Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do people believe Universal Vacuum will encourage players to use pets?

Music4Therapy

Because here is the reality of the situation.

If the universal vacuum is weaker than the Sentinel version, people will just continue to use Sentinels. If it's just as good or better, it'll just open up another mod slot for our sentinels because as it stands they largely outperform pets.

Here is a summary of the pros and cons of pets and my proposition:

Pets can be revived by picking up health orbs and contrary to popular belief actually have some solid utility in addition to their great survivability. Kavat armor stripping, additive crit chance similar to Maiming Strike, etc... Kubrow Dig for ammo/energy/ls, CC on priority targets, priority target lockdown, etc...

Pets currently have 2 major issues preventing them from being as successful as they could be:

1) Poor AI.

2) The extreme amount of forma required to allow a pet to thrive is a large investment, especially when pets tend to get stuck in walls and can be inconsistent.

-----------

My proposition?

1) Fix the AI and give the pet commands. A /reset option that would summon your pet would go a long ways towards fixing them being stuck in walls. 

Simple commands such as;

A) Focus priority targets.

B) Take out the trash mobs.

C) Stay close.

D) Stay at X location.

... would go a long way.

2) Then, give pets an aura slot.

This would make sense, the bond between the pet and the owner should give some sort of statistical increase to the owner (allies too?) Because right now the relationship is one sided, with the pet benefitting statistically from the owner and not vice versa. This would also help with the 2nd problem and lower the amount of investment required to have a decent pet. Edit: Just to elaborate, the auras available to the pets would be kubrow/kavat exclusive. Not saying pets should get CP.

EDIT:

**PLEASE READ** - We are specifically speaking about Sentinels and Pets if Vacuum was taken out of the equation. I am trying to have an intelligent conversation about Sentinels vs Pets assuming both have Vacuum. Please do not turn this into a "omg Vacuum es #1" thread as many players are making it out to be.

Edited by Music4Therapy

Well honestly, I think I'd use my Kavat because it is way more fashionframy than my Carrier Prime (no offense my flying ballsack !).

But yeah, Universal Vacuum won't solve the problem in my opinion... Because Sentinels are strong and have very interesting weapons - that have access to Riven.

i have yet to see a useful pet in warframe

pets run around on their own or would need annoying micro management with these commands
i don't want either of it

even with universal vacuum the only times you will see me use a pet is when

1. I'm lvling it for mastery
  2. i can cook it and turn it into potions or some kind of buff food

Players that insist kavats/Kubrows are useless are living in their own bubble.

My kavat buffs are far more useful than a vacuum picking up stuff I don't need.

If you insist on hoarding an abundance of resources, that's fine... But it's completely unnecessary.

I don't run out of ammo often and I don't rely on health or energy orbs. 90% of loot that drops is unnecessary.

I think the over reliance on vacuum is out of pure ignorance really. If you're not a new player, vacuum really isn't all that important.

Edited by Hypernaut1

1 minute ago, Hypernaut1 said:

If you insist on hoarding an abundance of resources, that's fine... But it's completely unnecessary.

I don't run out of ammo often and I don't rely on health or energy orbs. 

I think the over reliance on vacuum is out of pure ignorance really. If you're not a new player, vacuum really isn't all that important.

While I agree with you, I stated in my post that there are many things pets are great at but their poor AI holds them back. 

As a Sahasa Kubrow user, I wish that it were more consistent and had better AI. During the Ambulas Reborn Event, I went 80 waves for defense and scored around 450 points. My kubrow was stuck in the wall since wave ~25-30. If a /reset option was present to reset the positioning of my kubrow, that would have been amazing. It's things like that that hold back my Adarza Kavat and Sahasa Kubrow.

10 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Yeah, right. Anyone with a different opinion is living in a bubble... /s

11 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

See here is the thing - I just can not take this statement seriously when I got my Sovereign Outcast only thanks to my Helios Prime since the Eris tile set is effed up and the mod got stuck in a place where our frames would not reach. Guess what? One of our teammates was raging because he/she was using a Kavat and could not get the mod.

