Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[rare encounter concept] Space Wildlife : "Devourers", giant ship eaters (WIP)

DeadScream

1 hour ago, DeadScream said:

Wow this Godzilla scene is exactly what I was imagining for an Eater attack haha 

I didn't think abou the void as an origin, but this could open to nice things ! 

I'm still trying to think about some things to improve the concept : 

• Lore : I'm not fully against the Orokin influence, but I would like these creatures to be "aliens". Just "aliens". But, as our universe is full of intelligent or influencing beings, there could be some strong variations in the Eater species : void corrupted, infested, orokin modified
  • The very rarest encounter : the Leviathan. It's basically an Eater which managed to live long enough to eat a great number of ships, and got so big it could not be defeated by conventional weaponry. This one could be part of a big event where we have to stop it with the help of the Syndicates to prevent it from eating a whole planet. 
  • And the craziest idea of all : the tameable Eater Larva. As a clan feature, this could lead 4 clan members to a special mission where they have to "sky dance" around the larva to tame it. The larva would then slowly grow up around the clan dojo and your clan would have to feed it with big amounts of metallic resources. The grown up tamed Eater could then be used for potential new clan events where the dojo would be attacked / etc. 

All these ideas come from discussion with you guys, so I have to say thanks for your replies and don't hesitate to tell me if I have bad ideas in there :) 

I love your ideas :D

by the way I remembered boss battle from another game that could be good inspiration for your idea:

I've seen several plants across many planets (including the moon) perhaps some plants could have been thrown out with junk in the void and evolved in some way like the tenno have but much worse as it stayed exposed alot longer. I don't know, just a thought lol.

Edited by Helios1414

13 hours ago, Culaio said:

I love your ideas :D

by the way I remembered boss battle from another game that could be good inspiration for your idea:

I think I've already seen this video somewhere, maybe I already posted a space worm concept by the past lol 

1 hour ago, Helios1414 said:

I've seen several plants across many planets (including the moon) perhaps some plants could have been thrown out with junk in the void and evolved in some way like the tenno have but much worse as it stayed exposed alot longer. I don't know, just a thought lol.

Hek, why not lol

I Would love the concept of a faction, syndicate raid thingy where a bunch of people come to help defeat this huge leviathan. I wish there could be a 16 person mission with all the factions members and clan members participating in one battle to defeat a certain part of the Leviathan. Other than that, one of the best suggestions and fan concepts I've ever seen.

My bit on how it should be introduced is in an operation!

A Corpus, Grineer, or even a Syndicate big shot tells you about a mysterious creature devouring ships, and only the Tenno have the skill to destroy it.

Killing the "Devourer"(my personal pick for a name) garners exclusive mods and lump sums or resources ,and a special gun from the protagonist in the end. There could even be a special mission to exterminate these things...(DEVOURER INVASION MISSIONS!)

BTW, love the idea OP, hope DE recognizes this.

4 hours ago, (PS4)ssekame said:

I Would love the concept of a faction, syndicate raid thingy where a bunch of people come to help defeat this huge leviathan. I wish there could be a 16 person mission with all the factions members and clan members participating in one battle to defeat a certain part of the Leviathan. Other than that, one of the best suggestions and fan concepts I've ever seen.

I realized it could be a 8 syndicates battle if the Devourer is attacking a relay. There would be a bit of work to put in defences and maybe syndicate star fighters, but all of these could be used for more syndicate features after this :) 

I'll probably work on a clan feature for this concept, and a big event for the implementation of the Devourers. 

Big thank you for your support ! 

1 hour ago, Warlord1400 said:

My bit on how it should be introduced is in an operation!

A Corpus, Grineer, or even a Syndicate big shot tells you about a mysterious creature devouring ships, and only the Tenno have the skill to destroy it.

Killing the "Devourer"(my personal pick for a name) garners exclusive mods and lump sums or resources ,and a special gun from the protagonist in the end. There could even be a special mission to exterminate these things...(DEVOURER INVASION MISSIONS!)

BTW, love the idea OP, hope DE recognizes this.

Definately replaced "Eater" by "Devourer" in the OP :) 

It sounds better ha ha. 

I still have to work on the potential event for the introduction, but I think Syndicates could be a good pick. As said above, maybe a Leviathan class Devourer would have been attracted by the remains of a wrecked relay, and it would have been able to come here because of heavy space distorsions caused by the Grineer Fomorian's powerful attacks. 

Oooooo! Another fellow inspired to have big things to fight! I have a set of "Sentient Terramorphs" over in the Pit that I'd love to Pit against this thing if it ever came to roost in the Tau Cheti system!

One thing though that kind of ties into said shebang though, do these titans ever make planetfall?

18 minutes ago, Unus said:

Oooooo! Another fellow inspired to have big things to fight! I have a set of "Sentient Terramorphs" over in the Pit that I'd love to Pit against this thing if it ever came to roost in the Tau Cheti system!

Sounds awesome :B 

18 minutes ago, Unus said:

do these titans ever make planetfall?

