The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How will negative crit damage affect my DPS?

(PSN)B0XMAN517

Question

I rolled a pretty good riven for my tetra (+electric + toxic + multishot - crit damage). Due to the low base crit damage, this mod brings me down to -.8x crit damage. While doesn't seem to be a big deal, it's only -.8x on a weapon with 10% crit chance, I am curiouse as to how this will affect my overall DPS. Will I do .8x less damage every time I crit? If so, how big of an impact will this have on my overall DPS?

9 answers to this question

when you do crit it will do less damage. like, literally nothing, since when you crit you take that crit damage value and multiply it towards your damage it will always come out as a negative number. SO when you crit you will do 0 damage. let's say your tetra does 500 in one shot so if you crit you multiply that by -.8 the damage is now -400, game treats it as a zero. If you say had a negative crit damage riven on a weapon that has a decent crit chance it's possible to hit damage cap with the right build. Like this vasto riven I've got

x82XhfY.png

if u go to -crit (on snipers it deals capped dmg on headshot crits propably bug but fatal one) one pistols it seems to do just non crit dmg on crit, so you will see yllow (even red depends) but the dmg is as if it wasn't a crit

not sure on rifles cuz i haven't had -crit rifle rivens c.c

Edited by Hemmo67

I have a sobek riven in a similar position; it doesn't turn the crit chance negative, but puts it all the way down to .3x multiplier, which is enough for the damage popoffs of crits to read 0 on non-headshots (I don't know what kind of math is going on to make that happen, it's just what I've noticed). Since sobek's crit chance is a mere 10%, this doesn't noticeably affect my dps(especially considering the riven also has a +200% base dmg boost). However, if you're using kavats, their crit buffs will render your gun essentially useless for their duration.

1 hour ago, Zenviscerator said:

when you do crit it will do less damage. like, literally nothing, since when you crit you take that crit damage value and multiply it towards your damage it will always come out as a negative number. SO when you crit you will do 0 damage. let's say your tetra does 500 in one shot so if you crit you multiply that by -.8 the damage is now -400, game treats it as a zero. If you say had a negative crit damage riven on a weapon that has a decent crit chance it's possible to hit damage cap with the right build. Like this vasto riven I've got

x82XhfY.png

How recent is that picture? Some here are saying that a negative crit damage will heal the enemy. I really hope that's not true.

1 hour ago, Zenviscerator said:

x82XhfY.png

Vasto nerf incoming LUL