Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Battlyst

BetaNoire

Question

Trying to defeat this thing in Second Dream.

I'm dealing 1's with my KOhm, but also with my Twin Gremlins. But not at first. It adapts to my slash, then also my bash - at the same time. Both of my ranged weapons.

What do the do the colors mean?

15 minutes ago, BetaNoire said:

I'm dealing 1's with my KOhm, but also with my Twin Gremlins. But not at first. It adapts to my slash, then also my bash - at the same time. Both of my ranged weapons.

dunno what you mean by colors but the sentients will adapt to 4 damage types just make sure you have 3 weapons with the widest variety of damage types that you can manage and it'll work out. or just do what i do and cheese it with hysteria valkyr.

As a general rule of thumb when dealing with Sentients, high-ROF weapons are bad, because the Sentients adapt too fast for them to be effective. What you'll want, aside from varying elements, are weapons that have very high burst damage, like the Tigris Prime, or Opticor, or Dread. In terms of secondaries, the Lex Prime works adequately, along with the Euphona Prime, as well as the Brakk. Melee weapons generally are a bad idea, but if you have too, most heavy blades work fine, along with other such heavy melee weapons.

17 minutes ago, Wrum said:

dunno what you mean by colors but the sentients will adapt to 4 damage types just make sure you have 3 weapons with the widest variety of damage types that you can manage and it'll work out. or just do what i do and cheese it with hysteria valkyr.

They change colors.

13 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

As a general rule of thumb when dealing with Sentients, high-ROF weapons are bad, because the Sentients adapt too fast for them to be effective. What you'll want, aside from varying elements, are weapons that have very high burst damage, like the Tigris Prime, or Opticor, or Dread. In terms of secondaries, the Lex Prime works adequately, along with the Euphona Prime, as well as the Brakk. Melee weapons generally are a bad idea, but if you have too, most heavy blades work fine, along with other such heavy melee weapons.

Is Angstrum magazine too small?

Colors indicate the last "element" they've adapted to and, if I recall correctly, the damage they're doing to you.

To avoid doing no damage to them, put numerous elements on your weapons and they cannot build a resistance to all of your damage. High damage guns tend to work best, as said above. Explosives being the exception because they have fewer elemental types at their disposal.

Also, stay out of melee range. Bad decision unless you have something like Inaros, Chroma, or Valkyr with a superbly-modded weapon.

Sentients are a royal pain. They get easier as you get better mods, and with the new The War Within (TWW) quest they become much more manageable. However, the phenomenon you're seeing is their adaptive quality. After three ticks of the same type of damage they start to develop a resistance to the point of pretty much total resistance. The trick, as I understand it, is to use a high damage weapon right out the gate (Tigris, perhaps?) that has enough to take them down before they develop resistances. You could also bring various damage types with you on your different weapons, and try to whittle them down with the variety. As for the colors, I believe they represent the various resistances they develop? Once you complete TWW there is a trick you learn to get around their resistances.

3 hours ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

It adapts to Tigris Prime per-pellet, so same results as high RoF.

But it will still break 3 of their damage gates, so pull out a euphona or redeemer with 2 more damage types and alt fire/charge shot for the kill.

Edited by Callback

Weapons like the Burston or Twin Gremlins are a good take on the Sentients problem, especially with some elemental mods. Even if these are not your favourite / most powerful weapons, you might consider taking one with you as a side-arm, whenever you do something on Lua.

49 minutes ago, Callback said:

But it will still break 3 of their damage gates, so pull out a euphona or redeemer with 2 more damage types and alt fire for the kill.

D: I need prime weapons now. I'm only MR 5.

Press 5 to go into Operator mode.

Press LMB for Void Beam to strip the Sentients of their damage immunity/resistance.

Press 5 again to go back into your Warframe. Shoot at them with your weapons again.

Rinse and repeat till they are dead.

TL;DR - Use Operator mode's Void Beam to remove immunity/resistance.

1 hour ago, PierceSG said:

Press 5 to go into Operator mode.

Press LMB for Void Beam to strip the Sentients of their damage immunity/resistance.

Press 5 again to go back into your Warframe. Shoot at them with your weapons again.

Rinse and repeat till they are dead.

TL;DR - Use Operator mode's Void Beam to remove immunity/resistance.

If I'm not mistaken, this is useless until you have done the "War within" quest. The OP by definition of currently doing the Second Dream quest, has not.

2 hours ago, Kihana said:

If I'm not mistaken, this is useless until you have done the "War within" quest. The OP by definition of currently doing the Second Dream quest, has not.

You are right, I might have skipped over that part. 

14 hours ago, (Xbox One)Spaztic Magic said:

Sentients are a royal pain. They get easier as you get better mods, and with the new The War Within (TWW) quest they become much more manageable. However, the phenomenon you're seeing is their adaptive quality. After three ticks of the same type of damage they start to develop a resistance to the point of pretty much total resistance. The trick, as I understand it, is to use a high damage weapon right out the gate (Tigris, perhaps?) that has enough to take them down before they develop resistances. You could also bring various damage types with you on your different weapons, and try to whittle them down with the variety. As for the colors, I believe they represent the various resistances they develop? Once you complete TWW there is a trick you learn to get around their resistances.

could you please explain what that trick is?