Ehh, do you mean, do they ever crash on planets instead of always staying in space ? :O 

I didn't think about this question, however this would probably imply a lot more work to put in the feature lol 

5 minutes ago, DeadScream said:

Sounds awesome :B 

Ehh, do you mean, do they ever crash on planets instead of always staying in space ? :O 

I didn't think about this question, however this would probably imply a lot more work to put in the feature lol 

Oh, my apologies, I didn't know things were still in a work-in-progress stage! Must be way to used to having everything all thought out and written up st once. Carry on suh/mam!

Just now, Unus said:

Oh, my apologies, I didn't know things were still in a work-in-progress stage! Must be way to used to having everything all thought out and written up st once. Carry on suh/mam!

I'm gonna add WIP in the thread's title ;) 

BTW where is your sentient thingie you talked about ? I didn't see it on your concept pit thread :O 

3 minutes ago, DeadScream said:

I'm gonna add WIP in the thread's title ;) 

BTW where is your sentient thingie you talked about ? I didn't see it on your concept pit thread :O 

Oh, the Miltquitque Terramorphs? Here, you can skip the story at the beginning and go right to the bottom to meet em.

5 minutes ago, Unus said:

Oh, the Miltquitque Terramorphs? Here, you can skip the story at the beginning and go right to the bottom to meet em.

Wow. 

Looks like you've put incredible amount of time into this thread, you have very good ideas ! 

Dem Sentient thingies would totally stop the Devourer and make it dance around the planet just for the sake of it, but I still have to create the Leviathan, the Infested Devourer, and the Corrupted Devourer :D 

Ehh.. Still not enough. 

I think it is good , but, this game is not a single player design even though you can do it, so if you are not a full squad this devour er of ships will not show at all and no bonuses applied, not enough of a target for its effort too attack. that is my opinion.

13 minutes ago, DeadScream said:

Wow. 

Looks like you've put incredible amount of time into this thread, you have very good ideas ! 

Dem Sentient thingies would totally stop the Devourer and make it dance around the planet just for the sake of it, but I still have to create the Leviathan, the Infested Devourer, and the Corrupted Devourer :D 

Ehh.. Still not enough. 

I most certainly have. It's my creative stressball, with a hint of hopeless dreaming mixed in for good measure. As for good? Eh, maybe some of em, votes seem to suggest a few are.

I dunno, maybe the Corrupted might givem a run for their money and we've yet to see how they interact with the fested.

2 hours ago, leadwolf1 said:

I think it is good , but, this game is not a single player design even though you can do it, so if you are not a full squad this devour er of ships will not show at all and no bonuses applied, not enough of a target for its effort too attack. that is my opinion.

I fear I didn't understand your post, do you mean the Devourer shouldn't attack when playing with a non-full squad ? Or that, somehow, my concepts lets understand that it wouldn't work at all if the squad is not full ? 

Sorry I lack some english skills so I sometimes misunderstand everything lol

24 minutes ago, DeadScream said:

I fear I didn't understand your post, do you mean the Devourer shouldn't attack when playing with a non-full squad ? Or that, somehow, my concepts lets understand that it wouldn't work at all if the squad is not full ? 

Sorry I lack some english skills so I sometimes misunderstand everything lol

I think that it should not attack unless the squad is full. it sounds to me like this is suppose to be supper powerful, so it should take a whole squad working together to defeat it. it is like having one peanut, does not get anyone's attention. now 4 chocolate cover peanuts might just be enough of a meal until of course the lor of 8 ships is a fine dinning experience. just my opinion.

I also think this should be added in the time when the ships are in flight screen and not the actual mission, hence ship devour. could even make it random might happen might not . and should give an extra award.  for instance attacking a LOR raid gives an extra arcane and so on kuva would be extra of that. just a few of my opinions to share do not have to agree.

5 minutes ago, leadwolf1 said:

I think that it should not attack unless the squad is full. it sounds to me like this is suppose to be supper powerful, so it should take a whole squad working together to defeat it. it is like having one peanut, does not get anyone's attention. now 4 chocolate cover peanuts might just be enough of a meal until of course the lor of 8 ships is a fine dinning experience. just my opinion.

I understand now :) 

Gameplay wise you are right, it has to be a "boss fight" so it may be difficult for a solo player. But it's still a standard archwing fighting with no particularly complex mechanics. If I had to restrict it, it would be at least 2 persons in the squad but not necessarily a full squad. However difficulty is always adapted when you are playing solo, sometimes it makes missions ridiculously easy. So I'll stop at "concept", and if, someday, by any chance, DE ever feel like implementing such feature in their game, I guess it's their role to decide how it works ^-^ 

As I created it, it's mostly a giant archwing stalker which is not stalking you, but starships :) 

4 minutes ago, leadwolf1 said:

I also think this should be added in the time when the ships are in flight screen and not the actual mission, hence ship devour. could even make it random might happen might not . and should give an extra award.  for instance attacking a LOR raid gives an extra arcane and so on kuva would be extra of that. just a few of my opinions to share do not have to agree.