So yeah, for a game like Warframe where mod drop chance is more rare than the chance of life on Mars, Vacuum matters.

3 minutes ago, DEADSHOT456 said:

See here is the thing - I just can not take this statement seriously when I got my Sovereign Outcast only thanks to my Helios Prime since the Eris tile set is effed up and the mod got stuck in a place where our frames would not reach. Guess what? One of our teammates was raging because he/she was using a Kavat and could not get the mod.

So yeah, for a game like Warframe where mod drop chance is more rare than the chance of life on Mars, Vacuum matters.

This isn't a thread about Vacuum, there are 1000 other threads for that. This is to address the fact people seem to believe that vacuum is the only thing standing between someone using a pet and someone using a sentinel and why I believe that belief is wrong and am looking for other people's thoughts on the issue.

Kubrows/Kavats won't have great popularity until solutions are presented to their current AI issues imo.

Edited by Music4Therapy

1 minute ago, Music4Therapy said:

This isn't a thread about Vacuum, there are 1000 other threads for that. This is to address the fact people seem to believe that vacuum is the only thing standing between someone using a pet and someone using a sentinel and why I believe that belief is wrong and am looking for other people's thoughts on the issue.

Kubrows/Kavats won't have great popularity until solutions are presented to their current AI issues imo.

First - Wait, what? This thread is not about Vacuum but we are talking about Vacuum and its importance in making pets viable? Then how is the thread not about Vacuum? Doesn't make sense what you just said.

Second - People don't 'seem to believe' that Vacuum is the only thing standing between the use of Pets and sentinels. People are right. Vacuum is one of those things in Warframe which became a necessity over time thanks to the loot-centric gameplay.

I can guarantee you that Pets won't be popular even if they get some amazing AI. Because the need to not miss out on rare mods and loot is much more than some petty red-crit buff especially when our weapons do thousand upon thousands of damage already and is overkill for most of the game.

As for my opinion, I would happily use my Huras or Smeeta even with their crappy AI if they (or our Warframes) get Vacuum.

Majority of the playerbase have already provided DE with the best possible option for Vacuum - make it a feature of our frames. But DE somehow feels that is a bad idea. I just can not understand why that would be a bad idea.

And is it so hard to understand? When Vacuum was exclusive to Carrier, 89% of the playerbase used Carrier. Now Vacuum is exclusive to Sentinels and although I do not have official statistics, I can assure you from my own experience that majority of the playerbase uses any of the Sentinels. So, it is quite obvious that Vacuum is the decision maker here.

Third, my previous post was written as a response to @Hypernaut1's keen interest in proving that he/she is right in what he/she thinks and that other players who think Vacuum is necessary are wrong and also the fact that he/she thinks that whoever has a different opinion and choice is living in a bubble or under a rock.

12 hours ago, DEADSHOT456 said:

First - Wait, what? This thread is not about Vacuum but we are talking about Vacuum and its importance in making pets viable? Then how is the thread not about Vacuum? Doesn't make sense what you just said.

Second - People don't 'seem to believe' that Vacuum is the only thing standing between the use of Pets and sentinels. People are right. Vacuum is one of those things in Warframe which became a necessity over time thanks to the loot-centric gameplay.

I can guarantee you that Pets won't be popular even if they get some amazing AI. Because the need to not miss out on rare mods and loot is much more than some petty red-crit buff especially when our weapons do thousand upon thousands of damage already and is overkill for most of the game.

As for my opinion, I would happily use my Huras or Smeeta even with their crappy AI if they (or our Warframes) get Vacuum.

Majority of the playerbase have already provided DE with the best possible option for Vacuum - make it a feature of our frames. But DE somehow feels that is a bad idea. I just can not understand why that would be a bad idea.

And is it so hard to understand? When Vacuum was exclusive to Carrier, 89% of the playerbase used Carrier. Now Vacuum is exclusive to Sentinels and although I do not have official statistics, I can assure you from my own experience that majority of the playerbase uses any of the Sentinels. So, it is quite obvious that Vacuum is the decision maker here.

