The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield Gating for Corpus?

Silvus-Sol

Before you flay me alive for suggesting that Corpus get a shield gate and tell me about how it will ruin low fire rate weapons, hear me out.

Corpus are by far easier to kill than Grineer, I know this in large part to armor scaling being broken, but I still think shield gating for Corpus could help the game.

First off, how let's talk about how the gating would work. We can't use numbers (100, 500, etc.) because of increasing shield values due to scaling. So I'm thinking that each Corpus should get 1 shield gate at 25% of their shield HP. This gate would have something like a 30 second cooldown on it, so while it would prevent OHKOs on Corpus and give them a little more survivability, it wouldn't allow them to tank players with rapidly recharging gates.

Also, Shield Ospreys would be able give units a second shield gate when the the Osprey's bonus shields hit 0 HP. In other words, the Osprey provides a gate when you take out the bonus shields that it gives. However, only one bonus shield gate would be gained from Ospreys, any additional Ospreys would only provide extra shields, not extra gates. Once again, don't jump to conclusions on how all this would ruin bows/snipers/etc wait until I'm done.

So, we're giving Corpus 1 shield gate at 25% and a possible second gate if they are under the effect of a Shield Osprey. That sounds like it will cause a lot of problems. It will, but that's okay. Because I have a solution to those new problems. Magnetic damage and Impact damage.

Magnetic damage is considered one of the worst damage types in the game by many players, Impact is also considered one of the worst. Both of them are supposed to be anti-shield, but both are lackluster. So let's give them a purpose shall we?

Magnetic damage will ignore any shield gates the enemies have, and it will also take priority in application. Meaning if you have a weapon with magnetic damage on it, that magnetic damage will be applied before any of your other damage. Furthermore, if an enemy is affected by a Magnetic status proc, any and all shield gates that enemy has will enter a cooldown state with no time ticking down on the cooldown until the proc ends. So Magnetic procs can open up enemies for both yourself and allies.

Impact damage will also ignore shield gates like Magnetic, and it will have an application priority second only to Magnetic. However Impact status procs will remain as they are now. The idea is that both Magnetic and Impact damage will give players the ability to take out enemy shields without activating the shield gate, allowing the other damage on the weapon to hit the meaty bits. That is, if the enemy isn't OHKOed by the hit.

Shield gating for Corpus will add a new dimension to that faction, it will make players approach them a little differently. Shield gating for Corpus also opens up a chance for Magnetic and Impact damage to shine and to finally be useful. I am aware that Toxin damage can currently bypass shields altogether, but Toxin's relationship with shields and shield gating is something DE is gonna have to figure out anyways if/when they give shield gates to us, so I'm not going to bother speculating. Overall I think it would be a good change. What do you think?

Edited by Silvus-Sol
Typo fix

COrpus easier to kill?  But they are as hell are far the hell more annoying.  Grineer are easier to kill cuz they dont have shield charging drones, bomb drones, knock down drones, kncok down moas, sniper Moas, remove your energy Moas, Mine Drones, Heavy Machinegun drones, Nullifiersx100, Bursas that get every trick in the book........

2 hours ago, Arrectius said:

I also think the corpus are at higher levels are harder to deal than the other 2 factions.

It's because they have better unit variety and specializations. Corpus units seemed to be better designed than Grineer IMO, more thought put in to what they do and how they interact with eachother. They have better mechanics and do unique things. Grineer either clump together and shoot (with varying weapons), or charge at the player to melee... that's about it. Such straightforwardness makes sense for the Grineer, but it also makes them easier to deal with.

EHP wise, a lvl 140 Heavy Gunner has like 3.5mil EHP because of armor, meanwhile a lvl 140 Corpus Tech has like 195k EHP. So there is a significant difference between the two factions.

Edited by Silvus-Sol

1 minute ago, Jorak_Falconstar said:

Nope.. 

Squad of 4 Corpus Techs  each deploys their shield osprey = each tech now has 5 shield gates... 

NOPE

Gonna clarify in the OP, but they would only get ONE gate after the bonus shields run out. Only ONE bonus gate would be possible, regardless of the amount of Ospreys present.

8 minutes ago, bronzebonobo said:

How about no, corpus are already annoying as hell, let's not make it worse.

Just now, (Xbox One)Zweimander said:

How about no. The corpus are annoying enough already this would only make it worse.

Did you guys read past the title? If not, please do.

All that would really happen is that you'd have to bring Magentic and/or Impact damage against Corpus, which is something that should be happening anyways.

Really no point to Shield Gating on Corpus. The only reason that Impact and Magnetic are considered lackluster is because Toxin bypasses shields entirely, so there's not much reason to use anything but Toxin against Corpus. Toxin would also bypass shield gates. Stop Toxin from bypassing shields and I guarantee you that no one will feel like Magnetic and Impact are lackluster anymore without any changes to them.

Edited by Ceryk

3 minutes ago, Silvus-Sol said:

All that would really happen is that you'd have to bring Magentic and/or Impact damage against Corpus, which is something that should be happening anyways.

you act as if people already don't do that, the corpus is aids enough as it is, no need to make it even worse

yes they have better unit variants.  but hardly see myself completing a sortie 3 mission corpus  based.  i'd say for the part you mentioned about DE figuring it out, in the mean time this can ruin beginners experience.  New players pick up on how to use damage on enemies a little late.  you have to keep in mind its us on the other side who have survivability issues.  A single corpus tech with exams stronghold + an osprey will be as tough as defeating Lt Run if not tougher.  We just have to wait and see is Shield gating is not going to come along with enemy buffs.  And I will remind everyone that from the way DE is proceeding, Damage 3.0 is being given to us bit by bit.  it's like they preferred putting changes out 1 by 1 to see our response.  So I'm sure shield gating will come along with enemy upgrades of some sort.

