Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

28 minutes ago, CaptainStrawberry said:

I've heard Excalibur Umbra Prime has a badge, is this correct?

4EC.jpg

True, it is Founder exclusive, and is called Gauvan Prime Sekhara.

• In the Chinise Build, Excalibur Umbra originated as part of their Founder's pack exclusive, named as Excalibur Umbra Prime. The pack also included the Nikana Prime and the Spira Prime (both of which were introduced in the Global Build with Saryn Prime instead), as well as the Gauvan Prime Sekhara, a shoulder accessory obtainable only through that Founder pack.

Citation from wiki.

Edited by Corial

Any Meta-Game sacrifice that permanently hinders collecting all-the-things is counter productive to DE. A good example was the Syndicate system. Back when you had to re-pay Prime items and Orokin potatoes to rank up Syndicates that hated you, people were functionally encouraged to create mule accounts despite Warframe's EULA and threat of having both accounts banned. It's why you aren't locked into your Focus school and can farm/RNG your way out of it.

It's why permanently sacrificing the ability to use Primes, or permanently losing your Operator are off the table.

Having to use an existing Warframe as the construction price for an Umbra would be a possibility. We already use Prime parts for Ducats and initial Syndicate buy-ins. We also use fully built weapons to construct variants. So either using non-prime (most likely) or prime (least likely) parts or fully built frames as the buy-in to an Umbra is on the table. Sacrificing a pre-built non-prime Warframe is not permanent, you can build it again. With the exception of various Quest frames, but we've been asking for DE to make those quests re-playable for roughly 2 years.

Replacing our Operator mode for "Umbra" powers, while using an Umbra frame is also a possible "sacrifice". In-story this would play out as us embodying the Warframe fully (as others have suggested) to take greater control over the Infested elements. I find this most likely as it would align with what we've been shown in the past regarding the Infested Arm Cannons. You chose to either use an Arm Cannon (Umbra Mode) or Operator Mode on #5 (on a frame by frame basis). Which could also mean still sacrificing a fully built frame in some way.

=====

Back before the Operators were a thing, my theory was that we were like the Golem or Lephantis, a kind of Infested Meta-Mind (or even some kind of Infested parasite creature). But we were limited to the "humans" we turned into Warframes using the components and blueprint templates. My theory that the reason the Warframes were gendered and there were duplicates, was that the Orokin created the first versions out of Zariman Ten-Zero survivors and through that made templates they could use humans with similar physiques and turn them into Warframes. Less body-snatcher, they (and we) cloned Zariman survivors instead of taking new humans.

We still don't know what Warframes are at base. From existing Lore, they were a kind of "war golem" project being tested in the Lua research facility. We also know that they had to bring in a "Infestation" expert once the Warframe project itself got fully underway. So it's logical to assume they are a type of Infested. Either using human base stock (natural or cloned), or fully engineered from the ground up. Something Biological, not Technological, to prevent the Sentient from hijacking it.

It's been hinted at in one of the devstreams that Umbra may actually be a person. Perhaps Umbra is the name of the man in the wall and we allow it to take hold of a warframe to make it an umbra?

Or perhaps it's unrelated and instead the stalker gameplay we saw at tennocon gets recycled into a Dark Souls-esque invasion system in which we sacrifice other tenno for our Umbra which I would actually be OK with.

2 hours ago, (Xbox One)EternalDrk Mako said:

hopefully devstream coming up

in another note, my projects in shading now , also planning to update op again ..hopefully today 

Hide contents

sketch1500824491717.png?width=898&height

Oh yh. I hope they can freely talk about Umbra now in the devstreams. Atleast not like before the teaser. 

I can imagine them wearing black scarves in the dev stream. 

Btw, it seems like your shading is improving!

6 hours ago, (Xbox One)VapidReaper said:

Or giving up the ability to use primes is even more crazy.

This is a ridiculous belief, yes.

6 hours ago, (Xbox One)VapidReaper said:

Sacrificing a frame just to have Umbra is ridiculous

This isn't.  I'm fully expecting to have to somehow give up an Excalibur to get an Excalibur Umbra.  Thus I farmed out parts to build an Excal in case it is needed.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to need to sacrifice a normal variant for an Umbra version.

36 minutes ago, CaptainStrawberry said:

Oh yh. I hope they can freely talk about Umbra now in the devstreams. Atleast not like before the teaser. 

I can imagine them wearing black scarves in the dev stream. 

Btw, it seems like your shading is improving!

yeah that would be funny , steve in black scarf 

hopefully this next dev stream they give us some info ..like some basis of umbras concept

completed art 

DFcWcgMXYAIkNM9.jpg:large

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako

33 minutes ago, (Xbox One)EternalDrk Mako said:

yeah that would be funny , steve in black scarf 

hopefully this next dev stream they give us some info ..like some basis of umbras concept

completed art 

DFcWcgMXYAIkNM9.jpg:large

Nice art!, oh dear if we get Umbra cosmetics for operators I'll buy em, never bought operator cosmetic before due to no interest.

Any idea when is the next Devstream?

what if the umbra frmae will be a companion tat we can equip gear on fromour arsenal? it is a wild idea but in any case im betting this idea is probably not the case and debunked before i even thought of it, far as the sacrifice goes it may be that we have to give up something or someone we meet in a quest if they make one for umbra. i have not really been trying to did too much into lore like other people but somehow it may be that we do give up a frame, unless the method has changed didn't we have to use parts from other frames to make chroma? far as sacrifice goes it may be similar to that.

China has Umbra Prime. Because china had its own Founder program and they couldn't use our normal Excal prime.

We get normal Umbra in a story as we cant get Umbra Prime. And DE wanted it to mean something.

Edited by Firetempest

3 hours ago, Miser_able said:

But it will be out soon™ anyway

Yes, 2018, given the PoE release and it being priority.

Anyway, yeah, they felt compelled to do "something special" with him, that being part of the cinequest trilogy which just happened to take more than 2 years ( and growing) post leak.

3 hours ago, Firetempest said:

China has Umbra Prime. Because china had its own Founder program and they couldn't use our normal Excal prime.

We get normal Umbra in a story as we cant get Umbra Prime.

If I can say something, every time someone brings this up (which by the way, isn't really what OP is asking), confusion occurs. Literally the only known difference between Excalibur Umbra and "Excalibur Umbra Prime" is the name. Unless his abilities are changed (which then ends up not making him 'Excalibur'), we're receiving the exact same model as seen in the teaser.

Edited by LazerSkink

Why do people still complain about not having Excalibur Umbra, even after the Tennocon 2017 annoucement ? The real question is why do people want a fake Excalibur prime with some stats tweak ?

Stop being sarcastic and let's answer the your question.
First, the chinese Excalibur is "Excalibur Umbra Prime", it's not that different but the one we will have may vary from this one. Maybe some color variation to not be gold (hard to say after the Sacrifice trailer but we dont know) or maybe some power variation if we go far. In fact, what we will have isn't exactly what Warframe China build has.

Next, how people already said on this topic, Excalibur Umbra will be introduced with a quest, called "Sacrifice". So, even if Excalibur Umbra is ready, the quest isn't and honestly, it will surely be more intersting that Excalibur Umbra itself since it will talk about lore, mainly about what exactly are warframes.

Now, for the exact "when", we dont really know but Plains of Eidolon will be released first and is supposed to come around late August to early September, so we can assume the Sacrifice quest will come at the end of the year or early 2018.