The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx P/Saryn P advice

(XBOX)MalevolentEwok

Question

7 answers to this question

If you are a new player and look for a frame that can do everything from solo, star chart to sortis quick, helps you to farm focus, relict, mods etc pick saryn(you can switch the aura with that forma setup as well, I just use Rejuvenation most of the time because I do not really need more damage outside of high level solo melee only and you can ignore most of the toxin/slash procs that way).

1ZpS27f.jpg

You should run the boss for her normal parts a bit to get the acid shell mod. While Saryn with most weapons or at high levels is incredible power hungry even with 170% efficiency in a AOE nuke build only sustainable with Zenurik, you can just buy the sobek, put 6 forma on it(it is worth it, given how powerful it is as AOE shotgun at lower levels on all frames and how incredible good it scales on Saryn),  and you will make your Saryn hit very hard even beyond L100 or sortis at close to no energy cost. The reason for this is that 45% of the enemy HP as damage on kill as AOE is incredible powerful in combination with viral procs and dots on nearly all targets, add punch through and it makes most nuke frames pressing 4 as hard as possible look bad while you press 1 occasionally. It also can be modded non gas/toxic and still work on the basic AOE viral proc what is incredible good as soon as you run into L100 toxic eximus, given that you can put hardly a dent into them with your normal gas/toxic weapons.

Other then that, there are a lot of other weapons you can use to focus on gas/toxin damage transfer(throwing weapons with concealed explosives, staticor, Ignis, status build bows like the mutalist cernos,  Torid etc.). There are also a lot of options for melee to make use of raw single target damage(like heavy blade in combination with the viral procs and your 3) or a AOE status approach like on my primed reach gas Mios what ironically as melee is the better AOE weapon then explosives because it reaches much further and hits much harder, because you transfer all the power of the melee counter, guaranteed crits on spin attacks(if you do not have that mod, use conditional overload, nearly as good), what is as good as the old saryn doing the content hammering 4 before the rework, however you do not need to press 4 what saves a lot of energy, the range is better nowadays and if you go a bit higher in level the map does not instantly die, what allows for even less 1 pressing, given that you always have left over spores to spread to new spawns.

Saryn is a frame that can get stuff done(all the stuff) on her own, at very high speed, what is a good tool for newer players.

Nyx is more of a specialized CC frame, while incredible powerful in the right situation and more then capable to do all kind of missions solo, I do not use my Nyx prime that often, given it is literally to much CC in most cases. A Ash player last time I played Nyx complained that he could kill literally nothing in a L100 sorti, given that my Nyx and a slow Nova had the interception map on lock down where everything was basically unable to leave the spawn point.

Edit:

Chroma\Necros\Nidius vs Saryn L35 grenier syndicate interception(sobek only, would be a lot more one sided if I would have used my Mios):

Ao7g6EL.jpg

Keep in mind that is literally best case for them, since your spores die out non stop given thatyn everything dies instantly. If you look for a frame that can deliver a incredible high, consistent and large area of effect damage you can not go wrong with Saryn and you will outperform most people in the game with ease at this once you learned how to play Saryn.

Edit2: This is how Saryn looks like if you go a bit more abusive and serious with your damage output in normal content like syndicate L40 Interceptions with the full force of area of effect melee damage(this mission did not include one but two Ember primes, that literally shut down WoF in protest... :scared:).

ZapsnXd.jpg

Edited by Djego27

a) Nyx is big cc with an augment that makes her tanky, Saryn is big area damage with an augment that makes her a bit tanky. Up to you which one you prefer.

b) Assimilate build on Nyx allows you to tank through a mission, big range/duration plus Chaos augment makes good area CC. Saryn benefits from an all-round build, as she gets maximum damage from using all of her abilities at once. Regenerative Molt will fit nicely into any decent build and gives you solid HP regen basically whenever you want.

c) Probably Zenurik's Energy Overflow, lets you regenerate up to 4 energy per second, is completely crazy OP but obviously gives a lot of energy. Could be giving the impression of infinite energy if energy isn't being used like crazy.

Saryn is also much more T H I C C

Edited by YUNoJump
very important info

Nyx is a great starter frame. Has superb cc, good and controlling the field and her assimilate augment allows her a lvl of invulnerability with a movement penalty.

Saryn is a bit more advanced but very rewarding. Has the highes base energy tied with Volt and is a huge damager with superb cc as well.

