Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Clan Emblem: Why Is Black Transparent And Not The Alpha Channel?

Zekail

so we just got to look at our clan emblem and this is what we got

o5YSnVM.png?1

now this is what our emblem is supposed to be

mqkj5Gg.png

it seems the alpha channel isnt accepted as the transparency and black is

here you can see the back is clearly being used as the transparency

ipA145U.png

Edited by Zekail

I imagine DE will help you out without charging you again for another submission, but thanks for the warning. Just throw a support ticket their way. Nice emblem by the way. :-)

right our clan leader is taking care of it i just got picks and started the topic for him, just posting this so people know whats up.

Edited by Zekail

Personally, I think this is kinda DE's problem to solve, transparency is fairly well understood, so why is the black being converted into transparency instead?  The image provided makes it fairly clear what we wanted to see in game, and since we weren't told what the rules were....

Fixed or I'd like my platinum back, costs 150 for a Warlord to upload an image.

Edited by Hollow_Knight

Hey there, I 'll be submitting an image of my own for my clan. I was curious if any of you could give me some pointers so I can avoid having my submission messed up.

Black = Transparent then?

TechSup_zps2fe5c29d.png

TechSup_zpsbfdcde2f.png

Edited by Sixnalia

Sixnalia, I wouldn't waste any money on this tell they get it sorted out.

Some work, some don't, some times black is transparent, other times it seems not. Plenty of white bordered ones like mine, other with weird tiled artifacting... its a bit of a mess.

Hey there, I 'll be submitting an image of my own for my clan. I was curious if any of you could give me some pointers so I can avoid having my submission messed up.

Black = Transparent then?

TechSup_zps2fe5c29d.png

TechSup_zpsbfdcde2f.png

those look good and as it stands right now all that black will be transparent space so you will only see the design....ideally

Edited by Zekail

Well, to answer the actual question of the topic, take a good look at FireTempest's image.

The Clan Emblems are light projections, so they use additive color.  They aren't decals on armor, and "black" light makes no sense at all.  You can see in FireTempest's image that you can actually see through the emblem, and it adds color.

Black isn't transparent per se - it's just that black adds no color whatsoever since it's (0,0,0).

I wouldn't expect a fix where png transparency works in the way you expect - transparency doesn't make any sense here, since the emblems are transparent to begin with. 

There was no mention of that being the terms. Logic dictates that the transparency in the png is transparent. Imagine if they were to add some sort of clan listing on the website, should everyone have black squares with a picture on it as their logo?

I'm kinda baffled myself. We too have a white square, and there is no white (or black) in our logo, only transparency and red. If that transparency converts into white, you'd think they could change it when converting it to ingame resources?

I'm really annoyed, but, I do think DE will fix this, at least that's what I'm hoping. They've been fair with so many other things. 

Oh, and with bloom on, I now have a flashlight on my shoulder :<

/e: typo's!

Edited by Love2Camp

Well, to answer the actual question of the topic, take a good look at FireTempest's image.

The Clan Emblems are light projections, so they use additive color.  They aren't decals on armor, and "black" light makes no sense at all.  You can see in FireTempest's image that you can actually see through the emblem, and it adds color.

Black isn't transparent per se - it's just that black adds no color whatsoever since it's (0,0,0).

I wouldn't expect a fix where png transparency works in the way you expect - transparency doesn't make any sense here, since the emblems are transparent to begin with. 

Whilst that makes a fair bit of sense...

A.  They didn't tell us this was how it works, the only guidelines we were given was '128x128 .PNG'

B. Given that the image is ACTUALLY just the texture raised into open space, you could display the black just fine, even if it doesn't technically make sense in that it's a hologram.

Well, it's not just the texture raised into space - it's being used as an emissive light.

I expect the devs will probably let you upload a new version at no charge if you contact them.  In the meantime, I've created a tool to correct your current logos as much as possible.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/80309-another-emblem-issue/?view=findpost&p=880501

We have a problem too. Our clan emblem have transparent (invisible) parts on it, but in game these parts are filled with collor. Its a standart .PNG 128*128 image created in photoshop. Its looks not as I expected.

http://steamcommunit.../?id=160593263� -  screenshots in steam.

How can I fix it? Maby RBG 0;0;255 color should be in place of transparent elements?

It's probably a nice tool and all, but it shouldn't be necessary to use a third-party tool to get the expected results.

Also, I'm not spending more plat on this, at least not until DE comments on it.

I suspect DE will either fix the system to display transparency, making it so we don't need to re-upload (except for those that used black as a part of their emblem, rather than transparency), or allow everyone who has uploaded once to re-upload, and explain how it works more clearly

Okay but have you actually done that and had it show up properly in-game? Otherwise it's not even worth it.

No, I have not.  It's based on the information here and in the other related threads.  If you'd prefer to make the edits yourself, or just wait, that's cool - I'm just trying to make it easier for you.

It's probably a nice tool and all, but it shouldn't be necessary to use a third-party tool to get the expected results.

Also, I'm not spending more plat on this, at least not until DE comments on it.

You did file a support ticket, yes?  Because this is pretty clearly DE not explaining things anywhere near well enough, and I'd expect to get a re-upload at the very least, but you'd need to go through support for that.

I suspect DE will either fix the system to display transparency, making it so we don't need to re-upload (except for those that used black as a part of their emblem, rather than transparency), or allow everyone who has uploaded once to re-upload, and explain how it works more clearly

I would expect the latter.  From all the posts around here, they were anything but clear on how the emblem was going to function in game, or that png transparency was going to be ignored because of the way it's functioning. 

it will beinteresting to see if they even acknowledge that it is broken in the first place

Honestly, black not showing up does make sense, given how the light color system works. Their big faults were in transparency not showing up, and failing to be more descriptive on how it works