1) Actually, this thread is about why someone would actually choose a pet over a sentinel even if both had Vacuum with all the AI issues they have and arguably inferior capabilities.

2) I agree with you 100%. That's my whole point and why I titled the thread as I did. Even if frames were given vacuum that was equivalent to what sentinels currently have, pets STILL would be unpopular due to the issues that currently exist.

If DE truly want to make pets a viable option, I would suggest they look at what solutions I provided. Fixing AI, having a /reset command in case they get stuck in a wall, and being able to issue them commands would go a long ways towards fixing that... in addition to having Vacuum be an innate effect. Even then, the benefits of sentinels would still arguably be ahead of Kubrows/Kavats, which I why I also made a 2nd proposal as in addition to that. Again, that's all in the OP.

EDIT: Jesus, people are upvoting the hell out of the above comment when we actually agree on the issue. He literally just repeated what I said in the OP and went off on a tangent about Vacuum and Pet AI, he clearly didn't read the OP as he is just repeating every point that I made. Learn to read people.

Edited by Music4Therapy
grammar

Well, here's my opinion on the subject:

If Warframes got toggleable universal vacuum, and even if Kubrows also got amazing AI, I'd STILL probably mainly use sentinels. Because:
1) Sentinels go where YOU go. They don't mess up your shots, they don't mess up your stealth. Sentinels are reliably where you want them to be.
2) I generally don't want Sentinels to attack, but those moments when I do want them to, they are good at it because they have ranged attacks.
3) Even if I have loads of credits and resources, pets are still tedious simply by the fact that they have any upkeep costs at all, and have that annoying "have to be unfrozen first"-mechanic.

However, if pets ALSO got to be commanded what to do mid-mission (such as, "always follow me by my side and don't attack anything") AND got way better pathing behaviours, then I'd MAYBE use pets once in a while. Maybe.

9 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

Well, here's my opinion on the subject:

If Warframes got toggleable universal vacuum, and even if Kubrows also got amazing AI, I'd STILL probably mainly use sentinels. Because:
1) Sentinels go where YOU go. They don't mess up your shots, they don't mess up your stealth. Sentinels are reliably where you want them to be.
2) I generally don't want Sentinels to attack, but those moments when I do want them to, they are good at it because they have ranged attacks.
3) Even if I have loads of credits and resources, pets are still tedious simply by the fact that they have any upkeep costs at all, and have that annoying "have to be unfrozen first"-mechanic.

However, if pets ALSO got to be commanded what to do mid-mission (such as, "always follow me by my side and don't attack anything") AND got way better pathing behaviours, then I'd MAYBE use pets once in a while. Maybe.

Agreed. Perhaps a gear slot item you can access to change pet behaviors.

Sentinels are way better than Pets because they offer better utility. I don't need help killing, or stripping armor ect. However if you want to restore my shields, pick up loot, heal me, revive me than why not.

Edited by (PS4)RenovaKunumaru

2 hours ago, DEADSHOT456 said:

I said players that INSIST kavats/kubrows are useless because of vacuum are living in a bubble, not players that prefer sentinels.

And for every extremely rare instance where vacuum just happened to get that one rare mod stuck in the geometry, I've had a Sahasa Kubrow dig up a mod I was looking for TWICE. one time he did it at the end of a level, got me a stance I wanted. The other time it was a semi rare mod, still... It was helpful because I didn't I have it. 

That said, I would indeed most likely use vacuum if I was farming for a mod or resource, it's not like I don't like vacuum. The thing is though, it's rare that I am ever farming for those things. As a vet player, it's rare that I am actually in need of anything that drops. So I just don't get this obsession with having vacuum at all times. To me it's a tool that I use when I need it.

So to answer the question of what would encourage players to use pets- getting them to realise that vacuum isn't as important as the forum makes it out to be. I guarantee to any player, that's not farming resources/mods or using high ammo weapons, if they used a pet, they won't notice a big drop productivity. 