As a newer player, Nyx will be easier to use and cheaper to build, so I would recommend you try her first. Saryn is my favorite frame, so I will, of course, encourage you to try her out, but bringing her to her maximum potential takes a lot of investment.

I use maximum or near-maximum range on both Nyx and Saryn, Nyx for the Chaos range, Saryn for reliable spore spreading. On Nyx, you can dump strength if you are just using Mind Control and Chaos, and can fudge around with her other stats to fit your playstyle. On Saryn, you won't want to dump any stats, but you can let anything but range dip a little under 100% while you are collecting the resources for a full build. I would strongly recommend using Rage and Regenerative Molt on Saryn, as it makes surviving the star chart pretty easy so long as you are moderately careful. If you happen to have Life Strike, you can drop the Regenerative Molt.

You can use any weapon you like on Nyx. On Saryn you will probably want to use weapons that synergize with her abilities, usually high fire rate weapons with good status chance and toxin or gas damage (especially with punch-through or Concealed Explosives) and long-range melee weapons. My weapons of choice on her while leveling were the Lesion, Hikou Prime with Concealed Explosives, Staticor, and, if I needed to cheese something, the Atterax. Now I mostly use the Lesion, Secura Lecta, Akstiletto Prime, or Pox.

8 hours ago, Djego27 said:

If you are a new player and look for a frame that can do everything from solo, star chart to sortis quick, helps you to farm focus, relict, mods etc pick saryn(you can switch the aura with that forma setup as well, I just use Rejuvenation most of the time because I do not really need more damage outside of high level solo melee only and you can ignore most of the toxin/slash procs that way).

1ZpS27f.jpg

You should run the boss for her normal parts a bit to get the acid shell mod. While Saryn with most weapons or at high levels is incredible power hungry even with 170% efficiency in a AOE nuke build only sustainable with Zenurik, you can just buy the sobek, put 6 forma on it(it is worth it, given how powerful it is as AOE shotgun at lower levels on all frames and how incredible good it scales on Saryn),  and you will make your Saryn hit very hard even beyond L100 or sortis at close to no energy cost. The reason for this is that 45% of the enemy HP as damage on kill as AOE is incredible powerful in combination with viral procs and dots on nearly all targets, add punch through and it makes most nuke frames pressing 4 as hard as possible look bad while you press 1 occasionally. It also can be modded non gas/toxic and still work on the basic AOE viral proc what is incredible good as soon as you run into L100 toxic eximus, given that you can put hardly a dent into them with your normal gas/toxic weapons.

Other then that, there are a lot of other weapons you can use to focus on gas/toxin damage transfer(throwing weapons with concealed explosives, staticor, Ignis, status build bows like the mutalist cernos,  Torid etc.). There are also a lot of options for melee to make use of raw single target damage(like heavy blade in combination with the viral procs and your 3) or a AOE status approach like on my primed reach gas Mios what ironically as melee is the better AOE weapon then explosives because it reaches much further and hits much harder, because you transfer all the power of the melee counter, guaranteed crits on spin attacks(if you do not have that mod, use conditional overload, nearly as good), what is as good as the old saryn doing the content hammering 4 before the rework, however you do not need to press 4 what saves a lot of energy, the range is better nowadays and if you go a bit higher in level the map does not instantly die, what allows for even less 1 pressing, given that you always have left over spores to spread to new spawns.

Saryn is a frame that can get stuff done(all the stuff) on her own, at very high speed, what is a good tool for newer players.

Nyx is more of a specialized CC frame, while incredible powerful in the right situation and more then capable to do all kind of missions solo, I do not use my Nyx prime that often, given it is literally to much CC in most cases. A Ash player last time I played Nyx complained that he could kill literally nothing in a L100 sorti, given that my Nyx and a slow Nova had the interception map on lock down where everything was basically unable to leave the spawn point.

Edit:

Chroma\Necros\Nidius vs Saryn L35 grenier syndicate interception(sobek only, would be a lot more one sided if I would have used my Mios):

Ao7g6EL.jpg

Keep in mind that is literally best case for them, since your spores die out non stop given thatyn everything dies instantly. If you look for a frame that can deliver a incredible high, consistent and large area of effect damage you can not go wrong with Saryn and you will outperform most people in the game with ease at this once you learned how to play Saryn.