If you're trying to defeats entients for the second dream, it's best to simply bring weapons outfitted for raw damage. As previously stated, after taking a certain amount of damage, sentients will adapt to the damage type they have recieved the most, meaning you'll deal greatly reduced damage with that damage type. Bring weapons outfitted with two elemental damage types if you're looking to deal the most damage with one weapon. Also bring a secondary weapon with a main damage type different from your primary. If you're engaging in melee with a sentient, it's best to end it quick, so I would bring a heavy, hard-hitting melee with damage types different from your primary and secondary weapons if you plan on using it against the sentients, and I would hold off on using it until the last 33% of the sentients' health or less.

From a warframe perspective, abilities such as mesa's peacemaker, nova's antimatter drop, and valkyr's hysteria should be capable of dealing good damage to sentients, and some crowd control effects do work against them. If I remember correctly, they are not vulnerable to suspension(a la vauban) or blinds, but they are vulnerable to the "panic" effect caused by nidus' maggots, and I believe they are vulnerable to equinox' and nova's slows. Frost can also freeze sentients for a short period, and I would presume that atlas could petrify them as well.

On 15.05.2017 at 8:30 PM, BetaNoire said:

Play as one of the exalted users. I mean, Excal, Valkyr etc.

On 5/15/2017 at 3:28 PM, Callback said:

That doesn't seem to be the case, as the pellets impact it's hitbox at the same time. It deals standard damage on the first hit, and then scales off, which is what it's supposed to do. High-RoF weapons will be adapted to after the first bullet, thus significantly reducing their damage over time.

1 hour ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

That doesn't seem to be the case, as the pellets impact it's hitbox at the same time. It deals standard damage on the first hit, and then scales off, which is what it's supposed to do. High-RoF weapons will be adapted to after the first bullet, thus significantly reducing their damage over time.

It is the case.  If it were counting as 1 shot it could only gain 1 resist from it.  It gains 3 instantly.  Try it with a powerful single hit (no multishot) buffed by Ivara's navigator or some such.

Just an experiment I did this weekend: I used Nidus, equipped with Hirudo, and I believe it was corrosive damage on the Hirudo. I went in like a loon and melee-ed up a storm. Turns out, it worked! I've repeated this no less than three times, taking down Sentients single handedly. Sure, my sentinel died, but I was fine. I'm pretty sure it's a game of outlasting them with this setup. I won't say it's the quickest method, but it worked for me. I received no lack of pleasure from pummeling them with extreme prejudice either. :satisfied:

If you are having problems with the Sentients, just bring Mag and use Bullet Attractor. As long as you have a decent weapon, you will likely mow it down long before it can adapt to anything. I usually do it with the Strun or Twin Grakatas this way.

On 5/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, Callback said:

But it will still break 3 of their damage gates, so pull out a euphona or redeemer with 2 more damage types and alt fire/charge shot for the kill.

Not quite. It is true it will adapt to each pellet's damage type, but it's not the same result at all.

The whole point of a burst weapon such as shotguns is that you can land several shots that will shave huge chunks of the Sentient's HP before it actually adapts to it, while high RoF will be just chipping small portions of it's HP when it adapts.

Maybe a little bit different of an approach, but if you have ivara, navigator+ glaive weapon works really well.  If you catch them going the right speed on the move, you can get multiple hits within a second.  Go for headshots for even faster results.  Takes a reasonable amount of time with minimal damage on yourself.  

I'd say bring weapons based around status, and put on three different statuses, also make sure to bring weapons that shoot slowly but do massive damage with each shot.  For example, most shotguns are good.  For the statuses, if you bring three different ones, when the Battalyst adapts to one of them, pull out your next weapon, and by the time you get to your third weapon it should be low enough to switch back to you strongest weapon and finally take it. 

On 22/05/2017 at 10:30 PM, (Xbox One)Spaztic Magic said:

Just an experiment I did this weekend: I used Nidus, equipped with Hirudo, and I believe it was corrosive damage on the Hirudo. I went in like a loon and melee-ed up a storm. Turns out, it worked! I've repeated this no less than three times, taking down Sentients single handedly. Sure, my sentinel died, but I was fine.

I've done this. It's not the damage type you have on Hirudo that matters. The critical strike life steal bypasses sentient immunity. Lay down the spawning grounds for good measure and they can't touch you.

It really shouldn't work since it's % based, but work it does. I'm guessing the life steal is calculated before the damage immunity is accounted for.

Edited by Kihana

Dealing with this currently. Excal chomped through one, but the other adapted too quickly and I made the mistake of having Braton P and Sonicor, which take too may rounds to get the job done. Honestly, it's a garbage fight; some frames and weapons are so ridiculously much better than others that it's like the devs just don't give a crap at all about player experience. A design were the meta is bring OP cheese frame and cheese weaps is never good; it's even worse in that all the people who talk about how easy it is are in primed and rare mods out the wazoo with potatoes and full forma on their frames and, in general, prime weaps. At this point in the game a player would have to be very seriously dedicated to farming--to the point that for many it would cease to be fun--or have thrown a ton of plat at it to make that happen.

I have seen one and only one video and only a handful of posts acknowledging that they are not easy enemies to take down for newer players. They would still be OP with their OHK disco balls and laser light shows even in a group, but manageable if nothing else; the problem is that this game tends to have fewer and fewer public groups doing missions as you progress. I can always ask in my clan and such, but I thought Warframe would offer the experience that I enjoyed at the beginning of running with randoms as I progress, but outside of Alerts and such that's becoming less and less the case the further I get into the star chart.

TLDR: they will eat you alive as a new kid on the block and neither DE nor many of the most vocal vets care that they are poorly designed enemies in major need of a rework to be a challenge rather than something that either wipes the floor with you or you with them.