Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Classes: Less Limitations, More Possibilities

(PSN)LoisGordils

Seeing as to how DE will continue to add Warframes (something I love). They will eventually come to a point where the Warframes will share similarities thematically. I had this crazy idea of creating Warframe classes in which Warframes with similarities could be grouped into. Examples with possible new concepts:

Covert Class: Focuses con Warframes with stealth capabilities. 

-Loki
-Ash
-Ivara

Agni Class: Focuses on Warframes that predominantly use fire.

-Ember
-Nezha

Fae Class: Focuses on "mythical" Warframes.

-Titania
-Oberon
-Chroma (Dragon...? 😓)

Glacial Class: Focuses on Warframes with ice based abilities

-Frost

-Floe

Brawler Class: Focuses on Warframes with a predominantly melee based kit

-Valkyr
-Excalibur
-Wukong
-Rhino

Sonata Class: Focuses on Warframes that use sound in their abilities.

-Banshee
-Octavia

Pathogenic Class: Focuses on Warframes that utilize poisonous or bacterial abilities

-Nidus
-Saryn

Aero Class: Focuses on Warframes with wind based powers.

-Zephyr
-Storm frame

Tenebris Class: Focuses on Warframes with dark, confusing or life-consuming abilities.

-Nekros
-Inaros
-Harrow
-Nyx

Ballistics Class: Focuses on Warframes that employ the use of firearms in their abilities

-Mesa
-Sniper frame
-Heavy gunner frame

Circa Class: Focuses on tricky, deceptive Warframes

-Card master
-Mirage

Astral Class: Focuses on Warframes with spatial abilities or based on celestial events.

-Nova
-Equinox (Day and Night cycles?)
-Limbo

Energy Class: Focuses on Warframes with energy-powered skills

-Mag
-Volt

Techno Class: Warframes that employ the use of gadgets or other advanced gear.

-Fenda
-Vauban

Terra Class: Warframes that utilize earthly or nature elements.

-Plant frame
-Beast frame
-Atlas

Aqua Class: Focuses on water-based Warframes.

-Siren frame
-Hydroid

Vitae Class: Focuses on Warframes with predominantly life-preserving abilities.

-Trinity

*Note that nothing changes. Neither gameplay wise or anything. It is, however, more organized*

Let's say you have this cool idea for an ice Warframe, but Frost already exists. Not a problem! This new Warframe would be an addition into the Glacial Class of frames. Allowing for another ice based Warframe with different abilities and kits

This provides us (community and DE) with even more creativity and less limitations because it eliminates the "X Warframe already has that theme, so you can't make another one" issues. :)

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

12 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

This provides us (community and DE) with even more creativity and less limitations because it eliminates the "X Warframe already has that theme, so you can't make another one" issues. :)

But this isn't a problem, and it doesn't limit creativity. If it was a problem, your solution wouldn't fix it.

It would be a decent way to organize warframes, considering we have a lot. Also classes could have a passive ability as well. The problem is most warframes could be considered "dual class" or more.

Edited by Lokime

13 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Elaborate

DE has said on several different devstreams that they're not even close to running out of themes or ideas for new warframes. Breaking them down into shared categories can be helpful from a metagame standpoint (e.g. "these are the frames that can heal") so players can figure out what they might want to try, but from a creativity standpoint it's neutral at best, and a limiter at worst.

On 2017-6-11 at 5:49 PM, NinthAria said:

DE has said on several different devstreams that they're not even close to running out of themes or ideas for new warframes. Breaking them down into shared categories can be helpful from a metagame standpoint (e.g. "these are the frames that can heal") so players can figure out what they might want to try, but from a creativity standpoint it's neutral at best, and a limiter at worst.

A limiter? I made a plant Warframe concept once and someone had the nerve to tell me that "Oberon already is the plant Warframe, so no". If anything, not having proper classification is the limiter.

27 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Elaborate

The only thing this *might* affect would be community reception of thematically similar ideas. DE is in no way "limited" in the sense you are describing. They can release whatever they want, thematically similar or not, and the community can either accept or ignore it. Simply put, you've imposed your own limitation on creativity and presented your idea as a way to circumvent it... even though it's mechanically irrelevant.

Simply sorting Warframes into different "classes" doesn't change anything regarding what you can do with said Warframes. Don't get me wrong; organization is fine, but it doesn't have nearly as significant of an effect/benefit as you are suggesting.