Edit2: This is how Saryn looks like if you go a bit more abusive and serious with your damage output in normal content like syndicate L40 Interceptions with the full force of area of effect melee damage(this mission did not include one but two Ember primes, that literally shut down WoF in protest... :scared:).

ZapsnXd.jpg

Is that the build you have on your saryn prime? I don't mind investing time if I can make her super OP lol. I enjoy playing as her, but mine is relatively weak due to the fact I don't have very good mods ATM. How would you recommend I move forward?

Two completely different frames for completely different roles and purpose.

Saryn makes enemies easier to kill through Viral status effects and does some AoE damage but has little in ways of protecting herself. For a newer player her Regenerative Molt works decent but it's just about impossible for Saryn to stay alive without help past lvl 100. This makes her a decent solo frame but mostly a group damage assist frame. Saryn generally has two builds, Spores and Melee/Spores Hybrid.

Nyx doesn't really do damage at all but can finish missions without having to fire a single shot. She can technically survive forever as long as you don't screw up but she doesn't kill enemies very fast. This makes her strong for solo as long as kill rate is not a factor to mission completion and strong group CC to keep allies safe. Nyx generally has three builds, General CC, Stun Lock and Full Control.

They're both powerful in their own rights but to give an idea of what I mean about Nyx finishing missions without firing a shot.... This is a Sorties mission 3 Mobile Defense where I never shot a single bullet and finished without taking a hit.

Spoiler

On 26.5.2017 at 2:21 AM, (Xbox One)MalevolentEwok said:

Is that the build you have on your saryn prime? I don't mind investing time if I can make her super OP lol. I enjoy playing as her, but mine is relatively weak due to the fact I don't have very good mods ATM. How would you recommend I move forward?

The first posted one is my normal AOE build, that can be used for nearly everything. I do have another build that is for higher level melee only runs but that is probably not that much of a interesting thing for a newer player.

In general Saryn will perform ok with the basic mods however Transient fortitude and Overextended are very beneficial for AOE damage while primed continuity and fleeting expertise allow more use of stuff like Miasma for the added damage and mostly CC at higher levels.

What you should start focusing on at the start is at least one weapon that can utilize spore scaling damage and farming spy missions for status mods for your weapons. If you do not have a zenurik lense yet, consider getting one. Saryn is actually fairly good at focus farming, given that most kills are done by frame abilities and therefore to 100% count towards the focus gains if the lense is on the frame.

Staticor is a good choice. It can be build radiation/gas/electric(mostly infested)  to utilize the scaling. If you put a few forma on it you can use the last build slot you have for a radiation\corrosive\fire build what is very good on all frames vs high level armored targets(probably a bit to good given that it does not come with the downside of poor ammo economy like status rifles\shotguns) and can be used as additional weapon to deal with heavy targets that way on Saryn as well if you cover the spore mechanic with another weapon(can be your primary or a melee).

vGOjoPf.jpg

4oy6V8v.jpg

Sobek is as pointed out very strong on Saryn while it is easy to get and a very straight forward weapon. Only needs the acid shell mod that you can get for running Kela a bit and a few forma. It can be used fairly universal for damage types, given that it mostly relies on the viral mechanic of spores what is a big plus. It also does not require rare mods to work and you still have the option to add the syndicate mod for self healing and a bit more CC by procs.

9iK58Lm.jpg

For melee nearly everything works and what you should look for is high damage on the spin attack, given the guaranteed toxic proc on your 3 and that you transfer the toxic proc on first hit because your 3 also guarantees that. I mostly prefer the Mios for AOE damage because of the high range with primed reach, that is even increased by the high status and gas modding, what will fairly reliable proc at least once if you do a spin attack into multiple targets, increasing the range and spore spreading even more by the AOE gas explosion. Another useful thing to have on a melee is to have CC in the combos or high status in combination with a CC proc to compensate for the lack of CC outside of miasma spam, what is not really a viable thing for a newer player.

Edit: In general focus on a weapon that works well with Saryn first, then start working on the frame, focus, other weapons and collecting mods. Sobek, given that it works with very common mods and is fairly universal useful on all frames, it is probably a very good point to start as a new player. Staticor is also very universal in a radiation\corrosive\fire build given that armor is the strongest scaling HP mechanic in the game. It is often a thing in sortis or event missions and you will get a lot of use out of a good anti armor scaling status weapon.

Edited by Djego27