Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Working on a fan piece!

wdwmkr123

I'm doing a fanart piece for this wonderfull game. Just got my new beautiful Trinity Prime in the gorgeous Strega skin and am wanting to do a piece to celebrate. Here's the thumbnails, and am torn between which ones to use. Help me out! 

lhX3aMZ.jpg

Now that ive successfully chosen one (my friends added some votes and 3 turned out to definitely be the most popular it was off to get reference! I suited up in three of my warframes, Trinity Strega, nyx and saryn and went off to get some pics. I focused on the warframes themselves, getting some good body shots, and focused after that on getting some environment shots and some Grineer. 

The environments went well, however my mission to get some grineer pics went... interesting. 

But its onto the next part! bashing together a preview before painting. ill update when I have the base image worked out. 

Edited by wdwmkr123

SCGrr0O.jpg

heres the first update! I photobashed the background together from my reference images and then added some elements of my own to establish a foundation for the image that I knew would be style and lighting-accurate. After that I went to pains to make sure everything in the image had accurate perspective. After the environment and perspective was in place I was finally ready to start adding characters! So here are the starts of my Trinity, nyx and saryn diving into action against a hapless group of grineer marines. 

1 hour ago, wdwmkr123 said:

SCGrr0O.jpg

heres the first update! I photobashed the background together from my reference images and then added some elements of my own to establish a foundation for the image that I knew would be style and lighting-accurate. After that I went to pains to make sure everything in the image had accurate perspective. After the environment and perspective was in place I was finally ready to start adding characters! So here are the starts of my Trinity, nyx and saryn diving into action against a hapless group of grineer marines. 

Lookin' good so far, quite excited to see some more progress 

2 hours ago, wdwmkr123 said:

SCGrr0O.jpg

Well you surely are fast. That aside, this is awesome. I love every single sketch you had there in first post!
Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Heres the next update! All the characters are blocked in and adjusted for the lighting. Now that ive got all the elements generally in place the next part is simply rendering them down. Since I went the extra step and rendered down the Warframes pretty far in the first place they'll be fairly easy however the largest and most daunting task is going to be the grineer marines. they need to read well while not being the Primary focal point. Regardless, this part will likely take a while but ill try to get it done as quickly as possible!

S4Ex7ou.jpg

8 hours ago, wdwmkr123 said:

Heres the next update! All the characters are blocked in and adjusted for the lighting. Now that ive got all the elements generally in place the next part is simply rendering them down. Since I went the extra step and rendered down the Warframes pretty far in the first place they'll be fairly easy however the largest and most daunting task is going to be the grineer marines. they need to read well while not being the Primary focal point. Regardless, this part will likely take a while but ill try to get it done as quickly as possible!

S4Ex7ou.jpg

I quite like the artstyle, perhaps after this you could go for a scenic drawing of Earth, or maybe Europa? Anyway, again, I like this, take all the time you need to finish it, though!

Edited by HammerofDusk

On 30.5.2017. at 4:40 AM, wdwmkr123 said:

S4Ex7ou.jpg

Damn, that's something good. Love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the wait, I got a commission that I had to work on but I haven't forgotten about this piece! When I got a chance I was able to get a little more done on this, so here's the update! the rendering process is going well, I've just had a touch of trouble getting trinity's magic effect to look good without detracting from the image, so unfortunately that is not quite in yet.

sLZoToq.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hooooly hell it has been a while since I got back to this piece. Work and work-related projects railroaded me until just recently but I'm back! the grineer are mostly blocked in now too and its back to the long slow process of rendering everything down. Gonna be using a lot of texture work and the like from here on out now that everything is done. 

u90Ohdi.jpg

Also @Slendy-Broseph I thought about using the colors I actually have on my frames but that didn't sit well with me. I wanted this piece to celebrate the frames themselves more than just MY frames in particular. And thanks for pointing out the hands! ill fix them up. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is where the image stands now, it is nearing completion! Have just a few more elements I want to shape up and then ill post it. Work has doubled down once again and on top of that ill be moving back to finish my last year of university soon, so hopefully Ill be done with this image before then. 1lrKxKZ.jpg 

Thank you everyone for their comments and critiques, I cant wait to be done with this and share it with you all!

reece-schultz-warframe-07.jpg?1501957132 

Aaand, finally, the truly finished piece. Thank you all for bearing with this one, I'm sorry it took so long but I think it was well worth it. 

Beautiful, breathtakingly so.

reece-schultz-warframe-07.jpg?1501957132 

Aaand, finally, the truly finished piece. Thank you all for bearing with this one, I'm sorry it took so long but I think it was well worth it. 

This is absolutely beautiful~! You should be hired as a concept artist for games, this is very high quality and professional-level work! I especially enjoy the fluidity of action in this piece! An overall breathtaking composition :heart: