Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

On January 9, 2018 at 8:21 AM, BornWithTeeth said:

Here is my opinion:

- seems interesting.

- Umbra looks like a cool ‘frame.

- The teaser suggests that it has to do with either Ballas himself or with the consequences of something he did.

- Let’s wait and see because we know very little else, that’s why it’s a teaser.

- Christ I hope DE don’t go with the profoundly lame and awful idea that the first generation of Warframes were the parents from the Zariman who magically survived through the power of retcon so that the Tenno can be wondrously revealed to be 100% innocent and never did anything wrong ever because they are magically beautiful innocent wholesome saviour space children after all, and Transference is really the power of Love.

Sweet Jesus Christ DE NO!

I think DE is foreshadowing the opposite.

The theme of "Space Mom and her island of misfit toys/children doing what needs done to survive in a harsh Tennoverse" is a bubble that is going to be blown up...

Basically we've been living as Ordis...and the reality is that we are ORDAN KARRIS.

Margulis performed an equivalent mind wipe to protect us from ourselves with a "return to innocence".

Ballas, being the Ultimate Pragmatist, is going to casually and brutally reveal to us our true nature, and then it will be our CHOICE to accept/Embrace it, Acknowledge and control it, or reject it and redefine ourselves.

At least that is my hope.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

26 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

I think DE is foreshadowing the opposite.

The theme of "Space Mom and her island of misfit toys/children doing what needs done to survive in a harsh Tennoverse" is a bubble that is going to be blown up...

Basically we've been living as Ordis...and the reality is that we are ORDAN KARRIS.

Margulis performed an equivalent mind wipe to protect us from ourselves with a "return to innocence".

Ballas, being the Ultimate Pragmatist, is going to casually and brutally reveal to us our true nature, and then it will be our CHOICE to accept/Embrace it, Acknowledge and control it, or reject it and redefine ourselves.

At least that is my hope.

As I say every time it comes up, I agree that that would be cool, but I don’t for one instant believe that DE have the storytelling chops to do that and make it work, or the stones to even try and deal with the contradictions of their setting. Someone at DE loves the magical precious innocent space orphan saviour story, and that’s what is locked in.

3 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

As I say every time it comes up, I agree that that would be cool, but I don’t for one instant believe that DE have the storytelling chops to do that and make it work, or the stones to even try and deal with the contradictions of their setting. Someone at DE loves the magical precious innocent space orphan saviour story, and that’s what is locked in.

DARE TO HOPE.  You are already a pessimist, so your membership to clan Disappointment-Eternus means you cannot be harmed.

Unless you are a closet optimist with a vulnerable, caring heart, you SOFTIE, YOU!  *Pinches cheeks*

Wouldn't it be interesting if the man in the wall, the other operator, takes over a warframe and you have to fight your own warframe in your own ship? Just saying...  wish it could be

OH one important thing. I really wish it's not a short quest like chains of Harrow. I want a real big story anyway. 

Edited by Crimson_Ruby_313

7 hours ago, Ksaero said:

IMO that's exactly what's going to happen. Unlike Excalibur Prime in global build, Excalibur Umbra Prime in China build is always accessible, but only for real money. So no one is truly restricted from getting it. Chinaframe even sells their founder pack with discounts.

lqef7df3_o.png

If I buy founder pack can it be for PS4 or it’s PC only?

2 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

DARE TO HOPE.  You are already a pessimist, so your membership to clan Disappointment-Eternus means you cannot be harmed.

Unless you are a closet optimist with a vulnerable, caring heart, you SOFTIE, YOU!  *Pinches cheeks*

This is called realism. And the thing is, someone in DE is fixed on the horrendous trope @BornWithTeeth repeated like three times on this page (and caused me huge ocular blood loss). This game is about magical space girls kids, it will remain such, and it will eventually shut down while being about those.

Edited by Teloch

3 hours ago, Teloch said:

This is called realism. And the thing is, someone in DE is fixed on the horrendous trope @BornWithTeeth repeated like three times on this page (and caused me huge ocular blood loss). This game is about magical space girls kids, it will remain such, and it will eventually shut down while being about those.

Allow me to explain my "hope".

Warframe is at a pivotal cross-roads with our character and needs to go in a definitive direction to avoid thematic confusion.

Look no further than NPC Konzu:

With unabashed affection for your PC (or is he just manipulating our egos?) he pronounces in his best Disney Movie voice:

"Swazdo-Lah, KILLER!"

