Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

add video tutorials to codex

(PSN)mmcareen

Hello, so I've been thinking a lot lately about new players, mostly those who leave the game before even giving it a chance.  I have always been one of those people when playing other games are, "Hey, you ever try Warframe, you should give it a try".  I have gotten a good few people to try it out.  A lot of them tried it but gave up within the first few hours.  Why?  Finished the first quest and ok now what?  There is no direction, you are just in your ship.  When I first started, I had someone help me out.  He didn't tell me everything, just bits and pieces, enough to get me going, get me hooked.  ONCE I was hooked, then I started looking up stuff on my own, looking on the wiki and other sources.  If I started the game, by myself, no help, 9 chances out of 10 I would have ended up like some of my friends, closed the app and loaded up another game.  So now that my reason why I'm suggest this is out of the way, time for my actually idea.

My idea is that the codex would have Tutorial videos.  Now these would be very short like minute and a half videos explaining different things about the game.

The reason why I am suggesting videos, and not text or any other kind of format is a pretty basic one actually.  These video tutorials, would be done by DE Rebecca videoing her own game as she quickly talks about the topic of choice.  So when DE changes stuff like cores to endo, star chart 2.0 to 3.0, keys to relics, those old tutorials are no good, but because they are done in video, there is no programing needing to be done.  DE Rebecca would just sit at her computer, record a new video herself then pass it to whoever to simply change out the video file with the old one.  Tutorial updated!

Tutorials would be simple

1. Reactor - Catalyst - Forma - a quick explanation of what they are and how you can get them.

2. Mastery - Just a quick explanation about 100 points per level, 200 per frame, and only getting mastery for leveling something up for the first time.

3. Modding - I've meet some pretty high MRs with a good few hours in a game who didn't have a clue about modding.  Even just the basics, damage mods go first, elements apply of your base damage, leveling up mods/endo

4. Progression - Star chart, junctions, frames drop from bosses

5. Damage 2.0 damage chart should be in the codex as well, not as a video just there under the same section.

So these would be very basic videos, between all of them, maybe 10 minutes run time IF that.  Like I said, the basics, not a complete run down.  Most games have this, having it in the codex, is the same as any other game having them in the options.  As stated above, reason for it being video instead of text like every other game, easier to update.

Now I also know, people are going to say its easy enough to go to the wiki.  You shouldn't have to though, you shouldn't have to leave a game to learn how the basics.  Yes DE shouldn't spent their time explaining everything in the game, but a few quick basic explanation would be perfect.  Its not a requirement to view, so anyone who wants to learn everything on their own, can.  It wouldn't bother any of the players who already know the basics as we wouldn't be forced to watch them.  It's something completely optional, that I think would help new player retention.

This should be in-game since the beginning; I'm surprised no one at DE did that so far. The game tutorial is so much poor; they just taught you the controls and that's it. There's the codex but no one new to the game should have to search for information in places that they never knew existed in the first place. In the last TennoCon, IIRC, they said that Teshin would be the perfect person to guide you throught the game. Forget the Lotus. Teshin doesn't even introduct himself to the game; he is just the Conclave guy that claim to be your Master and yet no one will ever see him until they play Conclave (which the game does not show you how to either) or The War Within. And yet, here we are. One year later and nothing has changed.

Yep.

I totaly agree with it. A beginner is confronted with so much stuff, he got no clue what to do with, or go to get something completed.  

The hole picture is not given to the beginner. 

Sometimes even 0 information at all. I am a player, informing me before i start a game, at different other sources outside of the game to reduce beginner failures. 

But most of the other players just, dwl game, install, press play, enter game and expect the game to lead them and then get lost at start what to do next...

As OP suggested would be the easy way to "lead beginners".

+1

6 hours ago, SoldierOS said:

I actually like the idea of Teshin doing the videos, because you are right, there is no introduction to him at all.  A quick inbox message with a transmission, Tenno, my student, I will instruction you in the ways of the gun and blade, this is your codex, here, I have placed valued information to help you on your journey.  Done, everyone receives that message early on and we have a tutorial that you can either view or ignore, but it would be there and you would know its there.  I like it.

23 minutes ago, (PS4)mmcareen said:

I actually like the idea of Teshin doing the videos, because you are right, there is no introduction to him at all.  A quick inbox message with a transmission, Tenno, my student, I will instruction you in the ways of the gun and blade, this is your codex, here, I have placed valued information to help you on your journey.  Done, everyone receives that message early on and we have a tutorial that you can either view or ignore, but it would be there and you would know its there.  I like it.

Exactly! I know DE has tons of stuff to be worried about, but I think this had to be priority. I mean, they keep the game fresh for people who already play, but what about the ones who are starting the game? Every time I see the region chat you just have to wait a few minutes to see someone asking: I'm in a ship, what I do now?" or "How do I get X resource"(That I can understand, the planet resources are still hidden behind the extractor icon, which makes no sense). 

The devs are proud of their 27 million registered people but are failing to see that most of them play the game for a few hours and leave later overwhelmed.

Btw, Teshin calls his students pupils :P 

So much this thread! I'm currently walking a couple new players through the game and there are so many aspects of the game that I have to explain. Obtaining segments and unlocking parts of the ship, dojos and their usefulness, what syndicates are or even what a relay is and how you access and use them. These are all things I've had to explain, and I feel those are all things that the game should thoroughly cover itself.

On a lighter note, it is funny to watch a new player freak out the first time they see someone use their operator/focus powers.

• 2 months later...