Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Playing Multi-player Cause FPS Issues?

Zappli

So there has been this problem lately where every time i load into a mission with one other player or a whole squad. The game's FPS just dives so low(approx. 30-35 FPS) that i can barely see what i am shooting at. when i go solo missions the FPS will stay at normal rates(approx. 60-80 FPS). it just seems as though the game is not able to process having 3 other players in one single mission, not to mention doing Law Of Retribution with 7 other players. the fps just dived. making it literally unplayable and my team had to abort because they were also having the some problem. This 'multiplayer FPS issue" is affecting the overall gameplay making it just not so good to play. This problem has to be addressed and fixed as soon as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a notable difference even on high-end gaming setups where FPS tanks when in a public match.
Compared to Solo, it is a huge drop. 30-60% of your overall performance in some cases. Worse for players with minimal requirement setups, and not so big of an issue for players with high-end machines.

Still an issue regardless.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

This always been the case but in U21 it seems to have gotten even worse (even when no one was doing anything or even if you were alone with no other players or effects showing up in both situations the FPS different between solo and multiplayer was evident).

There's also this weird very big FPS drop during the first minute on a multiplayer session, when I start a mission with others the first minute gives me abysmally low FPS, then after a while it goes back to normal. That didn't happen before and it's just weird.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a dude with a GTX 1080 and I get ~120-160 FPS in solo missions. Even when there aren't many enemies and particle effects going on, multiplayer causes me to drop to 60-80 fps.

It honestly feels horrible (since I got my 144Hz monitor anything below 120fps looks choppy and has a huge input delay). I still have no idea why it happens, but it's been this way since I started playing. Even when I had a 60Hz monitor, the input delay when running at 60 fps compared to 120fps was very noticable. I noticed the same exact issue in every game based on the UE3 engine I played before, and I assume it's linked to how poorly the engine handles CPU usage with multiple players in game.

The Evolution Engine could have the same issue.

On 23.07.2017 at 4:40 AM, Vougue said:

I'm a dude with a GTX 1080 and I get ~120-160 FPS in solo missions. Even when there aren't many enemies and particle effects going on, multiplayer causes me to drop to 60-80 fps.

It honestly feels horrible (since I got my 144Hz monitor anything below 120fps looks choppy and has a huge input delay). I still have no idea why it happens, but it's been this way since I started playing. Even when I had a 60Hz monitor, the input delay when running at 60 fps compared to 120fps was very noticable. I noticed the same exact issue in every game based on the UE3 engine I played before, and I assume it's linked to how poorly the engine handles CPU usage with multiple players in game.

The Evolution Engine could have the same issue.

How many RAM do you have? I also have GTX 1080 and the game runs perfectly smooth under any conditions. My other specs are Intel i7-7700k, Kingston Hyper-X 2x8GB RAM.

On 7/24/2017 at 7:26 AM, Ksaero said:

How many RAM do you have? I also have GTX 1080 and the game runs perfectly smooth under any conditions. My other specs are Intel i7-7700k, Kingston Hyper-X 2x8GB RAM.

I have an Intel Core i5-3570 and 2 8GB sticks of DDR3 RAM.

I get a smooth 144 fps in high intensity situations when solo, but it always goes down to 60 to 100 when there are other players in-game. Also, lowering game settings give me ~10 extra fps in solo, but have no effect in multiplayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Weirdly enough, that never happened to me on my old PC running i7-960, 8 gigs of RAM and a GTX660 with the game installed on an SSD

And then i upgraded...

Now I'm running an i7-7700k, 16gb and a GTX1080Ti on Win10 and the game still on an SSD. I'm getting around 450 fps on my ship and around 300 fps while playing solo, with everything turned up to max, except for PhysX (more on that below). It doesn't matter what's happening on screen. Just as soon as everybody loads in, my fps immediately tanks from 300 to 100 and then further down, until it reaches 70-60fps or even lower than that. Then it returns back to 450 once the mission is over. The settings are also irrelevant, as this happens on low, medium or high settings.

As for PhysX, i had to completely disable it, as i lose around 50 fps per mission with it enabled. Like, I'm starting out with 450 fps and each mission I'm running, my fps is consistently cut by 50 fps. So one mission would be 400 fps, then 350, then 300 and so on, right up until the point when the game starts to stutter during camera movement and I'm forced to restart it.

Like i said, never happened to me before on a very old PC and yet...