Because the concept of (and skill needed for) writing a cohesive story around ever-evolving game mechanics with minimal backstory is a relatively new Artform with limitations, I give DE a bit of a pass.

I still VERY MUCH see a commitment to the Storytelling Cycle of Joseph Campbell's monomythic "Hero's Journey".  The storytelling Arc and key supporting characters all line up.

Within this cycle, there comes a point in the Journey where our hero has to grow beyond his/her limitations and face the adversities of reality in a "man vs self" crisis moment.

I use "hero" loosely here because that growth through adversity can also be dark and tragic.

One moment Luke Skywalker was being trained as a magical space-knight-ninja by a wise Master with moral authority to avenge his father's death and destroy the Empire with supreme confidence.

The next moment he finds reality revealing that his Master is a liar and a failure, and that his father is alive and using that same moral authority to commit acts of evil and cut his hand off and recruit him.

I foresee this type of twist as a very real possibility.

The Lotus/Margulis might be our "Obi-One Kenobi"...and Ballas the one to expose the lies...or reveal the truth, depending on your perception.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 12:47 PM, (Xbox One)EternalDrk Mako said:

i dunno 

ive had discussions of this type before

the possibility is that Excalibur umbra dosnt come to china frame 

but then it could also as its only a visual copy of the founders, locked behind lots of content points in the game 

as an globals umbra Excalibur =/= Excalibur umbra prime 

as that unit has prime passive and not the umbra mechanic , so in theory it could drop the quest in chinaframe without causing an issue, or possibly another umbra drops there that we get at a later date  

their contracts always state that they could change at any time for essentially any reason. Even the warframe global could potentially release excal prime just because they feel like it. I mean they probably won't but the china frame isn't run by DE to the same extent so it is absolutely not off the table.

3 hours ago, (PS4)EmilsTekcor said:

their contracts always state that they could change at any time for essentially any reason. Even the warframe global could potentially release excal prime just because they feel like it. I mean they probably won't but the china frame isn't run by DE to the same extent so it is absolutely not off the table.

What you saying is. DE could have a Secret Quest for CN-WarFrame for Excal Prime.  (CN Only)

And while DE has 365Day/Year Sale for Excal U P? The Least DE can do is Polish Excal P and Excal U P. 

Unless 90% of WarFrame Community come back and make Special Request, DE don't have to change Excal P. 

Prob not Happening, Fun to think.

8 hours ago, (PS4)slayerserenity said:

If I buy founder pack can it be for PS4 or it’s PC only?

ChinaFrame servers were closed on PSN on July 24th, 2017 due to a very low population. The current founders pack in China is only for PC as of now. Xbox is unsupported. And to actually participate in China’s warframe, your ChangYou account must have a Chinese ID and credentials.

Edited by (XB1)OTF SERENiTY

3 minutes ago, (Xbox One)OTF SERENiTY said:

Also - 

Does anyone keep track of what update ChinaFrame is at? I recall last time they were just getting Equinox when the PC global build received the Second Dream. They were pretty far behind but I don’t know where they’re at now. 

Just checked their website and it seems Harrow and Oberon Prime are the latest additions, although Hydroid Prime is available as well.

Edited by NightmareT12

Just now, (Xbox One)OTF SERENiTY said:

Also - 

Does anyone keep track of what update ChinaFrame is at? I recall last time they were just getting Equinox when the PC global build received the Second Dream. They were pretty far behind but I don’t know where they’re at now. 

They have Plains of Eidolon, for what it's worth.

Unsure if they've already gotten plague star.

6 hours ago, DesFrSpace said:

What you saying is. DE could have a Secret Quest for CN-WarFrame for Excal Prime.  (CN Only)

And while DE has 365Day/Year Sale for Excal U P? The Least DE can do is Polish Excal P and Excal U P. 

Unless 90% of WarFrame Community come back and make Special Request, DE don't have to change Excal P. 

Prob not Happening, Fun to think.

yeah it's all hypothetical.

6 hours ago, (Xbox One)OTF SERENiTY said:

Also - 

If Chinaframe website's main page reflects latest updates, they are on Octavia's Anthem/Oberon Prime with Chains of Harrow announced. Though the announcement date is 08.25.2017 so I guess the website is half-abandoned.

Edited by Ksaero