43 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I guarantee to any player, that's not farming resources/mods or using high ammo weapons, if they used a pet, they won't notice a big drop productivity. 

While I largely agree with you in that Vacuum is not a necessity, I also realize that it's a lot more than a useless luxury. This sentence right here is where you lose me. 

The thing is - most of the playerbase has to farm tons of resources all the time and, aren't vets like you (or I guess me lol) and don't have massive stockpiles of resources, and can't afford to miss them. The recent Razorback event showed that quite clearly, what with everyone constantly running for Polymer because basically nobody except for vets has enough of it. 

Farming is the name of the game for people who haven't just finished everything. This is even more true of those building dojos (all the resources required, not to mention research, like Hema), or some of the more ridiculous weapon requirements (see: Vauban Prime's Oxium requirements). 

I agree vacuum isn't necessary, but if anyone other than vets takes it off, they will ABSOLUTELY notice a drop in their productivity, not only missing mods they might not have, but the resources they absolutely need. 

Universal vacuum (on Warframes or pets) might not solve all the problems with pets, true, but it will most certainly be a step in the right direction. 

Edited by TrickshotMcGee

33 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I said players that INSIST kavats/kubrows are useless because of vacuum are living in a bubble, not players that prefer sentinels.

As I said, OPINIONS. Pets are useless from their POV, who are you to judge if they are wrong or right?

And for every extremely rare instance where vacuum just happened to get that one rare mod stuck in the geometry, I've had a Sahasa Kubrow dig up a mod I was looking for TWICE. one time he did it at the end of a level, got me a stance I wanted. The other time it was a semi rare mod, still... It was helpful because I didn't I have it. 

It is pretty funny how you assumed Vacuum helped in only that situation and described just 2 situations for your Sahasa. Guess what? I was referring to the most recent case.

Tell me, can your Sahasa loot every single loot in a matter of seconds when that Defense alert is going to end abruptly on the last wave because DE decided that we should get any time to loot after the last wave? Obviously no.

That said, I would indeed most likely use vacuum if I was farming for a mod or resource, it's not like I don't like vacuum. The thing is though, it's rare that I am ever farming for those things. As a vet player, it's rare that I am actually in need of anything that drops. So I just don't get this obsession with having vacuum at all times. To me it's a tool that I use when I need it.

Maybe be you are a vet. That does not mean all players are vets and do not need resources. For any player who is not a vet, the ability to not miss out on loots instead of getting energy orbs from Sahasa is much more important.

As for vets, hell, I am a vet and 95% of the times I use a Sentinel because there is always something to farm in this game(*mutagen samples**Hema**1-man clan*). The only time I use my Smeeta is when I need Argon Crystals and hope that the Smeeta triggers that rare resource ability.

getting them to realise that vacuum isn't as important as the forum makes it out to be.

Right...The Forum makes it out to be...

Is that the reason why the official statistics showed a staggering 89% Carrier use before the Vacuum changes? I mean you obviously would not say that a bunch of Forum people influenced 89% of the playerbase to choose Vacuum over everything else?

It is actually quite the opposite. There is a small minority of Forum people who try their best to make people understand that Vacuum isn't important and says anyone who says otherwise are living in a bubble.

I guarantee to any player, that's not farming resources/mods or using high ammo weapons, if they used a pet, they won't notice a big drop productivity. 

Oh, so now you guarantee stuff that can be proved wrong by running 2 long survivals? Nice. So, basically, you would be fooling the new players who reads your post. Because anyone who has played 100+ hours of Warframe already realized that pickup count can be as bad as half when using pets as compared to using Sentinels with Vacuum.

You know what, nevermind. There is no point in debating with you. Its pretty obvious what the playerbase prefers.

Simple thing - Pets and Sentinels will be closer to becoming equally useful if one of the 2 things are done - either remove the concept of Vacuum from the game(and we know what will happen then) or give Vacuum to pets or make Vacuum a mandatory passive for frames. As simple as that. If DE won't do that, pets will never be used as much as sentinels. Pretty obvious by now, even for DE.