Here I have to disagree indeed though. I think this has to be a critical mission changer with opportunity for nice rewards. Shouldn't happen before the mission imo ^^ 

For the raid thing, yes I agree. As I said for the Kuva exception, when the Devourer attacks a planet near the Kuva fortress, even more when it's a kuva siphon or flood mission, you should have an extra Kuva reward. Same would go for Jordas :D 

But not LOR because it's Earth tileset, no space ship involved :) 

Thanks for your comments, it allows me to think about some things I didn't take into consideration. 

Ok

14 minutes ago, DeadScream said:

I understand now :) 

Gameplay wise you are right, it has to be a "boss fight" so it may be difficult for a solo player. But it's still a standard archwing fighting with no particularly complex mechanics. If I had to restrict it, it would be at least 2 persons in the squad but not necessarily a full squad. However difficulty is always adapted when you are playing solo, sometimes it makes missions ridiculously easy. So I'll stop at "concept", and if, someday, by any chance, DE ever feel like implementing such feature in their game, I guess it's their role to decide how it works ^-^ 

As I created it, it's mostly a giant archwing stalker which is not stalking you, but starships :) 

Here I have to disagree indeed though. I think this has to be a critical mission changer with opportunity for nice rewards. Shouldn't happen before the mission imo ^^ 

For the raid thing, yes I agree. As I said for the Kuva exception, when the Devourer attacks a planet near the Kuva fortress, even more when it's a kuva siphon or flood mission, you should have an extra Kuva reward. Same would go for Jordas :D 

But not LOR because it's Earth tileset, no space ship involved :) 

Thanks for your comments, it allows me to think about some things I didn't take into consideration. 

Ok Well, now I get it you mean the starships surrounding the planets  not the transport ships we now use to get there. so with your concept then ,  you only get so much time to finish the mission you went in to do , then if you succeed ordis deploys the arc wing and you have to kill this boss as well and then fly in your arc wing to extraction point? is this the concept?

4 minutes ago, leadwolf1 said:

Ok

Ok Well, now I get it you mean the starships surrounding the planets  not the transport ships we now use to get there. so with your concept then ,  you only get so much time to finish the mission you went in to do , then if you succeed ordis deploys the arc wing and you have to kill this boss as well and then fly in your arc wing to extraction point? is this the concept?

Yeap, it's inspired by the first archwing teaser we got back in the days : 

1 hour ago, DeadScream said:

Yeap, it's inspired by the first archwing teaser we got back in the days : 

The only issue I see with this is , the atlas frame you needed to go fight golem for it and it was very hard to get anyone to run it. I personally soloed it to get my frame. it was same concept, as for a boss fight, players did not want to assist or run it.

Some ideas related to variants you mentioned:

- Void corrupted Devourer could be devourer that attacked that was entering void(I remember reading something that void towers are actually orokin ships inside of the void) and got pulled in, being stuck his body changed like tenno bodies did, giving them unique void based abilities, I can imagine void corrupted devourer to look slightly transparent, this is kinda inspired by metroids, phazon and metroid prime core from metroid series but I am afraid that transparent devourer could look too similar to ghost leviathan from subnautica.

- Orokin modified devouer - I dont have much for its lore but I can imagine it being heavily armored and equiped with many weapons, possibly possesing shields.

I can imagine either void corrupted and/or orokin modified devourer to posses somekind of beam attack from their mouth, for void version it could be large scale version of beam ability operators can use with their hand, and for orokin version it could be some kind of beam weapon installed inside of their mouths. By the way I am not saying this is inspired by godzillia's atomic breath but its inspired by godzilla's atomic breath....;p

18 hours ago, leadwolf1 said:

The only issue I see with this is , the atlas frame you needed to go fight golem for it and it was very hard to get anyone to run it. I personally soloed it to get my frame. it was same concept, as for a boss fight, players did not want to assist or run it.

Yeap, as someone said on the first comment page, this may be an awesome feature ONCE archwing is fixed. The archwing concept is very promising, but it feels like it was never finished. Most of our enemies are still place holders, for example :) 

3 hours ago, Culaio said:

Some ideas related to variants you mentioned:

- Void corrupted Devourer could be devourer that attacked that was entering void(I remember reading something that void towers are actually orokin ships inside of the void) and got pulled in, being stuck his body changed like tenno bodies did, giving them unique void based abilities, I can imagine void corrupted devourer to look slightly transparent, this is kinda inspired by metroids, phazon and metroid prime core from metroid series but I am afraid that transparent devourer could look too similar to ghost leviathan from subnautica.

- Orokin modified devouer - I dont have much for its lore but I can imagine it being heavily armored and equiped with many weapons, possibly possesing shields.

I can imagine either void corrupted and/or orokin modified devourer to posses somekind of beam attack from their mouth, for void version it could be large scale version of beam ability operators can use with their hand, and for orokin version it could be some kind of beam weapon installed inside of their mouths. By the way I am not saying this is inspired by godzillia's atomic breath but its inspired by godzilla's atomic breath....;p

I love your Void corrupted one ! As soon as i find some time I will work on the "big" variants. 

Not sure if I want an Orokin modified one though ^^ 

13 minutes ago, Stonehenge said:

Geez OP i love this concept.

This is what we all need in our lives in space.

Aww, you will make me cry =^-^=