59 minutes ago, bronzebonobo said:

you act as if people already don't do that, the corpus is aids enough as it is, no need to make it even worse

Because they don't... nobody gives a flying frak about shields. Not when armor is so much stronger. The highest HP Corpus units have but a fraction of the EHP that Grineer have. I mentioned it my other post that a level 140 Grineer Heavy Gunner has 3.5 million EHP while a level 140 Corpus Tech has just 195k.

3,500,000 vs 195,000

Which would you mod for? Which is a bigger issue?

Even at lower levels the difference is still huge. At level 50 it is:

69,000  vs 16,000

Granted this is all because of how broken armor scaling is, but so far DE hasn't really done a whole lot about it. So they might as well throw the Corpus a survivability bone. I figured that this bone could be used to make the two worst damages viable somewhat. Killing two birds with one stone.

But all anyone wants to focus on is that Corpus is annoying. *sigh*

3 hours ago, Silvus-Sol said:

Not before they remove armored units from Corpus roster. Currently they are the only faction which forces you to use at least two damage type setups to play to their weaknesses. And if you mod your gun vs bursa/ox osprey, Corpus Tech becomes just as hard to kill as Corrupted Heavy Gunner of the same level. It is not to mention Nullifiers which still (even with their drone) are bane of slow fire/single shot setups. So, no.

Edited by tutzdes

6 hours ago, Silvus-Sol said:

Before you flay me alive for suggesting that Corpus get a shield gate and tell me about how it will ruin low fire rate weapons, hear me out.

Except that is the only reason why Shield Gating should not be allowed for Corpus.

If people knew they can't 1 shot Corpus, they won't bring Snipers or Bows for challenge, people will just bring their Soma and Akstiletto Prime as usual. Shield gating won't provide equal challenge, it will be just gimping some weapons.

4 hours ago, Silvus-Sol said:

Because they don't... nobody gives a flying frak about shields. Not when armor is so much stronger. The highest HP Corpus units have but a fraction of the EHP that Grineer have. I mentioned it my other post that a level 140 Grineer Heavy Gunner has 3.5 million EHP while a level 140 Corpus Tech has just 195k.

3,500,000 vs 195,000

Which would you mod for? Which is a bigger issue?

Even at lower levels the difference is still huge. At level 50 it is:

69,000  vs 16,000

Granted this is all because of how broken armor scaling is, but so far DE hasn't really done a whole lot about it. So they might as well throw the Corpus a survivability bone. I figured that this bone could be used to make the two worst damages viable somewhat. Killing two birds with one stone.

But all anyone wants to focus on is that Corpus is annoying. *sigh*

You are missing the point getting all hung up on EHP numbers. It doesn't matter worth asterisks what the EHP is, Corpus are, right now, the most difficult faction in the game by far, not just "annoying". 

They need no buffs. Corpus buffs would just be silly at this point. The corpus need no survivability "bone". Paper EHP means a lot less when you consider all the tools the Corpus have, which you can't account for that way. Corpus need no help at all. 

Besides, the Corpus also do a ridiculous amount of damage too, you are comparing a heavy unit that fits more in the glass cannon category, to a heavy unit that isn't quite as much of a risk of one shotting you from across the room, but is going to obviously take more damage. It's not even a fitting comparison. Just like in general, the Corpus aren't the "tanky" faction, they are the tech faction, who have lots of interesting tools and high damage. Factions are not supposed to be clones, the Corpus don't need to be tanky overall. 

7 hours ago, KnightCole said:

COrpus easier to kill?  But they are as hell are far the hell more annoying.  Grineer are easier to kill cuz they dont have shield charging drones, bomb drones, knock down drones, kncok down moas, sniper Moas, remove your energy Moas, Mine Drones, Heavy Machinegun drones, Nullifiersx100, Bursas that get every trick in the book........

Do not forget the holy nullifier

8 hours ago, Silvus-Sol said:

No. There is no argument that excuses shield gating for enemies. It would absolutely ruin combat, and it wouldn't be fun. It doesn't matter what mandatory elements you think will be fun to build for, because it won't be. Shield gating should NEVER be on enemies.

10 hours ago, Silvus-Sol said:

sorry, but My Atterax is already out. prepare yourself for a good flaying!

it's a terrible idea. Corpus already have power-cancelling abilities, overpowered weapons (tech's Supra), Bursas and those goddamned orbs of death. and now you wanna give them the ability to survive one-shot attacks, essentially making snipers, shotguns and launchers useless and making them even MORE annoying to deal with at higher levels?

I have no idea what kind of benefit you see in your idea, but I can assure you it is outweighed a thousand fold by the downsides. HELL NO to corpus shield-gating! 

7 hours ago, System.Lord.Ra said:

Do not forget the holy nullifier

I didnt.  I did however, forget the laser beam doors, and gun turrets, along with the broken glass that breaks and forces you to hack a console under fire from like 30 guys, yet another annoying feature of the Corpus.  The Corpus, I avoid fighting them if at all possible.  I have less then 90,000 Corpus kills, but almost 300,000 Grineer kills.  Grineer and Corrupted are far more enjoyable to fight then Kerpus.  Corpus are harder to hit to, since they are smaller and move in unholy ways that makes tracking them sometimes very goddamn annoying.