Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Halloween Oberon Set: The Bramble (Finished)

Update time
I've retopologized the model down to the under 5k, the limit on helmets, and even though I'm still adding a smidge of sculpting here and there, and cleaning up the shadows and stuff, I think that it turned out okay. The back is the most in need of sculpting, on the horns, because it's rather featureless at this point.
It did end up too big like people were saying, so I resized it, but I think the majority of that comes from the sheer mass of the horns.

3ZiyNwj.png

O5m45r9.png

0dbPxAR.png

So yeah guys, coming up on the texturing and then the posting of this onto the workshop.

On 6/2/2017 at 7:56 AM, Wurdyburd said:

It's been a little and a couple iterations since I gave you guys an update, and Oberon Prime is officially out, so let's do this.

ryBUVbv.png

I got a little frustrated with trying to copy the biomech style guide of warframes, so I kind of went nuts and this is what I've got now.
I've lifted the head and horns above the pesky shoulder antlers that are on Oberon's classic model. I can try pulling the weight in on the front of the horns to compensate for the loss of mass towards the back.
I've tilted the head downward and shaved off a good deal of the nose, to give it more of the sleek streamlined feel that frames are supposed to have. Gives it a kind of Capra Demon look too.

I'm still working out the center of the face and chin, but I want to gauge what people think. Was the helmet with the snoot before better? Do the horns need more weight? Is it too organic looking right now?
Thanks for sticking around and commenting guys, I want to make sure that this is the kind of helmet people want to have in the game.

Give us a Demon Great Machete skin and we're all set for Capra Demon cosplay

Thanks everyone for your critiques, suggestions, and support. I realized the window on me getting this out at a regular pace is slowing down, and jumped around a bit to bring you this:
85Juio5.jpg
2yn0vB5.jpg

I'm still getting the channels exported and the Tint Map working, but hopefully this is the kind of stuff people have wanted to see.
I managed to add Channel 2 (Green) to more of the model than the concept, and a lot more uses of Channel 4 (Yellow). Ch4 is a bit tricky, since it's also the channel for gold on primes, but Oberon's standard scheme has a sort of golden yellow anyway, so it suffers the least.

The main forehead area doesn't have any of the blue gradients or speckles that I originally put in the concept, but I'd like to know if it looks okay without it? I still have a couple of days to make fixes to this before it absolutely needs to go on the workshop if it's going to have a chance to be picked.

24 minutes ago, Wurdyburd said:

Thanks everyone for your critiques, suggestions, and support. I realized the window on me getting this out at a regular pace is slowing down, and jumped around a bit to bring you this:
85Juio5.jpg
2yn0vB5.jpg

I'm still getting the channels exported and the Tint Map working, but hopefully this is the kind of stuff people have wanted to see.
I managed to add Channel 2 (Green) to more of the model than the concept, and a lot more uses of Channel 4 (Yellow). Ch4 is a bit tricky, since it's also the channel for gold on primes, but Oberon's standard scheme has a sort of golden yellow anyway, so it suffers the least.

The main forehead area doesn't have any of the blue gradients or speckles that I originally put in the concept, but I'd like to know if it looks okay without it? I still have a couple of days to make fixes to this before it absolutely needs to go on the workshop if it's going to have a chance to be picked.

I feel like adding some sort of symmetrical pattern on the forehead will make the area less bland. Maybe add it to the same channel as black or yellow(honestly I can't see where's the channel 4 you said).

1 minute ago, LogaMC1995 said:

I feel like adding some sort of symmetrical pattern on the forehead will make the area less bland. Maybe add it to the same channel as black or yellow(honestly I can't see where's the channel 4 you said).

Perhaps, but Oberon doesn't have a lot in the way of decals in the first place.

The five channels on Oberon are:
1) Off-white
2) Green plating
3) Dark blue
4) Yellow
5) Lights, blue

Oberon is very sparing with the yellow, and it's the same channel as his leaves and skirt in his Feyarch skin, so it usually ends up looking a bit odd on that. Yet on the same Feyarch skin, his entire upper body is keyed to the third channel, so I made the horns that to try and colour-match it.

I think the blue gradients should come back, they gave the horns a nice semi organic/metallic feeling that toned down the "I"m wearing a skull" feel and moved it back into technorganic styling more fitting in my opinion to warframes.

Finished converting the maps into a format Warframe can understand. Minor trouble with the tint map thing, but managed to get it working. There is a bit of a tint map in the middle of the face and on the edges of the... brows? Whatever they are, but they have about the same kind of gradient as standard oberon's third channel gray (his robe is a good example of it).

Feyarch

Edgelord Overdrive

Something for the guy who suggested a more frost giant thing:

Yellow.

36 minutes ago, Fox7000 said:

Im thinking how would it look on Oberon Prime. 

I couldn't find anything online of what colours are in Oberon Prime's channels. If I could, I would have put up a picture of what it'd look like on the prime, and I'm kind of disappointed that I couldn't find anything.

