is 3 squares.

That's just the thing.  Music *is* easy.  Anybody can sing along to a song without knowing anything about music theory.  It's not some mystical voodoo that's beyond the reach of mortals.  People have been doing it for ten thousand years.

No matter how complicated your musical scoring is, it's always operating under some limiting rules.  Pentatonic scale, Diatonic scale, alternating Diatonic Minor and Melodic Minor, Jazz-style key modulation,  full Chromatic, Microtonal, or straight up Atonal.  Regardless of where you set your preferred complexity level, there's always a level above that which you're limiting yourself from.

The Pentatonic is a perfectly serviceable framework.  It's universal, and a clear building block of every level above it.  I'm always surprised at the number of songs requests I get that are in the key of F# Major/D# Minor, regardless of harmonic complexity, just because whoever wrote the melody was noodling around on the black keys on a piano.  I remember seeing a TED talk where some guy pulls the Pentatonic scale out of an decidedly non-musical audience from thin air.

Ah, found it.  It was freakin' Bobby McFerrin:

Anyway, I forgot what my point was. 

Even with the Shawzin, which does have access to full diatonic and chromatic scales, there are songs I can't do.  There's always something with more complexity than your chosen framework.  So if you're doing a silly minigame, why not pick something that's universal, easy to work in, and hard to mess up in.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

On 2022-03-06 at 12:47 AM, Buff00n said:

TED talk

Thats what I love about music, no matter how deep you dig there will always be the next level and regardless of what level you are on, you will always be rewarded.

teenage-engineering-PO-28-robot.jpg

We are in 2022, a full octave at least shouldnt be too much to ask :D

Edited by horked

3 hours ago, horked said:

We are in 2022, a full octave at least shouldnt be too much to ask :D

Haha, yeah, I fully admit I've been asking for the octave-high D since the beginning.  "Octavia" should have, you know, an octave.

• Like 1