Edited by DEADSHOT456
Typo

Fixing the AI  alone would be a huge improvement, when my dog walks under my stairs atleast she knows how to get out from under it and not keep heading forward hoping the wall would move. I have a lovely sahahahaha kubrow if i say so myself and when I take her into a mission the moment I dont see her besides she is either stuck or digging up stuff miles behind me (not to mention that 4/10 she somehow starts digging and nothing pops up). Or when a host doesnt have the best of best connection and the kubrow starts and keeps attack air the whole mission.

As for the vacuum thing, sure it would motivate me more to bring a kubrow/kavat along a bit more and to me its not even far fetched (my dog often rolls over the floor only to get stuff stuck in his fur like pencils and other small stuff, yea i know she is a furry fur ball that loses hair more then a old man going bold, but I love her none the less).

4 hours ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

I agree with the addition of the commands, but honestly I do think that people would start using kavats, because they provide really strong buffs. Unlike sentinels who people only use for vacuum and nothing else.

So let Kubrows also give bonuses.  Sahasa Kubrow: Double Ammo/Energy pick up amount just as 1 example.  I dont know the roles of all the Kubrows.

Huras Kubrow: +2.5 innate health regen -10% dmg reduction

Sunika Kubrow: +15% shields and 20% faster shield regen rate

38 minutes ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

While I largely agree with you in that Vacuum is not a necessity, I also realize that it's a lot more than a useless luxury. This sentence right here is where you lose me. 

The thing is - most of the playerbase has to farm tons of resources all the time and, aren't vets like you (or I guess me lol) and don't have massive stockpiles of resources, and can't afford to miss them. The recent Razorback event showed that quite clearly, what with everyone constantly running for Polymer because basically nobody except for vets has enough of it. 

Farming is the name of the game for people who haven't just finished everything. This is even more true of those building dojos (all the resources required, not to mention research, like Hema), or some of the more ridiculous weapon requirements (see: Vauban Prime's Oxium requirements). 

I agree vacuum isn't necessary, but if anyone other than vets takes it off, they will ABSOLUTELY notice a drop in their productivity, not only missing mods they might not have, but the resources they absolutely need. 

Universal vacuum (on Warframes or pets) might not solve all the problems with pets, true, but it will most certainly be a step in the right direction. 

I don't think I claimed that vacuum is useless. It definitely has its uses, I just don't think it's necessary for every build. It's a tool.

Since are too insistent that the game is unplayable without it and it's simply not true. Even as a relatively new player, I found that a huras Kubrow was just as useful as carrier. It took me a while to realize it because I kept hearing how bad Kubrows were. Being cloaked helped a lot with soloing the star chart.

I use pets even without vacuum. the simple fact is, walking over loot is something you do naturally over the course of a mission. The amount of loot that you might miss (and that vacuum would have helped you pick up), is ultimately too small for me to take an arguably less effective and more ephemeral companion. (I mean seriously, one bombard rocket and it's all over for your buddy carrier)

20 minutes ago, redeyedtreefrog said:

The amount of loot that you might miss (and that vacuum would have helped you pick up), is ultimately too small for me to take an arguably less effective and more ephemeral companion.

You say that now, but wait until you miss something like a Vengeful Revenant or a Hate blueprint or some other stupid-ungodly-rare item because it got stuck in a wall or adhered to the side of a pit that you can't drop down without getting teleported.

Fact is, Vacuum helps avoid these unfortunate situations, and collects resources for you over a wide area safely.  Things you might have to pass over because it's too dangerous to go out and get them, can be collected with vacuum without having to worry about a companion running out and getting shot, or drawing fire to your location.

Sentinels already have a ton of advantages over mobile companions.  They're durable w/o relying on your Warframe's own stats (My Carrier's going to be just as tough as always, no matter if I'm running it with Nova or I'm running it with Inaros), they're never attacked directly (only AoEs and auras will ever hurt your sentinel unless it physically occupies the path of an enemy's shot when it's aiming for you), they have outstanding mods that help both your survivability and quality-of-life and theirs (Medi-Ray, Shield Charger, Primed Regen, Sacrifice, Ammo Case, and of course Vacuum), they utilize ranged attacks with weapons that can be individually modded, they don't require maintenance, and since they follow your position religiously, they will never get stuck or caught on terrain, or have their AI derp out and become nonfunctional like other companions can.