It is now August 13 as I'm posting this response and I'm still getting this issue. 

My setup:

Alienware 15 R3

i5-6300HQ @2.7 GHz

8GB RAM

GTX 1060 6GB

When I'm playing solo with everything on the highest settings, I get 70-90fps, but when I play with 3 other players it goes down to 30-40fps. It has gotten worse even after the recent patches and hotfixes. earlier I played with a squad, Volt Prime (Me), Frost Prime, Nidus, and Limbo. The game was really crazy that my fps went down below 20fps. It makes me wonder if did I really need a GTX 1060 or high speed NASA type of internet. It's so frustrating how the Earth Remastered and Harrow Update made the game's fps worse, and now they're saying that Plains of Eidolo, A HUGE GRAPHICAL CHALLENGE  because of its open world feature, is supposedly going to run fine on low end old gaming setups... 

BRUH.. I have a GTX 1060 and it can't even run 60fps consistently. 

On 8/10/2017 at 7:55 AM, r3fLuX said:

I experience similar problem tbh... but found something more

Cb60avp2qTakzNX8DnfsXtBd3?token=eyJhbGci

pCVUuSSYuqywv8JOxaQNl6YWx?token=eyJhbGci

Screen 1 GPU Usage 22% - 74fps
Screen 2 GPU Usage 94% - 500fps+

Legit optimization tho.

This actually might be really useful for solving the issue. If you can get more examples of different tilesets and player counts, that would be really nice.

Also, do you have any ideas as to why the engine (supposedly) restricts/throttles GPU usage when there are other players?

Edit: Just noticed CPU usage is barely any different despite the higher amount of calculations that are happening. Weird...

Edited by Vougue

I got alot of screenshots and an open ticket with DE from 15 days now.
my CPU usage on my ship is below 20%, tho during missions stays at around 30-50, sometimes it goes higher than 70% but thats on heavy load by "something".

Things that I've tried so far : 
Verify and Optimize after every change 
Dx10 off Dx11 off 
Dx10 on Dx11 off 
Dx10 off Dx11 on 
Dx10 on Dx11 on 
64bit on/off 
V-sync On/Off NVCP+Ingame on 120Hz 
Using 2nd SSD just for Warframe 
Warframe on my HDD /5400rpm/ 
Removing every background program 
Using only Display Driver w/o Nvidia ctrl panel 
Changing every possible thing in the Display Options, including Resolution 
Changed my Mainboard with my old one. 
Enabled One Core Per CU which led to 1rst/3rd/5th working only 
Disabled 2nd/4th/6th core 
Changed my Fx6300 with my old Phenom II 965 BE 
Swapped my GTX680 with an GTX560 
Went with my 2nd SSD and the GTX680 to a friend with i5-4460/GTX760 
Took his 760 to test on my PC 
Normalized my Fx6300 to 3400Mhz per core /stock frequency/ 
Went ham on it 5Ghz 1.55voltage 
Changing the power limit of the GTX680 to 132% 
Overclocked the GPU Core clock from 1006 to 1200mhz /went bit over voltage tho/ 
Changed my ram to 1333mhz 1.5v - moved it back on XMP Profile 1600Mhz cl9 
Dumped every setting off and "Low" from ingame , Nvidia ctrl panel everything off /sort of/.

Thats on a TICKET too... and DE responded : http://imgur.com/FQ0PP5u

So You can imagine my frustration about that :(

Edited by r3fLuX

:Noticed your list doesn't specifically state you tried disabling Shadowplay. Maybe that's what you meant by the nvidia control panel? If not, try and disable the Nvidia Capture Server. That's fixed all my problems like low GPU usage, FPS drops, stutters and the game freezing with a still image while playing in the background. Detailed here: 

Can confirm that disabling Shadowplay does absolutely nothing. 250-430 fps while playing solo, 55-90 fps while playing in squad, sometimes dipping below that.

Again, pretty weird how a 7 year old PC handles the game better on 'High' settings than a brand new i7-7700k with a 1080ti that can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it.

For those with Nvidia cards, perhaps see if the Physx bug has come back, as seen here:

If your framerate improves then perhaps bump that thread so [DE]Glen can take a look at it again, though from what i understand, PhysX is more on Nvidia's end to fix than [DE]Warframes. Why Nvidia fixed it in the first place is a bit of a mystery, so i'd guess the issue was prevalent across other titles but to lesser degrees - but i digress...

Other than that, actually try running the latest drivers and see what happens.

On 8/10/2017 at 11:55 PM, r3fLuX said:

I experience similar problem tbh... but found something more

Cb60avp2qTakzNX8DnfsXtBd3?token=eyJhbGci

pCVUuSSYuqywv8JOxaQNl6YWx?token=eyJhbGci

Screen 1 GPU Usage 22% - 74fps
Screen 2 GPU Usage 94% - 500fps+

Legit optimization tho.

In the first scene, the game is actively calculating game logic, AI, etc. All CPU side tasks that can't be run any faster without increasing the IPC of whatever CPU your are currently using (more on this later).

The second screen is literally your frame sitting in front of a blank background, with little to no run-times associated with an actual mission - No CPU heavy tasks. Scene complexity is minimal, 1 HQ mesh representing the warframe, and a few simple meshes in the background. CPU doesn't have much to prepare, and GPU doesn't have much to render. There is no AI active, no (de)buffs, no complex logic, no texture streaming/spot loading, no AI spawning...etc, etc.

GPU's are 'dumb'(loose explanation!) processors, they can't go through your system to find what they need to do work so everything they do is provided for them by the CPU. This is where the phrase "CPU bottleneck" comes from.

If the CPU can't prepare a frame for the GPU to render, the GPU can't do anything.

Having nothing complex to calculate, the CPU can prepare frames for the GPU as fast as the GPU can render them. This is why in the second shot the GPU is pegged at ~95%. In the first shot, your CPU is actively doing things other than preparing frames for the GPU to render which is why its usage does not change between the two screens.

On 8/22/2017 at 1:12 AM, r3fLuX said:

its still called "BAD" Utilization, which I dont think it will be fixed , cos it first appeared back in 2012 , yet its still hitting xD

"Bad" utilisation is a bit of a misnomer. I believe you said you had an FX 6300 cpu. There isn't a simple description for this CPU in terms of core count and threads - though it is usually listed as 3c/6t.

In actual fact, the FX series of CPU's has 3 FPU's (2 for the 4xxx, and 4 for the 8xxx series), with 1 FPU paired with a set of Integer units. These 3 units together make up the "core". If you do heavy integer work, your CPU can use 6 "cores", but if you do heavy floating point work (like games) then you technically have 3 cores (that will bare the heavily lifting at least!). While games favour the FPU, the int unit is still used but to a much lesser degree (but this varies from game to game).

TL;DR
As read through MSI afterburner: in a game, 50% CPU utilisation can be considered the max-ish of the FX-6300. With higher numbers representing workloads asking more from the int units.

Off the top of my head, the only title i know of that uses ints heavily is the Witcher 3, and even then only when running through the city - so probably generating a bunch of numbers for everything that it streams in (NPC clothing and number for example).

Have the same issue, when i play solo, my gpu is at 100%, as soon as alteast one person joins me, even though there are not many effects or enemies, the game starts going closer to the 60 fps mark from 120fps when in solo mode. If there are 4 ppl in the group, many enemies, the gameplay is plain awful and CPU usage is not even 100%, wtf. When playing solo my cpu usage goes higher and higher until my gpu usage is 100%. but oh well, I would like to play with people, so please fix this. 

My specs are:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 940M

On 28/8/2017 at 6:42 PM, -Mimic- said:

And yea, changing settings to the lowest possible have no effect AT ALL on the performance, only gpu usage goes down even more and thats it. 

Same for me,in solo i can spam all the effects that i want at medium high presets(using mutalist cernos for creating clouds everywhere and saryn prime spreading infections with a big bunch of enemies on screen all in 1080p)and still getting my beloved 60-70 fps(locked) but as soon as other player enters in mission if i set everything to low presets at 720p my fps drops as bad as 40-45,i can say for sure that the problem aren't the addictional effects on screen due to the other frames abilities, did a mission with 4 excalibur all equipped with only a bow and never used a single ability, guess what, fps were still bad.Also if this could help the drops starts when the first enemy on screen appears and then it carrys along for the rest of the mission, it could be a problem with the game IA perhaps?But i dunno.

My specs are:

Laptop HP ak-112nl

CPU:intel core 6700HQ from 2.9 to 3.2 ghz

RAM:8 Gb ddr3 

GPU:Nvidia gtx 950m 4gbddr3 Vram

Windows 10 64 bit.

• 1 month later...