On 2017-6-11 at 5:56 PM, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

A limiter? I made a plant Warframe concept once and someone had the nerve to tell me that "Oberon already is the plant Warframe, so no". If anything, not having proper classification is the limiter.

That would not be DE's problem with the elaboration of themes, that's just a community member being close-minded.

Plus there's already nothing preventing us from creating, as you exemplified, another Ice warframe.
We already had ember, didn't stop DE from making Nezha.
Had Valkyr with an exalted weapon, got excalibur with an exalted weapon.
Got Stasis Limbo, now Stasis Harrow.

You get the idea, the themes are similar, but the powers are diversified.

This post is wrong on so many levels that i dont know where to start from 
first warframe is not a class its a character, we refer the to "classes" cus they feel different from each other and "class" is the closest most knows word we can call them 
They are Warframes with different arsenal of abilities 
Invisibility of loki is not the same as ash for example and they are made for different play styles. 

On 2017-6-11 at 5:56 PM, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Then somebody disagreed with you (wrongly, I think, because Oberon has basically nothing to do with plants), but that doesn't automatically prove your point. Building thematic classes that every warframe has to fit into is the definition of a limitation; it sets clear boundaries between one type of thing and another. Boundaries can be important when thinking creatively--otherwise it's easy to end up with a mess of things that have no clear focus--but in a game like warframe, and especially in the case of the warframes themselves, which are supposed to be individual and singular designs (to say nothing of all the potential gameplay/mechanics overlap, like healing, buffing, CC, damage, etc.), I don't think it'd help anything to draw the line any further than "this is the swordsman frame," "this is the gunslinger frame," "this is the faerie frame," etc. At worst, it could lead to DE being pressured into making new frames based on demand for a subclass ("new gunner frame when?") rather than exploring new themes.

It is, as I said, somewhat useful for a metagame standpoint, as it allows players to better find what they're looking for in a new frame. But that's more a role/gameplay classification than a thematic one.

There really is no reason at all why there cant be "2 ice-themed frames" with the way DE is handling it now. We already have 3 fire themed frames, after all. Categorizing frames would be a community thing, and wouldn't be needed for DE to do themselves. It doesn't increase creativity any way, and could actually sway people's initial idea of what a frame can do, putting arbitrary limitations on them, by slotting them into a category officially.

I personnaly like the idea of having a unique theme to each warframe but nothing prevent some warframe to share the same theme in a different perspective, like how Ember and Nezha are both fire frame but Ember is pure fire while Nezha is based on the "Nezha" asian god.

3 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

A limiter? I made a plant Warframe concept once and some retard had the nerve to tell me that "Oberon already is the plant Warframe, so no". If anything, not having proper classification is the limiter.

That guy must not know what's a plant.

16 hours ago, Fugana said:

This post is wrong on so many levels that i dont know where to start from 
first warframe is not a class its a character, we refer the to "classes" cus they feel different from each other and "class" is the closest most knows word we can call them 
They are Warframes with different arsenal of abilities 
Invisibility of loki is not the same as ash for example and they are made for different play styles. 

Not sure where to beginn with...first..

Hi buddy 😉

Ofc we have classes in WF hidden or not does simply not care. We even have "weapon-tiers" hidden or not does not care.

Loki/Ash are 2 total different "classes" while sharing 1 ability acting almost same but for different reasons.

Ash is a real "DD-Class" his core-job is damage dealing.

Loki is a "Infiltrator-Class"  aka "Light Carry "with AoE disabling kit, to manipulate enemies while standing unseen within them. His core is to infiltrate silently/unseen the frontfield.

One is total focused on damage dealing while the other is focused on infiltration. Both sharing 1 ability that grands stealth, Ash use it to disorientat shortly targets and survive (sub-skill), while Loki use it to infiltrate and disable targets standing within them (core-skill).

Ash could do his core job without stealth but loki could not do his core job without stealth.

----------

Rpg's always have characters (Chars). Every char is somehow bound to his military/offensive class and sometimes subClasses. 

Healthy frames can eat some dmg, standing in front of incoming source of dmg. While DD's do theire job 1 step behind them while caster/healer typs try to evade any little source of dmg. 

In WF, the main healer Trinity, is a hybrid. 1st Healer 2ndly Tank but offers Skill dmg-wise like nothing (tradeoff).

-------

WF got classes, hidden. Same for weapon-tiers. Just bc DE wants to go another way like most rpg games do, by hidding "Classes" or "Tiers", does not mean "hidding a class/tier" by not writting it somewhere, isn't there. No one can be so blind so see behind all this 🤔...