Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Halloween Oberon Set: The Bramble (Finished)

Just now, Airwolfen said:

A plus side as well is that DE sends a message with why the item was not picked. So the creator can make changes in order to have a bigger chance next time.

Do you know this for certain? I've never heard of that happening to anyone, but if it's true, it would be an immense help toward any work I'm doing on the helmet. I'm still reeling a little from the realization that I've been working with the old textures instead of the new textures for about a month and a half, and I really want to be sure that I'm doing a good thing with the revision.

2 minutes ago, LokiTheCondom said:

Really now? Well that's something new I learned. It's nice to know the reason I suppose.

Fingers crossed this helmet will pass.

1 minute ago, Wurdyburd said:

Do you know this for certain? I've never heard of that happening to anyone, but if it's true, it would be an immense help toward any work I'm doing on the helmet. I'm still reeling a little from the realization that I've been working with the old textures instead of the new textures for about a month and a half, and I really want to be sure that I'm doing a good thing with the revision.

Jup. DE will make sure to give the reason in what issues they have with the skin.

Dont see many creators talking about what the feedback was though. Do know that both Hitsu-san and Yatus talked about it though in some capacity, as well as DE having posted it somewhere

10 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

Jup. DE will make sure to give the reason in what issues they have with the skin.

Dont see many creators talking about what the feedback was though. Do know that both Hitsu-san and Yatus talked about it though in some capacity, as well as DE having posted it somewhere

I'm wondering if they only do that for content above a certain approval rating, or for content creators that have submitted a few things already. Either way, I do want this helmet to go through, and WANT to be able to fix it, but it's difficult without feedback. Still, the community has supplied me with some, kind or not, and it's at least a jumping-off point.

6 minutes ago, Wurdyburd said:

I'm wondering if they only do that for content above a certain approval rating, or for content creators that have submitted a few things already. Either way, I do want this helmet to go through, and WANT to be able to fix it, but it's difficult without feedback. Still, the community has supplied me with some, kind or not, and it's at least a jumping-off point.

should be for all items that have not seen feedback yet.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:12 PM, Wurdyburd said:

We give feedback on items that are close to being accepted, but are being held back by certain design or technical issues. The intent is definitely to help creators get on par with other items already in the game, in hopes that it can be accepted at a later date. They're often tested in the engine as well.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:08 PM, Airwolfen said:

A plus side as well is that DE sends a message with why the item was not picked. So the creator can make changes in order to have a bigger chance next time.

Not every artist gets a special message from DE telling them that if they change X or Y, then they'll get a better chance for the next round.

4 hours ago, [DE]Syncrasis said:

We give feedback on items that are close to being accepted, but are being held back by certain design or technical issues. The intent is definitely to help creators get on par with other items already in the game, in hopes that it can be accepted at a later date. They're often tested in the engine as well.

Thanks for the clarification! Can I ask how close that 'close' is? I reckon that I'm not within that window, but it'd mean a lot to know exactly what kind of 'almost there' is needed to get a response from the devs.

On 14/05/2017 at 4:33 AM, Airwolfen said:

It looks really nice though one thing that strikes me as odd is the eyes that the helmet has. if you look through almost all the helmets you can see that they no not actually have them that visible. do not know if that would be a stopping point for tennogen. but personally I'd try to do something a bit more interesting with them to make it less obvious and basically fit more in the warframe artstyle of non obvious eyes.

I mean there are like 6 holes that have energy in pretty sure this could pass no eyes rule, it looks awesome.

4 hours ago, MrEugeneKrabs said:

I mean there are like 6 holes that have energy in pretty sure this could pass no eyes rule, it looks awesome.

*Ahem*old design*ahem*

My post was not on the current version of the helmet.

Edited by Airwolfen

I absolutely love this. It has character. To me, it's not worth getting a new helm for my warframes most of the time because a lot of them are way too similar to the base designs. This is great. would love to have it for my Oberon.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, LokiTheCondom said:

Any updates on this? @Wurdyburd

Nothing worth showing just yet, but as a quick rundown of what I've got on the list:

>Make a body skin.
One of the most agreed-on comments was that if the helmet had a body to go with it, then it's oddities might be excused, and it could boost popularity.

>Remove the bone texture from the helmet-proper.
This is one of the largest issues separating the Cernunnos from the rest of Warframe's style, so it needs to go.

>Redesign the front of the mouth.
One of the last things I did, and done when I was really kind of wiped for inspiration, and without a drawn reference to go on. It looks bad, needs fixing.

>Redesign the horns, entirely.
Even above the demand for a body texture, the horns were what really killed this helmet. The sheer mass of them, paired with how relatively featureless they were, made them feel poorly designed and uninspired for the most part. That, and the huge horns are antithematic to Oberon's slender antlers. That said, I want big ram horns, and that's what I'm going to do; however, the horns in the next iteration will be slender antlers woven into the approximate shape of ram's horns.

>Resculpt the texture/patterning of the skull head.
The third biggest issue reported by reviewers is that the helmet reads as a goat skull, which many felt didn't suit Oberon's fairy-king theme, and even suggested that the helmet be better for Nekros, of all things. While I like the helmet as it exists now, I was trying too hard to appeal to Oberon's original druid/paladin description, rather than the fey king that a lot of players, and his revised powers and skins, suggest that he is.

This all said, the next iteration of the helmet may appear entirely different than the current one. This will likely displease a lot of reviewers who were fans of the current version, but at the end of the day, this helmet was simply not enough to warrant DE's attention, and it was passed over without a comment.
Therefore, when I can get the time, I'm going to create a new helmet out of the ashes of this one. I'm considering calling it the Bramble, and make it more like a twisted wicker ram than a ram skull. Many of the comments regarding the Cernunnos name were complaints that the helmet didn't evoke enough of an image of Cernunnos, the Celtic god, despite it not entirely being my intentions for it to be a perfect namesake.

Concept art for the revised helmet will probably be up in a week or two.

2 hours ago, Wrum said:

this looks like its to big for Oberon's body.

As was noted many times, both by others in the thread, on the Steam workshop submission, and by myself in the exact prior message an hour earlier.

Most of the illusion comes from how horizontal the helmet is, and how dense the horns appear.

Ok maybe I can agree with few of the points, but gimme a break. Fits more on Nekros? He's literally skinnier than Oberon and the weight of the helmet would probably crush him. Some of these sounds sillier than constructive.

Perhaps you could update the texture with PBR and just leave it in the workshop while focusing on a new helmet.

1 minute ago, LokiTheCondom said:

Ok maybe I can agree with few of the points, but gimme a break. Fits more on Nekros? He's literally skinnier than Oberon and the weight of the helmet would probably crush him. Some of these sounds sillier than constructive.

Perhaps you could update the texture with PBR and just leave it in the workshop while focusing on a new helmet.

That said, I do understand that the helmet looks very skull-like, and that is more than enough to make some people think of Nekros. I disagree with the claims that rams and goats are satanic thus nekros though.

The Cernunnos helmet already does have PBR textures, but they don't currently match Oberon-Standard's materials, so I can try to fix those first.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.warframe.com/news/halloween-themed-tennogen

Ho
boi
ladies and gentlemen

So as an update for this, I was in fact contacted about the legitimacy of the Cernunnos helmet, and told a couple weeks ago that Aug.31 would be the next intake day
but I wasn't told anything about a halloween skin update, and let me tell you, halloween is my jam
If I wasn't already working to fix this helmet, I'd be slamming down to start a helmet already

But, such as it is, I've already got a ramskull-like helmet that works excellently as a base for the revision, so I'm going to keep at that. But, at least I have a new style goal to go for.
Stay tuned for some concept drawings! I wanna get them out by Monday so that I have a full month to remodel and retexture the helmet.

But not just the helmet! I'm designing an accompanying skin for Oberon to match, which should help sell the halloweeny aspect of the new helmet, that I'm considering redubbing The Bramble.

Stay tuned!

2 hours ago, Wurdyburd said:

Ho
boi
ladies and gentlemen

So as an update for this, I was in fact contacted about the legitimacy of the Cernunnos helmet, and told a couple weeks ago that Aug.31 would be the next intake day
but I wasn't told anything about a halloween skin update, and let me tell you, halloween is my jam
If I wasn't already working to fix this helmet, I'd be slamming down to start a helmet already

But, such as it is, I've already got a ramskull-like helmet that works excellently as a base for the revision, so I'm going to keep at that. But, at least I have a new style goal to go for.
Stay tuned for some concept drawings! I wanna get them out by Monday so that I have a full month to remodel and retexture the helmet.

But not just the helmet! I'm designing an accompanying skin for Oberon to match, which should help sell the halloweeny aspect of the new helmet, that I'm considering redubbing The Bramble.

Stay tuned!

Boi I cannot wait to see the complete Ramberon skin and helmet.

12 hours ago, Wurdyburd said:

Ho
boi
ladies and gentlemen

Stay tuned!

I hope it matches well with Oberon Prime tho, but yay for updates!

On 7/13/2017 at 5:06 PM, Wurdyburd said:

but at the end of the day, this helmet was simply not enough to warrant DE's attention, and it was passed over without a comment.

giphy.gif

Seriously DE? just wow.......I thought they gave feedback at least.

I wish you the best of luck Wurdyburd and hope the best for the next take on the helm, you'll still have this old goats support. 

10 hours ago, Slander630 said:

giphy.gif

Seriously DE? just wow.......I thought they gave feedback at least.
I wish you the best of luck Wurdyburd and hope the best for the next take on the helm, you'll still have this old goats support. 

Though this was originally the case, I'm happy to say that DE got in touch with me around two weeks ago with feedback on the helmet! As I said in my more recent posts, they pointed out the things that they felt weren't up to par, and told me about the new intake that would be taking place on Aug.15th.