There's a huge gap between Sentinels and virtually any other companion type, for a number of reasons.  Making full-strength Vacuum inherent to your Warframe will just be removing one of the oldest and most onerous inequalities.  It's not going to be the only change necessary to bring other companions in line with Sentinel performance, but it's one of the biggest, and IMO most important steps, and should be one of the first taken.

Once that's done, Sentinels and Companions can finally be reevaluated without this Sword of Damocles hanging over the discussion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - full-strength universal warframe vacuum is nothing but a good decision for DE to make.  If it convinces even one person to buy cosmetics from the Market for a companion that they wouldn't otherwise use, they've made money off it.  They're not making any money off the Vacuum mod.

Edited by Arkvold

Yes. It will. When DE implemented Vacuum on all sentinels, they all saw more play than ever before. The problem is that Carrier is still the best sentinel to use BY FAR due to its utility as an ammo converter, ability to give you extra spare ammo, and its durability with a maxed out Vitality. The other sentinels need a complete overhaul to compete with Carrier. The closest competitors are Shade (free invisibility) and Taxon (overshields) due to them having niche roles as sentinels. Give Dethcube, Wyrm, Djinn and Diriga a reason to be picked over the others.

As for Kubrows and Kavats, I have 3 of each just sitting in stasis on my liset. There's no reason for me to ever run with them because of the fact that their damage is negligible on higher level content, and they drop like flies unless you're using Inaros/Nidus.

Making it a passive on your Warframe that you could just toggle on/off would suffice. It'd motivate people to use Kubrows/Kavats, give more feedback on them so they can be improved, and it'd even get people to buy the cosmetic items for them. It's a win-win-win situation.

To those who hate the idea of vacuum being a toggleable passive, look at what happens to reactant during fissure missions on some occasions. It sometimes gets stuck in the floors, walls, and even the ceilings. That's what happens to materials and mods more often than you think it does. The only way we can get those mods is by having vacuum.

Edited by (XB1)The Crow Caller

I wouldn't be surprised if DE looks at the stats of players that don't exclusively use vacuum and see that they are at no disadvantage, further cementing the idea that they should leave it as a choice to make. 

A developers motivation is different from a players. While a player wants every advantage they can get at little to no cost, a developer wants the players to make choices that matter and have weight to them.

Ya. I love my kavats. I dont see how people think a massive dps buff is "useless" of course it may not have been a massive AI change...but I had once posted on giving kubrows (and now kavats) a form of "pet temperments" so you could basically set an attack style if you will each with there own set of minor buffs.
aggressive pets would be always running ahead of you to attack with a minor boost to attack
defensive pets would be by your side attacking anything that shoots you with a small def boost
relaxed pets would stay by your side and only attack if something is in range and would get a CD boost
curious pets would kinda amble around randomly in corners and such but would probly come with an innate scavenger (that could stack with the mod)

I might rebost that soon since its long enough back that its a locked post.

12 minutes ago, Ordosan said:

Ya. I love my kavats. I dont see how people think a massive dps buff is "useless" of course it may not have been a massive AI change...but I had once posted on giving kubrows (and now kavats) a form of "pet temperments" so you could basically set an attack style if you will each with there own set of minor buffs.
aggressive pets would be always running ahead of you to attack with a minor boost to attack
defensive pets would be by your side attacking anything that shoots you with a small def boost
relaxed pets would stay by your side and only attack if something is in range and would get a CD boost
curious pets would kinda amble around randomly in corners and such but would probly come with an innate scavenger (that could stack with the mod)

I must say, those "temper"-ideas are very neat!

24 minutes ago, Ordosan said:

Pet temperament is a wonderful idea