3 hours ago, Wurdyburd said:

Until I can decide if an edit or two are needed, I've uploaded the helmet to the the workshop.
If anyone is interested in supporting it with a vote, it can be found here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=947683342

Read a few steam comments. Mostly criticism about the size of the helmet. But I hope this will get selected coz it's different than another regular sized helmet.

13 minutes ago, LogaMC1995 said:

Read a few steam comments. Mostly criticism about the size of the helmet. But I hope this will get selected coz it's different than another regular sized helmet.

That and it's really the only helmet that looks like it wouldn't be out of place on Oberon Prime.

Honestly, it looks super low quality compared to the rest of the body and even the concept art. The textures aren't high resolution and the reflections are from before Oberon was PBR'd; you can clearly see the difference between Oberon's body and his helmet, both in texture and reflections. I think you should work more on it rather than rushing to be available for this TennoGen round.

And, although it was too big, I loved the bulkier face :( 

Edited by SoldierOS

7 hours ago, LokiTheCondom said:

@Wurdyburd maybe you wanna try panning over Oberon's shoulder to emulate how aiming will look like with the helmet on?

As I'd mentioned before, when aiming, Warframe's camera pushes the entire body so that the edge of the shoulder lies within the leftmost third of the camera frame, so that none of the body interferes with line of sight. If you look at the Baro shoulder cosmetic, the Ki'teer Sekhara, that are a holographic diamond floating off the shoulder, they project much farther out from the shoulders, compared to this helmet, where it barely reaches the shoulder's edge.
To help illustrate this, I got a screenshot of both regular camara Oberon, and aiming Oberon:
VdhZCUe.png
GRczSvw.png

As you can see, in neither case does Oberon's body interfere with line of sight to whatever the target is aiming at.

55 minutes ago, SoldierOS said:

Honestly, it looks super low quality compared to the rest of the body and even the concept art. The textures aren't high resolution and the reflections are from before Oberon was PBR'd; you can clearly see the difference between Oberon's body and his helmet, both in texture and reflections. I think you should work more on it rather than rushing to be available for this TennoGen round.

And, although it was too big, I loved the bulkier face :( 

It may largely be because the helmet actually has more bone-like texture and grooves, rather than being solid plates. It's something I was considering going back and fixing, but there's no disadvantage to updating the model afterward. The devs have even declared before that some helmets that previously needed work were accepted after they were updated.
Believe it or not, the textures are actually 2k resolution, the limit of what the game allows for helmets, but there's much more surface area to cover than on a regular helmet. I considered doubling up on UV space so that symmetrical surfaces could be better used, but that would create an issue with the lightning map, and none of Warframe's helmets shy away from using full UV space instead of half.
Regarding the PBR, I was actually not aware that Oberon had received PBR treatment. Apparently it was an undocumented change in an update a little more than a month ago, after I'd started working on the helmet. If I was aware of that change, I would have been working it into the helmet. As it stands, however, the reflective surfaces are actually using PBR, because it wasn't possible to get that kind of metallic shine with pre-PBR textures.
As popular as the square face was, the sleeker motorcycle helmet style is more in line with Warframe's style today, and honestly, I couldn't figure out how to give it the organic look that Oberon's other content share without shaving the nose down.

Just now, LokiTheCondom said:

Ah, fair enough. I guess this will shut those up who points out how the helmet obscure line of sight.

Assume we're all set now! Looking forward to seeing this helmet in-game since there's barely any Oberon Tennogen.

I do appreciate the concern. This helmet is much larger than probably any other helmet thanks to the ram horns, and it's the #1 complaint that's been posted about the helmet, both here and on the steam page. "It's too big."

Unfortunately there isn't a way to reach out to the commenters on the steam page with screenshots like these, because most people look, fire, and forget.
At this rate though, I do have to update the helmet anyway with Oberon's PBR textures, because I was unaware we actually had those now. My confidence that it could be picked for Tennogen is dropping, but all I can do at this point is go back and try to change it.

8 minutes ago, Wurdyburd said:

I do appreciate the concern. This helmet is much larger than probably any other helmet thanks to the ram horns, and it's the #1 complaint that's been posted about the helmet, both here and on the steam page. "It's too big."

Unfortunately there isn't a way to reach out to the commenters on the steam page with screenshots like these, because most people look, fire, and forget.
At this rate though, I do have to update the helmet anyway with Oberon's PBR textures, because I was unaware we actually had those now. My confidence that it could be picked for Tennogen is dropping, but all I can do at this point is go back and try to change it.

Just because it doesn't make it to Round 9 doesn't mean there won't be a Round 10 :laugh:

3 hours ago, LokiTheCondom said:

Just because it doesn't make it to Round 9 doesn't mean there won't be a Round 10 :laugh:

A plus side as well is that DE sends a message with why the item was not picked. So the creator can make changes in order to have a bigger chance next time.

1 minute ago, Airwolfen said:

A plus side as well is that DE sends a message with why the item was not picked. So the creator can make changes in order to have a bigger chance next time.

Really now? Well that's something new I learned. It's nice to know the reason I suppose.

Fingers crossed this helmet will pass.