Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe constantly blacks out after recent patch

Mickey1779

The latest patch now has Warframe constantly blacking out anywhere from a fraction of a second to 10s, does this while in your ship and during missions.  I experienced none of these blackouts while playing yesterday.

No other game or application causing issues, this only happens when Warframe is the active application.

Please fix ASAP as this has made Warframe totally unplayable.

On 5/13/2017 at 6:46 AM, Mickey1779 said:

The latest patch now has Warframe constantly blacking out anywhere from a fraction of a second to 10s, does this while in your ship and during missions.  I experienced none of these blackouts while playing yesterday.

Hi Mickey1779,

Can you please try verifying / optimizing your Download Cache via. the Warframe launcher settings? Just so we can rule out the possibility of this somehow being caused by missing or corrupt game files.

launcher01.png.9c939bf9f4d04e224db01bac9c45e69d.png

24 minutes ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Just so we can rule out the possibility of this somehow being caused by missing or corrupt game files.

Does updating the game often cause files to disappear or become corrupt?  Perhaps this is the reason behind my constant crashing whenever I use a relay for ducat purchasing or baro browsing.  Maybe I have a file missing?  I'll go verify immediately just in case.

3 hours ago, Xekrin said:

Does updating the game often cause files to disappear or become corrupt?  Perhaps this is the reason behind my constant crashing whenever I use a relay for ducat purchasing or baro browsing.  Maybe I have a file missing?  I'll go verify immediately just in case.

It shouldn't, but this is more of a precaution just in case something like that were to happen. With that said, yes, verify would be the ideal first step towards finding a solution to something like a Relay crash.

@[DE]Dmitri

I am typing here because I seem to experience the very same thing.

For some reason, after some recent patches, Warframe seems to mess with the graphics card drivers, which prompts Black Screen Of Death, thus forcing me to reboot. This BSOD crash always prompt a certain stress onto the PSU fan, maybe from stressing the GPU too much(?). It is a situation akin to  [url=https://forums.warframe.com/topic/620261-computer-shutting-itself-down-after-~5-minutes-of-play-since-185/]this thread[/url]:

I tried several workarounds: reinstalled my drivers (I run NVIDIA hardware), disabled some settings as per what explained in [url=
https://forums.warframe.com/topic/620252-solved-black-screen-cold-crashing-pc-nvidia/ ]this thread[/url], and even tried to optimize the cache. Nothing seems to work.

It's a very frustrating situation for me. I have yet to pin down the culprit, whether it's the game or Nvidia, but Warframe seems to be the only game in my library to cause this kind of stress, and my library is comprised of VERY graphics-heavy games that run otherwise smoothly. I have done plenty of stress-testing to rule out overheating.

Edited by Naaru

@[DE]Dmitri

Just so we're clear: optimizing the cache is not a working solution. I have yet to check if disabling DirectX 10 and 11 might be of help.

If you'd like to check my report on how I experienced this issue myself, please check my support ticket, ID 840122.

I am sure there are other players experiencing the very same thing, and it's a great deal of frustration.

@[DE]Dmitri

It seems that disabling DirectX10/11 on the game launcher offers a more stable game instance, at least in my case.

I have included the screenshots of the testing I've carried out, and reported them onto my open ticket.

Having this looked soon would be very welcome, given the highly disruptive nature of this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having issues with this. I'll  start the game and anywhere from immediately to 10 minutes in my computer shutsdown unexpectedly. I have updated drivers checked for interfering programs and all sorts of stuff but it only does it on warframe.

I too am experiencing this problem. The screen just turn black for a split second but the sound and game play still ran smoothly. It's like the game blinks.

I've optimize and verify my caches. Disabling directx option from launcher did not help. My Gpu is Rx 470 using driver version. 17.5.2.

Me and a friend of mine just ran into this issue as well.. I was playing and all of a sudden black screen, Still heard my music in the background but i couldn't alt F4 or tab out. Had to hard reset. came back on and tried to play but after about 10 seconds of being in game it auto changed resolution on me and i closed the game.. trying new drivers now and i verified cache and optimized as well.

Edit : I also disabled DX10/11 i don't know if this is a long term fix but i played for about an hour or so and didn't have anymore issues. If it happens again ill update.

Edited by Ravenwood01

I've hit this problem a few times myself, and I'm not sure exactly what causes the issue.

I have the latest Nvidia Driver Verison 382.33. On a Win 8.1 64-bit machine.
GTX 1080, Intel i7-6700k (no OC)

Edit: If it means anything, I'm playing on a new 2560x1440 monitor, with Nvidia's G-Sync technology. Running Warframe at 144Hz is really something compared to 60Hz. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, just thought I'd mention it.

My brother and myself have experienced this problem several times now. Where we are either just sitting in our Orbiters discussing what to do next, or playing in a mission. The screen will randomly cut to black almost like it does when you change input modes on your monitor, and will come back in a few seconds.

If anything, I pretty much can assume it's some problem with Nvidia/AMD display drivers and how they communicate with the Evolution Engine. Or just the Engine itself. Enough players have been having problems with this that I think it needs to be looked into a little bit.

It'd be nice if we could get some info on the situation, but for now I'll try disabling DX11. I don't run with DX10 and 11 checked at the same time normally.
Never had problems until just about 2-3 weeks ago.

I'm just hoping that whatever this problem is, or what is causing it, gets solved soon.
Luckily, this little bit of info will help diagnose the problem if there is one.

Edit: I have a friend who is running Driver Version 376.53 on Windows 10 64-bit with a GTX 1070. He hasn't experienced the aforementioned problem with displays cutting out while playing Warframe.

June 6th Edit: Turns out the stuttering was my fault, I had MSI Afterburner running in the background, making my fan speeds jump around while playing. Leading to those stutters I was getting. *sigh*

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy