Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma Rework Idea. Feedback is appreciated

WatchfulTag158

So here is the listing and ideas for the changing of Chroma’s abilities and passive

• Firstly we are gonna go over his passive. His passive as it stands, shouldn’t be a passive and should be changed. He would have in theory 2 passives but one is needed to have his new 1st ability to work. This new passive would allow him to have 4 energy colors (one for each respective element) require you to have at least 2 for his 1 to be used.

• His 1st ability: Elemental Circle (place holder) Ability: Allows the player to cycle through the selected elementals similar to Vauban and Ivara’s cyclable abilities respectively. holding the 1st ability key would activate Spectural Scream.

• His 2nd ability: Change the effects of Electric to be an AOE stun at a base 25m range base affected by mods, instead of the single target shock, and have a 100% chance to proc Electric. Toxic now has no negative affect on reload speed when using negative power strength and has the added affect of giving extra Toxic damage on all attacks with a 100% proc. Range to affect and buff abilities is now 25m without being affected by allies and is recastable. 

• His 3rd ability: Stays the same just make recastable with a penalty of its present values being reduced by 25% for Scorn and 50% for Fury to avoid becoming too powerful or too weak. {i.e. at a power strength of 200%, max Scorn is 600% and Fury is 350%. On recast Scorn is reduced to 450%: [600-(600 x .25)] and Fury is reduced to 175%: [300-(300 x .5)].

• His 4th ability (in credit to Triburos for this idea): make Chroma’s 4th a 2-part ability where it is still a toggle, but there is tap-or-hold setup where tapping it would result in the normal effigy turret. Holding the button will reward you with becoming a flying dragon (or something similar). You would be stripped of your weapons but given the ability to breathe your selected element, dealing your element as the main damage. You also can alternate fire to do melee based attacks.

Leave suggestions for changes under this forum link so I can see it. Thank you all and have a good day!

Edited by WatchfulTag158
Adding and changing based on feedback.

With your proposed rework, Chroma becomes a much more versatile Warframe. If his first ability allows for cycling between his elements, playing with him will become much more than just watching to make sure your buff timers don't run out. Right now, playing Chroma is almost like watching a kitchen timer, and nothing more.

In addition to the first ability cycling between elements, I think it should also incorporate the current version of Spectral Scream into it. Pressing 1 will cycle between the elements, and holding 1 will activate the Spectral Scream of that element.

Making his second and third abilities recastable is great, but I don't understand the reasoning behind the diminishing returns of your proposed Vex Armor rework. I think it makes more sense to keep the Scorn and Fury buffs at their current cap, even on recast.

Also, I love Triburos's idea of making him an actual dragon instead of a power ranger wearing a dragon coat. You suggested that melee attacks should be his alternate fire and breath attacks should be his primary fire. I think that the melee attacks should become the primary fire and the alternate fire will be a CC blast of your element (similar to the blast Effigy does currently).

40 minutes ago, WatchfulTag158 said:

So here is the listing and ideas for the changing of Chroma’s abilities and passive

Would it be possible for you to edit your post and de-bold everything except perhaps key points.  Everything being bold is quite stark and a bit hard on the eyes.

41 minutes ago, WatchfulTag158 said:

Ability: Allows the player to cycle through the selected elementals similar to Vauban and Ivara’s cyclable abilities respectively.

This has been suggested a lot and many have pointed out that access to all 4 elements instantly could be considered fairly OP.  My suggestion would be to lock in the element chosen for a duration, which then switch the entire 1st ability to its predecessor (spectral whatever) until such time its able to be recast (hold for returning to element selection).

44 minutes ago, WatchfulTag158 said:

His 2nd ability: Stays the same just make it recastable.

For a rework concept I would hope you'd address the issues of everything but ice being pretty underpowered.  Not to mention the problem with range versus duration which in my opinion is one of the biggest problems I have with Chroma right now.

Heya, Triburos here. Just chiming in for some additional thoughts I've had after creating that video:

I feel that all elements besides Cold, regarding Elemental Ward need to be buffed or have their effects changed, or atleast Electricity and Toxin.

Ice Elemental Ward is so @(*()$ strong that it dominates Chroma builds, since the armor boost is gigantic. I can certainly play without it, but it feels so much better to have Ice at the expense of fashion (white and/or black energy color isn't my thing, bah).

Sadly I have no ideas on how to make other elements as useful as Ice. Maybe something regarding energy regen for Electricity? No clue for Toxin. I guess you *could* nerf Ice Elemental Ward, but I'd really rather not. Fire is pretty decent since it *does* give a HP boost, but Electricity and Toxin need some work.

I also see no reason why Vex Armor couldn't be changed from just a Weapon Strength boost, to a full on Damage boost where all forms of damage output would benefit. So Spectral Scream would benefit from Vex Armor damage boosts, as would Effigy. It has a nice synergy to it.

Edited by Triburos

Even though it is a cooking timer for everyone, we can all agree that his first and 4th seem to be really lackluster. One of the reasons people like chroma is because of his tanking abilkity with his 2nd and 3rd ability. (as you know ofcourse) But it makes it so that his 1 and 4 is being underused because they are obsolete and not worth making a build around them. Augments give no benefit than standard mods because they are just simply not worth it. Effigy could have been pretty sweet, if it were to work like Titania/valkyr's ult. Making you the dragon itself. I really like the idea of it being both a toggle to make it a turret and hold to activate dragon mode were you are the effigy. 

The main issue with chroma as everybody states is that he is just a tank :I you go in a mission with white for your energy color and just make sure your 2nd and 3rd are active,and that makes up for a pretty boring gameplay since you are literally unkillable and your weapons do insane amounts of dmg.Which is the main reason i actually use chroma.I like going in missions with weaker guns and than using his 3rd to boost the damage to a more normal amount...since...you know,i dont get rivens :(   .

I like the idea of cycling elements,it could just have a huge cd and let you choose your starting element at the start of every mission.So like 180s cd? 

And yeah his effigy which should be his main and most interesting skill is used just for giving bonus armor :I 

So every element should be changed to be interesting and different in its own way.

Maybe for electricity you get a speed boost and zap enemies that come close,and that scales with the percentage of your vex armor,so the more scorn you have the stronger and longer the zap is and the more fury you have the greater speed boost you get.For toxin perhaps you get a status chance bonus on your weapons for more fury and a bonus reload speed for more scorn?

Just some quick ideas i had now.And your idea for the 4th is great,i want chroma the dragon frame to be more about..chroma the elemental dragon frame xD 

Not really sure about your other ideas (no strong feelings one way or the other), but I like where you're going on an update to Elemental Ward. The passive buffs on EW are alright as-is, but some are leagues more potent than others and the two you mention are currently underused due them not really fitting common Chroma playstyles (eg. Reload speed on Toxin). I like the idea of a one-time burst at the start of EW, but I think a full 100% proc chance for the duration would be a little too powerful (perma stunlock with electric or perma-DoT with Toxin) considering the damage Chroma can dish out with Vex Armor. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a boost to mobility on Electric EW.